• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite |OT| Marvel vs. Capcom: 4 Female Characters

NotLiquid

Everytime I see Spencer in the story mode

Real talk I'm kind of shocked he has somewhat of a presence and gets some things to do.

Like I'm pretty sure he gets more to do than Hawkeye (and even kinda sorta Thor). He absolutely gets more to do than Nemesis, Dormammu, and Firebrand (which makes it all the more surprising that the latter two returned if one's going to argue that they based their in-game inclusions off of story).

I expected him to be background fodder.

OsirisBlack

Banned
so Thor plays nothing at all like he did in umvc3 and I absolutely fucking hate the down down motion to do dp moves. His uppercut dd seems fairly worthless and his command grab is much harder to follow up than it was in umvc3. His hammer toss and air lightning spark are really good and his new hammer smash is really really good you can hit someone from more than half screen away. The light version wall bounces and charged air mighty strike is godlike shit plows through everything. His air lightning combos are decent but I'm struggling to figure him out.

Thanos is just really good loving his qcb hk against online spammers free counterpunch into full combo and the shit stops a lot of supers also. It completely shuts iron man down. Breaks through proton cannon, uni beam and repulsor ray.

3.2k peak on launch day while SFV had 13k on PC at launch day... play matchmaking PC while you still can, it's going to be a discord / lobbies situation in a couple months. Thanks for no crossplay capcom.

T.O.P

Banned
3.2k peak on launch day while SFV had 13k on PC at launch day... play matchmaking PC while you still can, it's going to be a discord / lobbies situation in a couple months. Thanks for no crossplay capcom.

Yup, thank god that i only paid 20€ for it :|

FluxWaveZ

What type of play style to you tend to gravitate towards in a fighting game? Pick a character that look like a lot of fun to use and then pick character that can make up for your first character's weak points. For example, if you pick a big body like Hulk, then pick either a more keepaway character like Hawkeye or pick a fast rushdown character like Wolv-Captain Marvel.

Heh, I wish I knew. I've been thinking about having a keepaway heavy team because that sounds interesting, but I dunno.

If Phoenix Wright were in this, my problem would pretty much be solved since I'd be playing him, and whoever I thought worked best alongside him. I'm looking more at functions now since I don't have any real favorites in the roster yet, so that kind of balance could work.

It was obviously going to end up that way. The playerbase will be on PS4. No crossplay really sucks. It's the natural way to make the playerbase on all platforms bigger.

I do like the sound of the bolded. I was listening to commentators in exhibitions, though, and they were talking about how the game seems more rushdown/offensive based than MvC3, so I don't know how a Chris + Hawkeye + Time Stone (something I was considering) team would balance out in the future.

But yeah, while everyone's figuring out their own styles right now, I guess the right answer for now is whatever feels the best to you.

I am not. I hate command grabs because of the associated risk. If you're thinking of my time in SFV, I picked up R. Mika for literally these two reasons, and them alone:

1. She says "I'll totally make this look cool!" and "I'll kick your ass!" as signature quotes.
2. Her V-Trigger was the most alike a puppet character.

Point 2 really draws me to the Soul Stone, actually.

Maybe at a lower level, synergy won't matter too much. But looking at the exhibitions, it's obvious that players need to find ways for the characters in their team to properly complement each other for things to work out. At first, I was thinking that a rushdown character and a zoning character would make for a balanced team. Guess I'll think about that more.

True, why'd you pick up Abigail too then? But you also ran Rog at one point too, IIRC, and Necaili. Didn't know you like'd having a puppet character kinda thing.

Yeah, synergy is going to matter , but it's best to ruminate on it for a while and think about it like you said. The stones, being as they are, COULD make up for those weaknesses, so maybe the method is picking a team of characters you like to play and seeing if anything glaring can be filled by the stones you pick.

Dahbomb

Full blown keep away team doesn't work in this game just like it didn't really work in Marvel 3. You have to run one keep away person and one rushdown character/grappler. Or you can run two characters that can do a bit of both which is what a lot of people are running right now. Having at least one character that can do mix ups is very important in this game.

vazel

Banned
I don't doubt MvC:I will do worse on PC than SFV but the day isn't done, most of the west coast US is still at work/school.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Cultrual appropriation still exists in the Bionic Commando timeline
Convergence doing Iggy Azalea's career wonders.

I mean, you bought a fighting game on PC. This was inevitable.

brian!

i really hope the visibility it's gonna get from tourneys in the future spikes it, but im not holding my breath :(

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
how do you get over the "I can do these combos in training but as soon as I get a real match I panic and forget everything" hump?

It just eventually clicks I guess?

FluxWaveZ

True, why'd you pick up Abigail too then? But you also ran Rog at one point too, IIRC, and Necaili. Didn't know you like'd having a puppet character kinda thing.

Yeah, synergy is going to matter , but it's best to ruminate on it for a while and think about it like you said. The stones, being as they are, COULD make up for those weaknesses, so maybe the method is picking a team of characters you like to play and seeing if anything glaring can be filled by the stones you pick.

I've played a lot of characters in SFV for a very long time, yeah. I have a more successful time with command grab characters in that game, since playing Mika forced me to have a mind for it. That carried over to other characters. This is a different kind of game, though, so I can start anew.

But yeah, if I could say I had any kind of playstyle in FGs, it would be puppet characters hands down.

Full blown keep away team doesn't work in this game just like it didn't really work in Marvel 3. You have to run one keep away person and one rushdown character/grappler. Or you can run two characters that can do a bit of both which is what a lot of people are running right now. Having at least one character that can do mix ups is very important in this game.

Well that sucks, though maybe Chris is the kind of character that can do a bit of both? But yeah, mixups seem way more important in this game than a slower paced FG where overcoming and controlling the neutral might be more important, so that makes sense.

Aaaaaaand after a few online matches I instantly remember why I've never fully enjoyed MvC... just getting stuck in endless combo loops with little to no idea what's going on and resorting to button mashing even though I've been playing fighting games for 25 years and am a semi competent SF player. Sigh.

Dahbomb

Chris cannot do both for sure, he is pure keep away and not a good one at that either. Front runner for bottom tier character already, I would avoid him for now unless you run a solid air dasher plus Time stone with him.

how do you get over the "I can do these combos in training but as soon as I get a real match I panic and forget everything" hump?

It just eventually clicks I guess?
You don't have those combos in training mode yet. You think you do but you don't trust me. The game just came out, not even pros have consistency in landing combos yet especially in real life matches.

You have to practice combos until you can do them 99% accuracy in training mode. That means doing a combo 100 times in a row and maybe dropping it once or twice. Because that same 99% combo is going to turn into 89% consistency in real life matches due to nerves and characters moving around plus online environment.

Mechazawa

Yeah, turning down the AA to "Medium" along with turning off CA makes a huge difference to IQ.

20170919154542_1k0s35.jpg

20170919154931_14ys7z.jpg

Be nice if 3d fighting game devs would stop trying to make their games as blurry as possible.

AlexIIDX

Aaaaaaand after a few online matches I instantly remember why I've never fully enjoyed MvC... just getting stuck in endless combo loops with little to no idea what's going on and resorting to button mashing even though I've been playing fighting games for 25 years and am a semi competent SF player. Sigh.

This is gonna be me. Matches look so hype so I had to get it but I'm gonna be lost. I've even tried to watch matches with the sole purpose of focusing on understanding what's going on ,then the commentators freak out like "ooooooo that was siiiick " and I'm just thinking, w... What happened?

Dahbomb

You just got the game and you went straight into ranked mode without doing much training mode or other stuff. I mean I don't know what you were expecting here. Even people who know how to play MVC don't even want to play a human being until they have spent dozens of hours into training mode.

brian!

I've played a lot of characters in SFV for a very long time, yeah. I have a more successful time with command grab characters in that game, since playing Mika forced me to have a mind for it. That carried over to other characters. This is a different kind of game, though, so I can start anew.

But yeah, if I could say I had any kind of playstyle in FGs, it would be puppet characters hands down.

Well that sucks, though maybe Chris is the kind of character that can do a bit of both? But yeah, mixups seem way more important in this game than a slower paced FG where overcoming and controlling the neutral might be more important, so that makes sense.

this game is mix-up city and pretty dependent on who can churn out the most bullshit, it's amazing

smurfx

get some go again
anybody else loving gamora as much as i am? she's so fun to use. so many possibilities with her. any high level gamora videos out there?

This is gonna be me. Matches look so hype so I had to get it but I'm gonna be lost. I've even tried to watch matches with the sole purpose of focusing on understanding what's going on ,then the commentators freak out like "ooooooo that was siiiick " and I'm just thinking, w... What happened?

The problem with commentators for Marvel is that you're not gonna learn anything unless Spooky is there. Otherwise, you're gonna get people who hype up the game even more as a spectator sport. No offense to Marvel commentators obviously. I love Yipes

vg260

Yeah, turning down the AA to "Medium" along with turning off CA makes a huge difference to IQ.

Just to be specific, what did you set for the post-processing setting in-game, and where exactly did you add these two:
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
r.SceneColorFringe.Max=0

Thanks.

You just got the game and you went straight into ranked mode without doing much training mode or other stuff. I mean I don't know what you were expecting here. Even people who know how to play MVC don't even want to play a human being until they have spent dozens of hours into training mode.

That's not true at all. Some people just want to jump in and see how they do.
I think very few people spend dozens of hours in training mode before going into ranked, only the people who take the game very seriously.

I did spend a few hours in the other modes before hitting ranked, but it's day one, so no one in ranked has any real advantage beyond prior fighting game experience.

With MvC3 I remember jumping straight in and getting huge win streaks day one just because I had a basic knowledge of how to play fighting games.
This is absolutely not the case today though.

Gotcha. Seeing you talk about Abby on his discord kept me playing him so that's why I thought you were all about grabbin' but that makes sense. Wonder how a puppet character could work in Marvel...

AlexIIDX

The problem with commentators for Marvel is that you're not gonna learn anything unless Spooky is there. Otherwise, you're gonna get people who hype up the game even more as a spectator sport. No offense to Marvel commentators obviously. I love Yipes

Yea that's true lol. But I even know they're going nuts cause some dirty mixup or unblockable happened but I didn't see anything... But I really haven't watched too much marvel outside of some Evo matches over the years and I've barely touched it so it's to be expected. It's just so much faster than any other fighting game I watch or play....ill start my journey tonight.

Mechazawa

Just to be specific, what did you set for the post-processing setting in-game, and where exactly did you add these two:
r.SceneColorFringe.Max=0

Thanks.

Someone in the thread already mentioned it, but you need to go to steam/steamapps/common/Marvel VS. Capcom Infinite/MVCI/Saved/Config/WindowsNoEditor and in the Engine.ini file, add:

[SystemSettings]
r.SceneColorFringe.Max=0

The actual post-processing in game I left unchanged from High and the in-game anti-aliasing was bumped down to Medium.

Top Bottom