• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection's new SH2 voices revealed

It could be worse. Soundtrack replaced by original korn tracks for that 'twist'y story now dubbed by each member of the band.

"In my restless dreams
I see that town
All day I dream about it
Yes all day I dream about...

Aallll day I dream abooout Silent Hill"

legacyzero

Banned
So basically they're getting screwed because of a technicality? Lame.

AnEternalEnigma said:
Yes. It's all been re-done.
f01d972ce50c9fc9ee69e5feb87aed03a9c70202.gif

it cant be...

legacyzero said:
If it was agreed upon, it's not really "getting screwed." That's just bad foresight on their parts.

Oh yeah, I guess I should comment on the SH3 thing- Hooray for more early overreaction again?
I mean, the ONLY thing we've seen of SH3 at this point are those very unfinished screenshots and like 2 minutes of footage?
Heather is my favorite female protagonist. : (

Bukana said:
This sums up my reaction, but replace Freddie with a pillow.
You slap pillows?! YOU MONSTER!

legacyzero said:
How the hell are they being screwed? They were paid money to do a job over a few days that anyone could've done (especially seeing as they were non-union voice actors). Do the programmers and artists that spent years of their lives get royalties? No. Then why the hell do a handful of voice actors deserve them?

This is why Nolan North is awesome and Guy Cihi is an enormous, self-centred douche.

Nemesis_

LiquidSolid said:
How the hell are they being screwed? They were paid money to do a job over a few days that anyone could've done (especially seeing as they were non-union voice actors). Do the programmers and artists that spent years of their lives get royalties? No. Then why the hell do a handful of voice actors deserve them?

This is why Nolan North is awesome and Guy Cihi is an enormous, self-centred douche.

While I am not going to be like NOLAN NORTH is awesome, I think Guy Cihi is being a little bit unreasonable when it comes to this. He wasn't even a voice actor, was he? He probably doesn't know how the system works. >_>

Yasae

Banned
jett said:
He already got paid for his work. The dipshit wanted 10 years worth of royalties, that's ridiculous.
That's not uncommon with spec deals or points given to those involved in a production. Of course, you need incontrovertible proof of these things. Verbal agreements mean nothing.

To think actors shouldn't receive royalties for their work? Whoa. It happens all the time - depends on what their contractual agreements are.

Yasae said:
To think actors shouldn't receive royalties for their work? Whoa. It happens all the time - depends on what their contractual agreements are.

Nolan North doesn't even think that voice actors should receive royalties. He said that it doesn't make sense for him to receive them when he has very little to do with the game in comparison to programmers that have a much bigger role. And Nolan is significantly more important to Uncharted than pretty much any other voice actor for other games.

Kikujiro

legacyzero said:

Who's gettin' screwed? Your greedy guy who wants more money he doesn't deserve?
And don't pull the "fine, use my work for free", because he said that when the re-work was already done and he first intended to sue them. Nice publicity stunt though, "oooh he's so nice, he really cares about the game", gtfo.

"Hardcore fans" are so amazing, let's boycott our favorite series and support a douchebag who only did the voice over and wants more money for his bad work.

Erigu

Kikujiro said:
Nice publicity stunt though, "oooh he's so nice, he really cares about the game", gtfo.
That's one of the theories that came to my mind as well, but it's not like he's on the market or anything, is he?

hsukardi

Yasae said:
That's not uncommon with spec deals or points given to those involved in a production. Of course, you need incontrovertible proof of these things. Verbal agreements mean nothing.

Hey, don't be a dumbass.

Few if any programmers, artists and designers ever receive royalties for their work over 10 years in games.

If this is a radio drama and not a game we're talking about, I'd agree with you.

Brain, use.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
MoonsaultSlayer said:
It could be worse. Soundtrack replaced by original korn tracks for that 'twist'y story now dubbed by each member of the band.

"In my restless dreams
I see that town
All day I dream about it
Yes all day I dream about...

Aallll day I dream abooout Silent Hill"

Hey you, hey you,
Alessa's little sister
Cheryl, Cheryl,
Twisted transistor

shidoshi said:
Absolutely. When I first heard the original voice actor for James before SH2 was released, I hated his voice. Playing the game, it totally grew on me. He had this slightly goofy, effeminate quality to his voice, and it gave his character more personality. It was a voice that, when I heard it, I instantly knew whose voice it was.

This voice, meh. It's so boring! BORING!

That is actually a valid complaint. The original James VA, while bad and with terrible delivery was more effeminate, while this new guy sounds almost too "manly".

Still, the quality is better and should sound fantastic once edited into the final scenes.

Nemesis_

Lime said:
It wouldn't surprise me if Mary Elisabeth McGlynn cast herself as Heather as well.

In that video of her being a douche, she reckons she didn't want to do it originally? Or did I hear her wrong? (RE: Casting as Maria/Mary)

Guy Cihi said:
My letter to Konami was sent on August 29, directly to Michael Ranja, VP of Licensing, Konami USA. A few hours later I later posted it as an 'open' letter on my Facebook page. Additionally, in early September, I sent personal messages to several key players in Konami USA and Japan. As of today, I have not heard from Konami, however, there are numerous indications that a win-win solution remains possible.

Keep the faith!
I believe in my heart that Konami will agree that the best solution is to allow fans to have a choice. We must remain persistent but... at all times we must be civil. No more flames, okay?
Thank you for your steadfast support!
Guy

Methinks Konami got scared by all the bad publicity and delayed the Collection to add the original voices as an option back into SH2 at least. No one seems to be giving a shit about SH3's voices being re-done.

AnEternalEnigma said:
Methinks Konami got scared by all the bad publicity and delayed the Collection to add the original voices as an option back into SH2 at least. No one seems to be giving a shit about SH3's voices being re-done.

Or they just delayed it so that they can launch the 360 version with the PS3 version.

Mengetsu

AnEternalEnigma said:

You know its not till now that im finding out about SH3 VO being redone....oh well i guess the whole package has to suffer.

randomwab

Silent Hill 2 and 3 with new voices, no Silent Hill 1 or 4. The ultimate collection! Just leave your nostalgia at the door, thanks!

Guy Cihi said:
My letter to Konami was sent on August 29, directly to Michael Ranja, VP of Licensing, Konami USA. A few hours later I later posted it as an 'open' letter on my Facebook page. Additionally, in early September, I sent personal messages to several key players in Konami USA and Japan. As of today, I have not heard from Konami, however, there are numerous indications that a win-win solution remains possible.

Keep the faith!
I believe in my heart that Konami will agree that the best solution is to allow fans to have a choice. We must remain persistent but... at all times we must be civil. No more flames, okay?
Thank you for your steadfast support!
Guy
AnEternalEnigma said:
Finally someone at Konami with a brain noticed what was happening with this project.

Interview with the guy who played Eddie too, soon every voice actor from SH2 will have talked about this, lol. He seems pretty cool and down to earth. They also mailed him asking to sign away his rights and then never replied him back like with Cihi, Konami seems amazingly professional.

No contact until last year when I guess someone in Konami’s legal department must have realized that they hadn’t paid us for additional use and had no signed waivers. So they sent all the actors a form letter asking us to sign away our rights to all past and future additional uses of our performances. I replied asking for more information about the past and future uses they were referring to, but never heard anything after that. I work with Donna Burke and she mentioned the same situation where Konami failed to respond to her reply for more information.

But really read the whole thing, really good interview and he talks about lots of interesting stuff, like how he is still paid by Namco for tekken and how verbal agreements without contracts were normal.

http://silenthaven.tumblr.com/post/10688958680/interview-with-david-schaufele-voice-actor-for-eddie

Posted on the Facebook of Monica Horgan (original voice of Mary/Maria):

Guys I loathe to chime in on all this business but in the interest in keeping the fragile progress we have made I would like to. It is my belief that the GOAL here is to get you guys the original voices on the game that you love. I wanted more information at the onset of all this and I went out and got it...from professionals who understand the talent business. At the time the game was made and released, I was considered a "professional" actor. I was on TV, on the radio, in games (many) and I had done work in the US and abroad (namely Japan). My voice has been used hundreds and hundreds of times. Here is what I DO know about royalties and residuals. Not once have I ever been paid any residuals for video games (or any voice work for that matter). And since the new HD game is now Konami US property, it is important to realize how it works in the US. I now live in LA and I have spoken (due to all this "controversy") with 2 BIG agents (who specialize in video games) and the bottom line is that GAMES do NOT receive residuals. To quote a VIDEO GAME TALENT REP (agent): "IT IS NOT DONE." Even famous, big-name Hollywood actors are paid once--no "back-end" deals. That aside, and to lend credit to claims that residuals have been earned for some people; Japan is like "The Old West" and deals can be made between agents, talent and companies that are off the grid and often are. Pay scales were radically different for different talent, there is NO UNION in Japan for VAs (called narrators there). If you had a smart, fast-thinking agent, you could have been paid more, or over time potentially. NO ONE knew SH2 would go on to its success. It is SO common to have something get big and then have all this squabbling about credit, compensation, motives, etc. But PLEASE...this whole business about discussing getting paid is putting a SERIOUSLY bad taste in my mouth.

Here it is folks: I would LOVE to have the old voices on SH2 as an option for fans. I will be at Konami to sign off on this as a reality tomorrow. My experience with them thus far has been totally relaxed, pleasant and light-hearted. And I am sure if I suggested "pizza and beer" they would be game for that too. I realize I am just one voice: but It was my understanding that this is what the fans would like so let's make it happen!

just add the goddamn voices in as an option, Konami. Jesus Christmas.

There is nothing to lose there. Nothing. Especially with Guy's crusade ending. All other VAs are falling in line and everything's fine.
New voice actors have recorded and been paid. They would be default. Troy Barker gets another great game on his resume.
An original VA option (this might be the only game I can think of where people legitmately want that :p) would be a great way for Konami to prove to fans that they are listening. After all of this mess it would be a great PR win.

so yeah, all of that mentioned, of course it's not going to happen.

Kikujiro

Some of you are dense, it's too late for nice words.

And Monica Horgan shows us why is all Cihi's fault, he started it all with his intention of suing Konami for money and publicity. All the other voice actors were fine.
Obviously fanbase goes with him instead of going with the makers of the game, worst fanbase ever, better to lose it.

randomwab

Kikujiro said:

And Monica Horgan shows us why is all Cihi's fault, he started it all with his intention of suing Konami for money and publicity. All the other voice actors were fine.
Obviously fanbase goes with him instead of going with the makers of the game, worst fanbase ever, better to lose it.

Actually, it's sort of Konami's again. They contacted him about the HD rerelease. He was aware of the previous rereleases and asked for more details and said he was happy to discuss. Konami never got back to him, so his whole "I'm gonna sue/nevermind, I just want the voices in" came after.

Konami really doesn't come away looking very well from any of this.

Kikujiro said:

Why is it dense to side with a man who simply expected what he thought was agreed upon during a (supposed) verbal confirmation at the time of his hiring and the consequent ignoring from his previous employer?

Anyone has the right to sue for monetary compensation they believe they've earned. The depths of that are determined by lawyers, obviously, but it's still a right.
Suing for money? Why the hell else would someone sue? Wouldn't you get upset if the compensation of a business agreement, verbal or written, wasn't honored?

A crap load of people have told us how things work in the VA industry; not just video games, but TV shows, films, commercials, etc. That's fine. It's the standard procedure.
However, Cihi shouldn't be blamed, IMO, for trying to be business savvy back in 2001 and trying to pull for future residuals, whether it was the industry standard or not. He went in to audition his daughter. He was a business man, not a "I've Done 70 Voices for Dragon Ball Z" voice actor. Why didn't a KCET rep tell him "sorry Mr. Cihi. We don't operate like that. Is that ok? If not, NEXT AUDITION PLEASE!"?

Horgan just pointed out, via her experience, that residuals for that line of work are unheard of. Troy Barker said the same thing, just in a more aggressive tone towards Cihi. As Horgan points out:

MonicaHorgan said:
If you had a smart, fast-thinking agent, you could have been paid more, or over time potentially.

It is my understanding Cihi had a verbal agreement with Konami to this. Any time Cihi attempted addressing this to KCE corporate he was disregarded or blackballed (even to the point of his image being blurred from the Making Of). This isn't some half-assed scheme he came up with when he knew remasters were coming out; this has apparently been an ongoing issue since 2001- again, refer to him being blurred out of the Making Of documentary. Why blur him out if Konami wasn't trying to avoid a verbal agreement of using his likeness without compensation? I don't think it's a stretch to believe they were aware of it at the time.

Where Cihi fucked up is that he didn't get it in writing. As a businessman he should know better, but to me that's his only fault in the whole issue.

He's always been great to his fans and it's not like he's some washed up junkie who is trying to extort money from a corporation to fund a heroin addiction. The man is a CEO of multiple companies.
And no, it's not too late for him to drop it and want the integrity of the original to remain for the fans. He could have pushed this further, but he's not.

To absolve Konami of their various shyster decisions regarding not just this situation, but many of their properties, is even more irresponsible. "Going with the makers of the game"? No, man. Imamura, Tsuboyama, Owaku, Yamaoka, Sato, etc. are some of the talented individuals that made this game. None of them even work at Konami any more (to my knowledge) and sure as hell don't have anything to do with Cihi's employment arrangements.

Konami delayed this release for upwards of 7 months. There is plenty of time for them to plug in an option for the original voices if they choose. It's not like the SH Collection disc is chock full of games or anything *ba-DISH!*

Worst fanbase ever? In the words of the great Cris Carter: "Come on, man."

TheJollyCorner said:
Why is it dense to side with a man who simply expected what he thought was agreed upon during a (supposed) verbal confirmation at the time of his hiring and the consequent ignoring from his previous employer?
A crap load of people have told us how things work in the VA industry; not just video games, but TV shows, films, commercials, etc. That's fine. It's the standard procedure.
However, Cihi shouldn't be blamed, IMO, for trying to be business savvy back in 2001 and trying to pull for future residuals, whether it was the industry standard or not. He went in to audition his daughter. He was a business man, not a "I've Done 70 Voices for Dragon Ball Z" voice actor. Why didn't a KCET rep tell him "sorry Mr. Cihi. We don't operate like that. Is that ok? If not, NEXT AUDITION PLEASE!"?
Jeremy Blaustein (a translator and supervisor for the english version of SH2, for those of you who don't know [I know you know that already, Jolly]) was taking questions on SHH recently. The last lines in particular...
6pItf.png

I do recall there actually being an issue with Guy (or maybe more of the actors) only being paid half of what was agreed upon from when they initially finished the game, and I don't know if that was ever followed up on. Outside of that, it just seems like Guy has no leg to stand on in this situation.

Kikujiro said:
: (
I know we're pretty bad sometimes, but we're not that bad! Are we?

Batman, thanks for the link, that was a really great read. I had no idea Eddie's VA was such a well-traveled and nice sounding guy.
It also appears konami took him up on his suggestion! Here's a photo from the face-to-face chat.

I have to, sadly, agree with Combichristoffersen about the original voices not getting added. I really, really doubt konami will be putting even an option for it in the game. It would be a pleasant surprise, that's for certain.

Erigu

Jeremy Blaustein said:
Frankly he was pissed that his face was blurred out in "The Making of...".
So his face was blurred out, and then he got pissed? Not the other way around? 'Cause I don't quite understand what happened, there... Why did they do that?

I, on the other hand, was almost totally cut out of it although in EVERY scene showing actors, I was like 2 feet away giving them direction.
That doesn't sound nearly as peculiar as what happened to Cihi's face...

Erigu said:
So his face was blurred out, and then he got pissed? Not the other way around? 'Cause I don't quite understand what happened, there... Why did they do that?
There was some making of documentary that they made on SH2 (don't know who was specifically behind production for it), and Cihi's face was blurred out in the footage. As for why, shoot, I don't remember. Maybe there was already bad blood at that point, maybe it had something to do with them not wanting to clear it with him, or who knows what all. Probably just Konami being Konami. : \

randomwab

AnEternalEnigma said:
Still doesn't answer why they blurred Cihi's face out.

As far as I remember, Konami execs found out he was a business man, not a voice actor, and they were super pissed for some reason. I think they thought henlied or he withheld telling them that he was actually pretty wealthy at the time. It was something dumb like that.

JoeFenix

You guys are worried about the voice acting but I'm actualy way more worried about the quality of the ports themselves.

Literaly every screenshot we've seen has looked absolutely horrible, missing geometry and effects, lighting is botched.... It really looks like a complete mess honestly.

Yasae

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Nolan North doesn't even think that voice actors should receive royalties. He said that it doesn't make sense for him to receive them when he has very little to do with the game in comparison to programmers that have a much bigger role. And Nolan is significantly more important to Uncharted than pretty much any other voice actor for other games.
That's his opinion.

And let's make no mistake - he's getting paid more than those programmers. If he's so noble, why not a cut in pay? He just said he doesn't get residuals. That means he charges a lot of money upfront.

See that's how it works. More residuals? Less upfront cost, and generally more income over a longer period of time. So what about programmers and artists? They almost always sign work-for-hire agreements where a corporation essentially owns all their output for a certain title. They would own their work and be able to file lawsuits left and right if they didn't agree to these terms. They don't have a contractual leg to stand on just like Cihi. It doesn't matter what anyone thinks is more important or less important.
hsukardi said:
Hey, don't be a dumbass.

Few if any programmers, artists and designers ever receive royalties for their work over 10 years in games.

If this is a radio drama and not a game we're talking about, I'd agree with you.

Brain, use.
Ah, but you didn't tell us why they don't. I just did.

Moving on...

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
JoeFenix said:
You guys are worried about the voice acting but I'm actualy way more worried about the quality of the ports themselves.

Literaly every screenshot we've seen has looked absolutely horrible, missing geometry and effects, lighting is botched.... It really looks like a complete mess honestly.
Are we still talking about the batch of pics from SH3 when Heather wakes up in the diner? Hope they get that junk fixed. I'm more concerned about that then the voices at this point.

Jangaroo said:
Are we still talking about the batch of pics from SH3 when Heather wakes up in the diner? Hope they get that junk fixed. I'm more concerned about that then the voices at this point.

They actually re-released those same screens at TGS.

Top Bottom