• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport demo coming Oct. 9

BSpot

Amazon Canada mailed me the game early. I updated it to 1.02 and when I go to play it, it says cannot establish connection to server and that nothing will be saved.

I assume the servers are off until tomorrow ???

Edit - it was updated to 1.01, my mistake. Guess North America still doesn't have 1.02

Assumedly at least Midnight EST.

Dovahking

Agreed. The graphics, sound, car handling / physics, campaign, online, VR, awesome photo mode, slick menus, good music, presentation and polish that GT Sport has, easily worth an 85 or more.

And the fact that GTS has no microtransactions or loot boxes. So yeah I'm expecting a solid 8.5.

I think the best thing about that demo is that it was wholly representative of the final game and, honestly, it sold me on the game more than closed beta ever could.

I went from fence to day 1 based on that demo. It's about to ship. Reviews aren't necessary, I know how the game is.

Tomeru

pics please

Vr4un3Vm.jpg

https://imgur.com/Vr4un3V

aZU66iJm.jpg

https://imgur.com/aZU66iJ

RXYH7Hsm.jpg

https://imgur.com/RXYH7Hs

Sorry, I'm not sure how to operate imgur...

You on 1.02? PD said thrustmaster FFB issues would be addressed at launch.

Yes, 1,02. It felt better in the demo, but that may as well be placebo. I don't know...

Malcolm9

I am going to miss the rags-to-riches taking a cheap car and upgrading it RPG element, but I played some Driveclub last night and wish GTS would have something more like that for its offline content, with collections of offline "tours" that are specially designed races. GTS vaguely stabs at that with its challenges, but they felt more like Hard Mode rather than interesting races.

Also I was driving in Driveclub's dynamic weather last night... that's going to be the benchmark for me. If Polyphony doesn't meet or exceed what Evo did two years ago with weather conditions, it'll be a failure in my eyes. I guess I don't understand why a AAA studio like Polyphony is launching with so little content and features though. Even the Garage feels barely there, which I'd think would be an area where they'd want to show off their car models.

I'm sure they could do even more if GT Sport ran at 30fps instead just like Driveclub, but that's not going to happen.

Surprised so many people are moaning about lack of features when everything that we have seen in the demo is far superior to the last entries and unlike them the consistency across the board is really impressive. How GT Sport has managed to get clean racing online is extremely impressive in itself.

I'm sure they could do even more if GT Sport ran at 30fps instead just like Driveclub, but that's not going to happen.

So what, you don't think Polyphony can do dynamic weather as good as Driveclub because it's 60fps? Because I don't buy 30 vs. 60 as a restriction on that.

How GT Sport has managed to get clean racing online is extremely impressive in itself.

I keep seeing this as if it's an absolute truth, but I didn't experience a single clean race during the demo. I saw moments of that, but invariably one or a few people would ruin it. Granted I was stuck in C the whole time, but that's probably where the majority of players will be.

ghibli99

Problem is some may/will interpret Sport as just a Prologue rebadge, in which case the $60 price could be a factor.

At any rate, I'm back on board and will be looking forward to giving it a go tomorrow.

I keep seeing this as if it's an absolute truth, but I didn't experience a single clean race during the demo. I saw moments of that, but invariably one or a few people would ruin it. Granted I was stuck in C the whole time, but that's probably where the majority of players will be.

For a few races back off trying to go as fast as you can whilst keeping a decent pace and allow the others room. Then you will bump up. Hopefully you have also gone up in DR as well so you wont be against people who are new to the game and you will start getting decent races. I got up to A after initially dropping down to C. If you race poorly you wont get out and if you don't have racing etiquette you will get knocked back down again. Only thing that annoyed me in A was people not holding their line.

So what, you don't think Polyphony can do dynamic weather as good as Driveclub because it's 60fps? Because I don't buy 30 vs. 60 as a restriction on that.

The first 5-10 races were bad but eventually most settled in. I anticipate that pattern will hold in the full release: start off bad, everyone gets wise to it, and off you go.

Some C races were bad, some were not--I'd imagine that a decent portion of the demo C'ers were those just trying to get back to B. Of course, there are always exceptions.

IKizzLE

So a technical limitation is the reason why features seen 2 years ago aren't present. Let's not even talk about other racers on other platforms.

benzy

At a locked 60fps? It isn't going to look as good as Driveclub's. I'm interested in seeing how close they'll actually get since it'll be a preset condition.

The first 5-10 races were bad but eventually most settled in. I anticipate that pattern will hold in the full release: start off bad, everyone gets wise to it, and off you go.

Some C races were bad, some were not--I'd imagine that a decent portion of the demo C'ers were those just trying to get back to B. Of course, there are always exceptions.

Sure, C is going to be filled with both casual players and players who don't have enough time to git gud. And D and E, well god help you if you're down there. But part of the reason I was stuck in C was that I kept getting penalties for other people's errors. I could see a lot of people were not great drivers but were trying to race cleanly, but there were always a couple who were driving like jackasses. But even with flagrant behavior, I didn't see those people getting knocked heavily on penalties, and meanwhile I was often getting penalized for them running me off the road, ramming into me, etc.

So my point was, unless the system is refined, I don't think it's going to present clean (and fair) races for the majority of people. And if it only works if you get to the elite ranking, then it's a failure as a system. One thing that would mitigate this is if the penalty system should be more forgiving if you're in rank C than if you're in rank A. For instance, if you rear-end someone in C, maybe it doesn't actually penalize you unless you do so at high speed, or maybe the first collision is free. Give them a warning instead of a straight penalty. That kind of thing. Let them get used to racing etiquette as they learn the tracks and racing with other people instead of sending them down. That's dispiriting. I know there's a lot of hardcore sim people here, but you have to keep in mind that most people picking up GTS don't race against other people, and if they do it's been more of the bumper cars mentality.

So I think that's probably the biggest flaw of this new online paradigm. It's like Kaz thinks after watching two racing etiquette videos everyone's going to be driving perfectly. You gotta ease people into the competitive, sportsmanship mindset slowly. Give them a few yellow cards before you hit them with the red card.

I caved... I bought the pre-order on PSN. It's downloading now! I was going to wait for reviews but then I was already addicted after the demo. I don't think any review is going to change my mind now.

Edit:
Where is the OT?

Sure, C is going to be filled with both casual players and players who don't have enough time to git gud. And D and E, well god help you if you're down there. But part of the reason I was stuck in C was that I kept getting penalties for other people's errors. I could see a lot of people were not great drivers but were trying to race cleanly, but there were always a couple who were driving like jackasses.

So my point was, unless the system is refined, I don't think it's going to present clean (and fair) races for the majority of people. And if it only works if you get to the elite ranking, then it's a failure as a system. One thing that would mitigate this is if the penalty system should be more forgiving if you're in rank C than if you're in rank A. For instance, if you rear-end someone in C, maybe it doesn't actually penalize you unless you do so at high speed, or maybe the first collision is free. Give them a warning instead of a straight penalty. That kind of thing. Let them get used to racing etiquette as they learn the tracks and racing with other people instead of sending them down. That's dispiriting. I know there's a lot of hardcore sim people here, but you have to keep in mind that most people picking up GTS don't race against other people, and if they do it's been more of the bumper cars mentality.

So I think that's probably the biggest flaw of this new online paradigm. It's like Kaz thinks after watching two racing etiquette videos everyone's going to be driving perfectly. You gotta ease people into the competitive, sportsmanship mindset slowly. Give them a few yellow cards before you hit them with the red card.

How long were you stuck there? I went down to C twice--and immediately went back up in the next race. Were you "racing" in C, or trying to get clean sectors?

Still, a lot of this is conjecture because truth be told, we have no idea what actually constitutes a level reduction/promotion (and we really shouldn't at a certain level, as that would lead to cheating). I'm just of the opinion, based on what I saw, that the more we race in this mode, the less and less we'll be exposed to the "jerks" and whatnot--especially since ranking up in SR allows you to rank up in DR (I think that's what I read, at least). Eventually, if you're good enough, you will be far above the riff raff.

I'm also not sure we have enough seat time to really figure it out at this point, either. But my experience was fairly positive, so that's all I can go by.

Sure, C is going to be filled with both casual players and players who don't have enough time to git gud. And D and E, well god help you if you're down there. But part of the reason I was stuck in C was that I kept getting penalties for other people's errors. I could see a lot of people were not great drivers but were trying to race cleanly, but there were always a couple who were driving like jackasses. But even with flagrant behavior, I didn't see those people getting knocked heavily on penalties, and meanwhile I was often getting penalized for them running me off the road, ramming into me, etc.

Thats never going to change regardless of the system as all new players are going to be poor but compared to other racers you can get out of that in a few races if you want and the racing is fantastic once you leave this. You are also paired with people that have a similar DR as well as SR so you will quickly be matched with people of your skill level and experience with the game and leave those that are new to the game quite quickly.

I can imagine getting stuck with people at level E orr D SR whilst in a higher DR might be impossible to get out of though as they are the real aggressive drivers.

razu

I hope GTS illuminates the real racing “game”, that iRacing did for me. Online racing with safety/sportsmanship rating that facilitates consistent competitive racing is the best thing that has ever happened to the genre. People sink the cash into iRacing for a reason. All things being equal, nothing beats wheel to wheel racing with another human. If GTS can bring that to the console masses, then it is a success regardless of its flaws. Racing needs concequences. I have won every race, golded every event ever in all GT games. Yet, the first proper online race in GTS where people raced clean, and I bested the person I was battling with, eclipsed all of those achievements. iRacing is hard, and I don’t have the time like I used to to perfect my lap times and remain competitive. If I can have an equally fulfilling but more casual experience with GTS, then I expect to be playing this game weekly for a few years.

Super agree. Especially the "bested the person I was battling with" part. Not many games can be satisfying when you finish 12th, but GTS has that magical quality.

Cubed

I think the best thing about that demo is that it was wholly representative of the final game and, honestly, it sold me on the game more than closed beta ever could.

I went from fence to day 1 based on that demo. It's about to ship. Reviews aren't necessary, I know how the game is.

My thoughts exactly. 6 hours!

Can’t even play early since the servers aren’t live yet (and it won’t save without being online) lol

I guess that works for me considering I had some work I needed to finish anyway

Apex

Especially considering the state GT5 was in at release.

Most review sites are a complete joke. How anybody can still have confidence in them is a mystery.
I agree, you just have to see how they drive in the review vids to guess that many are not qualified to rate this kind of games. There is a shortage of professional reviewers who tune in to what an average GT buyer expects. I'm not interested in reading generic reviews except for the descriptions of content and much less take their ratings as a personal guide to purchase.

I wonder what scores they would have given to GT5 and GT6 after all their updates. Not even today does not make sense to use the old reviews to know what to expect from those games, they use an obsolete system that only values the initial state, not the final.

I feel like it was a mistake for PD to start floating out the idea that this is a full fledge GT release. They should have stuck to their guns that this is an online focused GT that is all about fun and competitive online races. The slide back to, “well this could be GT7” will likely muddy the waters for many reviewers. If they expected a eSport focuses game, all be single player stuff would be a great bonus. Instead many might say, “this is not a GT campaign at all” Which it never should have been in the first place.

Crayon

I was able to keep my b. I went to c twice but was back to b in two races each time.

I've been meaning to say... The demo was a little weird because apparently you could not reach an "a" Sr. This means you did have an opportunity to get above the default class that noobs spill into. So that was a bit broken.

In the final, getting up to a will get you in with not just better drivers, but in exclusive company if those who worked up from the default.

Then again, not everyone is "a" material. :p

I was able to keep my b. I went to c twice but was back to b in two races each time.

I've been meaning to say... The demo was a little weird because apparently you could not reach an "a" Sr. This means you did have an opportunity to get above the default class that noobs spill into. So that was a bit broken.

In the final, getting up to a will get you in with not just better drivers, but in exclusive company if those who worked up from the default.

Then again, not everyone is "a" material. :p

Pretty sure I was A. If not then what was I racing, though I did also see B with blue when I thought I was already A and I never got a red after that point. Will have to see what I am on the 18th. I also had my money go down from 500k to 300k as well so might have been something to do with that.

How long were you stuck there? I went down to C twice--and immediately went back up in the next race. Were you "racing" in C, or trying to get clean sectors?

Still, a lot of this is conjecture because truth be told, we have no idea what actually constitutes a level reduction/promotion (and we really shouldn't at a certain level, as that would lead to cheating). I'm just of the opinion, based on what I saw, that the more we race in this mode, the less and less we'll be exposed to the "jerks" and whatnot--especially since ranking up in SR allows you to rank up in DR (I think that's what I read, at least). Eventually, if you're good enough, you will be far above the riff raff.

I'm also not sure we have enough seat time to really figure it out at this point, either. But my experience was fairly positive, so that's all I can go by.

I was stuck in C the whole time. I wasn't intentionally trying to go for clean sectors; I didn't even realize that was part of the rating system until a couple days in.

I think if nothing else, I hope you'd agree that false penalties should be fixed. The game knows your speed, the other person's speed, and the reasonable speed for that area of the track, so if someone rear-ends you at dangerous speed you shouldn't get a penalty for it. I agree that we don't know the details of the system, but there was a lot of suspicious stuff happening in the demo on that front.

Ultimately what I'm saying is, I want the penalty system to work well for everyone, even the 'riff-raff' as you put it. Be lenient on people trying to learn, but be severe on people who just want to play bumper cars.

Top Bottom