• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D -- The Yellow Debate

beje

Banned
I'm absolutely against reviews and gaming journalism of any kind but... pfffft... come on man, that 10 in graphics is a complete bullshit when it obviously is a half-assed effort. The 3DS is powerful enough to do much better than just N64-Turbo stuff.

Seda

beje said:
I'm absolutely against reviews and gaming journalism of any kind but... pfffft... come on man, that 10 in graphics is a complete bullshit when it obviously is a half-assed effort. The 3DS is powerful enough to do much better than just N64-Turbo stuff.

Perhaps they believed that the game warranted a ten under consideration that this is a n64 port.

heyf00L

OMG Aero said:
Looks good but I don't really understand why they mirrored the Master Quest. It's not like it adds to the difficulty or makes it even more different than the normal game.
Actually it does make it different. See, left and right are not the same.

I like it. It makes sure you know "that ain't Falco".

beje

Banned
Seda said:
Perhaps they believed that the game warranted a ten under consideration that this is a n64 port.

Which is the approach of a fanboy with nostalgia googles IMHO. It screams lazy all over it in the tech area.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
beje said:
It's supposed to look like OoT that the point - just because the 3ds could do more doesn't mean that the game isn't lookin great. It's a portable title after all.

beje

Banned
cw_sasuke said:
It's supposed to look like OoT that the point - just because the 3ds could do more doesn't mean that the game isn't lookin great. It's a portable title after all.

You can retain the original look while making outside areas a little more detailed. Water being a flat surface with a blue tiled texture at 50% alpha should be considered a crime nowadays. And some secondary characters still look almost directly taken from the N64 game.

beje said:

Subjective opinions. Like in this thread, some people think it looks great, and some think it looks bad. Reviews will also reflect that, since each review is a subjective opinion on par with anyone posting on neogaf for example.

cw_sasuke said:
102ju49.jpg
Graphics
+ impressive 3d effect
+ pretty light effects
+ loveable characters (complete with funny facial expressions?)

Sound
+ familiar (grandiose) themes
+ very rich in variety
+ typical Zelda jingles and sound effects

Pros and Cons
+ long playtime
+ many side quests
+ varied dungeons and boss battles
+ perfect use of the touch screen
+ partial motion control (camera)
+ contains the unlockable master quest
+ the prettiest 3DS game to date (lol)

Bottom Line
brilliant remake of one of the most brilliant games of all time(TM)

Do you think that Master Quest can be unlocked by naming yourself ZELDA, similar to Zelda 1? If not, I don't care. I haven't played OoT in a little over a year, so I'm totally itching to play it.

khan said:
Among some new screenshots, MasterQuest trailer is also there.

Direct Link: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/aqej/#/about/urazelda/
I never actually played Master Quest past dungeon 2.

I sincerely can't wait for this. That video actually made MQ look extremely crazy. It'll be like playing OoT fresh again, but on the 3DS.

Neuromancer said:
What does "The Yellow Debate" mean?
Nintendo released a screenshot that looked similar to one of the places Link goes to in the game's title-screen intro, and it had lots of yellow on it, as opposed to what people call the "dark, moody" intro of the N64 game, causing lots of controversy "the game's too bright!" "Why's it all yellow?!" "I'm never buying the game now!". Of course, it turns out that screenshot wasn't from the intro, and it was taken at sunrise when everything was given a yellow cast...

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Dreamwriter said:
Nintendo released a screenshot that looked similar to one of the places Link goes to in the game's title-screen intro, and it had lots of yellow on it, as opposed to what people call the "dark, moody" intro of the N64 game, causing lots of controversy "the game's too bright!" "Why's it all yellow?!" "I'm never buying the game now!". Of course, it turns out that screenshot wasn't from the intro, and it was taken at sunrise when everything was given a yellow cast...
What? No, the entire game definitely has a more yellow tint than the original, and certain areas have been made a lot brighter than they were previously (outside Jabu Jabu for example).

OcarinaComparison-2.png

Sage00 said:
What? No, the entire game definitely has a more yellow tint than the original, and certain areas have been made a lot brighter than they were previously (outside Jabu Jabu for example).
It also has a lot more red tint, and blue tint, and green tint and...

It's just plain more saturated than the original.

Why would you do that? said:
I just thought about something.

I really want to see
Ganon's Castle
falling at the end of the game. For some reason, I think it'll look really cool on the 3DS.

Because it will look cool! Can't wait to see this game in 3D. Rayman looked good in 3D, can't imagine how much better this will look with it.

demolitio

Sage00 said:

OcarinaComparison-2.png
I'm not gonna lie. I actually like the more colorful approach as it makes it feel fresh to me as we see Hyrule in a whole new way while remaining the same on 98% of things. I understand some people thinks it's going to change the mood of the game, but I think I like the new one more in the Jabu Jabu pic.

I'm sure most of the adult locations will still be dreary and Hyrule will still feel creepy as hell, but I look at every other Zelda game and see a lot more color (even Majora's Mask) while still having that certain mood in areas so I'm sure OoT will be fine.

For all I know, they might have wanted OoT to look this colorful in the first place. The change between Majora's Mask and OoT was huge.

Edit: I'm quite medicated and only had 3 hours of sleep so sorry if some parts don't make sense. I'll put this disclaimer up just in case. :D

My problem with the yellow filter is it almost seems like they applied it to everything. Including the water. Blue+yellow=green. Hence the "radioactive water" or "neon green water" comments

KevinCow said:
Come on, that shit's been in Smash Bros. since 2001. I think it officially reached VADER IS LUKE'S FATHER level a long time ago.

I highlighted it and had no idea. I've never played OOT. It doesn't seem like something on Vader or even Aeris level.

Boney

Banned
DoctorWho said:
I highlighted it and had no idea. I've never played OOT. It doesn't seem like something on Vader or even Aeris level.
Back in 98 I even knew it. Heck it doesn't even take a genious to figure it out the first time you see her, it's really such a biggie.

The last shot in the video of the sun setting = :‘-)

God I can't wait for this, I just know it will render the Activity Log on the 3DS useless, as it will for the rest of time read:
Longest Played Title - OOT
Most Played Title - OOT
Highest Average Playtime - OOT
Heh.

Still have Spirit Tracks unplayed. Gonna start it tonight as the warm up to this beauty!

Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
The last shot in the video of the sun setting = :‘-)

God I can't wait for this, I just know it will render the Activity Log on the 3DS useless, as it will for the rest of time read:
Longest Played Title - OOT
Most Played Title - OOT
Highest Average Playtime - OOT
Heh.

Still have Spirit Tracks unplayed. Gonna start it tonight as the warm up to this beauty!
You really should expand your gaming horizon.

MindCollizion said:
You really should expand your gaming horizon.

It's one of my favourite games ever made, remade, in 3D and portable.
I'm going to play the shit out of it, multiple run-throughs for sure.
It has nothing to do with having narrow horizons, I have 60+ DS games and 5 3DS games already patner

watershed

Banned
New preview video that contains lots of gameplay from throughout different points in the game. For everyone complaining about the graphics and "yellow filter" watch this video. The new lighting effects and very sharp textures really make the game look great. Also everything looks very fluid 30fps or whatever. As for the "yellow filter" check out the sections in the village, the sky is the exact same dull grey color as the original. The boss cave has more glow to it but its a green/blue-ish mood, definitely not yellow. Also check out the temple of time, looks great and no "yellow-filter" there. I think the game is gonna be really sharp. The video might have some spoiler elements if you'd rather relive some scenes yourself instead of seeing it now, so beware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvaN4D7AI7I&feature=player_embedded#at=278

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
artwalknoon said:
New preview video that contains lots of gameplay from throughout different points in the game. For everyone complaining about the graphics and "yellow filter" watch this video. The new lighting effects and very sharp textures really make the game look great. Also everything looks very fluid 30fps or whatever. As for the "yellow filter" check out the sections in the village, the sky is the exact same dull grey color as the original. The boss cave has more glow to it but its a green/blue-ish mood, definitely not yellow. Also check out the temple of time, looks great and no "yellow-filter" there. I think the game is gonna be really sharp. The video might have some spoiler elements if you'd rather relive some scenes yourself instead of seeing it now, so beware.

I didn't know that first-person view was controlled my moving the 3DS around. I like that.

I like how Ganon has individual fingers now. I wish they would have given ALL models that kind of treatment. Overall though, the game ain't looking bad at all.

Magicpaint said:
I like how Ganon has individual fingers now. I wish they would have given ALL models that kind of treatment. Overall though, the game ain't looking bad at all.
He had individual fingers in the original version.

Chet Rippo said:
He had individual fingers in the original version.
I don't remember that. But you're likely right actually, because then it'd make sense that he is still the only one with individual fingers, lol.

Altazor

artwalknoon said:

holy crap @ 6:05
The Temple of Time... looks... different! Closer to the Twilight Princess' version, but without the yellow-ish walls.
Great!

BY2K

Membero Americo
Altazor said:
The Temple of Time... looks... different! Closer to the Twilight Princess' version, but without the yellow-ish walls.
Great!

Speaking of which, didn't the jewel on the Master Sword used to be bigger? They got some polishing going on while we are waiting for the damn thing to come out.

EDIT: Actually, the whole sword looks much better than it did in some of the older screens.

Old:
Zelda_Ocarina_of_Time_3D_Link.jpg

New:
8nThV.png

See?

KevinCow

Banned
Altazor said:
Great!

Seems like they may be changing some stuff to make it fit with later games a bit better. Kinda like how they changed the "Wise Men" to "Sages" in the GBA version of LttP to fit better with OoT.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Starwolf_UK said:
My problem with the yellow filter is it almost seems like they applied it to everything. Including the water. Blue+yellow=green. Hence the "radioactive water" or "neon green water" comments
There is no yellow filter. Some lighting conditions (dawn, dusk) have yellowish tints, but it's not a filter.

Magicpaint said:
They didn't add moving parts to the models so they could recycle the old animations.

Articalys

artwalknoon said:

Gepanzerter Spinnenparasit
GOHMA

Don't know why I laughed so hard at that.

But yeah, this looks amazing. Definitely picking it up whenever I get around to buying a 3DS.

The gaming press is in desperate need of 3DS capture devices. No more off-screen stuff.

I sort of wish the video showed the grown-up Link's market. But I also sort of want it to be a surprise.

watershed

Banned
The gaming press is in desperate need of 3DS capture devices. No more off-screen stuff.

Seriously, and Nintendo's failure to provide this irks me. It basically means that only media released by the developers themselves will ever look good. Everything else will be off cam shakey shit. Nintendo should of had this covered, if they cared.

I sort of wish the video showed the grown-up Link's market. But I also sort of want it to be a surprise.

Yea, seriously. I heard mid-April was the original rumored date for the capture devices, but obviously that's not the case. Really not looking forward to having to use cam footage for this game when it comes in.

Top Bottom