• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita Found On Sony's E3 Site, Now Removed

Einbroch

Banned
jett said:
I like Sony Vita better too. It could be a tougher sell without the Playstation name, but they might as well just nix it and let it stand on its own.
Just say "The next Playstation Portable is here...meet (pause) the Sony Vita".

Throw the Playstation name out there every chance you but don't include it in the title. I think it would suffice.

JackFrost said:
Like I said maybe its different actually holding it...but from all the pics IMO it looks bulky and like crap (thats not even getting into the UI, which reminded me of keychain ball compasses the way they kinda roll).

From the pictures as far as looks go the 3DS seems sexier....I seem to be in the minority here and thats OK....not all things for all people I guess.

I hope im wrong....I have a preorder in already just as a placeholder for if I agreed with price, but my PSP analog on the way out so it seems its going to be a def day1 purchase now.
I see what you mean about the cheap look (the childish UI and glossy finish don't help), but from all hands-on reports, the device is sexy as hell. What those pictures don't show is how thin it is. Yum.

antonz

I can see it now. Go to best buy.

Customer: Id like to buy a PSV.
Clerk:Sure we have PSPs right over here.
Customer: No I said PSV.
Clerk: Yeah we got the PSP right over here.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
antonz said:

Pfft, that wouldn't happen.

All clerks know that no one buys PSP's anymore.

Carl

antonz said:

When did P and V start sounding alike?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm having flashbacks of the Wii announcement. Just sayin'

Takao said:
I can't see Sony dropping the PlayStation name.
If anything, they need to do it. "PlayStation" isn't a strong brand these days. You have piracy and PSN failure attached to the name. Not to mention, their systems haven't been exactly on top.

pseudocaesar said:
Brand loyalty is what got them through the first few years of PS3 hell.

The success of Gameboy -> DS shows us that brand name isn't really important. If it was, then the Playstation 3 would have won this generation as per its predecessor.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Carl said:
When did P and V start sounding alike?
when i took a vee before

Mama Robotnik said:
The success of Gameboy -> DS shows us that brand name isn't really important. If it was, then the Playstation 3 would have won this generation as per its predecessor.

of course it is important! especially early! but i know you can debate the degree of importance. there are many variables here. it's not going to guarantee success (so i wouldn't just cast it out in explaining the ps3's decline vs. ps2), of course.

is the brand "gameboy" or "nintendo"?

From N4g
BattleAxe said:
They could just call it the PSV, because this is actually the 5th(V) model for the PSP.

PSP 1000
PSP 2000
PSP 3000
PSP GO
PSV.

That makes sense. PSV (But then it can be confused for being PlayStation 5, which is still a long way off). But whats with Pachter and all of you calling this name dumb. the Wii was the most uncreative name for a system, yet people warmed up to it. Within months this will all blow past.

Takao

Banned
If anything PSV sounds like an STD.

"Penis Scaring Virus" or something.

Wolf Akela said:
If anything, they need to do it. "PlayStation" isn't a strong brand these days. You have piracy and PSN failure attached to the name. Not to mention, their systems haven't been exactly on top.

They still use Walkman branding for MP3 players, and cellphones. I doubt they'll toss away PlayStation because it's having a hard time.

Why can't they just all it PlayStation Portable. Just total reboot. Silly Sony. Now Anonymous will hack them into oblivion, again.

Takao

Banned
foodtaster said:
Why can't they just all it PlayStation Portable. Just total reboot. Silly Sony. Now Anonymous will hack them into oblivion, again.

Because calling it PSP will make people think it's the exact same platform as the one released in 2004/2005 as the design isn't hugely different. Also, the PSP isn't that respected in the west, so it may be best to simply forget about for the successor.

odhiex

Oh man ... the name getting weirder ...
you know with mother tongue language, Vita is a Girl's name... :(

I wonder, will my Girlfriend get mad if I spend too much time with Vita instead of her?? huh...

Gravijah

jett said:
WTF? The NGP/Vita is slick as fuck. If you want ugliness take a look at any other gaming portable.

NGP is indeed sexy as fuck, but I love the PSP 1000/2000, too. Not a fan of the Go.

Y2Kev said:
of course it is important. you can debate the degree of importance. there are many variables here.

is the brand "gameboy" or "nintendo"?

I was offering "Gameboy" as the brand name, as it was consistently part of Nintendo's handheld product naming throughout the pre-DS era. "Gameboy Advance", "Gameboy Advance SP", etc, didn't seem to be preceeded with the word "Nintendo" in verbal and written description.

The point I was trying to make is that Nintendo chose to abadon this succesful, established and well-known brand name to emphasise the "new" of the DS and it was a wild success. I think it evidences that the importance of brand name is often exaggerated.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty indifferent over Vita. Not terrible, but not exactly a good fit, either.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
GTP_Daverytimes said:
From N4g

That makes sense. PSV (But then it can be confused for being PlayStation 5, which is still a long way off). But whats with Pachter and all of you calling this name dumb. the Wii was the most uncreative name for a system, yet people warmed up to it. Within months this will all blow past.
What a ridiculous thing to say.

Gravijah

Takao said:
PSP Goku is best name.

I want a Super Saiyan yellow NGP.

Dedication Through Light said:
Sony Vita is the worst especially considering its supposed to tie into the Playstation Network, Playstation Store, etc.

Yeah, it definitely doesn't fit amongst things like Qore & Qriocity.

Vamphuntr

I think the idea to simply name it the Sony Vita is great. I think it sounds way less awkward than Playstation Vita.

This is a bit OT but what is going with posts saying "this is the worse post I've seen" or "this is the most ridiculous stuff I've ever read". It seems you get that kind of post in many threads now. Is this a new meme or is GAF is in full exaggeration mode because E3 is coming up?

Gravijah

Vamphuntr said:
I think the idea to simply name it the Sony Vita is great. I think it sounds way less awkward than Playstation Vita.

This is a bit OT but what is going with posts saying "this is the worse post I've seen" or "this is the most ridiculous stuff I've ever read". It seems you get that kind of post in many threads now. Is this a new meme or is GAF is in full exaggeration mode because E3 is coming up?

Hyperbole is a part of a healthy Vita diet.

apana

Amir0x said:
boy I never thought I'd get so hyped. Nintendo is totally returning to me :D

To see a new Zelda AND a new Pikmin at the conferences...

...god gaming is awesome

What the hell are you talking about? Which Zelda game?

Vita's alright, whether just Sony Vita or Sony Playstation Vita. Not the most immediately catchy name but nothing out of the ordinary for gaming consoles, or electronic products in general. People blowing things way out of proportion.

After the Wii became 'normal' and unremarkable it'd take a lot for a console name to be irredeemable.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Dedication Through Light said:
Sony Vita is the worst especially considering its supposed to tie into the Playstation Network, Playstation Store, etc.
Such popular brands these days!

Well didn't we hear there motion controller was called Gem or Arc up until they finally called it the Playstation Move at GDC?

even 3rd parties where calling the controller the Gem in interviewers and stuff.

Just because the name is out there doesn't mean its THE name.

PSV-Eindhoven-icon.png

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
funkystudent said:
Well didn't we hear there motion controller was called Gem or Arc up until they finally called it the Playstation Move at GDC?

even 3rd parties where calling the controller the Gem in interviewers and stuff.

Just because the name is out there doesn't mean its THE name.

Seems a little late for that. Sony already gave the system its codename: NGP.

Top Bottom