• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita Found On Sony's E3 Site, Now Removed

daffy

Banned
General Shank-a-snatch said:
People could interpret it in different ways.
That can be said for any word. I thought you meant you yourself had problems speaking the word Vita or something. Even Dreamcast is spoken DreAHMcast in some countries. And Wii is pronounced Veetee in some places. How does that matter? I don't follow..
Zoe said:
Vee-tuh
Veye-tuh
Vi-tuh

It's not a normal English word. I'd imagine most people would try to go for Vi-tuh to be like Vista.
And Vista/Dreamcast is? Most countries will pronounce it the same, Veetah. There will of course be differences but its not like only America/Europe/Japan say Veetah. I am confused..?

M.D

Vita... Vita... Vita...

I need to get used to that name

I actually really like the name Bravia
It sounds even better when you say Sony Bravia

There are names that just sound good right away like Samsung Galaxy S

I'll get used to it but I still hope they don't use that name

Gravijah

FTH said:
\
And Vista/Dreamcast is? Most countries will pronounce it the same, Veetah. There will of course be differences but its not like only America/Europe/Japan say Veetah. I am confused..?

Dreamcast is just two common English words put together.

Zoe

FTH said:

vis·ta/ˈvistə/Noun
1. A pleasing view, esp. one seen through a long, narrow opening: "a vista of church spires".
2. A mental view of a succession of remembered or anticipated events: "vistas of freedom"

daffy

Banned
Gravijah said:
Dreamcast is just two common English words put together.
Not to be funny, but Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious is about 5 common English words put together. That doesn't make it itself common. I guess you mean easier to pronounce?
Zoe said:
vis·ta/ˈvistə/Noun
1. A pleasing view, esp. one seen through a long, narrow opening: "a vista of church spires".
2. A mental view of a succession of remembered or anticipated events: "vistas of freedom"
Yes, those are certainly meanings of Vista. Vista originated in Italia didn't it? So it is a common Italian word no?
Just wondering, what's your native language?
French.

onQ123

unless the Mod that changed the thread title know something that we don't I see know reason for the thread title change.

Zoe

FTH said:
Yes, those are certainly meanings of Vista. Vista originated in Italia didn't it? So it is a common Italian word no?

It is a word in the English language, regardless of origin.

Vita, on the other hand, is not.

Gravijah

FTH said:
Not to be funny, but Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious is about 5 common English words put together. That doesn't make it itself common. I guess you mean easier to pronounce?

Yes.

FTH said:

That's what we were talking about, dear. Common English words are easy to pronounce, even if you daisy chain them together. Now, if the new PSP was called "Vital," the average English-speaking person would know how to pronounce it correctly.

onQ123 said:
unless the Mod that changed the thread title know something that we don't I see know reason for the thread title change.

I don't remember Miyamoto's similar quote to Yoshida's being added to any Cafe thread titles either.

daffy

Banned
That's what we were talking about, dear. Common English words are easy to pronounce, even if you daisy chain them together. Now, if the new PSP was called "Vital," the average English-speaking person would know how to pronounce it correctly.
I don't see how Vita is less common or harder to say than Vital when only one letter is removed. Isn't that English 101? The flow of letters in sentences??
Zoe said:
It is a word in the English language, regardless of origin.

Vita, on the other hand, is not.
Vista is a word in the French language as well, it is not a hard word to pronounce or interpret. You are confusing me!!

edit: Ok, English speakers do not say Vita often, therefore it is harder to pronounce???

Zoe

FTH said:
I don't see how Vita is less common or harder to say than Vital when only one letter is removed. Isn't that English 101? The flow of letters in sentences??

Vita is a word in the French language as well, it is not a hard word to pronounce or interpret. You are confusing me!!

edit: Ok, English speakers do not say Vita often, therefore it is harder to pronounce???

English is full of exceptions in pronunciation.

daffy

Banned
Zoe said:
English is full of exceptions in pronunciation.
Ok, tell me if I understand, this has been very interesting!!

Vita is pretty universal when you say it in French and some other places. In English though, since there are varied locales and accents, Vita can either be pronounced Veetah or Vytah or those others you mentioned. Therefore, English speakers have a varied experience with the word and don't know a "true" way to say it?? Right?

Zoe

FTH said:
Ok, tell me if I understand, this has been very interesting!!

Vita is pretty universal when you say it in French and some other places. In English though, since there are varied locales, Vita can either be pronounced Veetah or Vytah or those others you mentioned. Therefore, English speakers have a varied experience with the word and don't know a "true" way to say it?? Right?

English speakers have NO experience with the word, so they would have to look to other words to form the pronunciation.

English is not a romance language, so you can't expect words to transfer so easily between many other European languages like it is for French.

Carl

Does it really matter that people will pronounce it differently? People pronounce all sorts of words differently depending on where they're from. I can't see as if it really matters.

Zoe said:
English speakers have NO experience with the word, so they would have to look to other words to form the pronunciation.

English is not a romance language, so you can't expect words to transfer so easily between many other European languages like it is for French.

English is however based off several languages, several of which are romantic in origin.

le probleme est ca: quelques mots avec les lettres "a" ou "i" sont prononces avec un "eee" ou un "i". Donc, le mots "data" est prononces "dah-ta" et "day-ta". les deux sont vrai. le meme problems est ca avec "vita".

Sorry for my shoddy french. Basically both pronounciations are correct because either one is not necessarily true. "vIta" and "veeta" are both acceptable due to different european influences being in the language.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Onion_Relish said:
English is however based off several languages, several of which are romantic in origin.

le probleme est ca: quelques mots avec les lettres "a" ou "i" sont prononces avec un "eee" ou un "i". Donc, le mots "data" est prononces "dah-ta" et "day-ta". les deux sont vrai. le meme problems est ca avec "vita".

Sorry for my shoddy french. Basically both pronounciations are correct because either one is not necessarily true. "vIta" and "veeta" are both acceptable due to different european influences being in the language.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the "vIta" (or "Eye-raq") pronunciation is derived from any European language.

daffy

Banned
Zoe said:

arrggg ok. Not sure I understand completely. but ok, Vita is not an English word at all, yet vital and vista are, which is how English speakers know how to derive Vita.
Onion_Relish said:
non non, votre français est excellent!

So it can be pronounced differently, but never hard to pronounce, like data? So it really shouldn't matter of the speaking then. Everyone will still know what to say. Even if someone else knows another way.

FTH said:
arrggg ok. Not sure I understand completely. but ok, Vita is not an English word at all, yet vital and vista are, which is how English speakers know how to derive Vita.

non non, votre français est excellent!

So it can be pronounced differently, but never hard to pronounce, like data? So it really shouldn't matter of the speaking then. Everyone will still know what to say. Even if someone else knows another way.

Merci Beacuoup. Et oui, vous etes correcte. Je ne sais pas pourquoi les gens qui parlent dans le forum sont agite. C'est juste un mot.

Et, une vrai histoire pour vous. J'ai obetnu un nouveau emploi avec le gouvernement du canada. Je travaille avec le recensement du canada dans le bureau au Surrey. Je telephone les gens qui avez un problem avec leurs recensement. Le raison primaire pour moi de obtenir le emploi est pour ma francais haha. Je travaille avec seulement deux personnes qui parlent francais. Le homme est bilingual a partir de l'ecole francais (immersion) et le fille a habite Montreal. Je essaie plus fort parceque je peut-etre accepte quand je visite France. Ou habitez vous?

Zoe

WonkersTHEWatilla said:
So for some "Vee-tah" sounds better than "Veye-tah"?

I'll just wait to hear how Kaz and Sony pronounce it.

The latter sounds incomplete to me.

daffy

Banned
Onion_Relish said:
Merci Beacuoup. Et oui, vous etes correcte. Je ne sais pas pourquoi les gens qui parlent dans le forum sont agite. C'est juste un mot.

Et, une vrai histoire pour vous. J'ai obetnu un nouveau emploi avec le gouvernement du canada. Je travaille avec le recensement du canada dans le bureau au Surrey. Je telephone les gens qui avez un problem avec leurs recensement. Le raison primaire pour moi de obtenir le emploi est pour ma francais haha. Je travaille avec seulement deux personnes qui parlent francais. Le homme est bilingual a partir de l'ecole francais (immersion) et le fille a habite Montreal. Je essaie plus fort parceque je peut-etre accepte quand je visite France. Ou habitez vous?
Haha oui! Il est juste un mot, je doute qu'il y aura de la difficulté à dire Vita si elle est annoncée. Réaction excessive typique

Je suis vivant aux Etats-Unis aujourd'hui, mais je vivais dans Merseille avant. Si vous visitez la France, je vous souhaite un merveilleux moment et amusez-vous, je tiens à revenir bientôt! Il ne devrait pas être si dur avec vos compétences! Bonne chance avec votre travail!

KAL2006

Banned
$250 - it would be a steal
$300 - i would think that is the perfect price and well worth the money
$350 - i would still get it but the price would upset me a bit
$400 - fuck no way this console is doomed

I predict it to be $300

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
i think 450 would be my limit. this thing has more tech than a 600 dollar ipad.

but at the end of a day it is a gaming handheld and 400+ is pushing it. plus, apple can overcharge and get away with it. sony, not so much.

spats

I can see myself paying 299€ for the Playstation® Vita™. I still think the name sounds like a health drink with aloe vera aimed at 30-year old women but it's slowly growing on me. If the name is actually real they better have an airtight marketing plan for this.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
$350 would take all of the vita out of this system's launch.

Wazzim

Banned
Dedication Through Light said:
Makes me wonder how 3G pricing will work, on top of being the model most likely at $350. $349.99 wifi only one for me, if it has 64GB on board memory or more.
It won't have 64gb on board, I can tell you that.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
KAL2006 said:
$250 - it would be a steal
$300 - i would think that is the perfect price and well worth the money
$350 - i would still get it but the price would upset me a bit
$400 - fuck no way this console is doomed

I predict it to be $300
Anything over $299 would be a psychological issue. I hope Sony knows this. They probably do but suck too much.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Plinko said:
$350 would take all of the vita out of this system's launch.
just curious...

do you think 350 is too much to be successful?

or do you think the PSV doesnt have a value of 350.

or both?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jim Reilly of IGN thinks Vita was the codename for NGP previously too - but wasn't it Veta? Only one site previously reported the codename as Vita, AFAIK, everyone else as Veta.

spats

gofreak said:
Jim Reilly of IGN thinks Vita was the codename for NGP previously too - but wasn't it Veta? Only one site previously reported the codename as Vita, AFAIK, everyone else as Veta.

Veta sounds a lot cooler even though I don't know what it is. Other than meaning "to know" in swedish.

Vita%20Cola%20Mix%20Kampagnenfoto.jpg

delicious

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Bad_Boy said:
just curious...

do you think 350 is too much to be successful?

or do you think the PSV doesnt have a value of 350.

or both?
- I think 350 is too much for a dedicated gaming handheld in today's standards, especially considering the rising prices of retail games. So I don't see it being successful right out of the gate.

- We don't know what to expect from the PSV, aside from a couple of decent looking first party launch games. So as of now I don't see much value in it. Here's hoping E3 rectifies this.

Zoibie

gofreak said:

Hmm... that raises another point. E3 judges week was last week, so presumably the editors that went there know what the official branding on the NGP is. How exactly do NDAs work? I know the editors can't say what the name of the device is, but can they say what the name of the device isn't?

Top Bottom