• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita Found On Sony's E3 Site, Now Removed

xbhaskarx

BladeoftheImmortal said:
Playstation Violence

Playstation Vendetta

Playstation Violin

Playstation Vasectomy

Congratulations, your ability to replace Vita with other words that happen to begin with the letter V is second to none!

wrowa

I don't like mixing different languages in a single name, "PlayStation Veeta" sounds strange to my ears. Apart of that I don't have any problems with the "Vita" name.

The name somewhat implies that Sony wants to target the casual audience more, though, which confuses me a bit. I don't think a handheld of that size has the potential to be carried around by many people. Most people I know even think the 3DS is far too big and that handheld is still a good chunk smaller than the NGP, pardon me, Vita.

gofreak said:
Out of curiosity, is SCEA teasing NGP @ E3 as much as SCEE appears to be?

All I've seen on GAF over the last few days have been teaser ads for it from SCEE. First time I've seen them advertise their E3 presence like that.

Ive had one in gmail (ad bar links) to the SCEA site for NGP.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Some further corroboration, methinks.

We actually HAVE seen one of those new OS icons before. Just very subtly, in the GDC presentation screencaps from 'near'.

5Bnrn.png

jXlWI.png

xl81h.png

gofreak said:
Some further corroboration, methinks.

We actually HAVE seen one of those new OS icons before. Just very subtly, in the GDC presentation screencaps from 'near'.

http://i.imgur.com/5Bnrn.png[/IG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/jXlWI.png[/IG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/xl81h.png[/IG][/QUOTE]

Is the green one at the top bar of those as well? It looks like it.

Tobor

wrowa said:
I don't like mixing different languages in a single name, "PlayStation Veeta" sounds strange to my ears. Apart of that I don't have any problems with the "Vita" name.

The name somewhat implies that Sony wants to target the casual audience more, though, which confuses me a bit. I don't think a handheld of that size has the potential to be carried around by many people. Most people I know even think the 3DS is far too big and that handheld is still a good chunk smaller than the NGP, pardon me, Vita.
That's what I was saying earlier. This system is going to have an identity crisis. The hardware is clearly hardcore-centric, but the UI and name are very casual.

M.D

I don't remember in what video we've seen the OS being used but I really love the OS design

They should really re-design XMB :(

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Dedication Through Light said:
Is the green one at the top bar of those as well? It looks like it.

Yeah, could be indeed.

I think parts of the location stuff are separated out into different base infrastructures/apps. Based on the screens the blue 'hello' one might be a bit like mii plaza chance encounter stuff, but related to item exchange or something. Maybe the green one is about leaving and receiving notes in real locations. Sort of hard to read their meaning though.

Takao

Banned
It seems like Sony's going to start letting the cat out of the bag, as BigBig says they're launching a new website this week prior to some E3 dealings. BigBig is developing Little Deviants.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Takao said:
It seems like Sony's going to start letting the cat out of the bag, as BigBig says they're launching a new website this week prior to some E3 dealings. BigBig is developing Little Deviants.

They're launching it this Thursday, even, same day new Uncharted info is due. So yeah, sounds like the wheels might start turning then.

Zoe

Hugh Buelow said:
According to Wikipedia, ウィ = Wi (it is a small イ).

That's not a "wi" sound, that's an approximation of the "wi" sound which sounds more like "oo-eee". It's like saying they can say "vi" because it can be written as ヴィ.

There actually is a "wi" sound, but it was deprecated a long long time ago, and it's not one that they say naturally: ゐ.

SmokyDave

Playstation Vita - Refreshes thirst, replaces lost energy.

Playstation Vita - For those 'perfectly kissable' legs.

Playstation Vita - Water so fresh, you'll swear it came from a spring!

Playstation Vita - Live your life, ignore your menstrual cycle.

Playstation Vita - One side is a hockey table, the other, table football!

Meh, I'm not feeling it.

spats

SmokyDave said:
Playstation Vita - Refreshes thirst, replaces lost energy.

Playstation Vita - For those 'perfectly kissable' legs.

Playstation Vita - Water so fresh, you'll swear it came from a spring!

Playstation Vita - Live your life, ignore your menstrual cycle.

Playstation Vita - One side is a hockey table, the other, table football!

Meh, I'm not feeling it.

Maybe you're misinterpreting it. I think it's actually an acronym. Among other things VITA is registered as Virtual Integrated Transport and Access on acronymfinder.com. You know what that means? Yep, virtual reality. You read it here first.

JackEtc

spats said:
Maybe you're misinterpreting it. I think it's actually an acronym. Among other things VITA is registered as Virtual Integrated Transport and Access on acronymfinder.com. You know what that means? Yep, virtual reality. You read it here first.
Beam me up, Sony.

Spiegel

CUIse.jpg

gofreak said:
They're launching it this Thursday, even, same day new Uncharted info is due. So yeah, sounds like the wheels might start turning then.

Good, I can't wait.

We haven't seen anything new since January

SmokyDave

spats said:
I think it stands for 'Viciously Intense Testicle Ache'. It's a feature you get if you drop it on your lap.

BadWolf

Tobor said:
That's what I was saying earlier. This system is going to have an identity crisis. The hardware is clearly hardcore-centric, but the UI and name are very casual.

After names like 360 and Wii I can't really see a problem.

The UI is very different from the original and that is important imo, not to mention I kinda like having everything in the open instead of being hidden in the XMB design.

It is better than NGP. I hated that name. I'll mull it over for a while before deciding if I like it or not.

Right now I don't 'get' it... but doesn't mean I won't once we see what the device can do. 'Wii' was a name that obviously had initial issues, but I always understood what it meant.

Takao said:

I still find it hard to believe that Sony is actually going to end all Vita software NDAs this week, unless they don't want to have much to reveal about the system at their E3 conference. For now, I'm guessing that this just applies to a couple first-party titles and maybe something that Konami (KojiPro?) will be announcing at their pre-E3 conference.

KAL2006

Banned
gofreak said:

Likely some first party studios and Sony published software will be revealed at Thursday. LittleDeviants is published by Sony ans so is Uncharted.

Spiegel said:
Are we sure Uncharted will be shown this thursday?

I saw it on vg247 but I don't remember seeing it anywhere else.

The correction is notable as Sony won't actually confirm any of the other details revealed by Balestra, telling us, "New information on Uncharted NGP (working title) will be released on June 2." The other details, however, are similarly intriguing: potential interaction between the NGP title and Uncharted 3 on PlayStation 3, and a focus on exploration over gunfights.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/23/uncharted-ngp-takes-place-before-drakes-fortune-more-details-c/

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Spiegel said:
Are we sure Uncharted will be shown this thursday?

I saw it on vg247 but I don't remember seeing it anywhere else.

IIRC, there was some comment from Naughty Dog about when the game takes place, and Sony clarified the comment to some site, and added that more info would be released on June 2. Can't remember which site it was, but apparently Sony PR said that to them.

edit - beaten a lot more comprehensively!

Of all E3 announcements, I'm most interested in the NGP/Sony Vita. A part of me really wishes Sony would revisit the form factor as it's a bit too big for my needs/tastes (which will likely keep me from buying it), but I am really curious what the support will look like. Lumines NGP, Madden, FIFA etc...could be really cool.

For their DD service, if it's also able to play current PSN titles like Peggle, etc. that would be a huge bonus.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
the big question is, would there be a barrier in importing one?

i mean, if it's region free there's no need to wait for the NA/EU sku. Set the device to english and you're good, right?

Playing through Ys seven atm on my psp and it got me interested in NGP again.
Never knew that psp was capable of such nice graphics , I've had it for 5 years+ but hadn't bought a game for it since crisis core.

Fuck the stupid name, I want to see some cool games next week.

Can't wait to play with a proper analog stick, it's tolerable in Ys but drives me nuts in most of my other games.

btkadams

Gamecocks625 said:
Of all E3 announcements, I'm most interested in the NGP/Sony Vita. A part of me really wishes Sony would revisit the form factor as it's a bit too big for my needs/tastes (which will likely keep me from buying it), but I am really curious what the support will look like. Lumines NGP, Madden, FIFA etc...could be really cool.

For their DD service, if it's also able to play current PSN titles like Peggle, etc. that would be a huge bonus.
Peggle was released as a mini (psp/ngp/ps3), so it will definitely be available in that form.

Paracelsus

Somnid said:
Another reason I don't like it. It's ambiguous.

It's not, it's "veetah", even though people in the US will say "vytah", much like "Nike" is not "Naykey" but even manifacturers themselves call it like that.

Somnid

Paracelsus said:
It's not, it's "veetah", even though people in the US will say "vytah", much like "Nike" is not "Naykey" but even manifacturers themselves call it like that.

Only a fool would expect language to be consistent.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Somnid said:
Only a fool would expect English to be consistent.
Fixed.

English is the worst when it comes to consistency of pronunciation.

In non-English language territories, people will instantly know it's 'Veet-a'.

Agent X

btkadams said:
Peggle was released as a mini (psp/ngp/ps3), so it will definitely be available in that form.

Peggle was never released as a Mini. There is a PS3 version, and there is also a separate PSP version. I don't believe the PSP version has all of the features of the PS3 version, such as online multiplayer and online scoreboards.

The Vita should be able to use the PSP version.

Top Bottom