• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita Found On Sony's E3 Site, Now Removed

gogojira

Most console and handheld names are terrible at first before inevitably becoming just another name in the mix. Honesty, I don't care what it's called.

onQ123

Utako said:
PSP owners are generally the 18-40 male crowd.

Do they really want a handheld with a name that sounds like a latin diva?

"Vita! Live in concert at Fresco Hall!"

Yeah...

I see 5 year olds walking around with PSP's watching movies so I call BS on your statistics

Acrylic7 said:
I still don't understand why they needed come up with a new name.

Is there something wrong with "PSP2?
I just don't get it.
Because that sounds a lot like "PS2", which is more like what the PSP was. It's also lesser sounding than the "3DS", because 2 < 3 (this is why Microsoft called their system XBox 360 rather than XBox 2).

I'm still betting the new PSP will be called the PS3P, and Vita was just the code name during development.

Utako said:
PSP owners are generally the 18-40 male crowd.

Do they really want a handheld with a name that sounds like a latin diva?

"Vita! Live in concert at Fresco Hall!"

Yeah...

Not so much. That crowd graduated from PSP to the iPad/iPhone.

In all seriousness, PSPs demographic in 2005 might have been that age group...not so much anymore.

?

2n6i721.jpg
(-_-)

CosmicGroinPull said:

I can see the TV ad already. A bunch of lovely models, in locales all over the globe making the V sign in Zach Snyderesque slow-mo.

End with a PS Vita title card and the 'Playstation' noise.

Brilliant.

=HERO=

Neo Member
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
So we have already:
- Vita because it means life in Latin and they are giving their handheld a new life
- Vita because it means life in Latin and they want to integrate it with your real life
- Vita because PSV taking V as a roman numeral would be PS5 and its the 5th PS system
- Vita because PSV taking V as a roman numeral would be PS5 and it the following number to PSP-1000, PSP-2000, PSP-3000, PSP Go (4 in Japanese)
- Vita because its pronounced as greek letter Beta, 2nd in the alphabet, for their 2nd handheld

Sheesh, now wouldn't it be fun if they come on-stage and say 'its vita for "very interesting thing alright?"' and promptly leave stage with a troll expression.

Not to be anal, but GO is FIVE, not four, in Japanese.

Tobor

gofreak said:
I think videogames, at the moment, make people compete globally or against a friendslist of people.

In the former case it's like throwing people into the olympics, and is meangingless for most people. I know I don't care where I rank globally in games, and most people out of the top 100 - or whatever - in these games don't care either.

In the latter case it assumes people have a friendslist, and for it to be reasonably meaningful, that it is of people who they somewhat know. Having a substantial friendslist at all is a barrier for some people, having one of personally known people is a barrier for many.

Every other pasttime, people don't compete globally. When people want to play tennis, they go play in a local club. It gives more people a chance of more satisfaction, and the thrill of winning, competing in smaller circles of people who are joined by place. People don't go out and play against the world.

So yeah, IMO there is a middleground between local multiplayer and the global free-for-all of internet play that's pretty much unexplored right now, and could offer a new perspective on multiplayer and VG communities.

(Starbucks is an example, but if that doesn't resonate for you, I mean any place of sufficient meaning - your office block, your street, your university, your zipcode, whatever. In other real life activities people gravitate toward local groupings based on place, I think it's a natural inclination with a lot of advantages for competitive activity of any kind.)

There are already iOS games that have done this. It's cool, but a gimmick, and not a huge game changer.

Competing against a friendslist is far more important.

=HERO= said:
Not to be anal, but GO is FIVE, not four, in Japanese.
Not anal, but damn, it breaks the pattern, that's not nice dude (yeah, fail on my part). Maybe they are trying to toy with japanese people memories of the PSP Go, but they don't have any to begin with...so the list gets reduced from five to four points, damn coincidences.

Dwayne

gofreak said:
[Nintex] said:
:O

I only checked that yesterday and it didn't work!

Anyways, totally confirmed now.

Confirmed! It's the codename developers have been using! I'm still not a believer, obviously. Even with the pictures, besides the chance they might have leaked from E3, it seems more likely they came from a publisher/developer presentation that Sony has given.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Tobor said:
There are already iOS games that have done this. It's cool, but a gimmick, and not a huge game changer.

Competing against a friendslist is far more important.

It depends on your friendslist, IMO. Not to mention, building a friendslist is more or less difficult depending on the player. I know a couple of people with PS3s and I'm pretty much the only person on their friendslist. They don't go around asking their colleagues for PSN ids and they don't go out onto messageboards looking for them.

If on portables you can introduce new means of association that are more automatic and implicit in the places you frequent or whatever, then that could make things a lot more accessible for some people, while also giving online interaction and community a different flavour to what you get on home platforms. Sony should be looking for differentiators vs their home platform. I think the power of it would be amplified too if it worked across games and was sewn into the OS, but that might be asking a bit much...

Dwayne said:
Confirmed! It's the codename developers have been using! I'm still not a believer, obviously. Even with the pictures, besides the chance they might have leaked from E3, it seems more likely they came from a publisher/developer presentation that Sony has given.

Could still all be references to a codename, sure. I remember when we were all convinced Move would be called 'Arc' :)

SamBishop

Banned
I'm actually surprised it took this long for so many people to start chiming in. For all the love GAF has for proclaiming they birthed a lot of this stuff, in this case, you would have been kind of right. Maybe next time I'll try being less subtle:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25425039&postcount=1359
Very likely, this is something that will surprise most. For good or ill, Sony is absolutely committed to trying to form a new standard they can have a part in. CD, DVD, Blu-ray. They're partners, and really none of their own formats have been accepted, and I wonder if that's something they've realized. But I doubt it.

I honestly wish I had the full breadth of understanding that came with the Sony engineers in the wake of Kutaragi's departure. There are likely countless EE understudies that know what he was pushing for, but the full depth of what he may or may not have imparted is yet to be discovered.

They must, honestly, be trying to live up to Krazy Ken's standards, though, and that's a hard cross to carry. really. I don't envy that kind of burden, and it's really something I've thought about often when trying to contemplate what Sony is up to. Sometimes it's fun to be privy to that info, but often it's... well, mysterious, even if you do know.

All I'm really saying is that this has to be a definitive game-changer for Sony. They're on their back foot and have to touch something in the public consciousness that says they're pushing forward, that they're embracing the HD resolution and running with it. I'm hopeful. And I'm guessing I'm on the right track to figuring out what they're up to. But I'll have to wait for that.

I'm glad other people had heard the name before/were aware of it being named Vita internally or in discussions with partners. I'd honestly thought it was a codename though. Really surprised it appears to be the name of the device. It didn't strike me as something Sony would go for.

Had anyone else heard of it being called Vita before it was even known as NGP?

We all had, hadn't we?

Tobor

gofreak said:
It depends on your friendslist, IMO. Not to mention, building a friendslist is more or less difficult depending on the player. I know a couple of people with PS3s and I'm pretty much the only person on their friendslist. They don't go around asking their colleagues for PSN ids and they don't go out onto messageboards looking for them.

If on portables you can introduce new means of association that are more automatic and implicit in the places you frequent or whatever, then that could make things a lot more accessible for some people, while also giving online interaction and community a different flavour to what you get on home platforms. Sony should be looking for differentiators vs their home platform. I think the power of it would be amplified too if it worked across games and was sewn into the OS, but that might be asking a bit much...

I think they'd be better served integrating Facebook support. This machine is going to be too niche in the west for scores relative to say, a Starbucks. What I've seen mobile developers do that works is institute a third tier of scores, "local", and show high scores/achievements in your "area". "What are the scores in my town?", for example.

Like I said though, coming from mobile, this sort of stuff is old hat. Maybe tying it to an over-arching account will make it more exciting?

Galvanise_ said:
I'm glad other people had heard the name before/were aware of it being named Vita internally or in discussions with partners. I'd honestly thought it was a codename though. Really surprised it appears to be the name of the device. It didn't strike me as something Sony would go for.

Had anyone else heard of it being called Vita before it was even known as NGP?

We all had, hadn't we?

I've talked to several developer sources, all of whom asked to remain anonymous, as E3 is so close. But each confirmed Vita was definitely the codename for the project when Sony was first showing the hardware to developers.

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/what-...rd-about-the-very-real-playstation-vita/3275/

SamBishop

Banned
Dwayne said:
Charming, except VITA is mentioned in the OP of that thread.

The twist has a twist! I honestly wish I'd seen that. I guess I just wanted to bury it in the middle of NGP conversation and if I remember right, there were multiple threads going on at the same time and I had the best hopes of sort of burying it for a few months there.

Oh well.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Tobor said:
I think they'd be better served integrating Facebook support. This machine is going to be too niche in the west for scores relative to say, a Starbucks. What I've seen mobile developerrs do that works is institute a third tier of scores, "local", and show high scores/achievements in your "area". "What are the scores in my town?", for example.

Like I said though, coming from mobile, this sort of stuff is old hat. Maybe tying it to an over-arching account will make it more exciting?

'Old' or no, I think it's worth exploring more, and adopting and expanding where possible on dedicated systems. Facebook integration is a good idea to help people build their friendslist, but doesn't help if none or few of your friends have one. As I mentioned earlier, though, different resolutions can indeed be used if density isn't there...but that's where a cross-game/os solution might also help vs one that is specific to a single game.

SamBishop said:
I'm actually surprised it took this long for so many people to start chiming in. For all the love GAF has for proclaiming they birthed a lot of this stuff, in this case, you would have been kind of right. Maybe next time I'll try being less subtle:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25425039&postcount=1359
Cafe to be called Praa, confirmed. And it fits with Wii's double vowels.

I'll be waiting for the royalties.

Tobor

gofreak said:
'Old' or no, I think it's worth exploring more, and adopting and expanding where possible on dedicated systems. Facebook integration is a good idea to help people build their friendslist, but doesn't help if none or few of your friends have one. As I mentioned earlier, though, different resolutions can indeed be used if density isn't there...but that's where a cross-game/os solution might also help vs one that is specific to a single game.

Sure, I'm not saying they shouldn't do it. As long as they're careful with the location data they'll be collecting. :p

Kunan

All I can think of is the old Velveeta commercials where they make queso in the microwave. Maybe it will work if they don't make it such a harsh ee sound.

Dreohboy

Has this been proven?

I call BS.

Even though Sony can make some brain dead hardware decisions, ain't no way in hell they are calling their handheld "VITA"

What's the acronym stand for?

"Very Ignorant Technical ...."

Seriously, no fucking way.

Takao

Banned
I'd be willing to say Novarama is behind Reality Fighters for the NGP. That "K.O" font is identical to the font they used in their PSP augmented reality games (Invizimals, and Invizimals: Shadow Zone).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Dreohboy said:
Has this been proven?

I call BS.

Even though Sony can make some brain dead hardware decisions, ain't no way in hell they are calling their console "VITA"

What's the acronym stand for?

"Very Ignorant Technical ...."

Seriously, no fucking way.

I have a feeling you're going to be disappointed.

Top Bottom