• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Baba at Japan Expo: Tales of Xillia may come to Europe if demand is high..

BY2K

Membero Americo
Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSLTQX-DfWI

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zttI6GnLev8&feature=related

It's in French, and there isn't really anything new. Mostly talk about Tales of the Abyss 3D and Tales of Graces F (screenshots and trailers still in Japanese.) Except this (in part 2):

Tales of Xillia may come to Europe if demand is high enough. Hideo Baba made that statement (that's why people shouted.)

There was supposed to be a Graces F trailer, but they had technical difficulties and couldn't show it... for some reason.

hamchan

Rahxephon91 said:
Is begging the future of the US JRPG gamer?
See for Tales I actually believe them when they say demand might not be high enough. But for Final Fantasy it's like "lol, are you retarded Kitase".

BY2K

Membero Americo
vall03 said:
fuuuu why only Europe?! there is also demand in the US ffs!

That conference was at the Japan Expo, which is in France, so of course they'll only mention Europe there.

If it comes to Europe, I'm confident it will come to America too.

I mean, this isn't NoA we're talking about.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Sick of this "if the demand is high" PR dripfeed nonsense. Either release it or don't. Stop pussyfooting around it.

klee123

Besides, if it does come to Europe only, it's not a big problem at all, since the PS3 is region free unlike some other console.

Pirabear

Banned
speedpop said:
Sick of this "if the demand is high" PR dripfeed nonsense. Either release it or don't. Stop pussyfooting around it.

This. How exactly do you scale how much demand a product has that isn't even released in the territory anyway?

Yeah, I'm getting pretty sick of being told to beg for everything now. That's probably their way of saying it's already been denied, and only a large sudden outcry has the potential to change the company's mind. But it should be obvious anyway that we want the new games, even if the sales to the general populace aren't that high.

Gravijah said:
What comes after begging? :(

reggie-my-body-is-ready.jpg

NateDrake

BY2K said:
That conference was at the Japan Expo, which is in France, so of course they'll only mention Europe there.

If it comes to Europe, I'm confident it will come to America too.

I mean, this isn't NoA we're talking about.
You're right. It is something even more evil! Scamco will deliberately piss us off like they did by putting Tales of Vesperia in their Graces teaser image....

BY2K

Membero Americo
NateDrake said:
You're right. It is something even more evil! Scamco will deliberately piss us off like they did by putting Tales of Vesperia in their Graces teaser image....

I'm sorry, but as of this moment, NoA is worse than Namco.

daffy

Banned
We already knew this. They're always gonna say maybe unless sales of Graces F give them a reason not to.

edit:
BY2K said:
I'm sorry, but as of this moment, NoA is worse than Namco.
That's a really reactionary statement to make.

MechaX

I didn't think it was possible, but being a JRPG fan outside of Japan in the next generation to come might be more infuriating than being one in this generation.

vall03

MechaX said:
I didn't think it was possible, but being a JRPG fan outside of Japan in the next generation to come might be more infuriating than being one in this generation.
this is my biggest fear next gen, the gap between the west and east is widening along with increasing costs, add to that the market shift and changes in gaming trend... *sigh* its as if they are telling us to just learn the language if we want to play all these games

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Time to spam them with emails and death threats about Tales of Xillia localization again. :p

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
By the way, isn't showing a Japanese game in a Western event (the Japan Expo is technically a Western event) mean that it is has an imminent localization?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Bahaha, this is rich. Honestly, I hate hearing the news but at the same time, Japan's complete regression away from publishing their best games world wide is hilarious. Better still, it's the larger companies with more global clout who are shying away from this while Atlus, Ignition, NIS and others keep doing their thing.

What a fall from last gen, where things like Demento would just get tossed overseas.

Like I said in the other thread:

Japan: Beg us to create products to sell.
America: Here's this cool thing you never even knew you wanted!

There's such a stark difference in how American publishers will target, and attempt to expand a market. Japanese publishers just doesn't even want to acknowledge what used to be there is constantly shrinking due to their own lack of input. Capcom's tests, Nintendo, Square and Namco's "demands". While all this is going on, Namco's putting out garbage Warhammer Fantasy games and getting Witcher 2 publishing rights in Europe for some reason. Boggles the mind. I hope they can get out of their identity crises soon.

Aeana

Let's focus on getting the people boycotting Graces F because it's not Vesperia PS3 to come to their senses.

Aeana

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
...There's people actually doing that?

Wow.
Yeah, the western Tales fanbase is pretty much terrible. Right now they should be campaigning to get people to buy the games they are getting, but they'd rather sit on forums and whine.

BY2K

Membero Americo
FTH said:
That's a really reactionary statement to make.

Namco decided to release Tales of Graces F here and in Europe because fans demanded it enough (more like spammed to no end, but it worked.)

With Xenoblade, people actually put money on the table with those Amazon pre-orders, and NoA still says "No."

Aeana said:
Yeah, the western Tales fanbase is pretty much terrible. Right now they should be campaigning to get people to buy the games they are getting, but they'd rather sit on forums and whine.
I'm just seriously baffled that people are actually going through with this. Hell, Graces F being localized in a miracle in itself. (The people boycotting it aren't the same people who helped campaign for it, are they?)

daffy

Banned
Aeana said:
Let's focus on getting the people boycotting Graces F because it's not Vesperia PS3 to come to their senses.
No hope. All we can do now is lock them in Gamestop and wish for the best.
BY2K said:
Namco decided to release Tales of Graces F here and in Europe because fans demanded it enough (more like spammed to no end, but it worked.)

With Xenoblade, people actually put money on the table with those Amazon pre-orders, and NoA still says "No."
True, and that sucks for Nintendo to do. However that doesn't mean that NoA isn't bringing over a bunch of great Wii and 3DS/DS titles this fall and holiday. Seriously there are so many good games coming from Nintendo, that may not exactly be new IP jRPGs.

Namco has been sitting on their hands for years now in terms of lineup, until they finally realized they probably may need to squeeze more sales out of somewhere, and lookee they found the Tales series.

FTH said:
True, and that sucks for Nintendo to do. However that doesn't mean that NoA isn't bringing over a bunch of great Wii and 3DS/DS titles this fall and holiday. Seriously there are so many good games coming from Nintendo, that may not exactly be new IP jRPGs.
Zelda and..

Aeana said:

I'm fed with niche fanbases like this. Either learn Japanese, import, and forget that Western publishers exist, or shut up and show companies there's an audience for these kinds of games the only way you can: cold, hard cash.

Teknoman

I gotta ask, whats up with all these Japanese companies and "if the demand is there"? How would they ever know if people wanted the game? Browsing through online forums specific to those regions?

hamchan

Aeana said:
Goddamn, I can't believe people are doing this. Fucking idiots.

They're obviously going to judge demand for Xilia by how well Graces F sells.

And if we beg for it, it will undergo a stealth release. Only forum dwellers will know of it. Then the sales will be bad and they will use that to justify never doing it again.

Sometimes, I think they only want to bother developing/selling a handful of genres to us in the near future and this drawn out exercise has been just smoke and mirrors pruning.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Teknoman said:
I gotta ask, whats up with all these Japanese companies and "if the demand is there"? How would they ever know if people wanted the game? Browsing through online forums specific to those regions?

Show interest in other similar games from the company i would guess, other than talk about it on forums.

If Graces F and Abyss sell millions, i am quite sure Namco would be willing to localize Xillia with no problems.

FTH said:

That I plan on buying alone:

Fortune Street
Kirby Wii
Kirby Mass Attack DS
Star Fox 3D
Mario Kart 3D
Kid Icarus

Yeah.... really?
Well I'll say I'm happy you have something to play from them.

Top Bottom