• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita Found On Sony's E3 Site, Now Removed

DrForester said:
KenAndKevinsExcellentAdventure.gif
You have won the internet.

Replicant

FFS, just called it Playstation Portable 2. How difficult is it? Also, I hope they do a slight redesign of the console. I wasn't too fond of the latest iterations.

AniHawk

Anth0ny said:
Honestly, it's just a name. Remember Wii? We got over it in, like, a week. Sounds weird now, will sound normal by the end of E3. Whatever.

i remember some backlash against the xbox 360 name too.

and i wasn't on the internets at the time, but i think the dreamcast got its share as well. people get really used to codenames. there were people who wanted the gamecube to be called dolphin.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Have we not learned anything from the Wii fiasco? No one is gonna care 2 weeks from now.

JaseMath

"I have a Vita."

That sounds fucking stupid. Even in my darkest hour I knew saying, "I have a Wii" would catch on if only because the Wii moniker was so unique.

"I have a Vita."
Ugh. No.

EDIT: BTW, I'm assuming it's pronounced "Vy-tuh" since it's supposedly derived from the Latin word for Life (ie. "vitality").

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
JasonMCG said:
EDIT: BTW, I'm assuming it's pronounced "Vy-tuh" since it's supposedly derived from the Latin word for Life (ie. "vitality").
But isn't that root (vita) pronounced vee-tah by most the world? I think it's mostly only English where vy-tah (it's more like vy-tuh) is common.

Regardless, I agree:
JasonMCG said:
That sounds fucking stupid.
Can someone link me or point me towards Dr Forester's other recent GIFs? If they're half as awesome, I gotta see!

JaseMath

omg.kittens said:
But isn't that root (vita) pronounced vee-tah by most the world? I think it's mostly only English where vy-tah (it's more like vy-tuh) is common.

Regardless, I agree:

Can someone link me or point me towards Dr Forester's other recent GIFs? If they're half as awesome, I gotta see!
I was thinking it was like...I don't know, vitamin, but I suppose the pronunciation could go either way. "Vee-tuh" sounds better though not by much.

Meier

It's pronounced vee-ta. Fun fact, in the world of higher ed, resumes are referred to as vitas rather than CVs (vitaes).

Dennis

Banned
"PS Vita"

sounds close to

"Piece of shit-a"

or is that just me?

Terrrible, terrible name.

Also sounds like some sort of health-food hippy cracker.

JasonMCG said:
"I have a Vita."

That sounds fucking stupid. Even in my darkest hour I knew saying, "I have a Wii" would catch on if only because the Wii moniker was so unique.

"I have a Vita."
Ugh. No.

I'm guessing it's pronounced Veeta.

And it is certainly not a stupid name.

Playstation, Wii, Xbox.................but people draw the line at Vita? lol. Names fine. Who cares what its called as long as it delivers.

Gravijah

Big Baybee said:
Playstation, Wii, Xbox.................but people draw the line at Vita? lol. Names fine. Who cares what its called as long as it delivers.

It's very important. The guy who named it the Vita has a wife and kids and now until the rest of time they will be mocked.

This is serious.

I don't think the word is bad perse. I just don't think it works super well as a name for a dedicated gaming system.

It's more like a name given to a phone, or as posted above, a box of crackers.

hiro4

I guess vita will be the name of the OS or the social app that the device will carry. Since Sony wants it to be part of our lives.

If the device is called vita, this is perhaps even worse then the Wii.

So is it confirmed at this point? Or is there a chance that Sony deliberately put 'Vita' in the source code of the website in order to throw us off the scent?

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Most of the platformnames are stupid.... heck imo even PlayStation ıs a pretty stupıd and corny name. After a whıle people will get used to it and in the end nobody will give a crap.

Special J

Banned
K.Jack said:
Come on, Sony, NGP is a freaking awesome name. Stick with it.

you know why its awesome because it was already used by another handheld neogeo pocket

vita is unlike the other platforms, they were in a sense gibberish vita already has meaning for life/vitality, its kinda like sony trying to be like everyone else by making an obscure brand name like wii or kinect but failing at it.

kinect sports, wii sports makes sense. vita sports sounds terribly generic since it already has meaning and no one is going to associate vita to handheld.

Dear lord its a name, it didnt stop me enjoying wii, ds, xbox, xbox 360, etc etc etc. Its a name nothing more nothing less. How many ipad jokes were there or wii.

Special J

Banned
Pazuzu9 said:
So is it confirmed at this point? Or is there a chance that Sony deliberately put 'Vita' in the source code of the website in order to throw us off the scent?

if sony trolled us that would be amazing but they're not smart enough to do that. jack trenton is gonna have a fit again like last E3 about leaks lol.

edit: just for comparison i wanted to see how early they leaked kinect and wow im surprised they managed to keep the name underwraps until the day before it was announced thats kinda impressive. same with the xbox slim.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Special J said:
if sony trolled us that would be amazing but they're not smart enough to do that.

They, intentionally or otherwise, kind of led us up the garden path last year with Arc vs Move. Everyone was sure it was Arc, then last minute we find out it's Move.

I sort of doubt that's the case here though, this would all be a very elaborate, too elaborate, just to throw people off.

Utako

Banned
JasonMCG said:
"I have a Vita."

"I have a Vita."
Ugh. No.

It's vee-tah.

Special J

Banned
gofreak said:
They, intentionally or otherwise, kind of led us up the garden path last year with Arc vs Move. Everyone was sure it was Arc, then last minute we find out it's Move.

I sort of doubt that's the case here though, this would all be a very elaborate, too elaborate, just to throw people off.

ya totally forgot about the arc and move thing, i guess that was a pretty good red herring.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
JasonMCG said:
The Latin word is pronounced "Vee-ta".

AniHawk

gofreak said:

i think even their graphic designers thought it was arc.

conman

Meier said:
It's pronounced vee-ta. Fun fact, in the world of higher ed, resumes are referred to as vitas rather than CVs (vitaes).
Not in the humanities.

But, yeah, regardless, I don't think it'll be pronounced "vai-tah." Only Americans would do that if they saw the word. The rest of the world will see the word and pronounce it "vee-tah."

Triton55

Vita sounds alright to me. I can get thinking it's kinda a dumb name, but there are a lot worse names out there so I wouldn't say it's terrible at all.

Top Bottom