• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita Found On Sony's E3 Site, Now Removed

Krev said:
tuffy has a point.

Nintendo eventually dropped the 'Nintendo' and 'Game Boy' system monikers to adapt to a changing market. If things don't turn around for Sony, leaving 'Playstation' behind could be beneficial.

What? hell no.
Look at the xperia play, it has playstation suite and is meant as a phone to play games but doesn't get the light of day.

Playstation is a HUGE name (despite the taint of playstation 3 on it).
Everyone knows it, e.v.e.r.y.o.n.e from age 2 to 70 knows what a playstation is by now.
Why on earth would they want to shed that kind of brand recognition.

I still find it a bit puzzling why nintendo would dropped the gameboy name (I guess because they were marketing it to parents and braintraining grandparents and didn't want them to see it as the successor to a child's toy).
They marketed their system pretty much entirely on the brain training/nintendogs thing over here btw, that's what the DS ads showed, those games, with the ds just a tool to play em on.

i should enlist the help of my crafty friends so that when i get my PS Vita i can craft a Bioshock Vita Chamber stand for it.

i know, i know... terrible sub-humor but i think it will be worth it.

Jeels

It is going to take me a long time to get used to that name. Maybe when I hear them say it over and over at the press conference.

Huff

Banned
It's grown on me faster than "NGP" did and its only been a day or so since it has been rumored. Looking forward to seeing how Sony fails at marketing it.

yencid

BroHuffman said:
It's grown on me faster than "NGP" did and its only been a day or so since it has been rumored. Looking forward to seeing how Sony fails at marketing it.
ITS LIKE A NUT YOU CAN PLAY WITH OUTSIDE!

Vorg

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
So it's official...

What a dumb name... hope it gets changed.

Yeah.. In portuguese ps vita it sounds like this:

passe-vite.jpg

WillyFive

You guys will get used to it. Maybe even like the name.

Although it is pretty nonsensical, and strikes a very different tone than what we have seen from the system. At least 'Wii' summarized the whole concept of the Nintendo Revolution.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Willy105 said:
You guys will get used to it. Maybe even like the name.

Although it is pretty nonsensical, and strikes a very different tone than what we have seen from the system. At least 'Wii' summarized the whole concept of the Nintendo Revolution.

Yeah, the name really isn't going to matter. The games are what make the system.

Daschysta

What a stupid name.

At least with the wii you could see where they were going with it conceptually.

Vita just sounds dumb, doesn't have the mass appeal to bring in casual players, nor the brand-strength of playstation. It sounds like a portable operating system.

If your dead set on the PSV (five) thing then just leave it.... Playstation V!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Ichor said:
Well Sony beat the Wii for worst game device name.
Hah, no fucking way. Vita is pretty mediocre, but nothing is as terrible and laughable as Wii.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I honestly don't see how you guys think Vita is worse than Wii? That honestly makes no sense to me.

Takao

Banned
onQ123 said:
Ichor

but besides that I think wonderswan was the worst name for a video game device.

Wonderswan is amazing in a bad way.

Gizmondo sounds like a parody device in a show that can't use a real handheld.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Extracted from the flash file on the site:

NumSymbols= 1
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< TAG 0
CharacterID= 41
Name: ps_e3_tease_fla.vita_button_12

gofreak said:
There's nothing really to credit. I mean, I'm not 'a site'. I guess it would be nice for neogaf to be linked, but it doesn't really matter. It's a public URL, people check teaser sites for hints like this all the time, so if I hadn't, someone else would have anyway.

Ace detective and humble too. Nice work and even nicer outlook.

Cannot wait for this under any name.

hamchan

I still think the name Wii sounds stupid. Even if the Vita is successful I won't change my position that it's a stupid sounding name.

onQ123

Takao said:
Wonderswan is amazing in a bad way.

Gizmondo sounds like a parody device in a show that can't use a real handheld.

No-Game-No-Future-for-Zodiac-handheld-2.jpg

apple_pipin.jpg

lol yeah & Zodiac was pretty bad too as a video game console name & Apple's Pipin

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Not that I care for the name but as expected, some will like and then some will hate. I can accept that name as the system will likely be killer.

onQ123

Kagari said:

NumSymbols= 1
CharacterID= 41

What the fudge?

Vorg

Banned
Nobody liked xbox 360 at first either. People will eventually get used to it, but I still think it doesn't sound right.

Kagari said:

NumSymbols= 1
CharacterID= 41
1+0+4+1+3+1+2 = 12

Final Fantasy XII Vita Remake confirmed as a pack-in game.

Daschysta

Einbroch said:
Wii? Come on. It's laughable. Now it's as commonplace as Gameboy or Playstation, but you didn't think it was stupid when they first announced it?

Wii made sense. In a vacuum i'd agree it sounds kind of stupid, but it's very non-threatening, synthesized with a brilliant marketing campaign, is easy to remember, and was fortuitous to drop the "nintendo" moniker after the disapointment of the game-cube.

Vita on the other hand won't appeal to casuals, the system is a powerhouse that will likely be expensive, therefore not catering to that demographic anyway, is dropping a well-known brandname that is synonymous with successful videogame consoles to many gamers, sounds dumb in a vacuum, and not in an awesomely bad way like "starcube, or wonderswan". I just don't see the upside to it, and I think it sounds stupid in the first place.

It's like they felt pressured to name it something that started with a "V" just because it's the fifth playstation and randomly opened up a dictionary and picked a word. That's how I named my band in sixth grade, but i'd think a company with a huge marketing department like sony could do a bit better... But then again they did come out iwth those godawful PSP ads with that little kid acting "hardcore"...

Top Bottom