• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FarCry 3 - New Screenshots & Concept Arts

-BLITZ-

JSYK3.jpg

Screens
hdOZB.jpg

GakGr.jpg

rSDvc.jpg

vpR3O.jpg

J20o9.jpg

FGLBW.jpg

PCjNy.jpg

Concept Arts
PgS3m.jpg

SDoul.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm still bummed they went for another fucking tropical jungle. Setting Far Cry 2 in Africa, somewhere uncommon for games, really contributed to my enjoyment. There's really nothing appealing at all about these environments.

Still, I enjoyed Far Cry 2 enough to keep my eye on this one, in hopes it delivers a similar sandbox experience.

Chinner

Banned
okay im going to be negative nancy here, but did anyone else think that the whole "do you know what the definition of insanity is?" was pretentious as fuck? also, i really liked the first half of the E3 demo, not so much the second half.

EatChildren said:
I'm still bummed they went for another fucking tropical jungle. Setting Far Cry 2 in Africa, somewhere uncommon for games, really contributed to my enjoyment. There's really nothing appealing at all about these environments.

Then where would you set it? The fricken moon?

Chinner said:
okay im going to be negative nancy here, but did anyone else think that the whole "do you know what the definition of insanity is?" was pretentious as fuck? also, i really liked the first half of the E3 demo, not so much the second half.

At least it got you to remember something about the demo. I remember that part and that is about it. Without that, I don't think I would have remembered the game was in development at all.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Annoyed by first dude's irises not aligning with the center of his pupils.

Edit: Annoyed by first dude's secondary irises not aligning with the center of his pupils.

Chinner said:
okay im going to be negative nancy here, but did anyone else think that the whole "do you know what the definition of insanity is?" .

He 's insane, that's how insane ppl are. I think the dialogue suits the character

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
spiderman123 said:
Chinner said:
okay im going to be negative nancy here, but did anyone else think that the whole "do you know what the definition of insanity is?" was Local environmental agency officials shot dead the bear and her three small cubs. They explained that if the cubs had tasted human flesh they might attack people again in the future, and thus had to be destroyed. as fuck? also, i really liked the first half of the E3 demo, not so much the second half.

He 's insane, that's how insane ppl are. I think the dialogue suits the character

What.

Edit: The dead bloke in the third image has a face a lot like that of a Mii.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
TheVampire said:
Then where would you set it? The fricken moon?

Serbia, Alaska, or Africa again. There's plenty of places in the world with interesting topography and biomes that are underused in gaming.

daviyoung said:
Thread cross-pollination. You've created a monster.

I know I feel bad now. Wait no I don't SMOKEY DAVE WAS RIGHT ABOUT CHINNER !! But not to derail the thread. These screen shots aren't really new IMO. Just the same shit they pulled off the trailer

NBtoaster

That compression, ugh

EatChildren said:

They're pretty?

-BLITZ-

UnluckyKate said:
More like " New screens of Photoshop " am i rite ?

The same as they did with Far Cry 2 first screens leaked. I wished FC2 to look like :(

So what we see now here will not look like this in the final stages.

Chinner said:

"do you know what the definition of pretentious is?"

I like the fact that they used that insanity bit because it is a common untruth.

EatChildren said:
Serbia, Alaska, or Africa again. There's plenty of places in the world with interesting topography and biomes that are underused in gaming.

So instead of a tropical forest, you want an arctic one? I think what they are trying to do is create places you can hide and deal with foes that are somewhat plausible.

You send people to freezing cold areas, that don't have many hiding spots, makes swimming impractical. Then you are going to have to create an enemy menacing enough, who is smart enough to buy high grade military weapons, but dumb enough not to invest in any heat sensing technology.

I would welcome africa again, but only if they manage to create an environment which includes regular people and areas. The everyone is out to kill you stuff got old really fast.

Yeah, I would have loved to see a Far Cry set in environments ranging from frozen wastelands to arctic tundra and deep taiga. But as usual with Ubi, they go in the opposite direction of what I want.

EatChildren

staticneuron said:
So instead of a tropical forest, you want an arctic one? I think what they are trying to do is create places you can hide and deal with foes that are somewhat plausible.

You send people to freezing cold areas, that don't have many hiding spots, makes swimming impractical. Then you are going to have to create an enemy menacing enough, who is smart enough to buy high grade military weapons, but dumb enough not to invest in any heat sensing technology.

I would welcome africa again, but only if they manage to create an environment which includes regular people and areas. The everyone is out to kill you stuff got old really fast.

I dont really care about all that much about the intricate real world practicalities. I care about interesting and unique video game environments.

Far Cry 3 looks fine, but it looks fine in the same sense that every jungle game of its ilk looks fine. The problem with games like Far Cry, Crysis and what have you is that a significant portion of the world art is built directly from real world topography and ferna. Developers are free to create their own 'world' so to speak, in layout and set pieces, but a significant portion of the environment art will look almost point-to-point identical to other games using the same setting. They went with the 'island paradise' setting, so they're forced to stick to natural ferna, colours and styles associated with that settting, which unavoidably creates the similarities. It looks like Far Cry, Crysis, Uncharted, and every other game that has had a lush tropical jungle setting. As said, fine by its own merits, but hardly anything interesting.

Again, a huge part of what attracted me to Far Cry 2 was that the African topography was largely unique to the medium, and artistically executed exceptionally well. They created an ambience and mood I associated with humid African planes, and I cant think of any other game that has managed accomplish the same thing. Far Cry 2's setting might be based on 'real world', but its a setting rarely used and thus has a unique charm. Far Cry 3, on the other hand, uses the tropical island paradise that I've seen and played many times over in other games.

I would have liked Far Cry 3 to follow in similar footsteps to Far Cry 2 and be built around a geographical style rarely used in games. The team did such a fabulous job of nailing Africa I would have liked them to flex similar artistic muscle elsewhere. Instead we get something rather samey, and as a consiquence I'm unfortunately less attracted to the visual style.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
EatChildren said:

Still, I enjoyed Far Cry 2 enough to keep my eye on this one, in hopes it delivers a similar sandbox experience.
I like FC2, but it's very...brown. I know it's Africa, but Africa has more color than FC2 has. It's due to the muted color palette or something. I'm actually loooking forward to the greenery of the jungle at this point.

However, I know most people didn't like the "Island of Dr. Moreau" feel of FC1, but I liked that there were creatures and a story that was a bit fantastical. FC2 is more political, and dry. It just felt odd calling it Far Cry, though the game itself is good enough it its own right.

I'd like to see more games set in a coniferous/deciduous forest mix, like Alan Wake was. Enough palm trees and stuff like that. Bring on the good ol' forests of the northern climates. We've had a ton of games (it seems anyway) in tropical settings, but not enough in milder environs.

EatChildren said:
I would have liked Far Cry 3 to follow in similar footsteps to Far Cry 2 and be built around a geographical style rarely used in games. The team did such a fabulous job of nailing Africa I would have liked them to flex similar artistic muscle elsewhere. Instead we get something rather samey, and as a consiquence I'm unfortunately less attracted to the visual style.

Well put! I see where you are coming from in terms of environment. What I am picking up though is that you wouldn't mind if they pushed the fiction envelope like crytek did with the first one. If ubi took that route, I could easily see them visiting more unique locations.

EDIT:
well, well
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far_Cry_3
However, Patrick Redding, a Ubisoft story designer, mentioned that an Antarctic setting is a possibility for future games

-BLITZ-

AltogetherAndrews said:
But that's what Far Cry 2 looks like

That is how FC2 looked like in his first stages; beta maybe; E3 first demo environment gameplay from what I remember.

THIS, is what I get everyday.
http://i.imgur.com/rMRJo.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/fnegU.jpg
I really admire FC2 and I still have the game in my PC, but sometimes the world doesn't spin with three or four colors only. Everytime I play around at the hours when the sun goes down, I have only 2 colors blue-light and dark violet with no clouds. If you see the beta pics, you can notice that, there more colors on the sky landscape. They took out many of those effects and colors. Although I like a lot when starts to rain and foggy.

legacyzero

Banned
I seriously hope this is not the only media we get for Far Cry 3 during this show. This is my most anticipated game coming up.

I'm certainly praying for more footage/more information.

-BLITZ- said:
That is how FC2 looked like in his first stages; beta maybe; E3 first demo environment gameplay from what I remember.

THIS, is what I get everyday.
http://i.imgur.com/rMRJo.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/fnegU.jpg
I really admire FC2 and I still have the game in my PC, but sometimes the world doesn't spin with three or four colors only. Everytime I play around at the hours when the sun goes down, I have only 2 colors blue-light and dark violet with no clouds. If you see the beta pics, you can notice that, there more colors on the sky landscape. They took out many of those effects and colors. Although I like a lot when starts to rain and foggy.

My Far Cry 2 doesn't look like your Far Cry 2...

fc2_0055.jpg

And then it looks completely different in the valleys, and the river areas. I'll agree with that the skies have never impressed me, but that's about the only difference I can spot.

Looks great.

I understand what you're saying, EatChildren, but personally I haven't played too many games set in tropical locations so I'm not burned out yet.

Dennis

Banned
Looks remarkably like the beginning of Crysis.

But still, it looks much better than FarCry 2 which was mostly hideous.

AndyD

aka andydumi
CozMick said:
More infinitely respawning enemy checkpoints please!

LOL. If they had a different timer on the re-spawns the second game would have been amazing. As is it was just OK.

-BLITZ-

I played on Very High settings ones, but now I have to turn the shadow to medium in order to play it normal (flickering shadow - my PC is getting old >_>). I really miss playing the game having like in right side of your picture. Indeed all my point of this is of what you just said; not so impressed either.

x3sphere

I'm not digging the graphics at all. Why does everything look so plastic? FC2 had the same issue. Admittedly this does look better though.

Yeah I'm actually replaying Far Cry 2 and, as much as I still love it, the respawning check points and the random crazy people driving around do get to be pretty annoying.

I just hope they don't throw the baby out with the bathwater this time around, in terms of making the missions more linear and more scripted. That would be a god damned shame.

Clevinger

the villain looks silly, but other than that the game looks amazing

Neuromancer said:
I just hope they don't throw the baby out with the bathwater this time around, in terms of making the missions more linear and more scripted. That would be a god damned shame.

In one of the demonstrations, the lead designer says they're trying to facilitate more ways to handle each area/situation.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Glad it's a jungle again!

To those who have poor taste and dislike green canopies, rolling hills, cliffs and dense forests: Maybe this time around, the second 'world' won't be a copy-paste of the first and we can see some variety! Because FC2, despite being in a 'new' brown environment, was anything but fresh.

mclaren777

I'm disappointed that Crytek didn't announce Crysis for the PS3 at Gamescom so I'm extra excited for this game now.

bengraven

EatChildren said:

This, all the way. I think you're the only one who agrees with me on this.

I am so sick of jungle. Africa is such a huge continent and we had plenty of story available there.

Personally I was hoping for some kind of wintry area, since I love snow. But, what can you do. I guess there are only so many places where a game like Far Cry can really work.

Top Bottom