• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BF3 PC and PS3/Console screenshot and video comparison

Thought this was worthy of a thread. Video comparison between the two - side by side. This is another video of the same comparison but now you can watch this in Full Screen

Screenshots below aren't the best but you can grasp the general differences between the two visually.

5eycr7.jpg

wa565s.jpg

1zgq7go.jpg

23wwf8o.jpg

11aimiw.jpg

95y4ci.jpg

16k2qtu.jpg

12546jq.jpg

295r7mt.jpg

mb3iir.jpg

2egczdv.jpg

r0ni1i.jpg

Source

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Holy massive screens batman.

Anywho, the quality of the screens themselves arent the best, so I'll wait for a further look, but the PS3 version still looks great.

In motion it looks fantastic, the animations alone make it.

Kogepan

amazing...$599 graphics cards are better than 6 year old consoles. i never would have believed it without the massive screenshots.

JaseMath

While the PS3/console version is obviously going to be a bit weaker, this isn't a fair comparison as the PC screens are direct feed and the PS3/console version obviously aren't (complete with compression artifacts).

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Definitely better lighting in the PC version (on top of the more obvious stuff). It appears they have higher quality GI simulation going on there, or something along those lines. PS3 video caps also look to be much lower quality so it's hard to see what it really looks like.

Shiloa

These screens surely aren't representative. I mean those PC shots look pretty bad compared to what I've seen before.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
JasonMCG said:
While the PS3/console version is obviously going to be a bit weaker, this isn't a fair comparison as the PC screens are direct feed and the PS3/console version obviously aren't (complete with compression artifacts).

This. We need equal footage of both.

Also, I hate screens, it's really all about how it looks in motion.

FGMPR

Banned
Kogepan said:
amazing...$599 graphics cards are better than 6 year old consoles. i never would have believed it without the massive screenshots.

So does that mean that people shouldn't analyze just how big that difference is?

Why would you even post that?

Takao

Banned
This is kind of a pointless thread given the PS3 version's footage is from a poor capture of an in-motion demo from a TV show.

RealMeat

Banned
PS3 version dosn't actually look too bad. I wonder what the framerate will be like. This makes me feel better about not needing to upgrade my computer just yet (it handles BC2 without any problems).

Lord Error said:
Definitely better lighting in the PC version (on top of the more obvious stuff). It appears they have higher quality GI simulation going on there, or something along those lines. PS3 video caps also look to be much lower quality so it's hard to see what it really looks like.

The PC version has radiosity as far as I know... should be a LOT better lightning wise.

Ubersnug

Meus Renaissance said:

Assuming we are looking at the exact same scenes here between the PC and PS3 version, it seems DICE has actually altered the look of the levels. Look at the building in the background. The PC version is vastly different from the one we are seeing in the PS3 version.

I wonder if this is due to the destruction model the game employs?

Wonder what else will be different when the game ships.

thuway

FlawlessCowboy said:
Looks okay. I'm interested in seeing the Xbox 360 version.
Probably will look on par with the PS3 version. PS3 might look slightly better or 360 might look slightly better. In all honesty, the PC version is the one to get, but this reiterates something.

Lord knows, next generation, ND, Santa Monica, Bioware, and the rest will make games look like sex.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Comparing screens from these kind of sources renders the entire thing fucking moot.

Sethos

Banned
What a useless comparison, especially with the 40x40 pixel dithered images.

However we can see what everybody knows, console versions look will look like vector art at 30fps.

Meus Renaissance said:
Screenshots below aren't the best but you can grasp the general differences between the two visually.

Eh, not really. I loves me a good comparison, but using screencaps from a badly compressed video stream?

So they axed geometry (the arches for the building on the first screenshot behind the fence in the background, the detail in the edge of the wall near the gun.
I think this is a good thing btw, not cockblocking the pc version with console polycount geometry and not axing the framerate on ps3.
This is the proper , non-lazy pc to console way to port, the ONLY good way to port, go DICE kudos to you guys.

Shadows (gt5 type blocky shadows)
Resolution (hello fuzzyness)
Lighting : Kinda hard to tell from the screenshots but there is no way in hell the real time radiosity is making it to the ps3 version.
Particle effects : there are just way less of them
Textures (bigtime, but they aren't wizards, they have the same ram and crappy fillrate to deal with on ps3 as everyone else).
AA (jaggies galore) and AF (even more fuzzy textures further away).

Where did op pull those pc screenshots from btw? A youtube stream?...
If you are going to do a comparison at least do a proper one and show the amazing IQ you get on a nice pc (like framedavinci did).
The IQ here is so bad that it hides the huge difference in texture quality.

A good effort for ps3 though, if they can translate the gameplay and most of the level design I expect ps3 owners will and should be happy.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Meus Renaissance said:
Terrible pictures

From those pictures i would judge that both versions look like ass.
Luckily i have seen high res less compressed images so i know what you were trying to get at.

PS3 version looks like a good console port of a PC game.

Mr_Brit

Banned
SneakyStephan said:
So they axed geometry (the arches for the building on the first screenshot behind the fence in the background, the detail in the edge of the wall near the gun.

Shadows (gt5 type blocky shadows)

Resolution (hello fuzzyness)

Lighting : Kinda hard to tell from the screenshots but there is no way in hell the real time radiosity is making it to the ps3 version.

Particle effects : there are just way less of them

Textures (bigtime, but they aren't wizards, they have the same ram and crappy fillrate to deal with on ps3 as everyone else).

AA (jaggies galore) and AF (even more fuzzy textures further away).

Where did op pull those pc screenshots from btw? A youtube stream?...
If you are going to do a comparison at least do a proper one and show the amazing IQ you get on a nice pc (like framedavinci did).
The IQ here is so bad that it hides the huge difference in texture quality.

A good effort for ps3 though, if they can translate the gameplay and most of the level design I expect ps3 owners will and should be happy.
The PS3 version runs at 1280x704 unscaled with MLAA. Any bluriness or jagginess is due to something other than resolution or AA such as low shadow resolution or low res buffers.

Durante

All the screenshots in the OP look like complete ass. Like they were taken from a 1mbps "720p" stream. A real comparison would need much higher quality sources.

[Nintex] said:
Dice said it best
ickKJ.png
I hate this kind of game and I almost want to buy it now.

Mr_Brit said:
The PS3 version runs at 1280x704 unscaled with MLAA. Any bluriness or jagginess is due to something other than resolution or AA such as low shadow resolution or low res buffers.
Huh? MLAA certainly doesn't eliminate all sources of aliasing. And it can actually cause blurriness.

I don't think a bunch of poorly compressed low resolution stream copied PC images really show off it's full magnificence. This is the dumbest comparison thread ever.

Top Bottom