• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: Server Breached/Hacked - No Data Lost

El Sloth

Banned
NPR reports.

Nintendo was targeted in a recent online data attack, but no personal or company information was lost, the Japanese maker of the Wii game console said Sunday.

The server of an affiliate of Nintendo Co.'s U.S. unit was accessed unlawfully a few weeks ago, but there was no damage, company spokesman Ken Toyoda said.

"There were no third-party victims," Toyoda said, while declining to elaborate. "But it is a fact there was some kind of possible hacking attack."

The damage from what could be a recent spate of such data breaches targeting big-name brands was more serious at rival Sony Corp.

Sony has said massive personal information, including email addresses, names and birth dates, and involving more than 100 million users, is suspected of having been stolen after security was compromised in April for its network service for the PlayStation 3 game machine, for other online services and, in the past week, from Sony Pictures' website.

It is still unclear who is behind the attacks at Sony or Nintendo, based in Kyoto.
Hackers calling themselves Lulz Security, a reference to the Internetspeak for "laugh out loud," have recently boasted of compromising more than 1 million users' personal information.

Tokyo-based Sony has said it is strengthening security measures. It has contacted the FBI and other authorities for an investigation into the cyber attacks​

Lulzsec isn't claiming responsibility on their twitter (yet) so it may be unrelated to the recent Sony breaches.

Edit: Seems I'm a little late on this. And they apparently DID claim responsibility for it.

luffeN

Nintendo Cyber Ninjas for the win!

BertramCooper said:
Didn't I read in another thread that Lulzsec broke into their E3 site, but didn't find any info posted in it yet?
Yeah, that too.

WillyFive

1803527-capture.png

BertramCooper said:
Didn't I read in another thread that Lulzsec broke into their E3 site, but didn't find any info posted in it yet?

LOL oh wow! :p

That's how you do it. Same with the banners at E3; using projectors when the conference starts/ends, not in advance. Nintendo Ninjas indeed.

Willy105 said:

Huh, oooooooh kay?

Peasant Princess-King said:
Nintendos refusal to use the Internet completely is finally a boon to them
Not yet. They'll prove most useful when Skynet finally activates.

Damned Terminators won't get my friend codes!

obonicus

DangerousDave said:
They are bragging that they could have stole data, but they only got a config file as proof of concept because they didn't want to harm them?

Yeah, not the most encouraging message in the world.

I like how they're trying to kiss Nintendo's asses.

Yeah, I'm sure Nintendo is super flattered that a group of pathetic little miscreants are big fans of theirs.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Peasant Princess-King said:
Nintendos refusal to use the Internet completely is finally a boon to them

FINISH THEM!

As for the hacking group, if they're claiming the hack from weeks back, then why are they just advertising it right now?

Trurl

Banned
BertramCooper said:

Yeah, I'm sure Nintendo is super flattered that a group of pathetic little miscreants are big fans of theirs.
I don't know, man, I doubt Nintendo will be impressed.

imthemaid

Banned
BertramCooper said:

is that you in your avatar?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Is pretty awesome that everyone actually believes them.
"Yo guys we hacked their servers but we didnt steal anything(Trollface.jpg)"

Top Bottom