• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita Found On Sony's E3 Site, Now Removed

Spiegel

In somewhat related news

Sony Sees Smaller Burden From New Hand-Held Device

TOKYO—Sony Corp.'s chief financial officer said the company doesn't expect the large losses usually associated with the launch of a new videogame device when its hand-held system makes its debut later this year, because it intends to forego expensive development of components.

Historically, new PlayStation systems have required big investments to develop and make new semiconductors for the device. But Chief Financial Officer Masaru Kato said in an interview that Sony has a strategy to ease capital expenditures for its new hand-held console, the PlayStation Portable—tentatively called the Next Generation Portable, or NGP.

For example, Sony could use chip foundries—chip-making ...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303745304576354921678246558.html

Agent X

gofreak said:
The resolution could be dynamic depending on the density of NGP players.

It might go down to the level of a starbucks in one area or the level of a block or town or even county in another (although, granted, the less granular the resolution the less compelling it might be).

I agree. This reminds me of the BBSes (bulletin board systems) that were prevalent during the 1980s and early 1990s. They were compelling in the sense that you were communicating with people who were (mostly) geographically located only a few miles/kilometers from you. It was much easier to chit-chat about local events, and plan out get-togethers to meet in person.

Something like the idea you proposed could be cool. A player would have the opportunity to "rule" his town or his county in a particular game.

gofreak said:
The big advantage over streetpass here is that you don't have to be in places at the same time as other people. It can connect you asynchronously over time, so if people check into places over weeks and months - whether someone else with a NGP is present or not - they can discover and engage with the community 'there'.

In terms of implementation - ideal case would be if Sony sewed it into the OS, integrated it with LiveArea etc. etc. BUT, even if they don't, as long as devs have access to the location data, they could roll their own stuff for their own game.

'near' is on the right track though, but game specific community formation and discovery should be the next step.

True. I would also suggest that Sony have a system similar to the Autolog feature in the recent Need for Speed games. In the NFS games, Autolog allows you to view challenges, comments, and photos from people on your friends list. Vita should have a similar setup, but also have the option to view this type of data coming from other local users, regardless of whether or not they are on your friends list. They should also have the ability to export this type of data through popular online social networks and photo/video sharing sites.

patsu

gofreak said:
There's that theme again.

I mentioned this slightly on Twitter, but I hope Vita - 'Life' - will be a reference to integration with your 'real life' in terms of community and competition in games.

Like, Vita should basically have a foursquare style foundation that transparently discovers communities of people playing the same games as you in the places you go to, and let you join them if you want. This should be a service exposed by the near application to all games.

So if, say, a few people go to the same Starbucks and they all play Wipeout on their Vita, it would invite them to join what would basically be a Wipeout club for that Starbucks.

Global competition is intimidating for most people - most will never touch the top of global leaderboards - but here you could constrain competition and engagement to scopes related to places that are actually to some degree meaningful for you - like your office or university or local bookshop or whatever. Make competition more 'local', intimate, and give more satisfaction to more players by letting them rule their own local roosts, so to speak.

That would be a interesting foundation to build the online/community side of things on, and you could layer all sorts of other things on top of that, like the treasure hunt idea, AR, etc. And it would be a very different spin on things than's possible on PS3, would be welcome differentiation that makes sense of why you'd want certain games on a portable that you might not otherwise want to play there.

/digresson

Yap, Sony should also consolidate adhoc party, PS Home into the mix. PS Home has clubhouses, but they never flesh out the concept. Adding local communities makes a lot of sense for advertisers too.

okenny

Banned
Ezalc said:
Isn't the v sound in latin spoken like a w? Maybe it's wiita. Yeah I think it sounds bad either way.

I've heard some Japanese voice actors have a hard ime saying W for what it's worth :/

patsu

Josh7289 said:
It sounds nothing like 'beta'.

I like the name, actually.

I think it's a neutral and safe choice. More important is the software stack and user experience. Looking forward to see their progress (if any !)

French said:
It makes sense now, because it's indeed their next generation portable. But when it will be released that won't make any sense.
Right. NGP works as well as something like NOY, the "PlayStation Not Out Yet".

onQ123

CosmicGroinPull said:
Are they sure they want to go with a name that sounds like Beta?

WTH? is doesn't sound like Beta.

vita sounds like the end of Velveeta

velveeta.jpg

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
gofreak said:
The resolution could be dynamic depending on the density of NGP players.

It might go down to the level of a starbucks in one area or the level of a block or town or even county in another (although, granted, the less granular the resolution the less compelling it might be).

The big advantage over streetpass here is that you don't have to be in places at the same time as other people. It can connect you asynchronously over time, so if people check into places over weeks and months - whether someone else with a NGP is present or not - they can discover and engage with the community 'there'.

In terms of implementation - ideal case would be if Sony sewed it into the OS, integrated it with LiveArea etc. etc. BUT, even if they don't, as long as devs have access to the location data, they could roll their own stuff for their own game.

'near' is on the right track though, but community formation and discovery based on location should be the next step.

I guess I just don't see the advantage over the regular leaderboards. It allows someone to say, "Hey, I own the best time on that track out of anybody who played it at my Starbucks!" Do you really think that's what people are looking for?

ToyBroker

Banned
I honestly don't give a shit what it's named as long as it plays awesome games.

Besides, the name will become popular and likable anyways just like the Wii.

Big companies put a LOT of research and brand analysis before picking names.

So we have already:
- Vita because it means life in Latin and they are giving their handheld a new life
- Vita because it means life in Latin and they want to integrate it with your real life
- Vita because PSV taking V as a roman numeral would be PS5 and its the 5th PS system
- Vita because PSV taking V as a roman numeral would be PS5 and it the following number to PSP-1000, PSP-2000, PSP-3000, PSP Go (4 in Japanese)
- Vita because its pronounced as greek letter Beta, 2nd in the alphabet, for their 2nd handheld

Sheesh, now wouldn't it be fun if they come on-stage and say 'its vita for "very interesting thing alright?"' and promptly leave stage with a troll expression.

patsu

Plinko said:
I guess I just don't see the advantage over the regular leaderboards. It allows someone to say, "Hey, I own the best time on that track out of anybody who played it at my Starbucks!" Do you really think that's what people are looking for?

Depends on who you are and how they package it. It can be school-wide, city-wide, state-wide. The reason I bring up PS Home is because the concept doesn't need to be locked down to geography too. Should be able to set up a GAF-wide competition too.

Acrylic7

I still don't understand why they needed come up with a new name.

Is there something wrong with "PSP2?
I just don't get it.

patsu

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
So we have already:
- Vita because it means life in Latin and they are giving their handheld a new life
- Vita because it means life in Latin and they want to integrate it with your real life
- Vita because PSV taking V as a roman numeral would be PS5 and its the 5th PS system
- Vita because PSV taking V as a roman numeral would be PS5 and it the following number to PSP-1000, PSP-2000, PSP-3000, PSP Go (4 in Japanese)
- Vita because its pronounced as greek letter Beta, 2nd in the alphabet, for their 2nd handheld

Sheesh, now wouldn't it be fun if they come on-stage and say 'its vita for "very interesting thing alright?"' and promptly leave stage with a troll expression.

Get the press to nickname it Playstation V (vee) and we are done.

Plinko said:
It's like going to local arcade or lan party. It's a chance to actually meet new people who happen to like the same games as you. Hard to do that if your online opponent is in another state or country.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
patsu said:
Get the press to nickname it Playstation V (vee) and we are done.
There's already a Vii though.

PSVita is horrible.
PSV is even worse.

I keep thinking of this when I read the topic:
bournvita.jpg

Still, we'll all get used to the name and move on when the attention gets to be refocused on actual games.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Acrylic7 said:

I just don't get it.
Outside of Japan, PSP has not been a success in recent years. The public has not been clamouring for a sequel.

Plinko said:
I think it would be interesting to know if I'm the best PaRappa player in the county, or see that there's a thriving local scene of Wipeout players or whatever.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
patsu said:
You mean Wii ? It doesn't matter. I have no idea why PSVita or PSV is bad.

No, there's a "Vii"--it was a Chinese ripoff of the Wii.

Edit: Beaten.

patsu

Ah, should not be a problem. You have to say the entire thing, Playstation/PS V. If the press nickname it, there is nothing Vii can do. No worries about Veeta, Vaita, Vitamin, blah

[show cheesy victory sign] Yay.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Plinko said:

I think videogames, at the moment, make people compete globally or against a friendslist of people.

In the former case it's like throwing people into the olympics, and is meangingless for most people. I know I don't care where I rank globally in games, and most people out of the top 100 - or whatever - in these games don't care either.

In the latter case it assumes people have a friendslist, and for it to be reasonably meaningful, that it is of people who they somewhat know. Having a substantial friendslist at all is a barrier for some people, having one of personally known people is a barrier for many.

Every other pasttime, people don't compete globally. When people want to play tennis, they go play in a local club. It gives more people a chance of more satisfaction, and the thrill of winning, competing in smaller circles of people who are joined by place. People don't go out and play against the world.

So yeah, IMO there is a middleground between local multiplayer and the global free-for-all of internet play that's pretty much unexplored right now, and could offer a new perspective on multiplayer and VG communities.

(Starbucks is an example, but if that doesn't resonate for you, I mean any place of sufficient meaning - your office block, your street, your university, your zipcode, whatever. In other real life activities people gravitate toward local groupings based on place, I think it's a natural inclination with a lot of advantages for competitive activity of any kind.)

onQ123

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
So we have already:

Video, Interactive , Touch , Audio

Visual , Intelligent , Touchable, Active

Video game , Internet browser, touch screen , audio player

Plinko

gofreak said:
I think videogames, at the moment, make people compete globally or against a friendslist of people.

In the former case it's like throwing people into the olympics, and is meangingless for most people. I know I don't care where I rank globally in games, and most people out of the top 100 - or whatever - in these games don't care either.

In the latter case it assumes people have a friendslist, and for it to be reasonably meaningful, that it is of people who they somewhat know. Having a substantial friendslist at all is a barrier for some people, having one of personally known people is a barrier for many.

Every other past time, people don't compete globally. When people want to play tennis, they go play in a local club. It gives more people a chance of more satisfaction, and the thrill of winning, competing in smaller circles of people who are joined by place. People don't go out and play against the world.

So yeah, IMO there is a middleground between local multiplayer and the global free-for-all of internet play that's pretty much unexplored right now, and could offer a new perspective on multiplayer and VG communities.

(Starbucks is an example, but if that doesn't resonate for you, I mean any place of sufficient meaning - your office block, your street, your university, your zipcode, whatever. In other real life activities people gravitate toward local groupings based on place, I think it's a natural inclination with a lot of advantages for competitive activity of any kind.)

As I said before, I think it's a decent idea personally but I guess I don't see it having massive appeal.

It really reminds me of pinball/arcade machine high score screens if it's tied to location.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
scitek said:
It's pronounced with a long i, like vitamin, I presume. Dunno why people are thinking veeta.
When I first looked at the word I heard it in my mind as 'veeta'. I'm not alone in this.
It's a Latin word, and in Italian and Latin it's pronounced 'veeta'.
All over Europe, it's pronounced 'veeta'.
In Japan, the 'vaita' pronunciation could lead to a branding problem, as 'baita' is the word for whore.
So chances are, it's 'veeta'.

patsu

Krev said:
When I first looked at the word I heard it in my mind as 'veeta'. I'm not alone in this.
It's a Latin word, and in Italian and Latin it's pronounced 'veeta'.
All over Europe, it's pronounced 'veeta'.
In Japan, the 'vaita' pronunciation could lead to a branding problem, as 'baita' is the word for whore.
So chances are, it's 'veeta'.

Now I want to see a PS Baita.

onQ123

Acrylic7 said:

I just don't get it.

because if it was called the PSP2 people would just see it as a more powerful PSP.

GameBoy advance was a more powerful Gameboy

DS was something new so it got a new name

DSi = DS with a camera

3DS is the successor to the DS but most people think it's just a DS with 3D.

NGP/Vita is a more powerful PSP with more ways to interact with it making it far from being just a more powerful PSP.

Shai-Tan

Banned
patsu said:
Depends on who you are and how they package it. It can be school-wide, city-wide, state-wide. The reason I bring up PS Home is because the concept doesn't need to be locked down to geography too. Should be able to set up a GAF-wide competition too.

The groups on Steam are nice even if they are a bit of a mess. Making some automatic location based groups or location aware in general would be interesting although I don't know how that would be utilized in game. Sony will likely wait to see what happens in the smartphone arena then copy it years later (or ignore it) :/

Apath

Vita sounds pretty terrible to me, but then again I thought Wii sounded terrible too at first. On the flip side I thought PSP 'Go' sounded awful, and still do.

Utako

Banned
PSP owners are generally the 18-40 male crowd.

Do they really want a handheld with a name that sounds like a latin diva?

"Vita! Live in concert at Fresco Hall!"

Yeah...

Top Bottom