• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita Found On Sony's E3 Site, Now Removed

onQ123

Agent X said:
Peggle was never released as a Mini. There is a PS3 version, and there is also a separate PSP version. I don't believe the PSP version has all of the features of the PS3 version, such as online multiplayer and online scoreboards.

The Vita should be able to use the PSP version.

I think NGP/PSP2/Vita should get it's on version of the game or the PS3 PSN version.

shouamabane said:
The only problem to me is that there are two different ways to pronounce that. Veeta and Vighta.

yeah, like when Windows Vista was announced and i cringed every time i heard a friend say VEESTA.

Vita (veeta) sounds fine by me, but i am concerned about the branding and marketing/packaging materials etc. if it's the same old stuff they've used for PS3 and PSP then it's not going to really benefit from the new name. it needs to be super fresh, eye catching, and give consumers the impression that it's a new start.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I spy with my little eye...

http://us.playstation.com/e3-2011/

'View Source'

'Ctrl-f: Vita'

<li> <a href="/ps3/index.htm">PS Vita<span class="reg">&reg;</span></a>
<ul>
<li><a href="/psvita/features/index.htm">Features</a></li>
<li><a href="/psvita/games-and-media/index.htm">Games &amp; Media</a></li>

These links, of course, don't go anywhere yet.

Acosta

K.Jack said:
Come on, Sony, NGP is a freaking awesome name. Stick with it.

That's why SNK took it for their handheld :p

I'm sure Sony knows they can't compete with the memories of Neo Geo Pocket.

theBishop

Banned
I like the look of the "NGP" acronym, but it doesn't say "Playstation" anywhere. I don't like Vita, but presumably, it's the "Playstation Vita", which just shortens to "Playstation" in casual conversation.

PSP2 seems fine to me. I've never bought into version # pissing matches, and the clash between PSP2 and 3DS seems especially ridiculous to me.

btkadams

gofreak said:
I spy with my little eye...

http://us.playstation.com/e3-2011/

'View Source'

'Ctrl-f: Vita'

These links, of course, don't go anywhere yet.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

the playstation brand is forever changed because they have now dropped the number thing. it's obviously not even close to a dealbreaker lol but damn that really fucks with my head that it's not a psp2.

if the playstation 4 doesn't have a four, i might have to rethink my outlook on life.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
You can see inklings of how they're going to explain/justify the 'life' theme too in the teaser.

A gaming device will be revealed that has taken major strides involving you, your friends and the world around you into the heart of the gaming experience.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Amazing catch, gofreak.
theBishop said:
I like the look of the "NGP" acronym, but it doesn't say "Playstation" anywhere. I don't like Vita, but presumably, it's the "Playstation Vita", which just shortens to "Playstation" in casual conversation.
I bet Sony will be encouraging people to shorten it to 'Vita' in casual conversation.
And I have a feeling their next home console won't be Playstation 4.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
btkadams said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

the playstation brand is forever changed because they have now dropped the number thing. it's obviously not even close to a dealbreaker lol but damn that really fucks with my head that it's not a psp2.

if the playstation 4 doesn't have a four, i might have to rethink my outlook on life.

You can't have a "nintendo 3ds" in market and release a 'psp2' - it's the same reason Xbox 360 was '360' and not 'Xbox 2' - there's always a segment of the market (a rather large one) that will simply believe the hardware is older and the higher numbered product is newer/superior.

That, and the PSP is flatline in America. Might as well try to rebrand it

btkadams

Krev said:
Amazing catch, gofreak.

I bet Sony will be encouraging people to shorten it to 'Vita' in casual conversation.
noooooooo whyyyy sony

Sye d'Burns

Krev said:
Amazing catch, gofreak.

You think maybe it will just be '4' ?
i kid

theBishop

Banned
John Harker said:
You can't have a "nintendo 3ds" in market and release a 'psp2' - it's the same reason Xbox 360 was '360' and not 'Xbox 2' - there's always a segment of the market (a rather large one) that will simply believe the hardware is older and the higher numbered product is newer/superior.

That, and the PSP is flatline in America. Might as well try to rebrand it

I'm assuming part of Vita's strategy in the US is to reach the "dudebro" audience. Would a Modern Warfare player rather buy a PSP2, or a Vita?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
PlayStation 4 should be called PlayStation Hope.

anyway, now that we know that Vita is the official name for PSP2, please be $199 so I can buy you Vita.

Totobeni said:

anyway, now that we know that Vita is the official name for PSP2, please be $199 so I can buy you Vita.

I'm expecting it to be a low price (for the hardware, specs etc we've seen) but I'm not expecting it to be that low. If its under $250, I'll be surprised.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
theBishop said:
I'm assuming part of Vita's strategy in the US is to reach the "dudebro" audience. Would a Modern Warfare player rather buy a PSP2, or a Vita?
I think Sony are more concerned with 1) the Japanese audience and 2) making a system that can be marketed to many demographics, DS style, as the price drops.
They'll be able to target dudebros with the controls and graphics, and by not calling it PSP2 they won't be tying it to a past (relative, western) failure and will be in a better position to sell it to non-gamers.
I bet that's the thinking.

theBishop

Banned
Totobeni said:

If the rumors of ram reduction and axed internal storage are true, I think the door is open for a $250 model. $200 is wishful thinking total. Although if a $350 model has sane 3G service and internal storage, that might actually be a better deal.

French said:
Don't google image Vita.

vita-coco-440.jpg

'vita coco'

why not?

Krev said:
I think Sony are more concerned with 1) the Japanese audience and 2) making a system that can be marketed to many demographics, DS style, as the price drops.
They'll be able to target dudebros with the controls and graphics, and by not calling it PSP2 they won't be tying it to a past (relative, western) failure and will be in a better position to sell it to non-gamers.
I bet that's the thinking.

Makes sense to me. Though with a hopefully heavier western focus.

Mrbob

gofreak said:
You can see inklings of how they're going to explain/justify the 'life' theme too in the teaser.

So Vita may have a social focus bigger than just facebook integration? :p

I'm hoping these social features extend offline and online. Community focus is the main reasons Steam and even XBL go strong. Sony hasn't really nailed the same equivalent yet with their online service. Worldwide community focus built into the heart of the system would be a step in the right direction where gaming has been going.

btkadams

M_Night said:
Time to get used to the name people.

Will be interesting to see how Kaz/Trenton pronounce it.
it will be veeta. no one in their right mind would pronounce it vy-ta, or i'll be a sad man.

Futureman

My HTML isn't the best, but I assume that "Vita" thing should be on that gray sidebar on the left above PS3.

Obviously it isn't actually showing up on the page though. Is there CSS or something that is temporarily hiding it?

So...should we trust those leaked PS Vita pics that showed up a few days ago? Basically the design being exactly the same just changing (a really classy look) PlayStation for (two different fonts used) PS Vita? Hmm.

I'm still surprised it won't be PSP2 in Japan. Or if it has a different name per country that would also be a surprise.

Top Bottom