• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

storl026

Buckethead said:
That old logo is crappy.

I don't like it too much either. I think it's going for a 40's-50's car logo look.

245242829_ddd8ac25df.jpg

yjpqD.png

It fits the setting, but I still don't like it. Meh.

Luigi87

storl026 said:
I don't like it too much either. I think it's going for a 40's-50's car logo look.

245242829_ddd8ac25df.jpg

yjpqD.png

It fits the setting, but I still don't like it. Meh.

That may be why they changed it -- people would perhaps associate the game more with cars than detective work.

JetBlackPanda said:
I have been in the car for 13 hours on a drive.. is there any new info that has come out today to make me keep my 360 pre order and not move to PS3?

Thanks guys!

13 hours!?! Yikes!

Anyway, nothing new today on which one is the definitive superior version. I've got the 360 one pre-ordered, but tomorrow I might go and pre-order the PS3 version too.

That way in the next few days when I know which version to pick up I can just cancel the other one. It's just safer since I don’t wanna miss out on the pre-order bonuses.

Aspiring

Im hoping someone breaks street date in Australia. I need this game. I ended up downloading the first 15 minutes and all it did was make the wait harder. There was no spoilers or anything, just enough to see the game is going to be amazing. Also i have just found out fro EB, that is australia pre order numbers were too low to justify a midnight launch. So that sucks on two levels!

Aspiring said:
Im hoping someone breaks street date in Australia. I need this game. I ended up downloading the first 15 minutes and all it did was make the wait harder. There was no spoilers or anything, just enough to see the game is going to be amazing. Also i have just found out fro EB, that is australia pre order numbers were too low to justify a midnight launch. So that sucks on two levels!

Yep. This is exactly how I feel.

It's not likely that someone will break though - and if they do, it's not likely that the break will be sustained, because Take Two are brutal to retailers that break.

Sethos said:
I love it, maybe we'll get our graphical comparison soon then - Just waiting to cancel either one of my orders before they are shipped.

I was thinking the same thing. Pretty crappy of them offering pre-order bonuses to ensure good early sales, but still not have released any details of graphical differences despite it being out in a handful of days.

Luigi87 said:
That may be why they changed it -- people would perhaps associate the game more with cars than detective work.
Readability is the most important thing in marketing.

That and gritty neon letters fits thematically better than polished malt-shop chrome.

state_vector_collapse said:
I was thinking the same thing. Pretty crappy of them offering pre-order bonuses to ensure good early sales, but still not have released any details of graphical differences despite it being out in a handful of days.

There are vitually no developers in the world that would reveal graphical deficencies in their titles running on a certain platform, it's bad for business. Especially Rockstar, who always seem to just say - it's running great on both (even when there are big gaps in quality). Bayonetta was even the same, where the developer just mentioned the PS3 version was coming along nicely!

But wait a few days after release and you can bet we'll have our DF comparison.

Sethos

Banned
Appollowexx said:
There are vitually no developers in the world that would reveal graphical deficencies in their titles running on a certain platform, it's bad for business. Especially Rockstar, who always seem to just say - it's running great on both (even when there are big gaps in quality). Bayonetta was even the same, where the developer just mentioned the PS3 version was coming along nicely!

But wait a few days after release and you can bet we'll have our DF comparison.

After? Pfsct, need to know before orders are shipped out :p

Sethos said:
After? Pfsct, need to know before orders are shipped out :p

Well I'm playing on PS3 which ever turns out to be superior (PCS3 gamer), however I'm pretty sure there won't be any glaring differences, and almost certain they'll be on par with minor but non issue differences in specific areas dependant of the strengths of each box.

Doubt we'll get any kind of detailed comparison reports before friday at the earliest to be honest though.

Sethos

Banned
Appollowexx said:
Well I'm playing on PS3 which ever turns out to be superior (PCS3 gamer), however I'm pretty sure there won't be any glaring differences, and almost certain they'll be on par with minor but non issue differences in specific areas dependant of the strengths of each box.

Doubt we'll get any kind of detailed comparison reports before friday at the earliest to be honest though.

Doesn't need to be detailed really. Just need some fan-made comparisons in terms of resolution, AA and how smooth it feels. Since this is one of the games I've been looking forward to for a long time, I want the 'superior' version and I want the versions that stays closest to the 30 FPS avg. mark - With some Multiplatform titles, there's always one of the versions that is a horrible mess when it comes to framerates. Usually always happens before release, some guy in gamer land does a quick comparison.

I'm mostly a PC gamer and I spend thousands of dollars on my PC every year to have it running games smoothly, can't do that with my consoles, so I just want the best version. Normally I'd go for the 360 version as that's my console of choice but with this being Single-player only, PS3 version being one disc and lead, it has a lot going for it.

If I know the PS3 version is the best before games are shipped out, I can even cancel my 360 order and order one of those Cross Battle Adapters instead, so I can use my yummy 360 controller on the PS3 <3

Fjordson

I really hope we see some gameplay streams today. I remember some good RDR streams showing up the Saturday before (I know, I'm insane for not caring about spoilers).

Also, any truth to that "leaked review" out of Game Informer AU? Score was apparently a 9.5/10.

This is out next week? I guess my intention to ignore all pre-release hype has worked.

I don't see it mentioned in the OP, does anyone know when the review embargo ends?

Has anyone posted this in this thread yet? I know it was in a thread or so back involving this game, but it's a pretty nice preview for those interested in a historians view of the game. :)

Biggzy

Hopefully the cases in this game are challenging and interesting as i love to give my brain a bit of work out from time to time.

Just watched LA Confidential and it just blew my hype level for this game through the damn roof!

It wouldn't be a stretch to say that this game seems like LA Confidential 'The Game'. Everything is so similar, from the way it seems like the crime scenes are investigated, to the way in which witnesses are questioned after a case, to the point of tracking down the perp and then questioning and charging them.

I REALLY REALLY HOPE that they give us different choices as to the way to solve a case.

Such as - if we can't gather enough evidence to convict someone and they get out of custody you can just go and pop a cap in them because you know that they're guilty.

If it has the possibility of delivering swift justice like that... well, I will cry tears of joy.

Gorgon

This game would be a good template for a Blade Runner game. Just add the Voit-Kampf test to the interrogation gameplay, make the city futuristic and let us drive a flying car instead. Perfect Blade Runner game.

Sorry, but I just couldn't hold myself from speculating.

rhino4evr

Gorgon said:
This game would be a good template for a Blade Runner game. Just add the Voit-Kampf test to the interrogation gameplay, make the city futuristic and let us drive a flying car instead. Perfect Blade Runner game.

I like this idea.

Ratrat said:
Has Rockstar outright said they were taking inspiration from LA Confidential?
Just a reminder this is a Team Bondi joint, though I don't know if Rockstar had any part in the development. Did they ever say?

Gorgon said:

I also like this idea. Use the Good Samaritan Unreal Engine 3 style graphics.

I can't believe that $50 in 1947 would be worth the equivalent of $500 today!

Wow!

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Just a reminder this is a Team Bondi joint, though I don't know if Rockstar had any part in the development. Did they ever say?

Yes, it was mainly developed by Team Bondi, but it was co-developed by Rockstar. I think since RDR was finished a lot more of Rockstars resources was put into LA Noire as well.

But, it's primarily team bondi. Could be 70/30 or 80/20 we will never really know.

Gacha-pin

Ratrat said:
Has Rockstar outright said they were taking inspiration from LA Confidential?
Houli1975 asks... What novelists inspired L.A. Noire? The trailer feels very James Ellroy. Any other crime novelists? Dennis Lehane? Raymond Chandler? Dashiell Hammett?

Brendan McNamara: I have two favorite living American writers: James Elroy for his unbelievable plotting and for reinventing modern dialogue and James Lee Burke for his incredible prose. As a teenager growing up I read a lot of Chandler, Hammett and Joseph Cain. L.A. Noire attempts to pay homage to all of these great influences and bring a contemporary lens to this incredibly rich era.

Benedict said:
You all know about the review at guardian.Co.uk?

It's been embargoed and taken down, but can be reached via google.

Is that the one that says it has a load if flaws, terrible streaming of the world etc? Don't know if I should trust it or not..

Biggzy

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:

Difficult to say but judging by the scope of the game i think it's highly likely R* have had a hand in this game development as well as putting a significant amount of funding for the game as well.

sflufan

Banned
Best Buy is offering a DLC code for the "Nicholson Electroplating Arson Case" to the first 16 customers at its midnight openings.

Good God, how many freakin' cases were held back for future DLC purchases now?

MMaRsu

Banned
woodsey1982 said:
Is that the one that says it has a load if flaws, terrible streaming of the world etc? Don't know if I should trust it or not..

It is the 5/5 review. And why wouldn't you trust a review if it says it has terrible streaming? Could be true.

Kolgar

The Albatross said:
I watched the Black Dahlia last night, just to get some added background on that murder. What a crappy movie.

Totally. You'd be better served Googling up some info on the case. Fascinatingly disturbing, particularly the crime photos.

I've the PS3 version ordered and I too eagerly await comparisons!

Edit: Just Googled the crime scene photos. Strike what I said. It's not fascinatingly disturbing, it's tragically sad and perverse.

styl3s

ColonialRaptor said:
Just watched LA Confidential and it just blew my hype level for this game through the damn roof!

It wouldn't be a stretch to say that this game seems like LA Confidential 'The Game'. Everything is so similar, from the way it seems like the crime scenes are investigated, to the way in which witnesses are questioned after a case, to the point of tracking down the perp and then questioning and charging them.

I REALLY REALLY HOPE that they give us different choices as to the way to solve a case.

Such as - if we can't gather enough evidence to convict someone and they get out of custody you can just go and pop a cap in them because you know that they're guilty.

If it has the possibility of delivering swift justice like that... well, I will cry tears of joy.
Nothing about this game says LA confidential to me other then the fact that its the same setting, this isnt vice city that clearly rips off movies in every way possible, sure.. there are things that are similar but i would say this is real noire films "the game", LA Conf wasnt the first movie to introduce witnesses, crime scenes and tracking down/questioning, that movie actually didn't have a whole lot of that.

Tendo

Any word on performance differences from 360/PS3 yet? I don't care about 3 discs, just the prettiest/smoothest running version.

swoon

styl3s said:
Nothing about this game says LA confidential to me other then the fact that its the same setting, this isnt vice city that clearly rips off movies in every way possible, sure.. there are things that are similar but i would say this is real noire films "the game", LA Conf wasnt the first movie to introduce witnesses, crime scenes and tracking down/questioning, that movie actually didn't have a whole lot of that.

noir movies don't have a lot or any detective work, in general. and the certainly don't have large gunfights.

true confessions and l.a. conf do seem closer to this game than most noir or neo-noir movies. though the hallmarks of neo noir seem to be missing from this game. it's weird middle ground between neo-noir and a crime movie/thriller.

Mesijs

ColonialRaptor said:
Yes, it was mainly developed by Team Bondi, but it was co-developed by Rockstar. I think since RDR was finished a lot more of Rockstars resources was put into LA Noire as well.

But, it's primarily team bondi. Could be 70/30 or 80/20 we will never really know.

This is basically what happened: Team Bondi had the idea and started developing the game. They presented it to R*. R* thought it had great potential. Subsequently, R* made a team of 'star' developers comprised of people of different R* teams and put them together. This team co-developed the game together with Team Bondi. The team was small but made a real contribution.

At least, this is wat R* told me in a presentation some time (2 months?) ago.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
So has anyone heard of places in the NY/NJ area that might be getting copies in today?
The usual spot that sells early said it'd probably be Monday, but I got a few Brooklyn spots that will hopefully receive theirs today. I'll know in a few more hours and let you know. -crosses fingers

Aspiring

Kolgar said:
Totally. You'd be better served Googling up some info on the case. Fascinatingly disturbing, particularly the crime photos.

I've the PS3 version ordered and I too eagerly await comparisons!

Edit: Just Googled the crime scene photos. Strike what I said. It's not fascinatingly disturbing, it's tragically sad and perverse.

having never seen or read about the murder I took your advice and did so. And I just wanna say fuck you : D I read the article and it is disgusting at how a person could do the things they did to this poor girl. And if the article wasn't enough I saw photos and I only saw one and that was of her face and that was it. I was done. It was horrifying and I had chills. What a sick fuck and I hope whoever did it died a gruesome death though nothing could match this. Poor girl.

Is this case in the game?

graywolf323

Tendo said:
Any word on performance differences from 360/PS3 yet? I don't care about 3 discs, just the prettiest/smoothest running version.

PS3 was the lead platform and it was originally an exclusive (but now Sony gets Agent exclusive instead?) so it's been in development longer on PS3

Aspiring

Radogol said:
Yes. Kind of. Not quite. But sort of.

man after reading about it it will give me chills. I wonder how it will be handled given no killer was ever found.

EDIT: you stealth edited lol. Well I guess there may be a similar case than based around what happened.

Top Bottom