• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Candy Swap Summer 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dai101

Banned
CF_Fighter said:
How long does a package take to ship from Germany to the US?

Well, i'm from the US but i'm going to answer if you don't mind.

I took my candy to the local post office in monday 25, my swap partner receive it by the next monday (August 1) so one week in "natural days" and five "workdays"

CF_Fighter said:
I dispatched my package via DHL to Ghal. I dispatched it last week Tuesday. He haven't got it yet :/ I hope it will come tomorrow :/. Otherwise it could be longer because of the weight(~16kg)

Dai101

Banned
Hypertrooper said:
I dispatched my package via DHL to Ghal. I dispatched it last week Tuesday. He haven't got it yet :/ I hope it will come tomorrow :/. Otherwise it could be longer because of the weight(~16kg)

Stupid DHL ...... i hate them so much

GhaleonEB

Dai101 said:
Stupid DHL ...... i hate them so much
They're the only shipping company I've ever had issues with.

The tracking site says it's still en route to the destination country, which has been the status since the 26th. Hopefully it arrives early next week. I'm going nuts seeing all these pics. \

*drool*

1stStrike

Banned
I'm so mad I missed this again this year. I really wanted to do a candy swap with someone D:

Especially someone from South Korea or Japan. I spent a year in South Korea and they have some really cool sweets over there.

Davedough

You know... since I missed out on this event, I find myself thinking about this thread daily as I once again recall just how jelly I am.

But, while I was thinking of this thread, something occurred to me. In October, we gluttonous Americans partake in a holiday some of you may know as Halloween. There are massive amounts of candy on sale in preparation for the children that come around door to door begging for treats.

My point is, a Fall candy swap could garner a huge return for people outside the US from the normal agreed amount to spend. During Halloween and Easter, candy is everywhere and very cheap. There could be some quite impressive hauls being shipped all over the world. Couple that with cooler weather preventing the melting mishaps...

... just sayin =)

Coins

Banned
Before partners are made for the next one, people should buy candy FIRST, and send pics and reciept to the organizer so there arent mismatched partners.

Or something along those lines.

GhaleonEB

Coins said:
Before partners are made for the next one, people should buy candy FIRST, and send pics and reciept to the organizer so there arent mismatched partners.

The expectation has always been $20 in candy, and partners align on any changes to that expectation. Though perhaps another category can be added to the preferences, a dollar range.

CF_Fighter said:

... I'm not sure to be honest, but anything less than 2 weeks is a bit optimistic I would think.

Click this link

If it doesn't work try www.dhl.de/sendungsverfolgung
And your tracking number 350008102788
(same thing as above but you need to put the code in)

According to the info it definitely left EU by the 26th of July, I would hope it gets to you next week.

Coins said:

Also, "Quantity" versus "Quality", I got less than I would have expected because my swapper treated me to fancy stuff - but I am "greedy" : )

Nyrad said:
@TurbulentTurtle argh! the lemon candy! yellow hard candy in a lemon themed packaging that tastes like salt! guess i got punked ;D

but there is really awesome other stuff here, the cinamon chocolate is just great and so many other awesome jelly stuff. thanks again man! :)
Heh, I'm just glad you got the stuff, I was more worried about you getting the package (intact) than me actually getting my box of stuff.
I talked to my mom who got your package and apparently customs ripped right into the box, to the point where my mom was able to reach in and grab candy out of it =( Hopefully nothing is missing from the box and I get to experience Austrian-goodness. I hope you're enjoying the candy ;)
As for the lemon-themed candy, the lady at the candy shop was like, oh yeah this lemon stuff is salty, so I decided to toss that in there :p

I hope it's okay that I sent random non-candy things too, like that pig cell phone strap thing and the egg with random stuff in it.

Gemüsestäbchen said:
... I'm not sure to be honest, but anything less than 2 weeks is a bit optimistic I would think.

Click this link

If it doesn't work try www.dhl.de/sendungsverfolgung
And your tracking number 350008102788
(same thing as above but you need to put the code in)

According to the info it definitely left EU by the 26th of July, I would hope it gets to you next week.

Wow, thanks for that info.

Nyrad

TurbulentTurtle said:
I hope it's okay that I sent random non-candy things too, like that pig cell phone strap thing and the egg with random stuff in it.

It's very cool that you put so many different things in there! I didn't open the egg yet ;). Bad to hear that they opened the package i just hope there isn't much missing. Please post a picture after you'r back in canada.

J. M. Romeo said:
I will make a video when I get the box and open it/sample stuff!
J. M. Romeo said:
Maybe I'll have a video ready tonight.
J. M. Romeo said:
I'll try to edit the video this week.
You're a lying liar who tells lies. :(

j/k. I want to see someone's reaction to eating a Twinkie for the first time! I was raised by hippies and I distinctly remember finally eating my first one. I think my eyes rolled back in my head and I nearly fainted.

I dunno what to do. My partner and I initially communicated as to what we liked or didn't like. It was time to buy candy, so I did. Sent a PM to get the details on where I was gonna ship to and haven't heard back. It's been almost a week.

Woo! Finally received my stash from New Zealand, courtesy of catmincer! Check it out:

wsqwo.jpg

Super stoked to try everything. Already opened the snowballs -- yuummmm!!

I must say this whole experience was really enjoyable and I honestly hope we do another one soon! :)

GhaleonEB

Gemüsestäbchen said:
No probs, DHL is really slow and crap, so I'm sorry you've had to wait so long.
Aye, DHL is terrible. Had a run in with them a few years ago where they had clearly dropped the package - the corner was smashed in - and the contents were smashed and broken on that same corner. They refused to accept any responsibility, said it was our fault (!!) even though that's how it arrived.

I also have a package in transit from DHL from Germany, and it's been in transit since the 26th. So it's not just his that they're sitting on. I'll get there eventually, hopefully this week.

akira28

Damn I'm jealous. If ya'll decide to do a fall candy swap, I'm in. I'm a candyologist, situated on the eastern side of the continental United States. My favorite subject is gummies, though I enjoy the experience of chocolates and fruit jellies as well. I'm willing to go the distance for American candy requests, I can even hit the bulk mart for some choice selections.

Kafel

Banned
I'm a bit late but I've received Shiv47's candy last week !

IMG_0880.jpg

There's already not much left from the package. Friends came over. : (

IMG_0881.jpg

IMG_0882.jpg

Fortunately I've been able to distribute some mints though. : D

IMG_0883.jpg

Thx Shiv47 !

GhaleonEB

Just got a call from my wife that the candy has arrived. I'll get home in about three hours to check it out. (DHL's tracking site still says it's on the way to this country; great system, there, guys.)

The kids are freaking out. The box is so heavy they can't lift it. 0_o

luiztfc

The_Technomancer said:
Candy is here!
l4NbG.jpg

Thanks Luiztfc! Now that I have a better feel for how these swaps go, I'll be sending more candy next time.

Nice, I hope you enjoy them!

And what a coincidence, my mother just called me and said that your candies have arrived as well! Can't wait to get home and taste the sweetness! And I'll definitely post pictures later.

GhaleonEB

The box has arrived. I could fit both of my children in it, with a bit of squeezing. The post office had to take it out from behind the counter in a dolly.

IMG_5709.jpg

Cracking the case.

IMG_5710.jpg

OMG

IMG_5712.jpg

OMG x 10

IMG_5714.jpg

Haribo overload. I'm in heaven.

IMG_5715.jpg

Chocolate overload. My wife is in heaven.

IMG_5716.jpg

A whole bunch of yummy looking cookies and candy and lollis and habbidyaybb..........

IMG_5719.jpg

Happy kids are happy.

IMG_5718.jpg

Next stop:

diabeetuscat.jpg

I can't thank you enough, Hypertrooper. Some fine meals are on me at PAX in a few weeks. You went above and beyond, good sir.

I have to look for the receipt, but if I remember right, the cost of chocolate > the cost of the Haribo bags.

Now enjoy it.

Because of the last pic I feel like the bad guy. lol.

GhaleonEB

Hypertrooper said:
I have to look for the receipt, but if I remember right, the cost of chocolate > the cost of the Haribo bags.

Now enjoy it.

Because of the last pic I feel like the bad guy. lol.
The pic was a joke - we'll dole this out over a few months time, and we're already planning on sending some to family. I'm making a bag to take to work, where we have a team candy jar.

Spreading the love. <3

mblitek

Pictures coming soon but I was too damn excited to remember the camera as I opened the box. Oh magnificent candy, snacks, cereal and drinks (!).

I have 898 to thank! He bravely sent what looked like two glass bottles of beer but it was better, glass beer shaped bottles of a Peach drink and Root Beer float flavoured. I also got quite possibly the best tasting popcorn which I'll show later. Oh man, this made my month!

Pictures coming soon!

luiztfc

Thanks The_Technomancer for the Candies!

DSC_1626v.png

DSC_1628v.png

So far, I've eaten Kitty Kat, Butterfinger, 100 Grand and Mild Duds, all very good (specially Kitty Kat and Butterfinger)!

I also really enjoyed the Chocolate in the top right (I don't know how to name them).

Also, thanks J. M. Romeo, looking forward to the next Candy Swap.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
luiztfc said:
Thanks The_Technomancer for the Candies!

So far, I've eaten Kitty Kat, Butterfinger, 100 Grand and Mild Duds, all very good (specially Kitty Kat and Butterfinger)!

I also really enjoyed the Chocolate in the top right (I don't know how to name them).

Also, thanks J. M. Romeo, looking forward to the next Candy Swap.
Yeaaaaaah, I shoulda sent more :( I spent a fair amount of money on the bagged candies at a specialty store though, and I'm not sure if it was worth it.
Glad you're enjoying it though!

Ryaaan14

Banned
Finally received my candy from LeaveItAlone. And I gotta say, my partner's username is kind of ironic because of what ended up happening with my package...

I discovered some unwelcome guests inside the box. (about a hundred of them under all the candy)

Not angry with my partner, but incredibly disappointed because not only am I not comfortable eating the candy, but I am going to have kill this box with fire. :_(

Thanks anyway LeaveItAlone.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I just had an idea actually, I tossed the box in a sealed bag and put it in the freezer to kill the ant herd. After a few days I'll carefully remove the candy and carefully inspect everything to see what I can salvage. Will definitely wash it all off too.

Ryaaan14 said:
I just had an idea actually, I tossed the box in a sealed bag and put it in the freezer to kill the ant herd. After a few days I'll carefully remove the candy and carefully inspect everything to see what I can salvage. Will definitely wash it all off too.
That really sucks, but are there any small holes? It could be that the ants didn't come from your Candy swap partner. Still it sucks :/

Ryaaan14

Banned
Hypertrooper said:
That really sucks, but are there any small holes? It could be that the ants didn't come from your Candy swap partner. Still it sucks :/
The ants obviously weren't packed into the box, especially since they are very much alive. But unfortunately the box the candy was in had a lot of slits where tabs secured the box, and the cardboard shifted during shipping, making them even larger. A traditional box would have solved the problem here, or perhaps just a tied bag around the candy.

LeaveItAlone

Neo Member
Oh no!

Not only did that package take three times as long as the post office told me it would, it is all alive!

Let me know how you get on with the salvage and PM me any of the contents that you liked or didn't get to try because of the ant invasion and I will send over Candy Swap Part 2 to make amends!

This time I will store the candy in the middle of a carton of Raid. And then vacuum pack it. And maybe subject it to low level radiation. But I'll still send more candy!

Ryaaan14

Banned
LeaveItAlone said:
Oh no!

Not only did that package take three times as long as the post office told me it would, it is all alive!

Let me know how you get on with the salvage and PM me any of the contents that you liked or didn't get to try because of the ant invasion and I will send over Candy Swap Part 2 to make amends!

This time I will store the candy in the middle of a carton of Raid. And then vacuum pack it. And maybe subject it to low level radiation. But I'll still send more candy!
If it makes you feel any better, I think the ants LOVED your selection. :_P

LeaveItAlone

Neo Member
mblitek said:
Haha, if you like Milk chocolate the Cadbury Flake is sooo good :)
At least it was good at the beginning.

Flake -> Ants -> Freezer -> Water -> Not Flake any more.

Most of the stuff was sealed so should be ok but the ants will have crawled into the Flake and maybe the Creme Eggs.

ili0926

candy.jpg

Thanks SteveWinwood! Unfortunately I'm in Korea right now and had him send it to my home in Canada, so I won't be able to post any impressions as of yet (the picture was taken and sent by my mom). Can't wait!

Hope you enjoy yours and sorry again for all the delays =(=(

Big thanks to J.M. Romeo for organizing this event and look forward to participating again in the future!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom