• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Somebody claims he got the strategy guide. Here is how many cars will be in this game, how many cases, how many side missions etc.

+ 55 trophies
+ 95 vehicles incl. 15 hidden
+ 21 cases + 3 DLC cases
+ 40 side missions
+ 50 gold films
+ 30 landmarks

Sethos

Banned
TheFreshPrince said:
Is it possible to 'lose' cases, a la Heavy Rain? Or must you complete everything, just maybe with a low star rating?

I'm thinking you can do badly but just manage to solve the case but if you completely botch it up, you probably have to replay it.

Tricky I Shadow said:
13 hours!?! Yikes!

Anyway, nothing new today on which one is the definitive superior version. I've got the 360 one pre-ordered, but tomorrow I might go and pre-order the PS3 version too.

That way in the next few days when I know which version to pick up I can just cancel the other one. It's just safer since I don’t wanna miss out on the pre-order bonuses.

Thanks for the info.. I think I might do the same thing :)

The Albatross said:
I watched the Black Dahlia last night, just to get some added background on that murder. What a crappy movie.

This needs to be said again. If you're going to watch films of this genre in order to help enhance your immersion of L.A. Noire, stay the FUCK away from De Palma's The Black Dahlia. Fucking UGH.

Aspiring said:
Yeah hopefully. I'm still shocked at the brutality of it.

I don't want to look at the crime scene photos. I'm a fairly blank canvas when it comes to Noir and American history and this period of LA (being an Australian and all) so I'm looking forward to discovering things about this case in the game.

I'd almost consider saying that the real killer was never found a spoiler, but it's not... but almost could be considered one (and might be by some people) considering the game's advertisements talks about how one of the cases is based around this murder.

swoon

ColonialRaptor said:
I don't want to look at the crime scene photos. I'm a fairly blank canvas when it comes to Noir and American history and this period of LA (being an Australian and all) so I'm looking forward to discovering things about this case in the game.

I'd almost consider saying that the real killer was never found a spoiler, but it's not... but almost could be considered one (and might be by some people) considering the game's advertisements talks about how one of the cases is based around this murder.

please don't use this game or any game to learn about american history or noir.

Radogol

ColonialRaptor said:

I've had Rome spoiled for me in my history class :(

Anyway, don't worry about it too much. The fact that he wasn't found in real life doesn't mean he can't be found in the game. PC NINJA EDIT: Or she.

Soda

Ok there are some things I must know:

In the first 15 min video
it looks like when you decide to go someplace and get in you car, you are automatically transported there. Do you have the option to free roam during missions?

I know it is discouraged that you steal cars and kill people, and I think I remember hearing that our protagonist cannot steal cars but can commandeer them for official police business, but are there limitations on this? Lets say I beat the game 20 times and I just want to fuck around all day. What happens if I take a car and just go GTA on the town? Will it be 'game over' if I kill too many civilians?

note: I know I may get some heat for wanting to know about doing GTA type activities in this game, but everyone has a right to enjoy a video game how they please to do so.

Sethos

Banned
Has there been any word on weather effects? I just had this scenario in my mind, imagine one of those insane thunderstorms from RDR slowly rolling in as you are about to investigate an apartment or perhaps a back alley, it just creeps over, slowly starts to rain ...

Oh god, I would be getting a chubby and a half!

Radogol

Soda said:
What happens if I take a car and just go GTA on the town? Will it be 'game over' if I kill too many civilians?

Probably. The thing is, you'll have to try very hard to kill many civilians since they're perfect dodgers. Please see a gameplay video of the first Driver to see what I mean - the peds are so skilled at jumping out of your way that you can NEVER hit them.

Soda

Radogol said:
Probably. The thing is, you'll have to try very hard to kill many civilians since they're perfect dodgers. Please see a gameplay video of the first Driver to see what I mean - the peds are so skilled at jumping out of your way that you can NEVER hit them.

I think I have seen all the LA Noire videos and don't recall seeing such a thing. Can you please link me to the video?

Radogol

Soda said:
I think I have seen all the LA Noire videos and don't recall seeing such a thing. Can you please link me to the video?

Conversely, have you seen a video in which a ped is run over? There's nothing to link to at this moment, I'm afraid.

Tendo

graywolf323 said:
PS3 was the lead platform and it was originally an exclusive (but now Sony gets Agent exclusive instead?) so it's been in development longer on PS3

PS3 it is then. Thanks!

Soda

Radogol said:
Conversely, have you seen a video in which a ped is run over? There's nothing to link to at this moment, I'm afraid.

This is sort of the point I was getting at. They don't want you to go GTA on the town so they aren't going to advertise it.

Aspiring

ColonialRaptor said:

I understand that it could almost be a spoiler but given the fact that it's real and happened like 70 years ago, has movies and books about it, to me means that its not really a spoiler. It would be like playing a ww2 game and complaining that someone spoiled that the Nazis lost. Also I am not sure and it's just a guess, but unless rockstar made it true to life there will be a killer and you probably will solve the case, it's probably just based around this murder, not the murder itself.

Anyway, Your from Australia too? Where did you preorder from? I went EB, there bonuses are the best, but I'm gonna try and pricematch on launch with GAME's $88.

Angry Fork

The Albatross said:
I watched the Black Dahlia last night, just to get some added background on that murder. What a crappy movie.
Yea it was hugely disappointing, which is a shame because the movie looked incredibly beautiful visually. The cinematography or whatever, the clothing/setting etc. all of that was top notch it's just the screenplay itself and some of the acting that was pretty bad.

After LA Confidential everyone was expecting Black Dahlia to be amazing, I hope someone else gives it another shot one day because I really love anything noir and that story deserves the best treatment.

Sn4ke_911

Sethos said:
Has there been any word on weather effects? I just had this scenario in my mind, imagine one of those insane thunderstorms from RDR slowly rolling in as you are about to investigate an apartment or perhaps a back alley, it just creeps over, slowly starts to rain ...

Oh god, I would be getting a chubby and a half!

I'm interested in that aswell. I fuckin love weather effects in games.

RDR had imo one of the best weather effects ever. Riding your horse through the rain. Good times.

Angry Fork

Yea I'd still like to know if there's rain. I'll be really disappointed if there isn't, that kind of stuff should be common in sandbox by now imo but since this was in development for so long i'm not really sure. Driving around 40s LA at night while it's raining ...noir explosion for me.

Sn4ke_911

Einbroch said:
I'd be happy with scripted weather only during certain missions.

Angry Fork said:
Yea I'd still like to know if there's rain. I'll be really disappointed if there isn't, that kind of stuff should be common in sandbox by now imo but since this was in development for so long i'm not really sure. Driving around 40s LA at night while it's raining ...noir explosion for me.

la-noire-06.jpg

Angry Fork

Nice, I should've paid more attention to the screenshots lol. I wouldn't want it to only be scripted though i'd like it on a time basis like GTA or RDR. Hopefully there's codes/cheats to be able to change weather and other stuff as well but I doubt it. Games really skimp out on that stuff now.

RS4-

Ugh, flea market on the other side of the city has Noire up for sale :( My local mom and pop shop is picking theirs up today.

I can't wait anymore.

Einbroch

Banned
My friend sure does get a lot of games early...

He has the cases for games and everything looks legit, but I'm suspecting him of piracy. :( Only gets 360 games early, won't tell me where he got them...

I want to go over today and see what it's like, but I don't want to spoil it for myself.

Einbroch

Banned
Sn4ke_911 said:
Nice. Ok so now we know what happens if you shoot civilian. The screen turns black and you have to restart.
Just one?

That's kinda lame. I'm all for being a good guy but I accidentally kill civilians in Assassin's Creed and GTA all the time. I'll just have to be more careful!

Angry Fork

That kind of sucks but is expected I guess. I wonder how the game treats things that may be illegal but not morally wrong. Like when doing cases do you have to go by the law 100% or are you able to make your own judgment on a particular case without having it be "game over" for that mission? Like maybe your record as an officer will go down but you will have done the morally correct thing. I wonder if the game goes this deep or if it's just "do this or you'll fail" kind of thing.

Einbroch said:
Just one?

That's kinda lame. I'm all for being a good guy but I accidentally kill civilians in Assassin's Creed and GTA all the time. I'll just have to be more careful!
He really went out of his way to shoot the civilian. I don't think it'll happen accidentally.

swoon said:
please don't use this game or any game to learn about american history or noir.

C'mon man... this is a joke right?

Aspiring said:
I understand that it could almost be a spoiler but given the fact that it's real and happened like 70 years ago, has movies and books about it, to me means that its not really a spoiler. It would be like playing a ww2 game and complaining that someone spoiled that the Nazis lost. Also I am not sure and it's just a guess, but unless rockstar made it true to life there will be a killer and you probably will solve the case, it's probably just based around this murder, not the murder itself.

Anyway, Your from Australia too? Where did you preorder from? I went EB, there bonuses are the best, but I'm gonna try and pricematch on launch with GAME's $88.

Yeah, I think you're probably right - it's just the way the murder went down ie; the victim i suppose.

I pre-ordered and have already paid at EB $108 so far. I will get them to price match though when I pick it up - if they don't, I will probably completely cancel my order and go somewhere else. I'm surprised JB don't have a price out yet. I kind of expect the game to get down to $79 or so at launch (at least I'm hoping). Damn it coming out on friday.

Angry Fork said:
That kind of sucks but is expected I guess. I wonder how the game treats things that may be illegal but not morally wrong. Like when doing cases do you have to go by the law 100% or are you able to make your own judgment on a particular case without having it be "game over" for that mission? Like maybe your record as an officer will go down but you will have done the morally correct thing. I wonder if the game goes this deep or if it's just "do this or you'll fail" kind of thing.

You know what? I'm actually kind of glad and was hoping that you can't just go around killing civilians. I think it would take away from my immersion in the game if I could just go around on murder rampages and have no consequences, especially when I'm investigating crime scenes and searching for murder weapons and evidence and such. If I wanted to go on a killing spree in a 1940's sandbox game I'd buy Mafia 2 not LA Noire. This is a detective game and this thrills me.

It always ALWAYS ruined the games for me when it was a sandbox GTA game and you were a cop yet you could go around killing everyone ala GTA. It was exactly the same game, even the missions were the same except you were labelled a cop rather than a crim.

THIS is the way to do it. LOVE IT!

Sn4ke_911

ColonialRaptor said:
You know what? I'm actually kind of glad and was hoping that you can't just go around killing civilians. I think it would take away from my immersion in the game if I could just go around on murder rampages and have no consequences, especially when I'm investigating crime scenes and searching for murder weapons and evidence and such. If I wanted to go on a killing spree in a 1940's sandbox game I'd buy Mafia 2 not LA Noire. This is a detective game and this thrills me.

It always ALWAYS ruined the games for me when it was a sandbox GTA game and you were a cop yet you could go around killing everyone ala GTA. It was exactly the same game, even the missions were the same except you were labelled a cop rather than a crim.

THIS is the way to do it. LOVE IT!

Exactly.

JAVK said:
JB has it for $89.00
http://www.jbhifi.com.au/games/la-noire/

I'm going to wait until comparisons start showing up.

It's funny because I just loaded up the JB website to check and make sure I wasn't saying a comment that wasn't true, forgot to check the list of games on the left hand side... doh.

The only thing that really gets my goat about this game is the exclusive to certain retailer DLC. I want to do all the cases. I want to do many, many cases. I want to solve everything 100%. I guess that means I will be paying money to download the 'complete' DLC packs after launch, it just annoys me that i can't get a complete edition in the beginning. Why not allow for a special edition at the start.

The fun I believe I'm going to have in this reminds me so much of how much I enjoyed playing Police Quest. But I haven't played a game like it since. I can't believe there hasn't been a proper police investigation since then. As I said earlier, if I can murder a suspect because I can't find evidence, or they manage to get off or something... I just want to do that. I HOPE you can. I wonder if you can plant evidence as well!?

Einbroch said:
Just one?

I think if you "accidentally" kill a civilian / innocent / hostage during a hostage situation or something in this game it'll be alright. I assume it's just not allow to walk up to someone on a street corner and pop them in the head.

The hype I have for LA Noire seems to be dulling my hype for Witcher 2. I'm almost completely certain that I will play Witcher 2 all night every night after work this week, then on Thursday / Friday when I pick up LA Noire I will start playing and not stop all weekend.

This week might just be the best week this year (aside from E3 which is the best week every year).

LProtag

The Third Man is really a great film anyway about the state of the world post-WWII, so you should probably watch it regardless.

Jhoan

JAVK said:
The Maltese Falcon; Its one of my favorite detective story. Not sure if its comparable to LA Noire thou.

I have the book which I read for my old Detective Story class; it's awesome and Sam Spade is a bad ass. I wasn't planning on getting this game, but the $15 GC that come with the game at Toys R' Us is very tempting.I might bite on the deal as I'm intrigued to see how the facial expressions look in motion.

As for other books people might wanna check out, I would recommend Farewell My Lovely which is also by Raymond Chandler (I never finished it; it dragged on too much), and even though it's past it's time period, any of the Walter Mosely Easy Rawlins stories. The OT's pretty well done by the way so props to the OP.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
My plan is to play the game until I hit the desks where the DLC cases are gonna be, then wait until PSN is back up.

I hope that takes a long time to do...the case part, not the PSN part.

InsertNameHere said:
The Third Man is really a great film anyway about the state of the world post-WWII, so you should probably watch it regardless.

Aye, and like the best anti-Western-Democracy/Diplomacy quote in the history of mankind. Great movie.

Top Bottom