• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita Found On Sony's E3 Site, Now Removed

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
You'd think that now we know the name it would be like pulling a thread - with a whole load of other stuff unraveling early via detective work etc. But nothing :( I guess there's plenty of time for more to emerge this week though...

V_Ben

Banned
gofreak said:
You'd think that now we know the name it would be like pulling a thread - with a whole load of other stuff unraveling early via detective work etc. But nothing :( I guess there's plenty of time for more to emerge this week though...

Well, we're getting more details on Uncharted NGP this week, so we're bound to see something this week :p

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
gofreak said:
With the name all but confirmed now, I hope Sony follow Nintendo's suit and officially reveals the name through a press release before the conference, just to get it out of the way.

onQ123

French said:
Cool name but it doesn't sounds like a console name.

Who cares anyway.

that might be the point.

if you had a device that does all these different tasks would you want people to see it as just a video game console?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
French said:
Cool name but it doesn't sounds like a console name.

Who cares anyway.
I'm guessing that's the point.

EDIT: Damn, beaten by seconds.
Busty said:
I actually thought that Sony would go with something non sensical like PSP-HD but PSP Vita sounds okay to me. In fact if you look at the potential portfolio of Playstation products Sony are offering it actually makes sense.

It might actually just show what Sony is thinking regarding naming future consoles ie no number 4 on the next PS home console?
B...but the PS9! :(

Hopefully they go back to numbered consoles by 2078.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
gofreak said:
Well, we know a lot of Sony's titles already, and almost no one wants to leak their own games, so we're unlikely to hear anything until GTTV's preview and E3 at this point.

It sounds like bottled water, but it's not the worst name. I also think the name would be a hit in Europe and Japan for some unexplainable reason.

BadWolf

If true then I don't mind it, beats PSP2 by a mile for me.

With this new name and the new UI (love it or hate it it looks completely different from the original) there will definitely be far less of a chance of ppl mistaking it for a revision of the psp ala DS and 3DS (eventhough the system design itself is quite similar).

Really can't wait for this little beast to launch, been a while since I've had such high hopes for a system.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The name doesnt suite a main Sony gaming plattform, imo. If it was a add-on or some weird 3rd pillar nintendo console.... but for a psp2/ngp ? hmmm....

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I guess I'm so used to Sony's often predictable naming conventions for its gaming systems that any name other than PSP2 would surprise me.

Ashler

Quite honestly at this point I would prefer they just kept the NGP name. We've all gotten used to it and it sounds a heck lot better than 'Vita'.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
cw_sasuke said:
The name doesnt suite a main Sony gaming plattform, imo. If it was a add-on or some weird 3rd pillar nintendo console.... but for a psp2/ngp ? hmmm....
Sony aren't the world conquerers they used to be. I think branching out and trying to appeal to people that aren't Playstation fans is a good strategy.

Also, 3rd pillar consoles don't really exist.

Ashler said:
Quite honestly at this point I would prefer they just kept the NGP name. We've all gotten used to it and it sounds a heck lot better than 'Vita'.
No it doesn't. It sounds like a bunch of letters. It's impersonal. It doesn't suggest anything, except maybe 'high tech device'.
Vita is a much better name for the mass market.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So it's "PS Vita"? I have to admit, Vita is a really nice sounding thing, depending on how you say it. But is it the name for a console?

I guess I don't give a shit! GIMME VITA

Ashler

Krev said:
No it doesn't. It sounds like a bunch of letters. It's impersonal. It doesn't suggest anything, except maybe 'high tech device'.
Vita is a much better name for the mass market.

Right... just like the NES? :)

Xater

Y2Kev said:
So it's "PS Vita"? I have to admit, Vita is a really nice sounding thing, depending on how you say it. But is it the name for a console?

I guess I don't give a shit! GIMME VITA

I really don't like the name for a console/handheld. I am curious what their marketing spin will be with this name...

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Ashler said:
Right... just like the NES? :)
That's what we call it now. Back then it was the Nintendo Entertainment System. And Famicon (Family Computer) in Japan.
The name differentiated it from cold sounding pre-video game crash devices like the Atari 2600.

V_Ben

Banned
Xater said:
I really don't like the name for a console/handheld. I am curious what their marketing spin will be with this name...

A handheld that fits your lifestyle, whatever that may be. Big games, small games, touchscreen games, it's your handheld. Your life. Your Vita.

Huh, i'm probably right.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I have a feeling this is going to result in advertising that is going to infuriate GAF.

Dambrosi

Banned
PS Vita? Sounds like a generic skin care product you'd see on infomercials.

"That's right! You get a year's supply of PS Vita PLUS! This professional quality Vegetable Slicer-Dicer as seen on Giant Bomb's Happy Hour PLUS! This antique set of olde-style balance and measuring weights PLUS! A set of five-star hotel quality bath towels PLUS! A six-month no-wrinkles guarantee ABSOLUTELY FREE!! For the LOW LOW price of just
FIVE HUNDRED AND NINETY NINE US DOLLARS!!!!11!!1
"

Still, if Wii worked...

Xater

V_Ben said:
A handheld that fits your lifestyle, whatever that may be. Big games, small games, touchscreen games, it's your handheld. Your life. Your Vita.

Huh, i'm probably right.

Oh dear god. This direction will probably have some cringe worthy commercials.

Also isn't "Vita" kind of problematic in the japanese market? If they try to pronounce it like in vitality it sounds like the japanese word for "whore".

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Plinko said:
I have a feeling this is going to result in advertising that is going to infuriate GAF.

Most definitely.

If they are going to try and push it as a lifestyle device, comparable to the original multimedia push with the PSP, that is just doomed to failure again. Vita suggests that they are, as well as give it a more premium sounding branding (price worries ahoy!).

Against tablets and smartphones you really aren't going to be able to sell a device with analog sticks and buttons coming out of its arse as a lifestyle device.

wsippel

Banned
Xater said:
Also isn't "Vita" kind of problematic in the japanese market? If they try to pronounce it like in vitality it sounds like the japanese word for "whore".
Well, you pay for having fun, right?

Y2Kev

Xater said:
It's obvious. Vita is a part of your life. It fits in seamlessly to your existing meaningless existence.

Regarding Baita: sounds like what people said. "OMG, in english, Wii is URINE"

Salsa

sounds like a skin product

or some sugar-free thing

or something with this kind of advertisement:

woman_field-care2resize.jpg

Ashler

Krev said:
That's what we call it now. Back then it was the Nintendo Entertainment System. And Famicon (Family Computer) in Japan.
The name differentiated it from cold sounding pre-video game crash devices like the Atari 2600.

No argument there.

However, just as NES stands for "Nintendo Entertainment System", so does the NGP for "New Generation Portable". My point was that the naming is not just a bunch of letters as you allude to in your previous post.

Heck, It's not even that different to the current PSP naming sony's got going (PlayStation Portable).

IMO calling it the Playstation NGP sounds a lot better than Playstation Vita, but then again, I never liked the "Wii" naming and that was very successful.

Its all relative I guess.

daffy

Banned
Xater said:
Why would they do that

Xater

Y2Kev said:
It's obvious. Vita is a part of your life. It fits in seamlessly to your existing meaningless existence.

Regarding Baita: sounds like what people said. "OMG, in english, Wii is URINE"

True, but I still hate the Wii name so what do I know.

Y2Kev

SalsaShark said:
sounds like a skin product

or some sugar-free thing

or something with this kind of advertisement:

woman_field-care2resize.jpg

it fits in great with this!

lisa-kudrow-and-niece.jpg

sony is stealing from nintendo again!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
V_Ben said:
A handheld that fits your lifestyle, whatever that may be. Big games, smal games, touchscreen games, it's your handheld. Your life. Your Vita.

Huh, i'm probably right.

If PS3 is a static device that is 'hidden' in the home, I guess the theme for this is a personal device that you engage with more generally in your real life. You could see those themes already in the Jan presentation, you can see how they've embedded functionality to make it more personally/locally aware of you and your surroundings, to encourage engagement when you're out and about. Maybe that's the motivation for the 'life' angle on it.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Xater said:
Japanese people aren't going to look at the title and assume it's 'Vi-ta'. That seems to be an American thing.
I'd say it will be pronounced 'Veeta', since it's better for the Japanese market, and it's what all of Europe will hear when they look at the name.

Ashler said:
No argument there.

However, just as NES stands for "Nintendo Entertainment System", so does the NGP for "New Generation Portable". My point was that the naming is not just a bunch of letters as you allude to in your previous post.
But they actually sold it as the "Nintendo Entertainment System", not the NES.
It doesn't matter what NGP stands for if they actually sold it as "NGP". And "Next Generation Portable" is not a very compelling product name.
Ashler said:
Heck, It's not even that different to the current PSP naming sony's got going (PlayStation Portable).
Which is why they don't want to do it, I'd say, since PSP didn't light the market on fire outside of Japan.

I'll admit that its title being a bunch of letters didn't appear to hurt the Nintendo DS (and DSi, and DSiXL...), but there are exceptions to every rule, and the competing PSP had worse marketing. Sony really want to turn around their fortunes with this device, which is why I think they're taking a chance and redefining themselves for the mass market.

GeoramA

So after a couple of days, Vita's grown on me a little. I'll probably embrace it 100% when Sony explains what it stands for.

Carl

V_Ben said:

Huh, i'm probably right.

I look forward to seeing SCEE's take on advertising for it.

PJV3

Beta=Vita=2nd. It's like cracking the enigma code. Luckily i have 40 PS3's crunching the numbers.

Y2Kev

They should call it PlayStation Family. Think of how annoyed all the fantards would be come NPD time!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
For some reason, when I hear Vita, I tend to associate it with diet, slimming, and becoming sexy.

Top Bottom