• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection's new SH2 voices revealed

MechaX

plagiarize said:
good to see Cihi is backing down. i don't know how anyone can read 'verbal agreement' and not go 'uhoh', though. bit naive on his part if it really was just a verbal agreement.

Verbal agreements are made (and enforced) more often than what most people realize. But when dealing with corporations, it almost always ends up badly, especially when it inevitably turns into "He said that? We meant this..." after the fact. I can totally believe that Konami did make that kind of agreement with Cihi and now they are kinda backpedaling (since either the person who made the agreement at SH2's release was misinformed of the law or giving residuals for motion capture work is something that just doesn't happen these days compared to a decade or more prior).

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
PetriP-TNT said:
Stupid SH4 head is one of the main reasons I will never finish it. Fuuuuckkkk yooooouuuu heaaaaaad

People always tend to favor the large head over the more amazing and awesome burping nurses in the same area of the game -_-

chandoog said:
People always tend to favor the large head over the more amazing and awesome burping nurses in the same area of the game -_-
It's very un-Silent Hill-ish but it's still friggin' sick looking. I can't stand it at all. Ugh.

Melchiah said:
I can't help but think this is just a way to save face, after the recent articles about the subject.
Unfortunately, I have to agree with this.

I really doubt the original tracks will wind up in the game at this point. After Konami went to all the effort (and money) to do the new tracks, I don't see them including the first recordings.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
chandoog said:
They're not nurses. They are pregnant patients :p

legacyzero

Banned
MoonsaultSlayer said:
Not loading for me. Anything noteworthy?
Said url has a "malformed video id"?

Hmmmm? works fine for me...

Anyway, she basically is an ass about the whole thing. Her attitude is so arrogant. Basically she says that Guy Cihi had asked about residuals for the MANY other re-releases for Silent Hill two, and that he would contact the other actors to let them know as well.

Why not pay them something? She also mentions how Konami somehow conveniently didn't sign a contract or agree to pay any residuals.

But why the hell does any of this matter anyway, considering Guy Cihi told Konami that he would relinquish his rights to the VO and mocap.

Also: Monica Taylor Horgan (original Marie/Maria VO) is attempting to launch a small campaign to get the original VO back in the game.

http://www.facebook.com/marymariaoriginal

Ninja Kn1ght said:
Sounds like you should hate Guy Cihi
I would take her seriously if she wasn't so flippant about it. Her tone and her attitude is terrible, while Guy on the other hand is not an asshole. Besides, why would he not deserve some kind of handout from Konami? Also, why would Konami spend the extra cash to redo the VO, when they could have just given that to the original cast and settled this?

legacyzero said:
Hmmmm? works fine for me...

Anyway, she basically is an ass about the whole thing. Her attitude is so arrogant. Basically she says that Guy Cihi had asked about residuals for the MANY other re-releases for Silent Hill two, and that he would contact the other actors to let them know as well.

Why not pay them something? She also mentions how Konami somehow conveniently didn't sign a contract or agree to pay any residuals.

But why the hell does any of this matter anyway, considering Guy Cihi told Konami that he would relinquish his rights to the VO and mocap.

Also: Monica Taylor Horgan (original Marie/Maria VO) is attempting to launch a small campaign to get the original VO back in the game.

http://www.facebook.com/marymariaoriginal

I would take her seriously if she wasn't so flippant about it. Her tone and her attitude is terrible, while Guy on the other hand is not an asshole. Besides, why would he not deserve some kind of handout from Konami? Also, why would Konami spend the extra cash to redo the VO, when they could have just given that to the original cast and settled this?
Yeah, sorry. I turned off mobileview on my phone and it worked. Thanks.

legacyzero said:
Why would he deserve a handout in the first place? I fail to see how he's any different from that douche that wanted royalties from GTAIV. A nobody that's trying to capitalise off the great work the development team did over a number of years. Fuck 'em.

I'm fine with what she said in that video. Maybe a bit too condescending but then I thought the VA in the originals were poor anyway. What I found far more fucked up was that people are writing death threats over this. Sickening.

LiquidSolid said:
What I found far more fucked up was that people are writing death threats over this. Sickening.

Fans are over the fucking top. Just look at the Star Wars Blu-ray changes. Like a month of bitching and complaining and "boycotting" and yet most people involved with that already own their copies. It's a sight to behold, for sure.

I also had to endure a beating on Facebook because a few of my friends were trying to convince me not to buy the HD collection over it.

There was a unique coldness to how the voice actors sounded in the first one which actually added to the creepiness and atmosphere of the world. I don't think the new voice acting is bad but it just doesn't really feel right .

SoccerGoaliePro said:
There was a unique coldness to how the voice actors sounded in the first one which actually added to the creepiness and atmosphere of the world.

You sound like me when I was defending Lords of Shadow's framerate, trying to justify it as making the game grittier and more cinematic. Needless to say I've come to grips with the fact that it's more of a technical deficiency than anything.

brandonh83 said:
You sound like me when I was defending Lords of Shadow's framerate, trying to justify it as making the game grittier and more cinematic. Needless to say I've come to grips with the fact that it's more of a technical deficiency than anything.

How can you compare framerate problems to perfectly fine voice acting that didn't need improvement.

SoccerGoaliePro said:
How can you compare framerate problems to perfectly fine voice acting that didn't need improvement.

I don't think the voice acting needed improvement exactly; they didn't redo the voices to improve them, they redid the voices because it was the only way they could release the product period.

The only performance in SH2 that I thought was great was Mary's-- the rest certainly did not make the game any better or worse IMO. The only reason people like the voices in the original is because of nostalgia. Because it's the original, and people don't like for original anythings to be tampered with in any capacity. Not because it was great, per se.

jett

D-Member
legacyzero said:
For wanting to get paid for the work he did, and Konami's blatant mistreatment?

HOW DARE HIM.

He already got paid for his work. The dipshit wanted 10 years worth of royalties, that's ridiculous.

randomwab

Are we all forgetting that Chi basically gave in recently and more or less said "I'll not follow this up if you use them, Konami".

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Konami being shit as usual. If they put up the original VA as DLC or something, I might buy this. As it currently is, how about no thanks.

jett said:
He already got paid for his work. The dipshit wanted 10 years worth of royalties, that's ridiculous.

Not to mention the fact that he has completely reversed his stance about the whole debacle by recently claiming on Facebook that it was "never about the money," even though for the past ten years it was about residuals. The guy is CEO of some company. He was CEO of some company when he lied about being unemployed to get an audition for the role of James. He's quite clearly a crafty bugger who's plenty rich enough as it is. Spinning a web of lies was never going to help his cause. Plus the guy couldn't act for shit anyway, so problem solved.

Oh, and way to conveniently give your blessing for the original voice-acting to be included on the HD Collection after most of the redub has been recorded.

Acquiescence said:
Not to mention the fact that he has completely reversed his stance about the whole debacle by recently claiming on Facebook that it was "never about the money," even though for the past ten years it was about residuals. The guy is CEO of some company. He was CEO of some company when he lied about being unemployed to get an audition for the role of James. He's quite clearly a crafty bugger who's plenty rich enough as it is. Spinning a web of lies was never going to help his cause. Plus the guy couldn't act for shit anyway, so problem solved.

Oh, and way to conveniently give your blessing for the original voice-acting to be included on the HD Collection after most of the redub has been recorded.
Pretty much. And does anyone really think he would've given up if this hadn't received the attention it has? Seems to me he gave up so that he could try to shift all the blame onto Konami and keep his name in the credits.

Got my original copy with original voices and will get the new one with new voices. Win win. Compared to other HD collections, I get actual differences not replicated anywhere else like emulators and bullshots.

legacyzero

Banned
Acquiescence said:

He said he was "in between work."

the fact that there is this huge controversy in the first place proves HOW important those voice overs really are, and the fact that konami says no shows just how little they care about the game. i can't remember who it was, but recently a dev commented on controversies and said if there is some huge uproar about something you just do it. you just fix it. because that's what's right. and pride and disrespect can't be masked as 'integrity'.

the voice overs are being relinquished. james/marie are giving them up. it will cost them nothing to leave them in. this is the equivalent of someone choking on food and two bystanders are wasting time arguing about who knows the correct way to perform the Heimlich maneuver. instead of doing what's RIGHT and just putting the fucking voice overs in.

my god it drives me insane how insensitive, rude, and disrespectful konami and it's employees (primarily the new voice actors, who should be keeping their mouths shut to begin with) are being about all of this. you get the best of both worlds by making the old VO's optional. costs nothing at this point. they're not going to do it because they have too much pride and to spite the original actors.

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
my god it drives me insane how insensitive, rude, and disrespectful konami and it's employees (primarily the new voice actors, who should be keeping their mouths shut to begin with) are being about all of this. you get the best of both worlds by making the old VO's optional. costs nothing at this point. they're not going to do it because they have too much pride and to spite the original actors.

How are they being rude? Cihi comes out and threatens to sue Konami over royalties that he isn't even owed (he's even admitted that there was no contract), but Konami are the bad guys for being upset over the threat?

Snaku

Banned
So will the new VA's get residuals on re-releases of the HD collection?
3AQmK.gif

SolidSnakex said:
How are they being rude? Cihi comes out and threatens to sue Konami over royalties that he isn't even owed (he's even admitted that there was no contract), but Konami are the bad guys for being upset over the threat?

show me a quoted verbatim scan or copy>paste of his 'threats'. if/when you do, is he being calm and rational or immature and childish? based on konami's word, and the way they have been talking has been like this woman: using 'dumb guy' voice and exaggerating every little thing to hell and back. it's extremely immature, and it undermines their stance on the whole issue.

it's one thing if they want to act like that to each other, but keep it private, because you lose credibility and respect. guy has been pretty calm and rational with his public posts about the whole situation, and you can't say the same about konami. (see: this video + new james VA smack talk, etc.)

even if he sent some crazy batshit letter/email/voicemail to konami, he is basically laying down his sword and backing away and trying to take the high road at this point. that deserves respect, to back down from an argument because you realize what's at stake is more important than who wins. when konami decided to redo the voice overs they pretty much said no, what's at stake isn't important at all, and we have to win this argument/fight. guy himself even said he only TOLD them they owed him royalties, but didn't ask for them. he asked why they didn't ask him PERMISSION TO USE his voice overs. again, let's find the official transcript of what he originally discussed with konami to verify.

show me a quoted verbatim scan or copy>paste of his 'threats'. if/when you do, is he being calm and rational or immature and childish? based on konami's word, and the way they have been talking has been like this woman: using 'dumb guy' voice and exaggerating every little thing to hell and back. it's extremely immature, and it undermines their stance on the whole issue.

Guy Cihi: Sure, I’d do it again if they asked but they won’t. The problem is that Konami has already been notified they owe me residuals for all previous re-uses of my mocap and voice recordings. Changing the voice won’t excuse them with the next release because my mocap is still all in there. (Sorry, Konami, I own those rights!) I’ll get around to seeking compensation through the court one of these days. I simply don’t have the time for it right now. Anybody who has ever sought justice through the court knows how much money and energy it takes. Hope this doesn’t bum you guys out….It’s just the way it is.

http://survivalhorroronline.com/201...e-silent-hill-hd-collections-new-voice-overs/

legacyzero said:

It's not "conveniently," that's just how it was. Guy claims he deserves compensation, but there is nothing backing his claim other than his own sense of entitlement.

Legacyzero said:
She's been getting death threats, and you're surprised she's a little put off by the issue?

"Deserves" isn't a good reason to be paying someone from work 10 years ago. If that were the agreed upon conditions, fine, but I don't think that would fly in any other place.

The old voices are bad, and this is coming from someone who likes the voice work of SH2. It's just bad. There are a few hints of brilliance hidden underneath a rather large amount of awful. I can see where they would want to hire on some people that have some solid backgrounds in voice work, and go all out with the "hd" treatment.
I still think Mary/Maria was an almost perfect performance.

Could you honestly look me in the eye and tell me that every reviewer and most of the internet (that hasn't played the original) wouldn't complain about the voicework being really bad?
Does that invalidate the original work? No, but I think that the recasting of Resident Evil for the gamecube update was necessary, despite how iconic the original work was. There's a special place in my heart for the awkwardness of the original work, but it's not likely going to do the games any favors in appealing to people. Silent Hill is pretty much facing the same thing, and I really don't want to discount the new performances and their impact on the total package before hearing it. I really like the cheesy, hamfisted original RE game, but the REmake was a much stronger horror game because it fine-tuned its weaker points. I'm hoping the same goes for this.

I still can't believe we've yet to hear anything from SH3 at this point.

edit:
randomwab said:
Are we all forgetting that Chi basically gave in recently and more or less said "I'll not follow this up if you use them, Konami".
That looked more like trying to play the good guy after admitting there was nothing backing his claims he was owed. I'm sorry, but it just felt like "hey guys, it's not MY fault because of legal stuff. Now it's all konami's fault again!"

edit2:
show me a quoted verbatim scan or copy>paste of his 'threats'. if/when you do, is he being calm and rational or immature and childish?
ASJhN.jpg

?

SolidSnakex said:

i'm still waiting for the immaturity or the rudeness to kick in. he did the mocap for his character and it's in the HD collection too. konami has been sidestepping the issue about it including the mocap.

again, he layed down the sword, and konami reps are using dumb guy voice and trying to paint as terrible a picture as possible about him regardless of how reasonable he's being.

brandonh83 said:
dude just... don't give anyone any ideas.
DLC isn't always paid content. If it's too late to get the original voices in, free dlc (or a patch) would suffice. Not sure the people involved would want to charge for content from individuals in this situation hahaha. Unless some of the money goes to them... in which case I'd gladly pay for it.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
brandonh83 said:
dude just... don't give anyone any ideas.

I'd buy both the HD collection and paid DLC if it meant I could have the original VA. But I won't buy the HD collection if the redone VA is all I'm getting.

Flayer

Combichristoffersen said:
I'd buy both the HD collection and paid DLC if it meant I could have the original VA. But I won't buy the HD collection if the redone VA is all I'm getting.
The original VO is pretty bad. No point getting your panties in a twist over something that surely will at least match the original in quality. Personally I've always been a big fan of the SH series and I think the new voice work is something to be appreciated, it is a new release after all.

Flayer said:
The original VO is pretty bad. No point getting your panties in a twist over something that surely will at least match the original in quality. Personally I've always been a big fan of the SH series and I think the new voice work is something to be appreciated, it is a new release after all.
I think some people want to play the game for nostalgia's sake and not for the actual game content. I can't wait to play the game with a newness to it and hearing alternate deliveries that may make some scenes better? Who knows?

I'm going to be going through SH2 again before it comes out so the differences are more noticable. I've already started and saved inside the camper with the note sending me to bar neely's. I went to the bar first though.... oh well.

kunonabi

I'm not touching these new versions. I don't disagree that the performances will be better in the remakes, although Mary/Maria is shaping up to inferior. I wouldn't have guessed that I since like McGlynn. Anglea will certainly be in improvement regardless of what they do. That being said the original voices were not quite as awful as people are making them out to be. More importantly the voices matched up with the characters perfectly. The new James and Mary sound nothing like what many of us expect them to sound like. I swear if this wasn't in HD nobody would would be defending this shit.I have my original versions and I will be skipping these. Of course anybody who prefers the the games the way they were just have nostalgia goggles and can't possibly formulate any sort of legitimate opinion.

sublimit said:
Wow.
No wonder the new VA turned out the shitfest that it is.Congrats Konami once again for placing the future of one of your once flagship series to the hands of idiots.
I know, right? They couldn't have handed the voice stuff over to a more incompetent, under-qualified person if they tried.

In other news, the "Born from a Wish" scenario has been confirmed for the HD collection.
http://www.examiner.com/video-game-...nario-confirmed-for-silent-hill-hd-collection

edit: I don't know if that is big enough news to really warrant a thread, as it was assumed at this point. It was just confirmed.

kunonabi said:
Of course anybody who prefers the the games the way they were just have nostalgia goggles and can't possibly formulate any sort of legitimate opinion.

The games are the "way they were" only in HD and with redone voice acting that isn't necessarily ten steps above the original voice performances, but certainly not any worse either.

My thinking is that all these years later, SH2 holds up visually and audibly... in the music/effects department and has been psycho-analyzed from top to bottom leading it to be one of the deepest, thematic games ever. Its VA work, however, keeps it down a few notches making it seem unnecessarily silly.

If we get some organic, if uninspired, voice work, I'm all for it if it means taking away a distraction from the overall experience to newcomers and old fans unimpressed with the original work. Voice overs in games have come a long way since then. People not in the know will laugh at the original work, I'd say.

Top Bottom