• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey - 10/10 from Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we just talked about how reviews are all opinion but goddamn...SS has incredible level design, even the most die hard haters I don't see giving the game a 3 unless they are like 12 or something
There are people who legitimately could never get the controls to work well. It's a shame, but I can understand if they hated it for that reason. Now, if you try to tell me it didn't have the best 3D dungeons since Majora's Mask, we got beef fam.
Yeah, Twilight Princess's dungeons might've had some spectacle, but they were meh otherwise. Come at me.

Man, how do we keep coming back to Zelda?

tenor.gif

This is literally one of the best GIFs on the internet.

I wonder if reviewers will add/dock points since they shook things up and resigned Mario from the plumbing business.

Just when I thought we were moving on. :(

I think that what has me the most excited about Odyssey isn't what we've been shown, but what we won't see until we play it ourselves. I don't think any of us expected
Eventide Island
when we played Breath of the Wild, but we got it. Actually, I hope we get something similar in Mario - maybe just a huge level that really puts your platforming skills to the test.

That would be tops! I really hope there's something like this in the game. Maybe end game content where you really need to put Mario's extensive move set to use to get through the level?

So games that you give 1-6 are all "absolutely hated" to you? That's a bad scale m'man

No, I'm saying that my personal dislike of it doesn't make it an awful game. My primary issue is the borderline non-functional motion controls. They were so bad I literally couldn't finish the first dungeon. I HAVE, however, watched full playthroughs, and so know that the game has solid dungeon design. Perhaps even a 6 is harsh; were I to review it, I'd say 7-8, based purely on the dungeon designs and whatnot while knocking points off for the abysmal controls.

I've played a handful of games that, while I personally disliked them, have no real major problems deserving of a truly bad (1-3) score. Skyward Sword, Pikmin 3, etc.

To me, anything from a 4-10 is an average to fantastic game, while 1-3 is garbage to bad, respectively. Even then, 1-3 games have to be functionally broken in some way for it to deserve that score for me. And even THAT has a caveat in that games with amusing glitches (Sonic 06, Superman 64) can score above a 3 on my personal scale.

No, I'm saying that just because I disliked it doesn't make it an awful game. My primary issue is the borderline non-functional motion controls. They were so bad I literally couldn't finish the first dungeon. I HAVE, however, watched full playthroughs, and so know that the game has solid dungeon design. Perhaps even a 6 is harsh; were I to review it, I'd say 7-8, based purely on the dungeon designs and whatnot while knocking points off for the abysmal controls
God damn, that sounds like a serious issue. I mean, I know not everyone is fond of motion controls but they worked fine for me, sans the swimming controls. Are you sure your controller wasn't busted or something? I mean, borderline non-functional is not how I would describe the game's controls

I guess the open ended nature makes me nervous. I see a hub full of things to do, and I don’t neccesarily think “BotW style freedom”, the first thing that comes to mind is actually the Lego games.

I expect way better from Nintendo of course, but I just hope the individual challenges are engaging and not just busywork.

I can’t wait to play on the 27th either way!

God damn, that sounds like a serious issue. I mean, I know not everyone is fond of motion controls but they worked fine for me, sans the swimming controls. Are you sure your controller wasn't busted or something? I mean, borderline non-functional is not how I would describe the game's controls

I'm quite certain my controller was fine; I even tried others out! What baffles me was that Wii Sports Resort's Swordplay mode, which had very similar controls, never gave me an ounce of trouble?

I'm quite certain my controller was fine; I even tried others out! What baffles me was that Wii Sports Resort's Swordplay mode, which had very similar controls, never gave me an ounce of trouble?

This makes me wonder if there were any differences between using a Wiimote with MotionPlus built-in versus using the attachment.

Soul Lab

So games that you give 1-6 are all "absolutely hated" to you? That's a bad scale m'man
you can dislike a game and still appreciate what it's doing and having a more neutral look at it. Nothing wrong with that.
Personally I don't like the GTA series but I can see why it's so popular and critically acclaimed.

This makes me wonder if there were any differences between using a Wiimote with MotionPlus built-in versus using the attachment.

See, that thought occurred to me as well; I tried both the Wiimote+ and the Standard Wiimote + MotionPlus dongle. Neither combination ever gave me any real control over Link's sword.

To be precise: I COULD swing the sword. I could throw Bomb Flowers. I could NOT swing the sword in any direction consistently even after calibrating the controllers multiple times. Every attempt would end in Link's feeble attacks getting blocked and countered until he died unceremoniously. Needless to say, I surrendered after much, much effort.

No, I'm saying that my personal dislike of it doesn't make it an awful game. My primary issue is the borderline non-functional motion controls. They were so bad I literally couldn't finish the first dungeon. I HAVE, however, watched full playthroughs, and so know that the game has solid dungeon design. Perhaps even a 6 is harsh; were I to review it, I'd say 7-8, based purely on the dungeon designs and whatnot while knocking points off for the abysmal controls.

I've played a handful of games that, while I personally disliked them, have no real major problems deserving of a truly bad (1-3) score. Skyward Sword, Pikmin 3, etc.

To me, anything from a 4-10 is an average to fantastic game, while 1-3 is garbage to bad, respectively. Even then, 1-3 games have to be functionally broken in some way for it to deserve that score for me. And even THAT has a caveat in that games with amusing glitches (Sonic 06, Superman 64) can score above a 3 on my personal scale.

Good explanation, sorry for coming with knives out.

I really loved Skyward Sword but if my partner hadn't been next to me after the first dungeon to basically tell me to stop trying to be precise with the motion control (i believe the words were "just go apeshit with the wiimote") I would've been much more frustrated going through it.

Based on my knowledge of the tech - no, it shouldn't be that at all. I want to say it's an environmental issue; playing where the Wii Remote could often point at a bright light could affect its performance, as it can mistake it for a sensor bar and mistakingly re-center. But that wouldn't explain why Wii Sports Resort never seemed to get these complaints, unless everyone who has issues found the game's option to turn sensor bar assisted centering off. Which is unlikely.

At least Odyssey's motion controls are optional.

Edit:
To be precise: I COULD swing the sword. I could throw Bomb Flowers. I could NOT swing the sword in any direction consistently even after calibrating the controllers multiple times. Every attempt would end in Link's feeble attacks getting blocked and countered until he died unceremoniously. Needless to say, I surrendered after much, much effort.
Bokoblins could change the direction of the block to counter your swing really, really quickly. Like, read your swing and counter it after you're locked into it quickly. It was a weird design choice that seemed to assume you'd slowly re-angle your sword around the bokoblin until he stopped keeping up before you swung. If it happened with other enemies, though, then something strange was going on.

Hmm...I guess the controls really didn't gel with you. You're certainly not alone on this but I found that if you play carefully and accurately, they usually work. Sorry that the game's controls ruined it for you

Good explanation, sorry for coming with knives out.

I really loved Skyward Sword but if my partner hadn't been next to me after the first dungeon to basically tell me to stop trying to be precise with the motion control (i believe the words were "just go apeshit with the wiimote") I would've been much more frustrated going through it.

Hey, no problems here, friend. I should have been more clear in my original comment!

I'm generally pretty lenient with a game's faults. There has to be something SERIOUSLY wrong with a game for me to call it "bad". Heck, I've gotten legitimate enjoyment from licensed shovelware games. Probably the only game I've played THIS year that I'd call bad, for example, is Nefarious. That is down to three things: extraordinarily awful and inexplicable input lag on one stage, abysmal sound design, and clunky gameplay that fell pitifully short of its potential.

Hmm...I guess the controls really didn't gel with you. You're certainly not alone on this but I found that if you play carefully and accurately, they usually work. Sorry that the game's controls ruined it for you

No need to apologize, friend! Sometimes a game just doesn't click; nobody's really at fault when that happens, it just... happens.

No need to apologize, friend! Sometimes a game just doesn't click; nobody's really at fault when that happens, it just... happens.
Heh, I know that feel. A lot actually, due to the last generation. Kind of made me a bit more cautious going forward with regards to games but also more willing to do more research on them and discover new ones so it all balanced out :p

Heh, I know that feel. A lot actually, due to the last generation. Kind of made me a bit more cautious going forward with regards to games but also more willing to do more research on them and discover new ones so it all balanced out :p

Ah, yes. Unfortunately, the last generation was saddled with a few games that just didn't really work for me. Thankfully, 2017 has proven to be a stellar year for gaming thus far!

Xyber

Looking forward to seeing what reviewer will get the angry GAF mob on him/her because they thought the game was an 8. Because we all already know it's gonna happen.

I wish I was gonna be able to play this game, but I'm not buying a console for 2-3 games no matter how good they are. =/

CrisKre

Yes, all beasts/memories/master sword. The characters do bring up a lot how Ganon is going to free himself and destroy Hyrule soon, yet there's no sense of urgency in the gameplay.
The game, like all Zelda games, is about the rising if a hero. Like the whole point of this game is impending doom and a hero slowly rising to face it. Think about it.

Bokoblins could change the direction of the block to counter your swing really, really quickly. Like, read your swing and counter it after you're locked into it quickly. It was a weird design choice that seemed to assume you'd slowly re-angle your sword around the bokoblin until he stopped keeping up before you swung. If it happened with other enemies, though, then something strange was going on.

Yes, I noticed this mechanic. Kind of odd, but their sudden blocking wasn't even the issue; I couldn't hit around a STATIONARY shield most of the time. I also couldn't deal with the Deku Babas.

The fact that I dislike it makes it an awful game.

No offense, friend, but I don't think that's a good mentality to have. Games that don't necessarily work for you or me aren't necessarily BAD, as I've said...

Yes, I noticed this mechanic. Kind of odd, but their sudden blocking wasn't even the issue; I couldn't hit around a STATIONARY shield most of the time. I also couldn't deal with the Deku Babas.
Yup, something wasn't working as designed. Shame, but definitely not your fault. I wish I could figure out why it ended up that way for some players, just for curiosity's sake.

Again, glad Odyssey has the option to play with buttons if you don't like/can't use the motion controls. Should avoid the issue entirely while keeping the option for those who like them. This also seems to be Nintendo's style now, as ARMS did it as well (though the Switch's handled form factor does force their hand a bit).

Yup, something wasn't working as designed. Shame, but definitely not your fault. I wish I could figure out why it ended up that way for some players, just for curiosity's sake.

Again, glad Odyssey has the option to play with buttons if you don't like/can't use the motion controls. Should avoid the issue entirely while keeping the option for those who like them. This also seems to be Nintendo's style now, as ARMS did it as well (though the Switch's handled form factor does force their hand a bit).

It's truly bizarre...

I had three friends who bought the game the same week I did. Of the four of us, three had both the WiiMote+ and the Standard+Dongle combo. The one who had ONLY the WiiMote+ had very little issue with the controls. One friend never even got their copy to boot up. The other friend and myself wrangled with the controls for ages before giving up.

I never did return the game though; I even gave her another try out of curiosity about a month or two ago.

Still no dice on the controls. That time I even used a totally different WiiMote that I had lying around.

I’m gonna contribute to the off topic Zelda shiz by saying SS is my second favorite Zelda game behind BotW.

It’s a pretty game, has beautiful music, legit best dungeons in the series that aren’t just “go to room, get key/pull lever, repeat” and the way the overworld areas are designed really do accomplish what they said they set out to do by making them more “dungeon-like.” I also think you can see a lot of very rough ideas and themes that eventually came to fruition in BotW. The game also has thas second best story in the series since it pulls of something very difficult in giving the universe a definitive origin story (and does so really well with a fantastic main cast and atmosphere). The motion controls were amazing too.

Personal favorite things: Lanayru Desert, Ancient Cistern, Beetle, Boss Rush.

I think backtracking can be a good thing in games like this, but I agree some of the later missions were lackluster. The Silent Realm stuff was cool tho and legit terrifying. Also I think the open sky area was a touch too empty.

Anyway yeah I’d give the game a 10/10 pretty easily for more or less being the peak of the OoT style of Zelda (among OoT, WW, TP, and SS; haven’t played MM yet). Absolutely agree with whoever reviewed it.

On topic: I’m blackout’d on Odyssey stuff, but the news of Edge’s score is only going to make the wait worse. Really gonna need to find some spoiler free reviews when the embargo lifts, because I really need something to hold me over for the next two weeks.

I’m gonna contribute to the off topic Zelda shiz by saying SS is my second favorite Zelda game behind BotW.

It’s a pretty game, has beautiful music, legit best dungeons in the series that aren’t just “go to room, get key/pull lever, repeat” and the way the overworld areas are designed really do accomplish what they said they set out to do by making them more “dungeon-like.” I also think you can see a lot of very rough ideas and themes that eventually came to fruition in BotW. The game also has thas second best story in the series since it pulls of something very difficult in giving the universe a definitive origin story (and does so really well with a fantastic main cast and atmosphere). The motion controls were amazing too.

Personal favorite things: Lanayru Desert, Ancient Cistern, Beetle, Boss Rush.

I think backtracking can be a good thing in games like this, but I agree some of the later missions were lackluster. The Silent Realm stuff was cool tho and legit terrifying. Also I think the open sky area was a touch too empty.

Anyway yeah I’d give the game a 10/10 pretty easily for more or less being the peak of the OoT style of Zelda (among OoT, WW, TP, and SS; haven’t played MM yet). Absolutely agree with whoever reviewed it.

On topic, I’m blackout’d on Odyssey stuff, but the news of Edge’s score is only going to make the wait worse. Really gonna need to find some spoiler free reviews when the embargo lifts, because I really need something to hold me over for the next two weeks.

Precisely my point. SS does some very nice things with its settings and unique items; I particularly enjoy the contrast between the flamboyant and hammy Ghirahim versus the traditional grit and gristle of Ganondorf. The only non-control-related grievance I even have with the game is Fi. But, I don't really think anybody is a major fan of her, from my understanding. That said, if anyone here IS a fan of Fi, nothing personal!

FinalAres

Every time I see this thread title, my inner child goes eep eep eep eep. So excited.

But that how I felt about BotW when I bought into the extreme levels of hype. And that left me disappointed in a game that without the hype had no reason to leave anyone disappointed. I've learnt nothing.

Ah, yes. Unfortunately, the last generation was saddled with a few games that just didn't really work for me. Thankfully, 2017 has proven to be a stellar year for gaming thus far!
With Nier, BOTW, Splatoon 2, Crash Bandicoot, Horizon, Persona 5, Odyssey, etc? Absolutely. Still haven't gotten around to everything that has released and there's more on the way. It's a good problem to have. So happy with the direction gaming is headed

Precisely my point. SS does some very nice things with its settings and unique items; I particularly enjoy the contrast between the flamboyant and hammy Ghirahim versus the traditional grit and gristle of Ganondorf. The only non-control-related grievance I even have with the game is Fi. But, I don't really think anybody is a major fan of her, from my understanding. That said, if anyone here IS a fan of Fi, nothing personal!

Forgot to mention Fi. I love her as a character and concept, but her in-game nagging (and the “YOU FOUND THING” repeatedly popping up for collectibles) were big complaints of mine too.

8 out of the 20 10/10 games are Nintendo exclusive.

Looking at the games coming out this month I'm going to need to rectify what I am buying now.

Damn what a stacked month...

ElGoldur

Neo Member
To be precise: I COULD swing the sword. I could throw Bomb Flowers. I could NOT swing the sword in any direction consistently even after calibrating the controllers multiple times. Every attempt would end in Link's feeble attacks getting blocked and countered until he died unceremoniously...

That happened to me also. I could't enjoy the game. It was quite frustrating.

Skyward Sword was demanding in the sense that you really had to get accustomed to the controls. I don't agree with anyone saying it was unplayable or anything - in fact, when learnt the controls elevated the combat beyond any Zelda title before or since.

But it is not a 10/10 game. I think I gave the game a 9 or 9+ back in the day, because of the backtracking and some truly offensive missions in the middle of the game (Banjo Kazooie style notes collecting, looking at you).

Anyway, has the EDGE review gone public yet?

Majora

Just got the issue, the cover is of Mario in his wedding outfit, not the one from the Spanish edition posted earlier. Shall we have some bits from the review so we stop talking about whether SS is any good or not? :p

- There are 50-odd capture possibilites. 'It pays close attention to the physics and handling of each of these new forms, making each one enjoyable to command'.

- The transformations 'are not always essential, and in many cases Mario's repertoire is enough to get by, though it's often quicker or easier to make the switch. Sometimes you'll bench Mario for the simple novelty of playing as something else'.

- 'Even leaving Cappy out of the equation, our hero has been furnished with his most expansive moveset to date....it's tempting to say Mario has never felt better in the palms.'

- Portable mode feels a little like a compromise compared to playing with Joy-Cons in separate hands, partly because it can be hard to make out distant targets on the smaller screen. The TV feels like Odyssey's natural home.

- There are a clutch of stage-specific quests that offer more traditional, structured progression but generally you're free to choose what you do next.

- 'Not all activities are created equal but you're never far from a brilliant new idea or a clever twist on an old one'

- Mario's finest ever selection of boss fights.

'The party continues in the postgame too' but no explicit details. There's some kind of spoilery stuff about references to earlier games I won't post here.

- 'There is a lot of BOTW in SMO, from the chance to scout out potential destinations from high above ground, to the way the soundtrack often lets you acclimatise to your surroundings in relative quiet before the stage's theme announces itself. But it's most obvious in the way its environments appeal to your natural curiosity, sights and sounds teasing you away from your present path - and in its sheer volume of diversions.

- 'Link may have more Korok seeds to find than Mario has moons, but not by many.'

- 'Odyssey feels like a true reinvention of the sandbox platformer'

- 'by giving you a broader number of ways to collect moons, it's a game that's more considerate of every type of player'

- 'Peach, for her part, is no damsel in distress and her role expands in the post-game, although not in the way you might expect'.

That covers the main bits really, there's a lot more but it's mainly details about transformations (both character and level). There's also a post-script article comparing the game to Galaxy and Sunshine in how it approaches level design etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom