• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita Found On Sony's E3 Site, Now Removed

NewFresh

THutZRp9Jfdh2d8ajjAeyEF1o1_500.jpg

Utako said:
The Vita is going to destroy the 3DS, isn't it?

Gaming, she is a fickle craft if ever I seen her.

That's definitely still up in the air. DS was an inferior handheld to the psp but it had so many more quality titles.

We'll see what happens with these two next-gen handhelds in a year or so.

SmokyDave

Utako said:
No, they're both going to whimper along in a lacklustre manner whilst we scratch our heads and try to figure out why sales are so mediocre for both software and hardware.

Izayoi

Banned
Utako said:
Uh, no?

Also, who the fuck thought this would be a good name.

Fucking hell, it's even worse than NGP.

Why couldn't they just stick with PSP2?

Zomba13

PSV I don't mind. Vita just makes me think of Vitamin water.

Names don't really matter much though, you get used to anything eventually. I doubt I'd get this at launch or maybe even at all. I only use my PSP for SE games like KH:BBS.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Izayoi said:
Uh, no?

The games look far more compelling, the HW is better PERIOD, and the 3DS is going to get better. I think this will be far more compelling in the who is better dept. We haven't had the lid blown on how cool the features and such will be but even at this point, the VITA or whatever is already far more compelling than the body of work I've seen from 3DS at this point. Great to have both though.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Izayoi said:
Uh, no?

Maybe they're trying to leave the negative impression of the PSP name behind them?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Arkham said:
Looks like DualPixels.com seems to be taking credit for your find.

http://www.dualpixels.com/profiles/blogs/playstation-vita-leaked-on
They are now crediting him
"Thanks GAF [PlayStation.com]"

Buutttt.....

I was bored and wanted to see what other websites listed as the source of the source code find. Looks like Kotaku (credited gofreak) and 1up (credited Joystiq) were the latest ones to the party. Joysiq and gameinformer.com credited destructoid.com, who credited "Pedro" without a link an hour an 25 mins after gofreak's post. Destructoid may look like they posted it 25 mins after gofreak but their website is an hour too slow on my end. I searched their memberlist and see no active Pedro. There's the "Got news? email us" feature.....

gofreak said:
They, intentionally or otherwise, kind of led us up the garden path last year with Arc vs Move. Everyone was sure it was Arc, then last minute we find out it's Move.

I sort of doubt that's the case here though, this would all be a very elaborate, too elaborate, just to throw people off.

Has no one reached out to Sony about the name or something? or I assume all the press and publishers know the name but just arent speaking at all...I didnt see the usual "Sony doesnt comment on rumor nor speculation" etc.

Oh gorgeous launch game visuals, now this is a portable hardware launch I wont regret being a part of.

LiquidMetal14 said:
The games look far more compelling, the HW is better PERIOD, and the 3DS is going to get better. I think this will be far more compelling in the who is better dept. We haven't had the lid blown on how cool the features and such will be but even at this point, the VITA or whatever is already far more compelling than the body of work I've seen from 3DS at this point. Great to have both though.
3DS looked just as compelling if not moreso this time last year

Wait for the honeymoon period to be over before saying such things. Sony could easily make wrong decisions with pricing, or the games not compelling enough. Who knows.

Slime

Banned
Utako said:

Gaming, she is a fickle craft if ever I seen her.

Everyone assumed the same thing when the PSP was announced, and look how that turned out. This could be the same thing all over again, and already kind of is, when you take into consideration the design mentality behind the two devices versus their predecessors (powerful hardware designed for home console-style experiences vs. less powerful hardware and more accessible experiences). It doesn't help Sony that their own brand is nowhere near as powerful as it was when the PSP launched, and Nintendo's is more powerful than ever with the success of both the DS and Wii.

Nor does it help either of them that the realm of portable gadgetry has changed entirely with the advent of the smart phone and the tablet. I predict a repeat of last gen, but with both companies facing losses, not to each other but to the iPhone/Android market.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Utako said:
Games will ultimately decide who wins.

That said, I suspect both Nintendo and Sony will have to work much harder this generation, which is great for everyone.

Izayoi

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
There are rumors of Sony cutting specs, and that's a red flag to me. If they don't price it right, or can't deliver on what they've shown us, it's going to end very poorly.

Nintendo fucked up with the price point, but they've got plenty of time to fix that before the NGP (Vita is fucking stupid and I refuse to call it that) is released.

Kagari said:
Maybe they're trying to leave the negative impression of the PSP name behind them?
I guess... but even then they could've stuck with NGP. Vita just sounds fucking awful.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
DeathNote said:
They are now crediting him
"Thanks GAF [PlayStation.com]"

Buutttt.....

I was bored and wanted to see what other websites listed as the source of the source code find. Looks like Kotaku (credited gofreak) and 1up (credited Joystiq) were the latest ones to the party. Joysiq and gameinformer.com credited destructoid.com, who credited "Pedro" without a link an hour an 25 mins after gofreak's post. Destructoid may look like they posted it 25 mins after gofreak but their website is an hour too slow on my end. I searched their memberlist and see no active Pedro. There's the "Got news? email us" feature.....

That "Thanks GAF" was NOT in the original piece (see my quoted text). They added it after I made my post.

GoFreak -- I posted your credit on the Engadget piece's comments page too. You deserve it.

btkadams

Izayoi said:
There are rumors of Sony cutting specs, and that's a red flag to me. If they don't price it right, or can't deliver on what they've shown us, it's going to end very poorly.

Nintendo fucked up with the price point, but they've got plenty of time to fix that before the NGP (Vita is fucking stupid and I refuse to call it that) is released.

I guess... but even then they could've stuck with NGP. Vita just sounds fucking awful.
how can anyone think they should have called it next generation portable? seriously? that's like calling a game, "massive action game." /shiftyeyes

vita is lame compared to psp2 but they're both a million times better than calling this thing ngp.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Utako said:

I don't know. Nice as Vita looks, it seems Sony's trying to do the same thing they did with PSP and seriously out muscle Nintendo on the power and that didn't work (least in a "beat Nintendo" sense).

Nintendo also has this guy. It's like their own personal cheat button.

Sugimoris025.png

Gravijah

DrForester said:
I don't know. Nice as Vita looks, it seems Sony's trying to so the same thing they did with PSP and seriously out muscle Nintendo on the power and that didn't work (least in a "beat Nintendo" sense).

Nintendo also has this guy. It's like their own personal cheat button.

Sugimoris025.png

toss a thunderstone on him

paskowitz

If the logo on the system says PSV. I am fine, but if it says Playstation Vita or even worse PSVITA, I will just sharpie it out.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I want a Vita even though I doubt it will be more successful than the 3DS. I'm very happy with the quality of software on the PSP even though it didn't blow the competition out of the water, and I imagine the same thing happening with the Vita.

Slime said:
Everyone assumed the same thing when the PSP was announced, and look how that turned out. This could be the same thing all over again, and already kind of is, when you take into consideration the design mentality behind the two devices versus their predecessors (powerful hardware designed for home console-style experiences vs. less powerful hardware and more accessible experiences).

Well, in all fairness to Sony, Vita also includes control methods (dual multitouch surfaces, high-quality cameras, gyro) that allow for games only possible on a handheld. I just have no faith that Sony has any clue how to create, market, and position that software in a way that consumers will find compelling, especially in light of PS Move's performance.

As for more console-style games, the downside of near-HD graphics is near-HD budgets, and I have trouble seeing that not being a huge impediment to getting exclusive core-oriented support from third parties, especially considering the worldwide performance of Vita's predecessor. But perhaps Sony's E3 showing will prove me wrong.

AgentChris said:
I think its the same bubble UI from the unveiling.
Dammit!
I was hoping due to the overwhelming negative feedback Sony received they would have changed it.
Oh well, they can always update it via firmware.

KKRT00

Nirolak said:
Games will ultimately decide who wins.

That said, I suspect both Nintendo and Sony will have to work much harder this generation, which is great for everyone.
I think that cross-platform multiplayer is big and underestimate feature of NGP. This feature alone can bring COD crowd to NGP.

Still i wont buy a handheld, just because i dont have time to use it outside of home.

jcm

Do we think it's pronounced V-/aɪ/-ta (long i, like vitamin in American English), V-/ɪ/-ta (short i, like vitamin in British English) or V-/i/-ta (Long E, like "La Dolce Vita")?

Both 3ds and ngp are going to fail thanks to mobile devices becoming awful gaming devices. Still wish that a portable powerful gaming device would succeed but I can't see it happening.

whitehawk

Banned
AlphaDragoon said:
...Were you here for the DS vs. PSP?
Yeah. I got both at launch, and remember saying that the PSP was much much better. I'm not sure if I was wrong, but the consumers diffidently disagreed with me.

Top Bottom