• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

LordRaptor

Nothing works. They work good with Snesx9.

Well, they appear on SNES screen. I press start to launch. Black screen and go back to menu.

Snes9x is super forgiving for things like bad dumps and messed up headers, but it will often throw up a text warning on starting a game.
If your games aren't on the "don't work" list, you might want to try using something like GoodSNES to verify you dumped it correctly

OmegaDL50

This is a definite improvement. It helps identify the box better when it’s resized.

Speaking of which, do we still need to take images like this and manually resize them? Even though I’m following the recommended dimensions, the original 21 boxes are taller and more visible than the modded ones I put in.

As for requests, I’d love a cool Demon’s Crest box without the crappy county fair gargoyle art, if that exists.

Yeah. I made them intentionally larger because the higher res assets are easier to work with when I'm editing them together in GIMP.

They should work just the same if you manually resize them to the size needed by the SNES Classic box arts.

RobRSG

Does anybody know if the SNES mini is capable of running CPS2 games on Retroarch? SFA2 on SNES is not enough for me. Hahaha

MoxManiac

So no matter how much you hack up your SNES mini, you can get it back to its previous unhacked state by reloading the kernel you saved, right? As long as you have the original kernel file saved, you cannot brick it?

I know this has been answered repeatedly but it sounds like people are doing a lot to their mini; i'd like to try it but I don't want to fubar things up.

B.K.

Does anyone have any screenshots of Seiken Densetsu 3 or Treasure of the Rudras? I'm curious how bad the text is. I tried playing Treasure of the Rudras on 3DS with Retroarch, but I never could get the text very readable.

Solrac

i was asking for this cover on the official thread, but looks like finally the community made one, so i leave this one here for someone that is interested

EprcRKJ.png

ParityBit

Can someone explain the pages/folder options a little better? I plan on putting on ROMS, but I do not want to restricted with the number if I choose to add a couple more over time.

LOUD915

I did everything right with the kernel dumping and custom flashing via Virtualbox.

I get all the way to the message about adding games, but it I can't do it.

I click the "synchronize select games" and I get the "waiting for your NES/SNES mini" box pops up.

1. Connect your NES/SNES Mini to the PC via USB cable. (it already was)
2. Turn it On. (it booted automatically while uploading the custom kernel)
3. Install Driver if it't not installed yet. (I just did that before)

Any idea what to do?

ktroopa

Eurogamer now has an article linking to this thread, how to hack the snes mini :D

Props to Robin64 for this thread and overall knowledge and helpfulness. Do you secretly work for nintendo mate lol...

Whales

Banned
I did everything right with the kernel dumping and custom flashing via Virtualbox.

I get all the way to the message about adding games, but it I can't do it.

I click the "synchronize select games" and I get the "waiting for your NES/SNES mini" box pops up.

1. Connect your NES/SNES Mini to the PC via USB cable. (it already was)
2. Turn it On. (it booked automatically while uploading the custom kernel)
3. Install Driver if it't not installed yet. (I just did that before)

Any idea what to do?

same thing happened to me, all I did was power off, unplug the snes usb, replug it and power it on (without using reset) then it worked fine.

Extra RetroArch cores: https://github.com/pcm720/retroarch-clover-extra

Most run well, some run OK (PlayStation), some run too slowly (Saturn)

The following modules are included:

mupen64plus (Nintendo 64)
snes9x2002 (Super Famicom/Super Nintendo)
snes9x2005 (Super Famicom/Super Nintendo)
caprice32 (Amstrad CPC), fixed and built by D_Skywalk, provided by 1lokolo1/nesito
fbalpha2012_neogeo (Neo-Geo), provided by 1lokolo1/nesito
fuse (ZX Spectrum), fixed and built by D_Skywalk, provided by 1lokolo1/nesito
dosbox (MS-DOS), provided by 1lokolo1/nesito and asper
mame2000 (various arcades machines), fixed and built by D_Skywalk, provided by 1lokolo1/nesito
mame2003 (various arcades machines), provided by asper
mednafen_ngp (Neo Geo Pocket), provided by asper
gme (various game music formats), provided by asper
handy (Atari Lynx), provided by asper (BIOS image required, consult module's readme.txt and libretro Wiki)
pcsx_rearmed (Sony PlayStation), suggested by asper, built by D_Skywalk and provided by Jelmer (BIOS image required, consult module's readme.txt and libretro Wiki)
emux_chip8 (CHIP-8), provided by asper
fmsx (MSX, MSX 2), provided by asper (BIOS image required, consult module's readme.txt and libretro Wiki)
mednafen_vb (Virtual Boy), provided by asper
mednafen_wswan (WonderSwan, WonderSwan Color), provided by asper
nxengine (Cave Story), provided by asper
o2em (Odyssey2 / Videopac+), provided by asper (BIOS image required, consult module's readme.txt and libretro Wiki)
prosystem (Atari 7800), provided by asper (BIOS image required, consult module's readme.txt and libretro Wiki)
vecx (Vectrex), provided by asper
yabause (Sega Saturn), provided by asper (BIOS image required, consult module's readme.txt and libretro Wiki)

LOUD915

same thing happened to me, all I did was power off, unplug the snes usb, replug it and power it on (without using reset) then it worked fine.

No good.

Getting the same error.

If I click 'install driver' I get the "NES Mini is not found"

LordRaptor

No good.

Getting the same error.

If I click 'install driver' I get the "NES Mini is not found"

I gave the same advice to someone else a few pages back but they never responded (which... I guess means it worked and they're now playing their snes?);
If you hold the reset button until you get the "Windows has detected new hardware" noise and popup, you held it too long - let go before windows does that and it should work

So there are people who can get Goof Troop to work?

It worked for me using the prerelease hackchi robin64 posted, but people are saying it doesnt work with the current one...?

I thought it might have a graceful "no frame" for a game launched without the line there, but instead it just crashes entirely. Ah well, back to the drawing board.

I dunno why it would crash when deleting the line, but instead of deleting it, you can just change it to this to make it do nothing:
Code:
  --decorative-frame-path) options="$options"; shift ;;

Then in the command line you have to specify the png file you want to use without the extension:
Code:
--use-decorative-frame /usr/share/backgrounds/12_dk/12_dk_4_3

I don't yet know how to make it automatically pick the right frame size, but this should work fine with most custom frames anyway.

Edit: Actually maybe this doesn't work? I did something to make it work before, but trying it again and now it's not. I have no idea.
Edit2 false alarm, it works, I'm stupid

I gave the same advice to someone else a few pages back but they never responded (which... I guess means it worked and they're now playing their snes?);
If you hold the reset button until you get the "Windows has detected new hardware" noise and popup, you held it too long - let go before windows does that and it should work

It worked for me using the prerelease hackchi robin64 posted, but people are saying it doesnt work with the current one...?

Nothing but a black screen for me sadly.

Weegee

Does anyone else thinks TMNT Turtles in Time looks really good on the snes classic? I was playing it last night and was actually impressed by how good it looked on an HD TV.

Does anyone have a Dragon Quest V & VI US box art? I know they didn't release here, but I would like my box arts to be similar.

Thanks.

beanman25

Couple of questions.

Could someone make me a NTSC cover for Sanrio world smash ball?

And I'm on r3 from a few days ago. I would like to upgrade. How exactly does that work? Just dropping new files? Or do I need to like resync the whole thing.

PMS341

Couple of questions.

Could someone make me a NTSC cover for Sanrio world smash ball?

And I'm on r3 from a few days ago. I would like to upgrade. How exactly does that work? Just dropping new files? Or do I need to like resync the whole thing.

What I did was download the new release, made a separate folder for it, and copied over my games_snes folder (as well as another folder I had made for the ROM files I had associated with them) and the art folder. Left the OG dump in the old folder, as the new release had me create a new dump of the kernel. Synced the games and was good to go, for the most part.

Yep. I messaged mntorankusu and he knew what was up.

I simply had to set the permissions for one of the files. He edited his post to add the important info. So, you can simply follow his post here to get it done.

Scanlines with no blur:

It is beautiful.

I'm curious if it is the same on the NES classic, 'cause I can't stand the blurriness there either.

Perfect, thanks for posting this.

LOUD915

I appreciate the help.

Like I said, I'm using virtualbox. I'm a mac user.

Should I start over from scratch?

Like I said, Everything worked perfectly until I try to sync games.

The system is already on after installing the custom kernel and it simply will not sync.

LordRaptor

I appreciate the help.

Like I said, I'm using virtualbox. I'm a mac user.

Should I start over from scratch?

Like I said, Everything worked perfectly until I try to sync games.

The system is already on after installing the custom kernel and it simply will not sync.

Wait, did you already install the hakchi kernal? If yes, you don't have to do the 'hold reset' thing anymore, just turn it on while its connected

if no, sorry man, although I don't know why it wouldnt work virtualboxed, Im using a windows desktop

i know everyone's tastes vary but is there a list of 10-20 "essential" games that would be the first to add?

obviously chrono trigger, was thinking about the other 2 donkey kong country games, earthworm jim, tmnt..

jholmes

i know everyone's tastes vary but is there a list of 10-20 "essential" games that would be the first to add?

obviously chrono trigger, was thinking about the other 2 donkey kong country games, earthworm jim, tmnt..

Four games that I think are really sorely missing from the collection are Pilotwings, Sim City, Chrono Trigger and Legend of the Mystical Ninja. Not saying those are the best four games not on the system, just the four off the top of my head that I think should really be there.

LOUD915

Wait, did you already install the hakchi kernal? If yes, you don't have to do the 'hold reset' thing anymore, just turn it on while its connected

if no, sorry man, although I don't know why it wouldnt work virtualboxed, Im using a windows desktop

Thanks.

I put the original kernel back on.

I'm going to try on a whole new Mac.

Start from scratch totally.

Very weird. Maybe its the USB ports or something

I'lll post results shortly.

PMS341

Some that came to mind:

Breath of Fire 2
Captain Commando
Chrono Trigger
Donkey Kong Country 2/3
Final Fantasy IV/V
Final Fight 2/3
Gradius 3
Illusion of Time/Gaia
Lufia 2
Megaman X2/3
Secret of Evermore
Seiken Densetsu 3/Secret of Mana 2
Super Mario All Stars + World
Sunset Riders
Super Smash TV
Terranigma
Turtles in Time

Man, this thread moves fast.
Of course, that'd waste a good portion of the 240MB just for cosmetics, so I haven't even though I really want to - apart from for the games I'm modding anyway like earthbound and super ghouls and ghosts.

I'm 75% sure that you lose the space for the original games even if you do nothing but tick the "include 21 original games" checkbox, as (I believe) it has to copy all of them to the writable partition anyway. Can anyone confirm?

It doesn't even start. It stays on a black screen and then the c8 error shows up. Only disney game I have that doesn't work. Mickey Mania, lion king, aladdin, etc work perfectly.

Weird. Try a different dump, there might be a ROM that the SNES Mini just doesn't like.

There's a volume bit in the command in hakchi, it's always set to 100, but some games need to be lower.

Some? I have to set my TV's volume to half almost every time I start a game. I think I should use the global setting.

Perhaps I could frame it as a Hiro Isono appreciation thread, since I feel like his work doesn't quite get the attention it deserves. Or I could make some standard "what's your favourite artwork from classic games" thread, that'd be fun too.

That sounds like an absolutely fantastic idea, and might give the thread more legs so that more people can see your restoration!

Everything works apart from:

- Super Aleste
- Super Star Wars
- Turtles in Time :(
- UN Squadron

I get black screen and C8 error for the above. But I've seen people playing them! They're all NTSC roms. I'll try downloading different ones.

I have literally all four of these working, so definitely try some different roms.

So I finished a collection of icon-based cover art for various games, all in more of a "Switch menu" full size style utilizing original artwork, varying box art, and more. Examples:

That's pretty cool and I might go for something similar myself. I would however do two things:
1) Remove the black border, it's unnecessary when the selection box itself already has a border.
2) Not sure if this is possible, but if transparency is respected in game covers (it definitely is in the thumbnails), round out the corners to make it match the selection box.

With these two changes they should look pretty amazing. I might give it a try myself.

Baha

Thanks for the replies, so far I've gotten every game I've added to load that I've tested anyway with retroarch + snes9x module installed. Need to finish up Trails of Cold Steel so I can focus on playing through my collection.

PMS341

1) Remove the black border, it's unnecessary when the selection box itself already has a border.
2) Not sure if this is possible, but if transparency is respected in game covers (it definitely is in the thumbnails), round out the corners to make it match the selection box.

With these two changes they should look pretty amazing. I might give it a try myself.

The main reason for the border was that the artwork would "sit" directly on the border of the SNESC UI, and backing it down a few pixels still bled the BG through. I'll have to double check on the selection box rounding and see how it looks. Thanks for the tips!

Robin64

Got Goof Troop working. Very easy. :)

Make sure your hakchi is not set to compress the game.
Now browse to the /snes_games/ folder and find the one for Goof Troop.
Open the .sfrom file in a hex editor.
Scroll allllll the way down, and change this 15 to a 14.

nILxmWK.png

Hit save, sync games, enjoy Goof Troop.

Top Bottom