• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 - September 23rd release

Massa

F1 2010 looked awful when played with a controller. I don't have a wheel, so I skipped it and bought GT5. There's no GT this year, so... have they fixed the controller support? People at this event are playing with a wheel so I don't expect to see an answer soon, but hopefully Helios will drop by here.

Lucius86

Banned
On the tube leaving the event now.... damn this game is good.

Full impressions when i get in. Nda on YouTube vids is from 10am Friday.

You cant see me, but stop it is right there in the middle!

HeliosT10

Great meeting the gaf'ers who came along, look forwards to reading your writeups and seeing your pics/vids. Safe travels back guys.

Lucius86

Banned
Helios_CM said:
Great meeting the gaf'ers who came along, look forwards to reading your writeups and seeing your pics/vids. Safe travels back guys.

You too, was a really great event. Many thanks once again for the invite!

Right, time to write up my impressions....give me 20 mins!

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Helios_CM said:
It was a pleasure meeting you too :)

Well, I will try to write up something more substantial in the morning, but while my head is still fizzing I will say this:

F1 2011 is a completely new animal. From the introduction of KERS & DRS (Both fully manual!), to the handling model which, while not directly comparable because of the difference in the wheel, felt totally different and was a lot more involved. The game just felt more polished (even in a very beta build), and builds off F1 2010 in every way they needed to.

Yes, it's a shame that replay's still aren't it, but with spectator mode fully working now (and online), I'm sure for our GAF league we can work out a "director" to capture our races live.

Aside from that, the only thing that intrigued me was the "race director" function available during races, noting major incidents and had lap charts etc too. it clearly wasn't finished but was a feature I wasn't expecting and looked very good.

More to come, but for now, I will just say that if you enjoyed F1 2010, but wanted something a bit different while keeping the feel of F1 intact, then you're in for a treat.

Again, I must sincerely thank Helios for inviting myself to this event, and to Codemasters for their time and for putting on the event.

Lucius86 said:
On the tube leaving the event now.... damn this game is good.

Full impressions when i get in. Nda on YouTube vids is from 10am Friday.

You cant see me, but stop it is right there in the middle!
Eek! This, and I got accosted by a man with a camera and a microphone during the event too, so..I guess I need to be on the lookout for a blog/Youtube video with me on it now!

Kyaw

Lucius86 said:
Give me another 20 mins - so much to write its unbelievable!

hehe, awesome. I could have gone today if someone invited me and if i didn't have an induction day in a different place... :(

Lucius86

Banned
Bear with me here everyone – this is going to be a long post, but I have a lot to say and I hope that those who are interested in F1 2011 will find some useful info from my preview of the new game. If you can’t be bothered to read below, here is a quick summary:

This game is the nuts.

Read on for the full experience and impressions...

I expected this event to be some sort of miniature LAN social – with loads of greasy teenagers, stuck in a small room playing the game with just but a handful of developers present to answer annoying questions by people with questionable BO. I was scared when walking towards the venue – I was thinking “why the fuck did I say I wanted to go to this?!?”

After arriving 30mins early, I realised how wrong I was wrong when I turned up and the building had a massive F1 2011 logo on the glass window front. This was a serious press event. With a large reception area, I was greeted by two big plasma screens with an early build of the new intro for the game greeting all arrivals, along with free drinks (thanks for that, much appreciated!) throughout the event. Walking through to the main area, it wasn’t the 25+ stations that caught my attention – immediately to the right there was the 2010 Lotus T127, in all its glory. Codemasters blatantly knew I was coming, so they got my Gaf Champ winning car there on display for all to see. Naturally, I posed for many pictures to my adoring fans....

Anyway, I managed to get a good 30-45 mins playing the game before David Croft (Radio 5 Live commentator) presented the game in front of the rapidly growing audience. There were a lot of people here – Official Xbox Magazine journalists, many professional video cameras recording the event. Crofty was funny, enthusiastic, and seemed like an all round sound guy. We were then shown some of the brief differences between F1 2010 and F1 2011. Nothing much new was shown here to be honest that has not already been shown in other media, apart from a nice comparison of the track side details between the two games. F1 2011 definitely is more impressive visually as a whole, although it’s not drastically different from its predecessor. But a good improvement none the less. NO PISS FILTER! A nice race between two Codies was shown off, with David Croft intervening by sitting on the makeshift F1 cockpits that had on the demo floor blocking their view – it was entertaining, but the mistakes caused by this showed off the new physics handling of the cars brilliantly.

Oh, and when I was racing I wondered why a massive camera was watching me race...I looked to my right and Nick Hamilton was there watching me – to my left was Anthony Davidson. Blatantly taking tips from me....

So, here are my views on the game itself...

I regarded F1 2010’s driving model as a flawed, but one of the most entertaining driving experiences I’ve had. But now after playing F1 2011, I see it as a very simplistic system and I’m not sure how I will be able to go back after tasting this. The game is still F1, but my god it feels like a different beast to drive. This car is ALIVE. Coming out of the first corner on Silverstone I floored the throttle like I did in F1 2010, but you just can’t do that now (with TC off anyway). No longer can the game feel a bit on rails – you honestly can feel the difference in traction you have on each individual tyre. You can tell when the car is on the limit just through the interactions in the force feedback wheels and the visual clues on screen. Riding the kerbs is joy, not guesswork until you know which ones to hit and which to not. You honestly feel more in touch with the car and how it controls.

Tyres are such a big difference this time around. Options are options – they are sexy, they have grip, they fade quickly. But put on those primes, and bloody hell you are in for a ride. You really need to rubber them in like in real F1 during the practice sessions. I went out on cold Primes, went into a corner and it felt so twitchy. The car just wanted to snap away if I just pushed them a little too hard. Apparently they will last like this for 2 laps or so, so those first 2 laps are really going to bust some people’s balls. But I loved wrestling with the car in this situation, and it was already clear the new physics model was a win.

This game is more unforgiving too. Start losing control of the car, you really must have some skill and reactions to wrestle it back. No longer will smacking the brakes save you! The sound effects when you are skidding are so realistic – no longer just tyre squeal, but you can hear each individual tyre lockup. And the crashes, ooo there will be debris EVERYWHERE. FV, you will love it. Saw some awesome moments of cars going up in the air. Bits of wings fall off, parts of the nose on its own – a massive upgrade.

Tyres lockup properly under braking now (and again sounds amazing), you can intuitively tell which wheel is locking when braking, which is just another example of how good the cars feel now.

There is a full XP system in place for online races now, where if you drive a HRT, you are not expected to win. But do better than expected, and you will get bonus XP. Hit another car, you will lose XP. It rewards sensible, but fast drivers who outperform what the car ought to do.

In the cockpit, the camera is no longer as steady as before. The view dips quite suddenly under extreme braking, there are more general vibration effects too. Each team has an individual wheel design this time around. A lot of people were commenting that they may change view to cockpit for F1 2011 because of the visceral feel now with it. It really is a treat, but also it provides feedback to your driving.

Wet weather – holy mother of god we better not get many wet races in the gaf champ. This is HARDCORE. I didn’t see one person staying on the track for a lap during a wet race who did not have traction control either on or at medium. Gone are the days of ‘easy’ wet races. This requires utmost skill to master. Also, this is where I think the biggest upgrade visually has come – it looks stunning. Spray comes from the tyres now instead of the car as a whole, water tread marks trail behind the cars – it looks beautiful, even on the 360 build that was being shown.

Pit animations are smoother and more deliberate. It’s a lot clearer knowing where the pit limiter is, both in and out. Marshalls actually wave flags now along with the standard notifications from before. You also have an indicator that tells you your expected position after exiting the pits – nice.

One area that took my by surprise was the level of tactics you can now do in the cockpit. For example, you can now use different fuel mixtures. So underfill your car before the race, you will have to do a stint with lean fuel. Got some to burn up or really want to gain track position? Give it more juice. And it does make a difference. This, with KERS and DRS (fully manual btw, you control these entirely!), means we will be a lot busier at the wheel now beyond racing.

The two things that impressed me the most is the sounds and the handling. Handling I have explained. The sounds are just so....realistic. Engines sound grittier, tyres sound great, there is air noise at high speeds - it just works beautifully. This for me is the biggest upgrade I experienced today.

Downers? Replays are still limited, no confirmation of 24 player for PC as of yet, and safety car is looking unlikely for this years product (all developers were cagey about this, so it’s no certain).

That’s it for tonight. Tomorrow I will list everyone’s questions and have answers alongside it, and Friday will post videos and pics. Put simply, F1 2011 is an entirely different, but much better beast to F1 2010. There is so much detail in the game now it’s stunning the work Codies have done in 10 months. Unfortunately it makes the wait now just unbearable.

This is the F1 game the sport this year deserves.

Lucius86

Banned
DieH@rd said:
Thanks for impressions. Its a bummer that SC is not confirmed.

It is - but I can honestly see what Codies are saying - if they implement something, they won't include it in the game unless it works right this time. They have a version of the SC working back at their base apparently, but they are unsure if it will be good enough for this year.

If they don't have time to implement it, then yeah I'd rather it not be there than ruin the experience for having a shoddy version in.

Sounds pretty damn good. Kind of hard to get exciting about a lot of that when written down, you need to experience for yourself I think. Disappointing about SC.

Don't be under any misconceptions, though Lucius, you are a massive loser for going. ;)

TylerD

Well that sounds like F1 2011 is awesome. If I get it I am going to have to upgrade my video card. The 4850 is not getting the job done anymore, duh.

Juicy Bob

Thanks a lot for that, Lucius! Glad you had a good time.

It seems they've really tried to nail the mechanical grip feeling this year, which is great news. I love the idea of the cars being twitchier as well as knowing you can now attack the kerbs properly and not avoid some of them like you mentioned. F1 2010 was a drug for me online and it seems that this year it'll be an even better experience with the handling and the tyres.

One thing I would like to ask you is did you have any chance to race with the AI at all? If so, how did appear to you compared to last year? I really enjoyed the way you could have some truly epic scraps with the AI in F1 2010, the only problem was they were just too slow even at Legend difficulty as well as inconsistent at different tracks. I'd love to see if they've tried to make them more of a challenge to race competitively in the slower cars.

Also, I am pretty annoyed that 'CodeMasters' have again failed to get the Safety Car to work. I enjoy the challenge of full-distance races offline and having the Safety Car element would make things far more intriguing for longer races, especially with Pirelli tyres this season. Do you stay out and keep track position on older tyres or do you pit and make your way back through the field with fresh rubber? Getting to Lap 50/58 and knowing you're 34 seconds behind P3 and have little to no chance of catching them before the end isn't the most exciting scenario - but knowing that a sudden Safety Car deployment would bunch the field up and put you right back in contention for the sprint to the line adds a whole new element of excitement to full races. Oh well. I would say 'maybe next year', but I don't actually believe that either.
I feel better now. Whine over.

Still sounds like it'll be a vast improvement over F1 2010, as long as they remember to do some pre-release bug testing of course...

Juicy Bob

Also, is it just me or is everyone over at Codemasters F1 2011 forum a complete idiot? Everytime I visit there some of the posts I read make me embarrassed to be an F1 fan...

Was there a good sized player base for PS3 F12010? I have a Driving Force GT wheel and plan on picking up 2011 for PS3 because of it.

Lucius86

Banned
Pizza Luigi said:
I sure hope I hear about Vettel's finger tomorrow, Lucius! (and if Bob is finally in there)

A teaser for the full answers to all questions later - I asked this in front of the entire audience in the Q&A - and the answer is yes, Vettel's finger is in! It got a few chuckles too.

AcridMeat

Banned
Lucius86 said:
A teaser for the full answers to all questions later - I asked this in front of the entire audience in the Q&A - and the answer is yes, Vettel's finger is in! It got a few chuckles too.

I'm sure Stop It muttered "dickhead stole my joke."

amar212

Sloane said:
Wow, again no safety car? Interest = Zero.

I don't know why this obsession?

I mean, I will the happiest man alive if they somehow manage to implement it, but I really do not see it coming.

Introducing a safety vehicle under current regulation, tire options, weather changes and need to have re-arranged grid during safety-car period, how many laps, pit strategy > I don't know, it would require hefty chunk of RAM to process and implement.

I am keeping very pesimistic, but will honor them if they pull it out.

Kyaw

Looks like Lucious sold me the game. Will get to play with the GAF.
and get dominated by Lucious.

Sloane

Banned
amar212 said:
It's just one of many reasons, really. Last year, previews sounded great too, but to me the final product was a disappointing mess with all those bugs and AI issues -- and I didn't like Codemasters' handling of the situation either. Maybe this year will be better but I'll remain cautious until the game is actually out.

Lucius86

Banned
Sloane said:
Wow, again no safety car? Interest = Zero.

Safety car has neither been confirmed nor denied as of yet, so don't give up hope. We will not know closer to release date if it is in. Right now, according to the devs, they are trying their best to get it in, but if it doesn't work right the way they want it to, they will exclude it from the game.

Kyaw said:
Looks like Lucious sold me the game. Will get to play with the GAF.
and get dominated by Lucious.

Helios, I expect payment directly into my bank account please.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Lucious a two questions:

1)Can you comment on how the spectator feature will function online? For example, can you hop into a lobby and start spectating from the get-go? Or do you have to participate in the race first and then if you wreck or quit, you can spectate?

2)Will there a lobby list for sprint races this time? That is the one thing I hate the most in F1 2010....want to race a quick race, but you're forced into some randomized room with unknown players. Has this been addressed?

Zeona

Neo Member
amar212 said:

It's about introducing to the game everything you associate with the safety car in F1: fluids, debris and wrecks on the track (reason for deployment), x-factor of when it is deployed and how teams/drivers get lucky with their pit strategy or not, the elimination of the (huge) gaps between cars and of course the restarts.

I was part of a focus group about F1 racing games a few years back and after 20 minutes or so we were asked which feature that is usually absent or implemented poorly we want to see introduced/improved most and it turned into an hour-long discussion about the safety car. Even when the woman who directed the discussion desperately tried to switch to her next topic people wouldn't stop going on and on about the safety car.

It might be difficult to implement but based on that experience I believe it is money/dev time well spent.

Lucius86

Banned
DieH@rd

Ask them about race conditions under SAFETY CAR:
- will the drive behind the SC car be automated or in player controls? Not known
- are they gonna replicate conditions when SC is leaving [race leader slowing the rest of the pack]? Not known
- heavy rain on start > start of the race behind SC? Not known
- heavy rain during race > red flag > pausing the race until better race conditions > change of tires. Not known
- crash on track > safety car > red flag > change of tires? Not known

Deim0s

-If they're going to fix the the "brake to stop slipping" trick - Yes, this has gone. The moment you start losing the car, you really must have fantastic reactions to recover.
-improved driving model? - Without a doubt. New suspension system for each wheel makes a monumental difference to how the car feels. You now feel more connected to the track, brakes lock up realistically, mistakes you make causing you to spin actually feel realistic.
-anything to satisfy sim racers? - The same driving aids are there from before, so if you turn them off you will get the most ‘sim’ feel. But unlike F1 2010, you really are fighting the car if you have fuel and tyre sim on. Primes on their first 2 laps without being bed in are ever so twitchy, you really do have to be careful with the throttle with TC off, and driving in the wet without driving aids require utmost skill.
-engineer being more dynamic? - Yes. Although I didn’t hear this, apparently the engineer will actually inform you of details like “what lap times you need to do to catch the guy in front”. He has also lost his annoying accent and as a whole is a lot more professional.It appears a lot of work has gone into it. Pit engineer is also present in online races.
-ai car crashes... No teleporting? - Not that I saw. You still ghost if you are stationary, but on our LAN gaming that is the only time we saw ghosting. Otherwise everything was full contact. During races, practices and quali, drivers are truly on the track setting times – there is a race director menu option that highlights key important times of when crashes happen, between who etc. It wasn’t complete in the build we played, but it definitely looks interesting. Q3 times are now present at last too!

Dilly

Damagemodel. - Same concept as before, but again major improvements. Tonnes of debris on the tracks during collisions, cars look like they have been in the real wars during crashes, I flipped a guy over whilst trialling out a FV vs. Lucius move – it was great. In regards to reliability, they are not like in GP4 where your engine will just randomly blow – this time, faults will occur if you drive in a particular way to damage the mechanical elements of the car. We couldn’t get much more out of the devs other than that, so my guess is that if you over-rev your engine, you will blow it up, and if you punish your brakes all race long they will fuck up.

FV

League support?- Nope, but possibly in F1 2012
Online replays? - Yes, but still limited unfortunately to the SP stuff. Fraps will continue to be our friend.
An option to prevent cars ghosting so we can have more competitive races? - Well, this is likely down to the netcode. No definitive answer, but on the LAN I didn’t notice any ghosting bar when someone was stationary on the track. No setting for this from what I saw.
Spectating after DNF/DSQ or crossing the line first rather than staring at that goddamn leaderboard? - YES. AT FUCKING LAST. When you join a session with a race in progress, you can’t join in racing til the next start, but you can spectate from all camera views the action of the current races. Same if you DNF of you just won. Camera views are a lot more varied and interesting this time round too.

HenryHSH

Speaking of replays, you should ask if we can switch between drivers during replay! Would be awesome for league race edits. - Yes you can now! Spectators can view from any driver. However, full on replays (like in Halo Reach) are not in, so someone will still have to Frap it real-time.

Pizza Luigi

Oh an Lucius, ask them two things. First, if they'll finally put my name in there as a voiceover (It's Bob, one of America's most common names (not that I'm American), so why the fuck is it not in there? - I have put the request in to the developers for both Luke and Bob!
Second, it has probably something to do with licensing issues, but the name of the normal driver is still on your own car in the career. For example, I was racing alongside Buemi in the Toro Rosso car, but Alguesari's name was still on it. It would actually add something to the experience if your own name would be plastered on it. - Missed this one – many apologies! :-(

Isamu

1)Can you comment on how the spectator feature will function online? For example, can you hop into a lobby and start spectating from the get-go? Or do you have to participate in the race first and then if you wreck or quit, you can spectate? – as stated above, yes you can. No need to wait around now.
2)Will there a lobby list for sprint races this time? That is the one thing I hate the most in F1 2010....want to race a quick race, but you're forced into some randomized room with unknown players. Has this been addressed? - Too late to answer this, sorry. Online is a lot more complete now though, so I would be surprised if this has been overlooked.

Lucius86

Other things I noticed which I didn’t write about yesterday…
• Garages are a lot more detailed. Sitting in the garage feels more alive than before, but not bustling. Also, the menu options switch sides depending on what side of the garage you are on
• Online co-op requires both people to be online at the same time, even during practice sessions.
• Split screen had a stable frame rate, for an early 360 build anyway.
• For the first few corners the rules are a lot less stringent, so you can get away with more bumps and passes than before whilst not getting penalised. They have also re-worked the rules system to be more fair, but 45 mins of gameplay doesn’t really tell you all too much about how I personally feel about it. We will have to wait and see.
• Car setup options are exactly the same as in F1 2010
• Each car handles massively different to each other. The Force India was an absolute bitch to drive as it had such massive understeer. Hopping into the Sauber felt like a totally different car. HRT was a lot of fun to drive too, if dog slow.
• When set to equal performance, all cars are set to the RBR. You cannot change this unfortunately so everyone is at, for example, at a Williams level car.

That’s it for now – anything else I realise later I forgot to include I will add to a future post.

Edit: Oh, and here's me next to my F1 2010 championship winning car...

1hxfrq.jpg

Angst

Awesome write-up lucius!

Does the F1 2010 feature cross-platform online? I guess not, but is there any word of 2011 featuring cross-platform online? PS3-PC for example.

NHale

Lucius86 said:
Safety car has neither been confirmed nor denied as of yet, so don't give up hope. We will not know closer to release date if it is in. Right now, according to the devs, they are trying their best to get it in, but if it doesn't work right the way they want it to, they will exclude it from the game.

They already exclude it from this year game, they just don't want to tell us. There is no way they are going to implement a complex feature like the safety car when the game is going gold in 4-5 weeks.

I'm getting tired of Codemasters PR tactics. Last year the excuse for everything was the license, then the blatant lies about DiRT3 and now is the fact that they don't have the balls to clearly say "Safety Car will not be included but we will try to implement it in F1 2012".

Lucius86

Banned
Angst said:
Awesome write-up lucious!

Does the F1 2010 feature cross-platform online? I guess not, but is there any word of 2011 featuring cross-platform online? PS3-PC for example.

It hasn't been mentioned as of yet, and considering how much of a boon that would be for Codies, I doubt it is in.

NHale said:
They already exclude it from this year game, they just don't want to tell us. There is no way they are going to implement a complex feature like the safety car when the game is going gold in 4-5 weeks.

I'm getting tired of Codemasters PR tactics. Last year the excuse for everything was the license, then the blatant lies about DiRT3 and now is the fact that they don't have the balls to clearly say "Safety Car will not be included but we will try to implement it in F1 2012".

It's not like they are starting from scratch. They have a version of the SC in the game right now that they themselves are testing. Again, I'm not optimistic, but I did get the impression from speaking to numerous developers that they are desperate to get it in too. But they just don't know. It was the same thing from each member's mouth - so either they all had a group session and said "yeah, lets lie about the SC not being in now", or they are being truthful and open. They got slack for the way they handled certain issues in F1 2010. You can tell just by their enthusiasm for this game that the development team were somewhat...embarrassed by some of these issues with 2010. It's clear they don't want to make the same mistake again.

HeliosT10

Lucius86 said:

Helios, I expect payment directly into my bank account please.

And here's me thinking you were saying those things because you really liked F1 2011, you're just after my monies aren't you ;)

HeliosT10

Angst said:
Awesome write-up lucius!

No cross platform online for F1 2011 I'm afraid, something to look into for future iterations perhaps? Is it really that much of a big deal to most people you think?

FGMPR

Banned
Has anyone played F1 2010 in with 3D Vision? I'm assuming there is no native support (perhaps for 2011?... please), but does anyone know whether it works well regardless?

Angst

Helios_CM said:
No cross platform online for F1 2011 I'm afraid, something to look into for future iterations perhaps? Is it really that much of a big deal to most people you think?
I don't know about most people, but it would certainly make it easier to organize full grid online events for me.

Lucius86

Banned
tipped said:
Do we have any idea what platform is lead?

Were all the consoles at the event X360s?

Yes they were all 360 units. I would assume it's a 360 lead, but that's only by guesswork.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Helios_CM said:
And here's me thinking you were saying those things because you really liked F1 2011, you're just after my monies aren't you ;)
Heh, I was wondering what that cheque looking item was that you passed him! :p

I kid

Currently at work but will post detailed impressions later, although Lucius has stole most (but not all) of my thunder!

Lucius86

Banned
Satanic Saint said:
Can anyone post some impressions on the handheld versions. I can't imagine playing f1 on the go.

I didn't see it present at the event, sorry.

Helios_CM said:
Did anyone here who went to the event have a go on the 3DS version? I saw a couple of 3DS's in peoples hands who were trying it out.

Bugger, missed it.

Top Bottom