• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D -- The Yellow Debate

farnham

Banned
im glad that a lot of people that never experienced oot will have the chance to play it now

but unfortunately i have beaten this game so much that its more like a chore then an enjoyable experience

Muffdraul

farnham said:
im glad that a lot of people that never experienced oot will have the chance to play it now

but unfortunately i have beaten this game so much that its more like a chore then an enjoyable experience

I'm in the same boat, I've played it on N64 and Gamecube so many times. I've tried to replay it on VC, but severe burnout prevents me from even making it past the first three dungeons. Hoping playing it on a little handheld in 3D might make it feel at least a little fresh.

I guess I'm lucky to have only played it once (maybe twice, not sure), and watched a couple of friends play through it. All that was on N64 so it's been ages, no burnout here.

Easily my most anticipated 3DS game besides Super Mario. The improvements sound majestic.

Big One

Banned
Why do people want orchestrated music so much? Would it really be appropriate to stuff like the Forest Temple theme?

Anyway the screens look great

Bizzyb

Banned
The Legend of Zelda 3D is really more a remastering than it is a remake: an update to bring the game’s visuals and interface up to modern standards while retaining its timeless gameplay.

Icalledit.gif

Lake Hylia looks gorgeous with some much improved water effects.

Thank goodness, in my examining of olde gameplay, I was turned off by the water in the original version

While the graphics and user-interface have been vastly improved, what hasn’t changed is everything else.

I was afraid of this. It is going to feel so odd going to play this rpg of sorts without most modern conveniences afforded by games of this age. Kind of wish they did Wind Waker instead...but I may just give OoT a chance since it is on the 3DS and has phenomenal graphics it seems.

The music, too, is identical--an area that we would have loved to have seen given the remastered--dare we say orchestrated--treatment, particularly considering the severe musical constraints the Nintendo 64 imposed on the original.

Yuck!

Madao

even after beating the game 30+ times, i'm very excited for the remaster. it's been so long since i used the original route to beat it (the original has too many sequence breaks)

TEJ

IrrelevantNotch said:
Its soo.... blocky. :/

Have you ever played the original? This game is much less blocky by comparison.

Characters now have innovative features such as individual fingers instead of hands that doubled as blades.

TEJ said:
Have you ever played the original? This game is much less blocky by comparison.

Characters now have innovative features such as individual fingers instead of hands that doubled as blades.
You sure about that?
1302739860Zelda_OcarinaofTime_SS_8_1.jpg

sillik

Banned
The fishing pond looks amazing. The ground is now textured with a very nice, rocky surface and a small waterfall has been added to the back (though there’s still some clipping issues as the camera dives underwater).

1302738983Zelda_OcarinaofTime_SS_14.jpg

really ? kind of puts the rest of that glowing preview in perspective.

A shame about the music; higher quality samples would make a real difference. OoT has such a great soundtrack and deserves better :/

Zee-Row

Banned
The character models look nice but not nice enough , i'm sure the 3DS hardware can do better than that. Link still doesn't have individual fingers.

sillik said:
1302738983Zelda_OcarinaofTime_SS_14.jpg

really ? kind of puts the rest of that glowing preview in perspective.

Honestly, the shots do not do the game justice. It looks significantly better in motion--also, the camera is rarely that close to the ground during actual gameplay. And also keep in mind this is still the 3DS and not a PS3.

MooMoo

So I've never played OoT and my Zelda game experience are limited to Link's Awakening, Minish Cap, Twilight Princess, and the two DS iterations (Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks). I loved the first two, hated the later three. So what exactly sets OoT apart from the rest of the games in the series? Trying to decide if I should get this...

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano

Dat bridge.

It's assuring that Nintendo is working directly on this enhanced thing. Looks good for what it is though.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου

stuminus3

I know I'm looking at one of the best videogames ever made and one of my personal all time favorites, but... I just don't care. What the hell. :-/

antonz

MooMoo said:
So I've never played OoT and my Zelda game experience are limited to Link's Awakening, Minish Cap, Twilight Princess, and the two DS iterations (Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks). I loved the first two, hated the later three. So what exactly sets OoT apart from the rest of the games in the series? Trying to decide if I should get this...
well if you hated Twilight Princess probably not gonna like Ocarina of Time. TP was basically a Next Gen Ocarina of Time Tribute

Big One

Banned
IrrelevantNotch said:
Its soo.... blocky. :/
Might be because Ocarina of Time's artstyle is blocky and made that way to fit the limits of the N64 back in the day. This is Nintendo's attempt at remaking a game by staying completely true to the art style while using the latest hardware in their hands. The game would look the same on the GC/Wii most likely too

antonz said:
well if you hated Twilight Princess probably not gonna like Ocarina of Time. TP was basically a Next Gen Ocarina of Time Tribute

Yea, Ocarina of Time started the trend of connecting individual areas with long swindly paths, as opposed to the 2d games where every rectangular screen had something of importance in it. The story... isn't too great either, but when I was a kid I thought it was amazing.

redbarchetta said:
Honestly, the shots do not do the game justice. It looks significantly better in motion--also, the camera is rarely that close to the ground during actual gameplay. And also keep in mind this is still the 3DS and not a PS3.
Yeah I'm not really playing attention to the shots as I know the game will look much better in motion. We went through the same thing with Prime 3 which had really fugly screengrabs with awful looking textures but of course the game itself looking nothing like the screens suggested. It was the same with a lot of DS games and now 3DS games. I know it will look fine. Hell, I think the GC version of OoT still looks fine.

Neiteio

antonz said:
Eh, that's not necessarily true. OoT has superior pacing to TP, basically cutting out all the filler (wolf section fetch quests, etc). OoT is also the warmer, more charming game, but that may be nostalgia speaking. It certainly should make for an immersive, pick-up-and-play experience that can be an ongoing saga of sorts for you on your 3DS. :)

antonz said:

I disagree with this. I strongly disliked Twilight Princess, but adored Ocarina of Time (though my favorites are still LTTP and Majora's Mask.)

gkryhewy

After my perilous climb, I peered over the mountainside and laid eyes on a sleeping Kakariko Village far, far below. The contrast between the nearby rocky ledge and the distant town was stark and unnerving. I had ventured a long ways up, something that the 3D conveyed in a manner I haven’t felt viscerally since climbing up Bob-omb mountain in Mario 64.

::swoon::

MooMoo said:

What aspect of TP did you not like ?

antonz said:

I hated Twilight Princess (and never bothered to finish it). I adore OoT. The games have very different feels IMO.

Top Bottom