• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita Found On Sony's E3 Site, Now Removed

Luigiv

CRD90 said:
I know people really hate the interface, but I think it's really good. Nice big icons so you can't hit the wrong one, colourful and intuitive. The only thing I hate about it is the friends icon. Change that and I'd be happy.
It looks alright in motion (the way the icons bounce around is pretty slick actually) but I definitely would prefer square icon in a regular grid over this poor use of space.

stay gold

CRD90 said:
I know people really hate the interface, but I think it's really good. Nice big icons so you can't hit the wrong one, colourful and intuitive. The only thing I hate about it is the friends icon. Change that and I'd be happy.

It looks like someone knocked it up in photoshop in under 5 minutes.

Im sure someone at Sony is capable of taking the same concept and making it not look shit.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Slime said:
I actually don't mind it either. The only thing I don't really like is the text. If they removed that and only had the icons, but had the names pop up when you did a light tap or something, I wouldn't mind so much. But as it is, it makes the whole thing look a bit cluttered to me.
Well, fortunately the PSVita photo shows the interface no longer includes text. I agree that it looks quite nice that way. There's a lot of wasted space, but the round icons feel like they want to be touched.

BlazingDarkness said:
So, is this it's new name now? Or just it's old codename?
OP hasn't been updated.
This is why whoever changed the thread title made a mistake and needs to change it back.
To answer your question, it looks like this is the new name.

Krev said:
This is why whoever changed the thread title made a mistake and needs to change it back.
To answer your question, it looks like this is the new name.

Ah okay thank you!

I grew attached to NGP but PSV works for me too!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
BlazingDarkness said:
So, is this it's new name now? Or just it's old codename?
OP hasn't been updated.
To briefly summarise developments:

1) There've been two pictures posted of apparent promo literature showing PlayStation Vita, and showing the device in a pose not previously seen (i.e. doesn't look like a photoshop, would be difficult to fake in such a short amount of time). The blog that posted these pics said on Thursday that the name was Vita, and then when the report in the OP did the rounds, decided to share the photos.

2) playstationvita.com and psvita.com were registered in April via the same company Sony normally uses.

I think it's looking likely.

KAL2006

Banned
john tv said:
psvita-pic1.jpg

Why I believe this is real is because the bottom right 2 icons have never been shown before. If you watch an old video of the interface
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJgBeFhmn9I
You can see those Icons are nowhere to be seen, also there is text on the old interface, where as this new interface hasn't got text next to the icons.

KAL2006 said:
Why I believe this is real is because the bottom right 2 icons have never been shown before. If you watch an old video of the interface
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJgBeFhmn9I
You can see those Icons are nowhere to be seen, also there is text on the old interface, where as this new interface hasn't got text next to the icons.
Maybe it just disappears after a short time, just like on the ps3 XMB.

Looks much cleaner without text.

Laguna

Banned
get2sammyb said:
You're never going to be playing Uncharted on a next-gen smartphone unless the model changes. So in that sense this does offer something incredibly unique. Whether people care or not is a different factor.

Personally, I'll be there day one.

I wouldn´t call it unique but I get your point. As a "gamer" that also plays handhelds I see it in a similar way. But it´s also true that even among "hardcores" a more and more people have little interest in handhelds and with the rising smartphone-capabilities even gaming-wise it starts to take priority and soon enough there´ll be more powerful smartphones either way.

With a great and exclusive game library hardcores would be more likely to bite but this is something we have to little information about right now and I doubt that besides Sony alot of 3rd parties will be eager to develop high budget triple A games for such an uncertain territory, it´s more likely that they will go the multiplattform route and porting/downgrading some console games and therefor not gaining a lot in the exclusive department. Buttons and so on are cleary an advantage for games but it seems like smartphones options are good enough to alot of people ignoring that Apple or any other smartphone company could go a route like Sony with Xperia in future.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
CRD90 said:
The only thing I hate about it is the friends icon. Change that and I'd be happy.
Agreed. Not only does it look bad, it clashes with the style of the other icons.

KAL2006

Banned
M_Night said:
If it is Vita then I wonder how they will name new SKU's.

The obvious choice is Playstation Vita-2, -3 and so on.

Vita 2000
Vita Plus
Vita 3D
Vita Go
Vita Pocket
Vita Mini

I don't think it is a problem at all

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Laguna said:
With a great and exclusive game library hardcores would be more likely to bite but this is something we have to little information about right now and I doubt that besides Sony alot of 3rd parties will be eager to develop high budget triple A games for such an uncertain territory
I bet there will be A TON of high budget Japanese titles for this thing.
There may not be many big western games, but have there ever been for handhelds?

M.D

The increasing chances that this is the real name are worrying me

Vita... that just doesn't sound right.
You know when you say a name and it makes sense? Like I can understand why people hate the name Wii ,but when you say "Nintendo Wii", it still make sense.

Playstation Vita... not so much. "Allow me present to you the Playstation Vita"! .... no. it doesn't catch.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
M.D said:
You know when you say a name and it makes sense? Like I can understand why people hate the name Wii ,but when you say "Nintendo Wii", it still make sense.
Trust me, when the Wii name was announced almost no one thought that.
You'll get used to it in time.

KAL2006

Banned
M.D said:
The increasing chances that this is the real name are worrying me

Vita... that just doesn't sound right.

Playstation Vita... not so much. "Allow me present to you the Playstation Vita"! .... no. it doesn't catch.

Actually for me I felt like that with tons of names
Wii
NGP
XBox

I like the name. Then again, I don't really care what they call a system as long as it isn't a regular word like feel. You'll get used to it just like everyone got used to 360, Wii, etc...

Ellis Kim

Banned
If Vita turns out to be real, I fully expect Sony attacking the whole unisex market head-on, and not just their hardcore audience. I expect them to market this like a quasi-tablet, but with more gaming, less PDF reading.

Which reminds me... they better have a better comic reader than the one they have right now for the PSP.

Takao

Banned
I really do not like how that PSVita text looks on the handheld underneath the screen. It's quite ugly. Give me PSV (PlayStation 5! - which is true, it would be the fifth real PlayStation platform), or PlayStation Vita.

Ellis Kim said:
Which reminds me... they better have a better comic reader than the one they have right now for the PSP.

I only have the free comics since the comics store isn't available in Canada, but I actually quite like the reader. What's the problem you see with it?

Laguna

Banned
Krev said:
I bet there will be A TON of high budget Japanese titles for this thing.
There may not be many big western games, but have there ever been for handhelds?

Sorry I wasn´t clear enough I´m talking about USA and Europe. And about Japan, PSP got a lot of support over there but high budget titles are really sporadic even considering all six years since its launch and even those "high budget" efforts aren´t high budget by any recent standards maybe for PS2 days standards at best. Most efforts were sub PS2 budgets and predominantly ports with some exceptions from SQEX and titles like MGSPW and MH3rd in six years. I doubt even Japanese developers will be to eager to make PSP2 exclusive games with budgets similar to PS3 high budget.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Laguna said:
Sorry I wasn´t clear enough I´m talking about USA and Europe. And about Japan, PSP got a lot of support over there but high budget titles are really sporadic even considering all six years since its launch and even those "high budget" efforts aren´t high budget by any recent standards maybe for PS2 days standards at best. Most efforts were sub PS2 budgets and predominantly ports with some exceptions from SQEX and titles like MGSPW and MH3rd in six years. I doubt even Japanese developers will be to eager to make PSP2 exclusive games with budgets similar to PS3 high budget.
Well, thank god for that. The industry would benefit from more ecosystems that can support lower budget games. I'm hoping that the existence of PS Suite, Minis, etc on the platform will help make 2D and lower budget games seem viable on the machine, even as retail titles.
I expect that we'll see more high budget games from Japanese studios on Vita than we saw on PSP. The Japanese shift in focus towards handhelds is only going to speed up, and there will be a demand for blockbuster games.
It's not hard to imagine this thing landing Dragon Quest XI.

Kind of easy to get used to the name, though Ive often slipped to saying PS Vista. PSV is an compelling abbreviation. Kudos to Sony if this is an elaborate scheme to throw people off the path to the real name.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Dedication Through Light said:
Kind of easy to get used to the name, though Ive often slipped to saying PS Vista. PSV is an compelling abbreviation. Kudos to Sony if this is an elaborate scheme to throw people off the path to the real name.
Why bother? They've got more important things to worry about right now.
I think people should accept that it's going to be called PS Vita.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
gofreak said:
FWIW, RipTen claims they've been told the Vita name, along with the subtitle of its Uncharted game: Golden Abyss. They say Sony may confirm these details ahead of E3 - which in the latter case, at least, might make sense - aren't we supposed to be getting new info on the Uncharted on June 2?

http://www.ripten.com/2011/05/29/uncharted-golden-abyss-coming-to-the-playstation-vita-brycew/
It would make sense. Nintendo announced the Wii name weeks in advance of its E3 unveiling. 'Vita' is clearly ruffling some feathers but it's a lot easier to become accustomed to. Glancing at the headline on that RipTen page, the name already looks completely natural to me.

Laguna

Banned
Krev said:
Well, thank god for that. The industry would benefit from more ecosystems that can support lower budget games. I'm hoping that the existence of PS Suite, Minis, etc on the platform will help make 2D and lower budget games seem viable on the machine, even as retail titles.
I expect that we'll see more high budget games from Japanese studios on Vita than we saw on PSP. The Japanese shift in focus towards handhelds is only going to speed up, and there will be a demand for blockbuster games.
It's not hard to imagine this thing landing Dragon Quest XI.

Imagination is a great thing. And of course it would be a good thing if the "ecosystem" could be expanded. But people need to buy the hardware first and there has to be an incentive for this not just a (Sony)promise and if PSP2 will lack exclusive software content it will have a tough time even among "hardcores" in US and Europe after the first launch/hype phase.
The more normal people that aren´t as crazy about videogames as some of us but even people that like to play on their consoles but don´t have to play constantly and even on the go see a smartphone as a device that will be more than sufficient for their needs even gaming-wise, especially knowing that there´ll be more powerful ones soon enough.

So it´s really hard to convince 3rd partie publishers to go all out on exclusive PSP2 development. More than likely there´ll be some flagship title announcements but which will release years after PSP2 launch when the userbase has reached a certain number like SQEX did with Crisis Core.

Elios83

gofreak said:
FWIW, RipTen claims they've been told the Vita name, along with the subtitle of its Uncharted game: Golden Abyss. They say Sony may confirm these details ahead of E3 - which in the latter case, at least, might make sense - aren't we supposed to be getting new info on the Uncharted on June 2?

http://www.ripten.com/2011/05/29/uncharted-golden-abyss-coming-to-the-playstation-vita-brycew/

That's what I think too, we might have a few key NGP...emmm VITA infos next week among with the official presentation/hands on of a few key titles like Uncharted.

gofreak said:

But no details of release information? Rumors are never conclusive. I like the name for Uncharted but the Vita, still needs to grow on me. Its difficult to not say Vista, it really is.

Massa

Elios83 said:
That's what I think too, we might have a few key NGP...emmm VITA infos next week among with the official presentation/hands on of a few key titles like Uncharted.

Sony should announce Playstation Suite details before E3. People are already confused about what it is and certainly won't be paying too much attention to it in the middle of everything else going on at E3.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
But no details of release information? Rumors are never conclusive. I like the name for Uncharted but the Vita, still needs to grow on me. Its difficult to not say Vista, it really is.
Just think 'Veeta', not 'Vyetah'. It's not too much like Vista.
Gravijah said:
So this Vita stuff isn't a joke?
Doesn't look like it.

Takao

Banned
Massa said:
Sony should announce Playstation Suite details before E3. People are already confused about what it is and certainly won't be paying too much attention to it in the middle of everything else going on at E3.

Ericsson said Suite will be at E3. So who knows.

onQ123

they don't even sound alike

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
General Shank-a-snatch said:
The thing is, you know how to pronounce Dreamcast just by looking at the name.
I knew how to pronounce Vita as soon as I looked at it. I was shocked people were thinking 'Vye-tah'.
Just like people saying 'Eye-raahk'. Or 'Kraytos'.
People have a bad habit of pronouncing a syllable the way that the name of the letter is pronounced.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I actually like the Vita name. Sounds like a sleek piece of electronics rather than a boring PSP2.

Zoe

FTH said:
lol, and you don't for Vita?

Vee-tuh
Veye-tuh
Vi-tuh

It's not a normal English word. I'd imagine most people would try to go for Vi-tuh to be like Vista.

Top Bottom