• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita Found On Sony's E3 Site, Now Removed

Magnus

Vita is hardly an outlandish name compared to "Wii" back in 2005/2006. Does no one remember the insane backlash over that preposterous name? It's easily become a household word since.

Gravijah

Magnus said:
Vita is hardly an outlandish name compared to "Wii" back in 2005/2006. Does no one remember the insane backlash over that preposterous name? It's easily become a household word since.

I don't really think Vita is outlandish, I think it just sucks compared to the superior NGP. Plus it reminds me of smartphone branding.

Please don't be true.

I'm with the poster that wants the badass names of the 80's to come back.

Hell, even "X-box" sounds badass compared to the names we're getting now.

It should be called "Playstation Portable EyeMelter" or something.
Gravijah said:
I don't really think Vita is outlandish, I think it just sucks compared to the superior NGP. Plus it reminds me of smartphone branding.
NGP is as generic as MAG and PSP. I mean, the name works and all, but ffs come up with a cool name.

Spiegel

Takao said:
I'd be willing to say Novarama is behind Reality Fighters for the NGP. That "K.O" font is identical to the font they used in their PSP augmented reality games (Invizimals, and Invizimals: Shadow Zone).

You are correct. They are working on the game

Tobor

Magnus said:
1. Nintendo was going after a casual audience, and a name like Wii made sense considering the target market. The NGP is a hardcore gamers machine, top to bottom, it makes no sense to use a casual sounding brand. They're marketing against the grain.

2. The success of the Wii doesn't make this an automatic home run. Nonsense words are not a guarantee of success(lol, Zune).

3. Wii is a better name than Vita, straight up.

So - PSV for short and it happens to be the fifth Playstation system . . . PSP and PSV sound a little to close though to not cause some confusion in casual spoken conversation.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Tobor said:
1. Nintendo was going after a casual audience, and a name like Wii made sense considering the target market. The NGP is a hardcore gamers machine, top to bottom, it makes no sense to use a casual sounding brand. They're marketing against the grain.

2. The success of the Wii doesn't make this an automatic home run. Nonsense words are not a guarantee of success(lol, Zune).

You don't think it makes sense to call a hardcore games device "LIFE"? It seems perfect to me. It's your LIFE if you love games. PlayStation Life sounds worse, and it's half taken already. But Vita is kind of exotic.

Gravijah

FunkyPajamas said:
NGP is as generic as MAG and PSP. I mean, the name works and all, but ffs come up with a cool name.

Cool names are dead. :(

the_prime_mover said:
So - PSV for short and it happens to be the fifth Playstation system . . . PSP and PSV sound a little to close though to not cause some confusion in casual spoken conversation.

There's zero reason you would call it the PSV instead of Vita.

scoobs

The name makes sense to me, plus PSV sounds good. I could care less about thr name of the device... I just want it!

Massa

Tobor said:

I really doubt Sony wants just a hardcore gamers machine, that would be changing gears from their past 4 consoles.

For those gamers they'll sell with the Playstation name alone, anyway.

Tobor

Y2Kev said:
You don't think it makes sense to call a hardcore games device "LIFE"? It seems perfect to me. It's your LIFE if you love games. PlayStation Life sounds worse, and it's half taken already. But Vita is kind of exotic.
Maybe in Latin America. In North America, not so much. "Playstation Go" would have worked, but they wasted that one already.

I wonder if this is just to disassociate it from the PSP, or whether Sony are thinking more broadly that Playstation (Portable) *number* is starting to have diminishing returns? Will we get a Playstation 4 or a Playstation *something*.

Tellaerin

Tobor said:

Sorry to break this to you, bro, but they're both awful names. The only reason 'Wii' seems marginally better at this point is because familiarity has robbed it of some of its lameness. I'm sure Vita will sound less awful after we've heard it a billion times, too.

Doesn't mean that either name sucks any less, though.

Hazelhurst said:
That name worked out great for Sega.

Wikipedia said:
Though its sales success as a non-Nintendo handheld has been surpassed by the PlayStation Portable (PSP), the Game Gear still stands as the longest supported handheld console not made by Nintendo. Furthermore, it was also the most successful competitor to the Game Boy, selling 11 million units.

Yeah, that sounds like a Hindenburg-level disaster right there. :p

Takao

Banned
Tellaerin said:
Yeah, that sounds like a Hindenburg-level disaster right there. :p

Gamegear lasted seven years (how many of those years contained notable software? I don't know). The PSP will be in its year in November (2004-2011). It will most likely hit 8 or 9 before all support is gone.

GavinGT

Banned
tumblr_kwo162SxzN1qaszhfo1_400.jpg

Massa

Tobor said:
We're applying for jobs in Sony's marketing department, apparently that's a prerequisite!

They're working around the clock to read all applications. Thank you for your patience.

Tellaerin

Takao said:
Gamegear lasted seven years (how many of those years contained notable software? I don't know). The PSP will be in its year in November (2004-2011). It will most likely hit 8 or 9 before all support is gone.

My point was that Hazelhurst made it sound like the Game Gear bombed, when it actually did pretty damn well for the time when it was released. (Either that or my sarcasm detector's on the fritz again.)

carlo6529 said:
ngp is just fine; vita is dumb. The thing doesn't create fucking life.

And the Saturn wasn't a planet, and the Dreamcast didn't cast dreams. Your point?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
carlo6529 said:
ngp is just fine; vita is dumb. The thing doesn't create fucking life.
I remember tons of people bitching about the use of "next gen" when it was technically "current gen".

If it used the name NGP... the day it releases it'll be current gen. A trollish reminder of past arguments.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
GavinGT said:
Man, "Dreamcast" was pretty much the best console name ever. "Genesis" was pretty good, too.
THE THING BROADCASTED FUCKING DREAMS! It doesn't GET any cooler than that.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Not bad, it'll grow on me. But boy am I glad we'll finally get rid of NGP. Terrible codename, really glad Sony only used it as such.

Seriously? A thousand plus posts about the name of the thing?

Who really cares what it is called?

Playstation and Wii could very well be the two dumbest names in product history but it didn't stop them from doing well.

Top Bottom