• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection's new SH2 voices revealed

Backfoggen said:
Lmao who thought that would be a good screenshot to publish.
http://i.imgur.com/DiUzl.jpg
Look at dem windows.
Wait, what?! Guess it wasn't just bad timing.

Ugh, why do they keep doing this?! Release decent screenshots, konami... Geez.

RadioHeadAche said:
I'm waiting for Heather to climb in and explore that low-res tree room.
I think she's already in one! I mean, I think those are trees in the clay pots back there.

RadioHeadAche said:
Is it certain those are from the HD collection and not someone fucking around with the PC port?

It says Silent Hill HD Edition under the screenshots. The SH2 screens look fine

EC6vn.jpg

AKggN.jpg

Mengetsu

Backfoggen said:
Lmao who thought that would be a good screenshot to publish.

Look at dem windows.

Good old PS2...you always knew how to fool me with your window views in games..your paper looking backgrounds that I could see from a distance enough to think you were real. Ahh memories.

jett

D-Member
Now where's the guy that was complaining about lack of AA in the MGS thread? He should get over here. :lol

RadioHeadAche said:
Those SH2 screens looker better, but not by much. That water looks worse than I remember it being.

It seems to be the same

sh2_screen011.jpg

I think SH2 looks like you'd expect it to look in HD. The only difference is that they seem to have the grain filter turned off in those screens.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
This SH3 shot seems decent:

e7xnvn.jpg

To be honest, both games can pass as current gen games. :p

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That has to be a mistake. There's no way they would release SH3 looking like that. Completely missing half the scene?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
wait... whats going on here? who here did that fake diner picture?

jett

D-Member
SolidSnakex said:
It seems to be the same

sh2_screen011.jpg

I think SH2 looks like you'd expect it to look in HD. The only difference is that they seem to have the grain filter turned off in those screens.

It's not the same at all, the flashlight effect is non-existent.

Oh Clown Konami, fallen stalwart gent
with a nose bulbous and awkward bent

Ham in fist, pie in face, your act would be comedic
lest fond remembrance does render it tragic

izakq

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is the sidestory "Born from a Wish" from the SH2 special editions going to be included?

Lime

And the SH2 shots have no lens flare, which is why the flash light shows no light. If we compare to PC once again:

AKggN.jpg

sh2pc2011-04-2320-21-1o7s5.png

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Melchiah said:
The jaggies are hurting my eyes. I don't remember SH3 being that ridden with jaggies when I played it on PS3 a while ago.
The PS3 version is much more jaggy than that, I'm afraid.

Lime said:
Let's compare to the PC version:
I don't know if I can really make any real judgement call. I mean, the screens that were just put out are obviously missing elements that the pc version has. I really have to wonder why these were released. Does anyone know what the article on the site says? Maybe it could give some context to these images that we're missing.
Or not.

the heather scene is clearly a bug but the others don't look especially good either, they seem to miss some effects (not just the grain filter)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Hey, I'll still buy it. I hope I'm not the only one here who's buying it.

Lime

jett said:
PC is seemingly missing some shadowing effects of the PS2 version in SH3.

Emotion Engine > $5000 PC, Master Racists am cry

Shadows effects are included. I just selected a shot where the truck/car outside the window blocks the light, to be more lenient on the released Collection shots. The shadow effects on PC look like this:

sh32011-08-2517-22-55-gubv.png

sh32011-08-2517-22-49-8um3.png

jett

D-Member
Lime said:
Shadows effects are included. I just selected a shot where the truck/car outside the window blocks the light, to be more lenient on the released Collection shots. The shadow effects on PC look like this:

I was only joking, but cool. Definitive version confirmed.

legacyzero

Banned
Guy Cihi (The original Voice Actor for James.) just released an open statement about the new voiceovers
http://www.facebook.com/notes/guy-c...i-digital-entertainment-inc/10150291872944259

Guy Cihi said:
[There has been a great deal of discussion and speculation about the decision to recast the voice acting for the forthcoming Silent Hill 2 re-release. Certain comments and accusations have been made and the situation has become a mess. I issue this statement with hope that it will help set things right.]

To Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc.

Amazing as it may seem, neither I nor to my knowledge any of the other voice actors involved in the creation of Silent Hill 2 received written agreements for our work. All I have is a verbal agreement based on the various negotiations that took place between me and Konami’s representatives. I was told that I would receive a written contract but I never did. I invite anyone claiming the existence of a contract to produce a copy of it. My verbal agreements with Konami management covered the release of SH2 on the PlayStation 2 consoles. No other console releases were discussed between us, and none was agreed to.

Californian law which, under the circumstances, governs the agreement between Konami and me provides that voice actors in videogames retain all rights for reproductions and re-uses of their vocal recordings and motion-capture work unless the artist specifically conveys those rights to a second party. The implications ought to be clear enough regarding the releases and reuses of my performances on consoles other than PlayStation 2. Obviously Konami’s legal department agreed with the strength of my position or they would not have supported the significant expense undertaken to rerecord voices in advance of the HD collection re-release. It would have been much easier if someone responsible at Konami had simply talked to me and sought to resolve this amicably.

Recently some things have been said by people acting as if they are part of the Konami organization, for example, that an attempt was made to reach out to me to help get things straightened out. This isn’t true. After the production work wrapped, only one person connected to Konami has ever attempted contact me and that was Michael Ranja, Director of Licensing at Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc. in California. On October 6, 2010 Mr. Ranja sent me the following message: “Per the voice acting done for the videogame Silent Hill 2 (your role as James Sunderland), I understand that in the past it was agreed that Konami would purchase and own all rights to the voice acting. As we don’t have paperwork for this, would it be possible for you to fill out the attachment and email or fax back to me?” His second email, and the last time I have ever heard from Konami, was on October 22, 2010 when Mr. Ranja replied to my email saying that he would do his best to contact me again shortly regarding a settlement.

Let me be clear about something: my problem with Konami has never been about money. It’s always been about the thoughtless way that those involved in the production have been treated. The reuse of my material without asking me and without having a written agreement that provides for it is one example. Another example is how my contributions to the game, and my face, were purposefully erased from the ‘making of’ video. Why was that done? These are some of the issues I asked Konami to settle with me on before making any new agreements. To this day Konami has never offered any explanation.

Like everyone else, I feel it is a real shame we have come to this point. The original cast, writers, and directors of Silent Hill 2 all felt we were making something great, but I don’t think any of us realized just how successful and respected it would become. I am eternally grateful to have been selected by Team Silent to portray James Sunderland. I am equally grateful to the dedicated SH2 fans who enlightened me to fact that SH2 is much more than just an intellectual property to be bought, sold and repackaged.

After thinking it through carefully I have come to realize that I am unwilling to be part of any legal barrier or excuse which prevents a new generation from experiencing Silent Hill 2 the way the original Team Silent created it. The only way to do this appears to be for me to relinquish all my rights to Konami and so I hereby completely waive all rights to my motion capture and vocal performances in the Silent Hill 2 production without demand for additional consideration. Have your lawyer send me the proper documents required so that we can put this fiasco behind us.

I call on Konami to release the HD versions of SH2, and all subsequent re-releases, with the original vocal tracks intact. If you desire, I welcome you to include the new vocal tracks so that fans can choose which version they prefer.

Sincerely,

Guy Cihi

August 2011

I hate that he is just gonna let Konami do this. But if it keeps the games original, then I respect Guy's decision. He's all about the game, and that's what truly matters.

Deegon

Banned
legacyzero said:
open-letter-to-konami

Holy shit, someone needs to link that to Hulett stat!

legacyzero said:
I hate that he is just gonna let Konami do this. But if it keeps the games original, then I respect Guy's decision. He's all about the game, and that's what truly matters.

I do too. I can't give Guy enough props for doing this though.

Melchiah

legacyzero said:
Guy Cihi (The original Voice Actor for James.) just released an open statement about the new voiceovers
http://www.facebook.com/notes/guy-c...i-digital-entertainment-inc/10150291872944259

My verbal agreements with Konami management covered the release of SH2 on the PlayStation 2 consoles. No other console releases were discussed between us, and none was agreed to.

Then why didn't he made a similar ruckus when SH2 was released on Xbox and PC?

Good thing he's now "allowed" people to enjoy the original version of SH2, but I think it's all too late, and I can't help but think this is just a way to save face, after the recent articles about the subject.

legacyzero

Banned
Melchiah said:
Then why didn't he made a similar ruckus when SH2 was released on Xbox and PC?

Good thing he's now "allowed" people to enjoy the original version of SH2, but I think it's all too late, and I can't help but think this is just a way to save face, after the recent articles about the subject.

It's not Guy's fault. Guy has just been asking for some kind of residuals for the constant re-release of the game. At that point Konami was like "fuck you Guy" and just starting re-recording anyway.

Here is a decent video with some good quoted from Cihi.
http://www.youtube.com/twinperfectchannel#p/u/3/TRtrO-eSwVw

good to see Cihi is backing down. i don't know how anyone can read 'verbal agreement' and not go 'uhoh', though. bit naive on his part if it really was just a verbal agreement.

hopefully now, yes, we can have both soundtracks to choose from. those of us that think the original voices are bad can see if the new ones are any better, and those that don't want the voices changed can have their old silent hill voice acting.

R1CHO

Is possible to buy the pc versions somewhere? I mean, digital distribution.

Homecoming is in steam i think, but not in europe... which is already a weird thing.

Top Bottom