• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport - Review Thread

MaDKaT

Yea. I don't think you could pull off the standard "rags to riches" type campaign, owing to the lack of metaphorical rags, but that doesn't really prevent a compelling single player campaign. Consider rally of F1 games... in terms of variety they're inherently hosed, but it doesn't cause them all to lack stuff to keep a single player consistently occupied.

As another example, PGR3 imposed a > 170mph limit on itself for car selections, partially due to the move to the 7th gen causing them to have to start everything from scratch. They just built the campaign around that selection.

True. Im just not creative enough to see what they could do. Maybe something like the Pro Race Driver series. Even then Im not sure that would bring any sort of satisfaction to the disappointed fans.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
damn just checked meta it's at an 7.5 atm that is brutal.
i hope they patch the hell out of that game.
driveclub did it

WoolyNinja

Some of these reviews are a bit confusing about a lack of single player. The only lack of content I can agree with is the cars and tracks, as there's definitely less. But any complaints about single player really show a lack of even playing the Campaign fully.

Did you like license tests from previous games - GT Sport has em
Did you like races against AI from previous games - GT Sport has em in the Mission Challenges and Arcade mode
Do you enjoy learning tracks and improving your time - GT Sport has that in both Time Trials and Circuit Experience

Arcade mode alone allows you to set up basically any race you want. But even ignoring arcade mode and focusing just on the Campaign mode there's easily 20 - 30 hours there to get all golds.

Then add in the fact that Sports mode is the meat of the game and it sure seems like plenty of content to me? Am I missing something?

Having not played a GT since 4, what do you think they could/should add to round out the SP stuff? A championship?

I think there's a lot there, it's just a bit boring for me (right now). I would love a championship, though. Or several.

Re: VR, it's baffling that they don't have TT. Absolutely baffling.

Agreed.
The strange thing is that it should be so easy to add a championship...is not like they have to get a new millestone in programing to add several combinations of circuits and a scoreboard...

Cant say i agree with most reviewers.
This game is giving me so much joy, im really loving it.
Played the demo more then 24 hours and enjoyed that more then my forza 7 ultimate edition...
This game has its flaws but every game has them.
But what it does, it does it so incredibly well.
Im just playing on a pro with a 1080p from 2009, and it looks incredible. Just stunning.
It plays so incredibly well with a controller. Its just addictive and have to force me stop playing some times because of appointments..
The menus, the music, everything is amazing.
Played the game around 20 hours now since Wednesday, and didnt even touched online racing whatsoever.
So im having a blast!!
Cant wait to see where this game goes the coming months/years.
This game is an easy 9/10 for me right now.

MaDKaT

Some of these reviews are a bit confusing about a lack of single player. The only lack of content I can agree with is the cars and tracks, as there's definitely less. But any complaints about single player really show a lack of even playing the Campaign fully.

Did you like license tests from previous games - GT Sport has em
Did you like races against AI from previous games - GT Sport has em in the Mission Challenges and Arcade mode
Do you enjoy learning tracks and improving your time - GT Sport has that in both Time Trials and Circuit Experience

Arcade mode alone allows you to set up basically any race you want. But even ignoring arcade mode and focusing just on the Campaign mode there's easily 20 - 30 hours there to get all golds.

Then add in the fact that Sports mode is the meat of the game and it sure seems like plenty of content to me? Am I missing something?

I think you are missing the forest for the trees. All the ingredients are their but it seems it is still not a very satisfying single player to many.

Synth

True. Im just not creative enough to see what they could do. Maybe something like the Pro Race Driver series. Even then Im not sure that would bring any sort of satisfaction to the disappointed fans.

Well, in the post you quoted previously, I had suggested a mode that emulates the online progression and racing etiquette the game is marketed around. Basically do what Virtua Fighter 4 Evo did, but for a racing game.

Virtua Fighter as a series has always been very light on the sort of content people would typically compare with others in the genre. It has much less characters than most of its peers, has absolutely no story portrayal in-game (no character intros or endings), there's very little in the way of unlocks (other than customisation items)... on paper it should be amongst the worst in the entire genre in terms of serving a solo player (and for the first three entries it pretty much was). However due to the implementation of the Quest mode, VF4Evo is often regarded as a shining example of how to make solo play in a fighter compelling and lasting. Other popular examples are Soul Calibur's Quest mode and Street Fighter Alpha 3's World Tour mode. Each of these work by simply taking content that you would need for versus play anyway, and applying a continuous sense of progression to it. They contrast heavily with the far more expensive direction that NetherRealm goes for, and as we've seen with games like Street Fighter V, Marvel vs Capcom Infinite and Dead or Alive 5... isn't really successfully attainable for most.

I am hoping (against hope, probably) for some vintage racing Porsches.

I hope this is the next class of car to come. The 60's, 70's, and 80's le mans prototypes would all be great and they have nearly all the noteworthy manufacturers (no Lola though) from those time periods. It would be great if they release Sarthe (plus the Bugatt circuit) with a vintage prototypes at the same time especially if it has the 917.

Reading through the thread it seems people care more about how it is categorised rather than if the gameplay is there.

WoolyNinja

I think you are missing the forest for the trees. All the ingredients are their but it seems it is still not a very satisfying single player to many.

I guess I'm just not seeing whats missing? Everything from the old games is doable here with the tiniest amount of effort. I'm seriously confused and trying to figure this out.

MaDKaT

Well, in the post you quoted previously, I had suggested a mode that emulates the online progression and racing etiquette the game is marketed around. Basically do what Virtua Fighter 4 Evo did, but for a racing game.

Virtua Fighter as a series has always been very light on the sort of content people would typically compare with others in the genre. It has much less characters than most of its peers, has absolutely no story portrayal in-game (no character intros or endings), there's very little in the way of unlocks (other than customisation items)... on paper it should be amongst the worst in the entire genre in terms of serving a solo player (and for the first three entries it pretty much was). However due to the implementation of the Quest mode, VF4Evo is often regarded as a shining example of how to make solo play in a fighter compelling and lasting. Other popular examples are Soul Calibur's Quest mode and Street Fighter Alpha 3's World Tour mode. Each of these work by simply taking content that you would need for versus play anyway, and applying a continuous sense of progression to it. They contrast heavily with the far more expensive direction that NetherRealm goes for, and as we've seen with games like Street Fighter V, Marvel vs Capcom Infinite and Dead or Alive 5... isn't really successfully attainable for most.

I read that and working with what is there that could work but Im not sure it would alleviate the old GT itch. However, I would be far more inclined to play that than what it is now.

Synth

I guess I'm just not seeing whats missing? Everything from the old games is doable here with the tiniest amount of effort. I'm seriously confused and trying to figure this out.

To make yet another Street Fighter parallel.. being able to manually set up various scenarios isn't the same as having these scenarios curated for you, and laid out for you to progress through.

I could pick Vs CPU in Street Fighter V and fight 8 individual characters one by one. It's not a replacement for an actual arcade mode that's tailored to present me with these fights.

Heh, did you just tell him that his opinion is wrong and he's not enjoying GTS?

I don't even know how you read it like that tbh.

Temascos

Neo Member
It looks to me like the online improvements and racing rules are great, but the lack of traditional content is hurting the reviews (Not bad, not great either). For GT7 on PS5 (You know it's coming) they'll need to take a look at what has worked with this latest installment and bring a meaty amount of traditional campaign action. The change in direction, while refreshing for the online aspect, has meant they didn't pay as much attention to the stuff the casual audience used to love about the series.

I mean, there aren't championships and cups yet and that's my main gripe so far. However those seem tied to Sport mode in the near future (November) so I'm not really complaining since Sport is the best way to have a Championship imo (and I'm an average player that probably will never win a race), but yeah... they're not on the game right now and it's weird if you ask me.

JJH

Reading all these reviews on Amazon...

giphy.gif

MaDKaT

No. He says he doesnt agree with the reviews and listed them out, which he is entitled. I was merely commenting that even if all the ingredients are there it may not be a worthwhile to some. I guess a way to put it would be like the fad for deconstructed food. All the ingredients may be on the plate but that doesnt make it what you ordered.

WoolyNinja

To make yet another Street Fighter parallel.. being able to manually set up various scenarios isn't the same as having these scenarios curated for you, and laid out for you to progress through.

I could pick Vs CPU in Street Fighter V and fight 8 individual characters one by one. It's not a replacement for an actual arcade mode that's tailored to present me with these fights.

I don't even know how you read it like that tbh.

Yeah, but then people got a Street Fighter V story mode and meh'd at it, and it certainly didn't help sales after it was added.

WoolyNinja

No. He says he doesnt agree with the reviews and listed them out, which he is entitled. I was merely commenting that even if all the ingredients are there it may not be a worthwhile to some. I guess a way to put it would be like the fad for deconstructed food. All the ingredients may be on the plate but that doesnt make it what you ordered.

MaDKaT's response seemed fine to me, I didn't even think twice about it? He was merely explaining why some people may not be happy with the single player offerings currently in GT Sport.

cakely

Sorry, fair enough.

Neo 007

My quick take on GT Sport.

It's like a console version of iRacing thats more accessible to the masses.

Thats the battle PD have here,there trying to almost cater for 2 totally different demographics with the way online is structured and also the Arcade side of it.

Don't get me wrong,I love it.It's what I've been looking for in the GT series for years but the problem PD have is trying to please two different demographics.

farisr

Yeah, the progression (and the parts related to the progression) are gone. It's not just a "well you can race and earn credits in arcade with different setting yourself so what's the difference" situation. They've put in driver leveling and exp, but for stuff like arcade mode unlocks but that does not compare to the carpg aspect of the past, especially thanks to you being gifted cars left and right in this game (some people even received one of the fastest cars in the game on the first day). The rags to riches system is gone, no individual parts upgrades you buy with the money you've earned from races to turn your old and busted car into a beast. No tournaments and cups, no special one-make race events.

GT careers of past are built from elements that consist of more than just races against AI. Some of them are totally non-existant in this game, and some of them are dumbed down to the point that the satisfaction is not there (like upgrading the power ratio of your car).

Synth

Yeah, but then people got a Street Fighter V story mode and meh'd at it, and it certainly didn't help sales after it was added.

Attempting to salvage a game once the ship has already sailed very rarely works. The hype is gone and people are eyeing the new upcoming games. Adding more fleshed out single-player content to GTS sometime next year would likely do very little also. It won't be new, reviews will already have been written, and the game will already be considered an online title.

And in both GTS and SFV's case, even playing single-player still carries the stigma of needing to be online to progress.

StereoVsn

Reading all these reviews on Amazon...

giphy.gif

Oh wow, I didn't think to check Amazon reviews. That's just brutal. Metacritic, Amazon, etc... show that Sony messed up somewhere. One can argue that they stated it was online oriented and all that but it clearly wasn't stated enough and then amount of content was not enough.

Hopefully they are able to patch in/DLC in the needed improvements since the base driving is quite good.

Edit:
it's a massacre. i still think it'll sell better than gt6, but in the log run all of these reviews will surely hurt the franchise by quite a bit.

I really don't think they will. Maybe over a long period but they are not going to sell to their expectations with this sort of review hammering. Did anyone take a look at reviews at European Amazon stores?

Edit 2: UK is about the same as US.

StereoVsn

Yeah, the progression (and the parts related to the progression) are gone. It's not just a "well you can race and earn credits in arcade with different setting yourself so what's the difference" situation. They've put in driver leveling and exp, but for stuff like arcade mode unlocks but that does not compare to the carpg aspect of the past, especially thanks to you being gifted cars left and right in this game (some people even received the fastest car in the game on the first day). The rags to riches system is gone, no individual parts upgrades you buy with the money you've earned from races to turn your old and busted car into a beast. No tournaments and cups, no special one-make race events.

GT careers of past are built from elements that consist of more than just races against AI. Some of them are totally non-existant in this game, and some of them are dumbed down to the point that the satisfaction is not there (like upgrading the power ratio of your car).

This is a good post and overviews exactly what's missing from SP game. That's what got them hammered in reviews.

Edit:
Attempting to salvage a game once the ship has already sailed very rarely works. The hype is gone and people are eyeing the new upcoming games. Adding more fleshed out single-player content to GTS sometime next year would likely do very little also. It won't be new, reviews will already have been written, and the game will already be considered an online title.

And in both GTS and SFV's case, even playing single-player still carries the stigma of needing to be online to progress.

Well, they need to do a repackaged version in a year, IMO, much like what SF V will be doing with the Arcade edition. Otherwise, yes, a bad launch is very rarely rectified by patches as far as sales are concerned. I mean look at Driveclub, it actually became quite good after patches/improvements but it was too far gone.

kmax

I'm fustrated with Polyphony Digital because I know they can recreate the magic that they did with the early GT's. Just the thought of having a vast library of cars in beautiful HD detail is making me thirsty as hell. I want that game.

Hopefully, they'll do it someday. If that day ever comes, man...so good.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Damn, so Forza fucked up with loot boxes, GTS fucked up by dropping SP stuff. Just a few weeks ago before all this it seemed like this fall would be a racing fan's holiday.

Watching the GB quicklook...are the matchmade races really all at set times? Who thought for a moment that would be a good idea?

Audioboxer

Amazon.de is also brutal. 289 reviews, 2 stars. I think it's clear now that this game has to be patched substantially.

Germany

ASmaZGH.png

Italy

wd1yg9r.png

Hopefully, PD realise they can't take 4 years to put out a skeleton release coming off the back of GT6. The studio needs to expand or start outsourcing if it's going to take another 4 years just for something resembling GT7.

For anyone adamant this is how it should be to cater to a minority audience, well, the GT brand didn't get as big as it has just catering to the complete hardcore sim racer. This shows what happens when PD ignore a lot of people who made GT what it is.

Damn, so Forza fucked up with loot boxes, GTS fucked up by dropping SP stuff. Just a few weeks ago before all this it seemed like this fall would be a racing fan's holiday.

Watching the GB quicklook...are the matchmade races really all at set times? Who thought for a moment that would be a good idea?

I think it works fantastic, I love making qualies before a race and racing afterwards.

Oh wow, I didn't think to check Amazon reviews. That's just brutal. Metacritic, Amazon, etc... show that Sony messed up somewhere. One can argue that they stated it was online oriented and all that but it clearly wasn't stated enough and then amount of content was not enough.

Hopefully they are able to patch in/DLC in the needed improvements since the base driving is quite good.

Edit:

I really don't think they will. Maybe over a long period but they are not going to sell to their expectations with this sort of review hammering. Did anyone take a look at reviews at European Amazon stores?

Edit 2: UK is about the same as US.

Despite what some posters will tell you they were anything but clear what this game was. And even when they said what it was Kaz was still spouting 85% of the game is offline, while probably factually true the 85% doesnt represent what the audience was expecting. They should have just promoted it as iracing for consoles and been done with it. But trying to tip toe around what the game was will hurt them in the long run.

Prophane33

2.2 Stars from 264 reviews on Amazon Japan.

sMCcfOB.jpg

Many MANY pissed off fans calling out Kazunori Yamauchi. Claiming that it will go down as one of the biggest くそゲー (shitty games) ever.

Complaints range from a lack of content, to not being like GT1-6, to being pissed off at the "harsh" online penalties. A couple go so far as to lament the "hopeless" state of the the Japanese games industry [hyperbole much?]

Still an easy 8/10 for me, but the messaging of this game in Japan was even worse than in the west. If you haven't checked out the commercials you should, because they do tend to misrepresent the audience for it.

My quick take on GT Sport.

It's like a console version of iRacing thats more accessible to the masses.

Thats the battle PD have here,there trying to almost cater for 2 totally different demographics with the way online is structured and also the Arcade side of it.

Don't get me wrong,I love it.It's what I've been looking for in the GT series for years but the problem PD have is trying to please two different demographics.

They just need to please one. If they try please two it means moving away from the platform they have just built to pick up some quick sales who they have likely burnt their bridges with.

If GT:S is intended to be a longer term game that sustains and grows as all GaaS need to succeed they have to focus on the player that is there for the long road not just the one and done. It was either the player that likes to grind or the player that likes to compete. PD have chosen the competitive angle and like I have said many times this will have been based on data not just from the game but everything else that the GT franchise now is.

farisr

The races are at set times but as of yesterday they're set at 5 minute intervals (instead of 20) so it's really not bad at all anymore. The only real problem left with the daily race system right now is that you're stuck with the same 3 types of races for the whole week.

Hopefully they change that by either increasing the number and variety of races available at once if they want to stick to the weekly schedule, or changing it daily (like it was in the betas)

MaDKaT

They just need to please one. If they try please two it means moving away from the platform they have just built to pick up some quick sales who they have likely burnt their bridges with.

If GT:S is intended to be a longer term game that sustains and grows as all GaaS need to succeed they have to focus on the player that is there for the long road not just the one and done. It was either the player that likes to grind or the player that likes to compete. PD have chosen the competitive angle and like I have said many times this will have been based on data not just from the game but everything else that the GT franchise now is.

Likely with a heavy dose of the franchise is strong with a dedicated base and the fans will (hopefully) move with us. Time will tell if that worked.

75% is not a good score god damnit.

It's the premium racing franchise, a mega budget monster with a 20 year history that's seen off a dozen pretenders... tens of millions have bought into and enjoyed GT.

A brave move ditching everything almost everything that made 1-6 popular but time will tell how smart it was.
For Gran Turismo standards is not good.... at all. A 75 could damage to the brand, is simple as that. BTW, the feedback of the users is a lot worse...

Audioboxer

2.2 Stars from 264 reviews on Amazon Japan.

sMCcfOB.jpg

Many MANY pissed off fans calling out Kazunori Yamauchi. Claiming that it will go down as one of the biggest くそゲー (shitty games) ever.

Complaints range from a lack of content, to not being like GT1-6, to being pissed off at the "harsh" online penalties. A couple go so far as to lament the "hopeless" state of the the Japanese games industry [hyperbole much?]

Still an easy 8/10 for me, but the messaging of this game in Japan was even worse than in the west. If you haven't checked out the commercials you should, because they do tend to misrepresent the audience for it.

Holy shit, Japan is brutal. Loyalty? What's that?

Holy shit

D6l8fu1.gif

Welcome to the divide between hardcore enthusiast sim racer, and the millions of others who buy GT that we forget about. That PD have seemed to forget about more like.

Bargain bin game by Christmas. No Mans Sky 2.0. Instead of shitty jokes, GT Sport codes will be given away for free inside value packs of Christmas Crackers.

Top Bottom