• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most scared you've ever been in your life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScOULaris

Those of us who live in civilized society are lucky enough to go most of our days without ever experiencing mortal fear. We're lucky for that, as there are people all over the world for whom gut-wrenching terror is not an uncommon feeling.

scream_3.jpg

After having played the demo for Amnesia: The Dark Descent and reflecting on the early games in the Silent Hill series, I started thinking about the feeling of being truly afraid. I don't mean "afraid" in a worried or stressed sense, but rather the primal, reactionary fear that can only be summoned by the brief (or prolonged) sensation that you are about to suffer mortal harm. I remember watching the Making of Silent Hill 2 years back, and in that video one designer states that they aimed to make the player experience fear because it's an emotion that most of us don't encounter on a regular basis. Since the sensation is so buried within us, evoking it (as the Silent Hill series was very good at doing) can be a very intense and unfamiliar experience for most of us.

But enough yammering. What was the moment in which you were the most scared in your entire life?

For me, I'll have to go back to when I was about eight years old. As a young child, I used to sleep with my door open and the hallway light on. After I was sound asleep, my mom would usually turn the hallway light off and go to bed, herself. One night, I woke up probably around midnight. The room was pitch-black, but my eyes started adjusting slowly to the point where I could gradually make out more details. As my pupils dilated and made the room more visible to me, I stared at my open door. It was then that I saw the shadow of a hulking male figure staring into the room. My heart sank and I held perfectly still, keeping my gaze on the figure. I kept thinking that it would eventually materialize into something less threatening, like a shadow cast by a bundle of clothes or something, but as I lay motionless the figure remained. It was obviously my scared, childlike mind playing tricks on me, but I could have sworn that I heard him breathing. After a few minutes, I mustered up the courage to run over to the light switch and flip it on. Once I did, the shadow was gone. Obviously there was no one there, but you know how it is when you're a kid. Everything is amplified, and a large intruder standing menacingly in my doorway was an imagined image that terrified me to the core.

Bonus Story:
Here's one from adulthood. One summer during college I was staying at my parents' house alone while they were out of the country. This just happened to be when I was first playing through the Silent Hill series. I had played SH2 and SH1, so now I was making my way through the third game. Being that I'm all about creating the right atmosphere (and slightly insane), I thought it would be a good test of my bravery and play SH3 at midnight with all the lights in the entire house turned off. If you've played SH1-3, you know how terrifying this can be. Anyway, I popped in the game and started playing through a particularly evil and creepy sewer section. Just as I had entered a new room in the game in which horrible sounds emanated from just off-camera, the door to my room BURST open violently. I'm being dead serious when I say that my heart stopped. I nearly shit myself with bowel-churning fear. As it turns out, there was a wire hanger on the top of the door when I originally closed it. As I played the game, the wire hanger was slowly but surely resisting between the door and the frame. Eventually it had built up enough tension to pop the door open with surprising force.

That might sound like a lame story, but really try to imagine it. Silent Hill in the dark with the volume turned up is already messing with your head, you KNOW that you are supposed to be completely alone in the house, and then your door fucking flies open just as your tension reaches its peak at a scary part in the game. Suffice to say, I took a break from playing SH3 at night. :)

Leunam

When I was speeding home from work trying to get to the hospital because my mom attempted suicide by OD.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yikes, I don't mean to be a downer, but this is not video game related. The most scared I have ever been was when the store I worked in was being robbed, and two of my employees were about to get shot. Worse, the cops were en route, so we were all terrified once they showed up that they'd start popping us.

They left before the cops came. Thank fucking god. I can't explain the pit that was in my stomach though. My whole body was numb and cold and shaky. I hated it. I hated it so much.

Chuckie

A couple of years ago I was in a remote area in Bali.
When we were driving the cab back to the hotel we suddenly heard noises, wood against wood... metal against metal.

We were stopped by policemen and when we got out we saw two huge groups from different villages fighting with eachother.... after about 15 minutes the police aimed their assault-rifles and shouted: If you don't disperse at once, we will open fire.

The youth went to their own villages.... but we still had to pass one of the groups... the cabdriver said...we'll drive as slow as possible and with the windows open... so they can see you are not from the other village.

So we had a extremely slow ride of about 20 minutes to the hotel... passing totally psyched up young Balinese guys with fucking swords and spears... looking inside the car.

I was a bit scared (but also a bit excited)

edgefusion

My dad bought a yacht and decided to take us out to sea, us being my two brothers who have naval experience and my mum. Anybody who has been out to sea in a yacht knows what I'm talking about. The boat continually bobs sideways to what feels like a near 90 degree angle before going upright again while the whole time bouncing over waves. Imagine me and my mum below deck clinging onto each other for dear life genuinely believing that this was how it was all going to end. I nearly shat myself I was so terrified.

Getting a gun pulled on me after having some words with a neighbor of mine. Such a feeling of not being able to do anything, so weak and powerless. Luckily situation was diffused and I got the fuck outta there.

jmdajr

Breaking my arm in half was scary.... as was almost choking to death while eating.
Oh yeah.... Bourbon street in New Orleans... Thought I was going to get trampled to death.

bengraven

I had a sleep paralysis experience when I was younger.

I was at my grandparent's house, which is right next to a massive cemetary. Asleep in the back room that faced the gravestones, I started to have a dream that I was having my blood sucked by a vampire. I was panicking in the dream and suddenly the vampire stood up, his mouth covered in my blood and screamed, "NO! Go back to sleep, you're not supposed to be awake!" and I suddenly jumped awake and he was obviously gone.

Now awake, I was completely paralyzed for what felt like forever, trying hard to scream for my grandmother though I kept only making nearly silent "helphelphelp" sounds from my throat.

For a long time in my youth I swore I had actually been bitten by a vampire, since the story was so real. Until I learned about sleep paralysis at about 10 or 11.

NewFresh

When I was 12 a heavy tide carried me away from the beach where my parents were. I started to drown under the waves and constant pull of the current. right before I was about to pass out some stranger spotted me and swam out to save me. Woke up on the shore a few seconds later

ScOULaris

xelios said:
I haven't been scared much in my life, but when I was a young teen my own uncle held a pistol to my head before raping me. I am still undergoing EMDR for the trauma over a decade later.
Um, JESUS CHRIST! Is that story for real?

TxdoHawk

I had two kids in an SUV pull up to me late one evening to supposedly ask for directions. I was walking. So I come over, and they pulled what appeared to be a gun out, pointed it at me, and told me to "get the fuck back!" or something like that. I literally turned on a dime, put my hands up, and walked away in a split-second. Then they pull the trigger a few times...and I hear the familiar clicking of an empty cap gun (they had painted or removed the red part, I guess), plus their laughing as they drove off.

That was the scariest moment of my life...followed by one of the angriest. Man was I ever pissed. I was just lucky they didn't decide to try and rob me.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
xelios said:
I haven't been scared much in my life, but when I was a young teen my own uncle held a pistol to my head before raping me. I am still undergoing EMDR for the trauma over a decade later.

/thread

If you think you have something that can top this. I'll be over in the corner hugging my knees rocking back and forth.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
xelios said:
My mom beat me and sexually assaulted me about 6 years ago and I'm still reeling from it. It's the most terrifying and violating thing ever. That and when I had a gun pointed to my head by a drugged out guy over the summer are the most scared I've ever been.

EmmanuelMunoz said:
When I was 12 a heavy tide carried me away from the beach where my parents were. I started to drown under the waves and constant pull of the current. right before I was about to pass out some stranger spotted me and swam out to save me. Woke up on the shore a few seconds later
This reminds me of something similar I experienced, though to be honest I wasn't scared at all. I was drowning and thought I was going to die and I swear it felt so peaceful. I stopped fighting the current (was rafting and fell off the boat in one of the rapids) and realized I wouldn't make it, so I just relaxed. I don't think I've ever felt such peace. Then the current just... well, it released me, so to speak. spit me back into the world and I could breath again. It felt like being reborn.

I should try that again sometime.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Well, I was once chased by a lunatic with a knive, that was kinda scary. Got a tag out of it though!

I also spent a night in a cabin in the Swiss mountains when a stone avalanche passed by less then a hundred metres from the house. Wouldn't be here if that had gone different.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
RoboPlato said:
My mom beat me and sexually assaulted me about 6 years ago and I'm still reeling from it. It's the most terrifying and violating thing ever. That and when I had a gun pointed to my head by a drugged out guy over the summer are the most scared I've ever been.

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you've recovered from the trauma (if it's really even possible; I'm still not convinced).

JoseJX

I was driving down the highway in the middle of a giant snow storm, when a truck barreled past me. I guess there was enough of an air disturbance that my car went out of control. I thought it all was over, everything slowed down, every sound was magnified as my car went under the back end of the trailer. I'm lucky, just the car was totaled, and I had minor injuries, but it definitely was an incredibly scary experience.

RoboPlato said:

Sucks doesn't quite say it. Sorry man.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Cracked out dude robbing me at gunpoint. Never came close to being that scared before, and think I'll need a family to ever feel fear on that level again.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
xelios said:
I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you've recovered from the trauma (if it's really even possible; I'm still not convinced).
I'm not sure I ever will. It's still really hard for me to trust women and sex is not something I can really feel comfortable with. I still have a lot of growing to do. Thankfully, I've been involved in a lot of activism for survivors and that's really helped me deal with stuff. I wish you the best of luck as well.

Gooster said:
Any time my father came home drunk as a kid well into my teens.
My dad was a violent crack addict. Thankfully I was too young to really remember much of it since he left when I was 4. I hope he's gotten better. I know NA was a lifesaver for my dad.

EDIT: Sorry for all the sad stories I'm telling in this thread. My new meds for depression and anxiety haven't kicked in yet. When stuff is working I'm actually a pretty satisfied person, all things considered.

I was walking in the woods with a friend one night back in college when we heard what sounded like a huge creature stomping around. We froze and turned off our flashlights, and crouched there for what must have been about 10 minutes while this thing walked towards us. I literally thought I was going to have to fight for my life at any moment but finally it wandered off. I thought maybe it was a bear, hard to say though.

Satyamdas

Banned
I've felt that deep primal fear three times.

Once I was walking to some girls house with a friend and as we were nearing an intersection 2 cars pulled up with some random gangsters asking us where we are from and the usual shit. We didn't do the gang shit so we were like "Nowhere, man. We just trying to go holler at some bitches." "Nah, yall niggas from Gresham. Yall niggas bout to get it." Dude in the passenger seat pulls out some serious heat (like a .45, not some street sweeper shit) and points it at us and at the same time someone gets out of the car behind them and stands at his door. We were maybe 6-8 feet from the gun and my stomach dropped. I thought it was a wrap. My boy Slim says "Man we aint from Gresham homie we don't bang", and the instant the dude with the gun turns to say something to the driver, we both fucking smash out straight ahead so they would have to make a u-turn to follow us, and they did. We went straight to my apartment which was closest and hid out like some bandits, and we saw both of those cars circling the block for a good 2 hours or so. Shit was terrifying.

That was back in 93 or 94, and was either right before or after the Northridge quake. We lived in Canoga Park which is 3 miles or so from Northridge, and when that fucking quake jumped off and I was on the 2nd floor and my apartment was shaking like a muthafucka. I thought for sure the goddamn Earth was gonna open up and swallow us all, or at least crumble our building and I was gonna be squashed like a bug. I'll never forget the initial shake threw me off my bed, and was strong enough to knock over my TV and refrigerator.

And one time I had a serious case of sleep paralysis. Woke up, but couldn't move a muscle or open my eyes, and in that instant I felt the purest terror I have ever known. The whole thing didn't last more than 5 seconds, but that was more than enough time for my mind to process a trillion thoughts and send some of the strongest fear signals I've ever felt. Pure fucking terror. Luckily I've not had that happen since.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I was about seven years old or so and was watching John carpenter's The Thing with my parents for the first time. Suddenly my dad jumps out from behind the couch I was on with a bag over his head. Jerk move, but pretty funny in retrospect.

As a teen driver I was stupid and took a 90 degree curve at 60 mph, and hit a patch of gravel. Car spun a quick and crazy 540 and slid down the embankment beside the highway on ramp. Nearly pissed myself and just sat there shaking.

Riding in the back seat, also in high school, while two friends in the front seat were talking and the driver wasn't really watching the road (looking at a billboard or something) while we were doing 75 plus down a highway. Suddenly I see a car dead stopped ahead in the highway, and just screamed because I thought for sure we were plowing into it. Driver looked forward and swerved just in time and I feltthecar go up on two wheels before it banged back down and we got control. Also was left just shaking after that.

Willing to bet that car and driving experiences lead topmost real mortal terrorformost first world people.

TL4E

Every weekend of my childhood, when my dad would drink very heavily and become extremely violent. I only got partial relief when he become such a hardcore alcoholic that he couldn't much function at all, and total relief when he died of liver failure. I know I'll sound like an asshole for saying this, but imo prolonged fear has a certain nastiness to it that acute traumatic events do not. Obviously, however, both have their own flavors of misery.

There was a lot of anticipatory anguish. I hated coming home from school on Friday, and felt much relief at school on Monday. Rare example of a kid hating weekends and looking forward to school on Monday?

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Imbarkus said:
Willing to bet that car and driving experiences lead topmost real mortal terrorformost first world people.

Damn I stand corrected. Sorry to hear so many sad stories...

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
- Back in 2005 when we had to evacuate during Hurricane Rita. At the time they were predicting a direct hit on us and I was certain our house wouldn't make it. My parents had insurance, sure, but having to rebuild everything is still an expensive endeavor that would not have been easy on them at all. A pretty sickening kind of fear, that lump-in-your-gut feeling of unavoidable, impending doom.

- When my mom had to go for additional screenings after a suspicious mammogram finding. She's stubborn and hard-headed by nature but it's always been known that cancer terrifies her, since it runs in the family and her sister had to deal with it. I've heard the horror stories of cancer treatment, not to mention how sickeningly resilient the disease can be. I'm sure she was thinking the same thing.
Turns out it was nothing.

Jesus I am so sorry all of you. These are some terrible stories. I'm not even going to tell mine now. Its a fucking joke compared to most of these.

therapist

I have a few weird ones. These probably won't sound scary , i guess you had to be there.

My old house was just a large area of woods in the back of my house , there was a path in the middle of said woods where me and my freind would go smoke zee ganja quite regularly.

A few strange things happened there ; two notable ones are as follows :

This was about 4 pm , we saw a robin just standing on the path , which is odd because anytime you get near a robin they tend to fly away fast and we were about 4 feet from it just looking at it like wtf ?

So we start smoking and we're a little perplexed at this point , as its standing up, eyes open , and hasn't moved whatsoever - and we did get closer , about 2 feet at this point.

So my freind inches closer to the robin , and hes now literally above it and its still not moving , obviously that's not normal. So he starts getting even closer , and pokes the bird with his finger very lightly...keep in mind it has not moved at all at this point.

So as soon as his finger touches the bird it starts shaking its head violently and then literally just drops dead. We were like WHAT THE FUCK. lol.

Ive got others ill post later , this is just a weird one , im at work here :/

Edit ; 2nd story from same spot.

Now this one is short and wont seem scary im assuming , although i was scared at the time.

So me and the same freind , i assume most of you know what i talk about when i say that weird feeling you get when you feel you're being watched ; hair stands up etc.

So that night it was a strong one , so it was summer and theres bushes on both sides of us and just woods and almost pitch black (it was like 11pm).

So were smoking , chillin out shootin the shit and all of a sudden the bushes behind us to the right start shaking and i mean violently shaking - for about 10 seconds.

We look at each other and i can see hes startled, wide eyes etc , so was i . We just kinda laughed it off and kept talking. Until it happened again on the other side closer to us about 1 min later. It was a little longer that time too. We dont scare too easy so again we laugh it off but were both visibly scared and actually talking about whats happening now.

So again it stops, then again on the other side of us , even closer it happens again , and its REALLY shaking this time , i should note it was not windy whatsoever this night. I mean its violently shaking we can see leaves flying off it its being shook so hard.

Yea we just left after that , we were both pretty frightened as nothing like that has ever happened to us there...its always quiet there and this was like really violent shaking of one bush at a time. Which , obviously if it was wind , is not possible.

I have another i might post later which is the only time i was ever REALLY scared , shitless.

Cheers

Risible

I'm pull out of my driveway and start to head into town with my 10 year old son in the family minivan. We live on a hill, so it's a steep drop-off on the side of the road.

After a few seconds I realize that my wife has set the parking brake, something I never do. I try to disengage it but I can't, so I stop the car and explain to my son the problem and get out to do disengage it by hand.

However, like a complete fucking imbecile I leave the car in drive not realizing it's the parking brake that's holding it in place - while I was talking to my son I got distracted and thought it was in park and that's why it wasn't moving.

The second I disengage the parking brake the car takes off down the road, veering towards the drop-off side of the road. If it makes it to the side of the road it's gone, we're talking certain death as it careens down the hillside until it hits a tree at 80 mile an hour.

Everything goes into slow motion as I sprint after it. I can see my sons face through the window and he's scared as fuck. I used to pay lacrosse, but I'm 46 years old now and a fat fucker. Pure terror and adrenalin are flooding through me. I catch up to it and manage to jump in and jam on the brakes inches from the drop-off. I then had to sit their shaking for 15 minutes debating on whether I was having a heart attack or not and if I should call an ambulance.

The thought of what could have happened due to my stupidity haunts me to this day.

My neighbor happened to be outside when it happened and saw it all and she was like "Holy shit I never could have imagined you could possibly run that fast."

Satyamdas

Banned
FunkyPajamas said:
This reminds me of something similar I experienced, though to be honest I wasn't scared at all. I was drowning and thought I was going to die and I swear it felt so peaceful. I stopped fighting the current (was rafting and fell off the boat in one of the rapids) and realized I wouldn't make it, so I just relaxed. I don't think I've ever felt such peace. Then the current just... well, it released me, so to speak. spit me back into the world and I could breath again. It felt like being reborn.

I should try that again sometime.
That sounds scary/awesome, and it reminded me of something I hadn't thought about in YEARS. I was young, maybe 10 or 11, and my parents and I were visiting a couple who lived down the street. They were sitting around in the backyard chatting and I was alone in the pool. The pool cover was pulled back about halfway, and I was swimming around in the uncovered area.

My brilliant ass decides that it would be a good challenge to swim under the cover to the far end of the pool, and back again. I was a pretty good swimmer, but a terrible judge of distance and a young boy's lung capacity. Took a deep breath, and started toward the end of the pool. Made it to the wall, pushed off to make my way back, and ran out of air about halfway between the end of the pool and the end of the cover. I remember going to the surface and the weight of that cover was no fucking joke. It was like an airtight seal and my weak arms were useless against it. No solid ground below me meant I couldn't even push it up enough for some room for me to scream for help. I struggled against it for a few seconds and panicked, but was somehow able to get enough air and adrenaline pumping to go back down and get out from under it. Came out from under water and see everyone yapping as usual, completely oblivious to my near drowning experience. And since I was explicitly told not to go under the pool cover, I never said shit about it.

Why they didn't pull it back the whole way I'm not sure, but it was a really big pool and I was the only one swimming so I figure it was a combination of laziness and me not needing the whole pool to swim in. The whole ordeal probably lasted a minute and a half, so if I hadn't popped my head out from underwater I'm sure my parents would have noticed pretty quickly, but in that short time I was scared shitless.

Beaulieu

was stuck for two days in a really small village in India with my girl, she got sick and had crazy fever, she was shaking and sleeping for two days straight, there werent any doctors and we were 9 bus hours away from our HUB town where we had contacts. I was reallly scared, couldnt sleep or anything.

Altazor

This isn't as scary as some of the stories already posted, but eh... it was really scary for me. Anyway, I was like 4 or 5 years old and I used to have constant nightmares thanks to an overactive imagination. So, for, example, I once dreamt I was in a Mario game and koopas and goombas were chasing me relentlessly and I couldn't wake up. Well, that doesn't sound very scare now, but for a little kid - it is.

So, I had seen a couple of UFO/abduction related stuff on TV, even before that damned Alien Autopsy video, and my imagination... well, let's just say it did its usual work. I actually don't remember the exact dream, I just remember the pure fear I felt in that moment, waking up drenched in sweat, screaming at the top of my lungs that aliens were just outside the house and they were ready to abduct me if my parents were asleep. So, obviously my parents woke up with my bloodcurling screams and tried to calm me but I was pretty much crying hysterically and hitting her in my primal state of fear and paranoia. My mom finally managed to calm me down, I was left sobbing and saying I was sorry for hitting her (but I was still convinced aliens were outside the house). She stayed with me for a while, I fell asleep and I woke up normally the next day
despite the metal implant in my neck, heh.

so yeah, fuckin' imagination playing tricks on me. I developed insomnia after a while... lasted me a couple of years and then it went away.

R2D4

Banned
Yeesh I guess my story is pretty lame. I was driving home after work about midnight and it was really icy out. I sled past a stop sign and into a ditch. This was before cell phones were common and I didn't have one so I had to walk to the nearest house to call my parents. In the pitch black I hear this snorting and stomping but I couldn't see anything. Then I hear this loud roar and more snorting and then whatever it was started running. I took off like a bat outta hell and started running down this gravel road and didn't stop until I got to a house. I knew it was just probably just a deer but I wasn't going to find out.

I'd say having a gun pulled on me. I always wondered why people can't react in those situations, well I knew right then, because I couldn't even move.

jmdajr said:
Breaking my arm in half was scary.... as was almost choking to death while eating.
Oh yeah.... Bourbon street in New Orleans... Thought I was going to get trampled to death.
Holy shit yeh....I was down there during Essence festival I think it was? We were like the only white people there. And like every 20 minutes or so people would just bust out running in a certain direction like there was a dude with a gun or something? It never made any sense to me. After awhile it seemed like they were just doing it to fuck with people but it seemed to freak a lot of people out enough that they would just start running in whatever direction the crowd was going.

Meadows

Banned
Was at Lisbon Airport on my way back to the UK and we were all quickly evacuated to the other side of the terminal, three bombs went off and we were rushed onto our planes.

Grisby

I've had some stomach and back pains for a few months with increasing and decreasing symptoms. The doctors have narrowed it down to my colon or intestines and I'm going to be getting some respective tests for both.

My primary doctor keeps telling me it can be a number of things, but only one thing is going through my head. Cancer.

To make matters worse I watched my best friend die about a year and a half ago from a rare form of leukemia. He was 25. I'm 26 and I don't want to go out like that.

So with all of these tests I'm pretty god damn scared.

Sotha Sil

RoboPlato said:
I'm not sure I ever will. It's still really hard for me to trust women and sex is not something I can really feel comfortable with. I still have a lot of growing to do. Thankfully, I've been involved in a lot of activism for survivors and that's really helped me deal with stuff. I wish you the best of luck as well.

Good for you, that's awesome. Therapy helps, but action is incredibly important.

xelios and RoboPlato, you are in my thoughts - as corny as it sounds. I really hope you can overcome this pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom