• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita Found On Sony's E3 Site, Now Removed

daffy

Banned
Zoe said:
The latter sounds incomplete to me.
Hey Zoe (and others)! Sorry to continue on, but I figured it out now! I just hate when I don't understand things like this (language-wise) so it bothers me, but perhaps you can bare with me!

Native English speakers have actually never used the word Vita, in any context, similar to a Canadian and the word koubako or something. It just isn't ever used! So that is why, unlike vital or vista, most people can't recognize the word Vita as well as Dream and cast! Yes?

I learn more each day, but I make more mistakes as well. c'est la vie!!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Zoibie said:
Hmm... that raises another point. E3 judges week was last week, so presumably the editors that went there know what the official branding on the NGP is. How exactly do NDAs work? I know the editors can't say what the name of the device is, but can they say what the name of the device isn't?

Not sure it's a given that the branding would have been disclosed to them depending what lengths Sony would go to to keep it secret...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Bad_Boy said:
just curious...

do you think 350 is too much to be successful?

or do you think the PSV doesnt have a value of 350.

or both?

Too expensive to be successful.

Amir0x

Banned
boy I never thought I'd get so hyped. Nintendo is totally returning to me :D

To see a new Zelda AND a new Pikmin at the conferences...

...god gaming is awesome

spats

Amir0x said:

...god gaming is awesome

You monster.

rpmurphy

Plinko said:
Too expensive to be successful.
Yeah. Sony better not be thinking that they have that much pricing room just because Nintendo priced their handheld at $250. I personally wanted a $199/$250 generation, but okay. :(

swerve

gofreak said:
Jim Reilly of IGN thinks Vita was the codename for NGP previously too - but wasn't it Veta?

No. Some people can't spell what they hear.

It's quite possible that NGP both pre- *and* post- dates Vita as a name. The codename could have always been NGP, the planned name could have always been Vita, but perhaps they were not 100% with marketing/branding for it with the January reveal, so the codename went out (just as with Revolution)

FTH said:
Hey Zoe (and others)! Sorry to continue on, but I figured it out now! I just hate when I don't understand things like this (language-wise) so it bothers me, but perhaps you can bare with me!

Native English speakers have actually never used the word Vita, in any context
La Dolce Vita.

Amir0x said:

...god gaming is awesome
confused.gif

daffy

Banned
edit: Actually nvm, it is a product name and product names usually need to become accustomed to. Regardless of origin or pronunciation.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
swerve said:
No. Some people can't spell what they hear.

That could explain it.

Still, the apparent 'literature' leak is fairly convincing, the domain names another interesting bit. But I guess we'll see, something tells me we'll have more fuel for this one way or the other this week.

swerve

FTH said:
I assumed Vita was a word English speakers used more frequently or understood it.

Its meaning/inference is understood from words such as vitality and vitamin of course, but standalone it is not part of standard English, I believe.

In this regard, Sony can take some ownership of it, but won't be able to redefine it. It will always mean 'life'.

Zoibie

gofreak said:
Not sure it's a given that the branding would have been disclosed to them depending what lengths Sony would go to to keep it secret...

Surely the NGPs that were there would be the same NGPs that were going to E3.

onQ123

FTH said:
That is an old French film no? Other than that Americans have never used it?

So the title had as much familiarity to the American moviegoer as this PSP Vita has to American videogamers now? What are you trying to tell me hmmm?!

I assumed Vita was a word English speakers used more frequently or understood it.

Vita Vita Vita

I knew how it was pronounced because there was a female Rapper named Vita

FTH said:
edit: Actually nvm, it is a product name and product names usually need to become accustomed to. Regardless of origin or pronunciation.
Yeah I see where you were coming from. I think this is the expected reaction to any new branding around here.

daffy

Banned
I see, thanks so much for the responses y'all. Not a familiar or common word similar to most brand names, but still very able to be pronounced and understood after you see and hear it a few times.

Ryuuga

Banned
Remove the 'Playstation' branding and call it 'Vitamin P'. Then again they could keep the brand and call it 'Playstation Panacea' or 'Pocket Ambrosia'.

Amir0x said:

...god gaming is awesome
I think we just git Amir0x'ed

Takao

Banned
FTH said:
This guy is nuts. Far from the dumbest name.

Pachter thinks the NGP will launch for $400 for the standard model, and calls PlayStation Move his Wii HD after years of saying the later exists. Him saying crazy shit is not new.

Agent X

FTH said:

Native English speakers have actually never used the word Vita, in any context, similar to a Canadian and the word koubako or something. It just isn't ever used! So that is why, unlike vital or vista, most people can't recognize the word Vita as well as Dream and cast! Yes?

I learn more each day, but I make more mistakes as well. c'est la vie!!

At least one American has used the word "vita" somewhere before.

guina

Vita huh, i think i can live with that =p

I dont see a problem with the pronunciation, everyone will call it Pee Ass Vee, if you add -ta there you have PSVita.

Massa

Takao said:
Pachter thinks the NGP will launch for $400 for the standard model, and calls PlayStation Move his Wii HD after years of saying the later exists. Him saying crazy shit is not new.

He thinks there'll be a $400 model, and I bet his right.

Massa said:
He thinks there'll be a $400 model, and I bet his right.

Sony will not be stupid enough to launch the NG....oh wait psVita for $400, the most is $349.99 (for the 3G version) and $299 for the Wifi version.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
GTP_Daverytimes said:
Sony will not be stupid enough to launch the NG....oh wait psVita for $400, the most is $349.99 (for the 3G version) and $299 for the Wifi version.
i hope to god-man ken kutaragi himself that you're right.

watershed

Banned
I think the NGP or Vita as its now called is sexy as hell to look at but Vita just doesn't sound right. For all the reasons already discussed in this thread and for the fact that the NGP is a huge, monster of a handheld with dual analogs, the name Vita just seems to clash. Also it doesn't tell me anything about the system the way PSP or play station portable did. I'm really curious to see the advertising on this. Vita, besides being the name of a million soft drinks, sounds like a name for some kind of lifestyle electronic device, like a kindle or nook or something. Its hard for me to imagine the NGP being presented in that way.

Ugly look, ugly name. When I first saw the NGP, my impression was that it wouldn't look out of place in an ashens video, since it looks like a cheap Chinese knockoff.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
At first glance it sounds like a stupid name but everyone went nuts when Nintendo announced the Wii and that has become a household name. Vita can as well.

Wolf Akela said:
Ugly look, ugly name. When I first saw the NGP, my impression was that it wouldn't look out of place in an ashens video, since it looks like a cheap Chinese knockoff.
I agree...I think the look is ASS. Hopefully it looks better actually holding it.

That tweet refers to it as Sony Vita. That sounds a lot better than Playstation Vita, but would be a marketing nightmare. People would think it's a SE phone or something without explicit Playstation branding.

jett said:
WTF? The NGP/Vita is slick as fuck. If you want ugliness take a look at any other gaming portable.

Like I said maybe its different actually holding it...but from all the pics IMO it looks bulky and like crap (thats not even getting into the UI, which reminded me of keychain ball compasses the way they kinda roll).

From the pictures as far as looks go the 3DS seems sexier....I seem to be in the minority here and thats OK....not all things for all people I guess.

I hope im wrong....I have a preorder in already just as a placeholder for if I agreed with price, but my PSP analog on the way out so it seems its going to be a def day1 purchase now.

jett

D-Member
What can I say JackFrost, I could not disagree more, I think the 3DS is ugly as hell.

Leona Lewis said:
That tweet refers to it as Sony Vita. That sounds a lot better than Playstation Vita, but would be a marketing nightmare. People would think it's a SE phone or something without explicit Playstation branding.

I like Sony Vita better too. It could be a tougher sell without the Playstation name, but they might as well just nix it and let it stand on its own.

Top Bottom