• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Amir0x said:
As a classic noir fan, I gotta man. GOTTA. Deep shadows casting lines on victims faces. Smokes casting a room into foggy nights. Contrast elevating mood and tension.

I am a fan of noir films too man, but it is going to be very, very hard to get me into B&W for the first playthrough.

You know what? I'll just play the shit out of this game with each palette.

I fucking buckled and pre-ordered. After watching that first 15, I can't resist. Just that fucking music. Reminds me of old time radio <3<3

My wife will be gone so I think I'm going to fucking smoke in my apartment for once! That, and some liquor or something, old jazz music playing. Man, it's going to be a grand time.

noir1.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
Juan29.zapata said:
I am a fan of noir films too man, but it is going to be very, very hard to get me into B&W for the first playthrough.

You know what? I'll just play the shit out of this game with each palette.

Yup. And I'm glad they didn't force it on people... wouldn't want the game bombing because the general public is afraid of the correct application of style. But damn I am glad we have the option :D

Aeana

Amir0x said:
Yup. And I'm glad they didn't force it on people... wouldn't want the game bombing because the general public is afraid of the correct application of style. But damn I am glad we have the option :D
I have to admit it's kind of funny to see you, of all people, excited about a feature that makes a game look older.

Not that I disapprove.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Amir0x said:
As a classic noir fan, I gotta man. GOTTA. Deep shadows casting lines on victims faces. Smokes casting a room into foggy nights. Contrast elevating mood and tension.

does it actually change anything (lighting for example) or just desaturate the screen?

just having it as an option is cool but a real black and white noir style would would be amazing.

CrazyDude

Amir0x said:
More options is always better.

i watched the maltese falcon tonight and i've been reading the Big Sleep, i also made a playlist of music from the 30's 40's and early 50's so i think i should be ready for this by next friday. it's gonna be totally rad

Amir0x

Banned
Aeana said:
I have to admit it's kind of funny to see you, of all people, excited about a feature that makes a game look older.

Not that I disapprove.

Black and White is not about making something look 'older', even though it originates from an older time. In its proper stylistic context, Black & White is as modern a style as any (look at Sin City, The Man Who Wasn't There or Ed Wood for example). So it's not quite the same as some of the other 'older' things that simply have no place in today's age, as far as I'm concerned ;)

UFRA

So excited for this game.

I LOVE the time period it takes place in.

Reminds me of movies like The Untouchables - I just love the clothing styles - the suit/vest/hat combo looks awesome.

Anyone that is interested in a great soundtrack that has that Noir sound, check out Ascenseur Pour L'Echafaud (Lift To The Scaffold) by Miles Davis.

Playing in black and white is a cool option.....but I’ll be playing in colour for sure.

And I really wish the damn comparisons would hurry up and surface already! -_-

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
UFRA said:
So excited for this game.

I LOVE the time period it takes place in.

Reminds me of movies like The Untouchables - I just love the clothing styles - the suit/vest/hat combo looks awesome.
All I need to hear is the same sax music and I'm gone.

Tamanon

Banned
So ready for this game, just looks amazing and that 15 minutes to start just makes it look even better. So much personality.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I just remembered, this is the first game I buy "blindly" since GTAIV :D Gonna be awesome, seen pretty much 0 gameplay footage.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Yoshichan said:
I just remembered, this is the first game I buy "blindly" since GTAIV :D Gonna be awesome, seen pretty much 0 gameplay footage.

It's the same with me, although those Orientation videos should kinda count as gameplay.

But yeah, I never saw GTA4's gameplay until I got to play it myself.

Chesskid1 said:
here's 4 pics of the map

http://i51.tinypic.com/53k6m1.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/2akpj4.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/dwt5zn.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/v45ag8.jpg

the guy said he's zoomed all the way out and theres a few more sections he didn't take pictures of just cause. map is huge he says.

i'm gettin this info from la-noire.net forums, some guy has a copy there and has been answering questions

he posted pics of black/white mode and they were really shitty, i could post em up though.

Wow.... Dammit I keep flip flopping between this and Witcher, but I think I want this more than Witcher... Dannnnnnnmngngn

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
rhino4evr said:
Wait 24 hours to play it? I mean really guys? Is release date delivery THAT important?

Got release date delivery now, but it was saying it would arrive on May 19th with 1 day shipping. More than a 24 hour wait. :/

sneaky77 said:
Those guys never know anything. I wouldn't really trust anything coming out of their mouths..

It was from my friend who ive been friends with for 6 years or so. He would have no reason to bullshit me. They already have them, plus extras that dont have the DLC.

EDIT: just seen my gamestop is doing a midnight launch, I have to get up for work at 5 in the morning but ill probaly still end up going :)

Aspiring

Yeah what was said above. The covers are from the US version but reviews are written here. So probably some articles are from the american one but not all.

piratepwnsninja said:
You did the OT and are flip flopping on which you want? :p

Yer... I'm having trouble deciding on which one I want more.

I think it's Witcher 2 and then I think it's LA Noire. I'm pretty sure Witcher 2 is edging out LA Noire simply because I know that I'll be playing Witcher 2 before LA Noire because Noire isn't coming out here until next Friday, that's still a fair while away.

That said I'm almost totally up for more game play footage of the game, I want to see more so badly, but I am afraid of being spoiled, but I would do anything to see how it progresses more. I love the investigation side of things, I'm going to search every nook and cranny of every crime scene. Oh man.

Is LA Confidential worth watching? I'm sure I've seen it multiple times, but probably not for at least 10 years... something to do to pass the time while waiting I guess haha.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
ColonialRaptor said:
Is LA Confidential worth watching? I'm sure I've seen it multiple times, but probably not for at least 10 years... something to do to pass the time while waiting I guess haha.

Yeah it definitely worth another watch, Guy Pearce is not in enough movies. Its exciting, well written and acted and isnt a complete snooze like Chinatown with Jack Nicholson, I'll never understand the unprecedented acclaim that movie gets, or complete mediocrity like The Black Dahlia with Josh Hartnett.

ColonialRaptor said:

Great movie. Watch it.

ColonialRaptor said:
Wow.... Dammit I keep flip flopping between this and Witcher, but I think I want this more than Witcher... Dannnnnnnmngngn

C5PIw.png

Yeah, it's great. One of my favourites.

I have been in the car for 13 hours on a drive.. is there any new info that has come out today to make me keep my 360 pre order and not move to PS3?

Thanks guys!

M.W.

Proposed Law said:
just had LA Confidential arrive today from Netflix. Never seen it before, I'm getting excited for LA Noire.

Amazing film. It's only going to make your excitement spew through the roof.

Top Bottom