• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection's new SH2 voices revealed

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
this has gone off the deep end, crashed and burrowed into the earth, traveled for several hundred miles, chilled out, began to ascend and has now returned from the underground with the intent to kill us all

what do youtube comments from random internet-goers have to do with the attitude she has in the video? much less if anything she is saying is true or not? she was over the line and unprofessional. period. there is no excuse. even if all those things were true, that's not how you act. have a little class and keep your mouth shut instead of being childish and flinging poo.

reminds me of the people cheering/booing all that shit at the GOP debates.

Replicant

I don't see the big deal about the video. She sounds like a company rep towing the company line.

Moreover, EVERYONE and I mean it, EVERYONE sounds like assholes in this. Guy Cihi included. I don't think we'll ever know the right side to the story because everyone has their argument about it. But everyone sounds like self-serving individuals.

Although Konami is probably the source of this mess in the first place. Probably explains why Keiichi Toyama and Akira Yamaoka bailed out of Konami and ran to Sony and Grasshopper, respectively.

Oh, I thought it was some new video about the signing of the voices.
Nevermind, just insert my original responses to the overreaction from others here.

AuthenticM said:
Yeah I watched that. I don't understand all the hate she's getting. I'm more inclined to believe her rather than Guy, honestly. The guy seems to have an inflated sense of ego,
Yup.
AuthenticM said:
unlike her.
Nope.

jooey said:
this has gone off the deep end, crashed and burrowed into the earth, traveled for several hundred miles, chilled out, began to ascend and has now returned from the underground with the intent to kill us all
Marketing budget was shot, so they had to generate buzz somehow!
Oh man, I just realized how plausible that could actually be.

edit:
Replicant said:
Moreover, EVERYONE and I mean it, EVERYONE sounds like assholes in this. Guy Cihi included. I don't think we'll ever know the right side to the story because everyone has their argument about it. But everyone sounds like self-serving individuals.
"Now it's ten years later and guess who pops up on some forums - at the very last second - shouting: look at me, look at me, I'm helping negotiate a resolution. Bah!"

It's funny how, out of context, that could have been perceived as having been said about Guy.

Replicant

Typographenia said:
Marketing budget was shot, so they had to generate buzz somehow!
Oh man, I just realized how plausible that could actually be.

Well, any publicity is a good publicity, no? And there's no news like bad news.

Typographenia said:
"Now it's ten years later and guess who pops up on some forums - at the very last second - shouting: look at me, look at me, I'm helping negotiate a resolution. Bah!"

It's funny how, out of context, that could have been perceived as having been said about Guy.

Yeah, he sounds as attention whoring as every single one of them. Of course it helps that he was the voice of James so he got the backing from most of the fans of that game.

Call me though if Konami decides to re-do Silent Hill 1 without the original Harry's voice. I'd lead a riot boycott over it.

Angry Fork

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I don't understand the hatred. She seems to lay it all out as straightforward and factually as possible. Silent Hill fans moaning because they don't like the truth I guess.
They're moaning because she's damage controlling changing something fans don't want changed like Lucas.

Replicant said:
Call me though if Konami decides to re-do Silent Hill 1 without the original Harry's voice. I'd lead a riot boycott over it.
Huh? Remake? What's going on with that remake?

Have you seen a voice actor around here? Man, bad habit of over-emphasizing things incorrectly?

Eh, people are mad at that video?
I don't like the new VA but I respect her for discussing it like that, plus she admits she thought her own voice was too deep for Mary/Marie but Konami wanted to go ahead with it

+Respect for her

legacyzero

Banned
Angry Fork said:
They're moaning because she's damage controlling changing something fans don't want changed like Lucas.
XF9tq.jpg

It's her tone that I dont like. It's not the change. It's her negative shitty attitude.

sublimit

Banned
legacyzero said:
XF9tq.jpg

It's her tone that I dont like. It's not the change. It's her negative shitty attitude.
But she has experience in the industry therefore she's allowed to talk like that!!And because she has done more work than others her opinions have to be right!!!

lol

legacyzero

Banned
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Considering how he's been I can't blame her.

I'm gonna just throw out the "two wrongs dont make a right" speech. And it's not like he was THAT bad. And If Cihi really was at fault for this whole thing, it doesn't give her the right to be a total douche about it.

legacyzero said:
I'm gonna just throw out the "two wrongs dont make a right" speech. And it's not like he was THAT bad. And If Cihi really was at fault for this whole thing, it doesn't give her the right to be a total douche about it.

Considering the grief he has caused her and the crap getting tossed her way, I think it's fair.

Melchiah

sublimit said:
But she has experience in the industry therefore she's allowed to talk like that!!And because she has done more work than others her opinions have to be right!!!

lol

Actually, yes and yes.

cvxfreak

Just realized that Mary Elizabeth McGlynn has been credited as Melissa Williamson -- I know her best from the SH3 intro song.

Would be hilariously ironic if replacing SH3's VA involved replacing the song's vocals as well. :p

stupei

cvxfreak said:
Just realized that Mary Elizabeth McGlynn has been credited as Melissa Williamson -- I know her best from the SH3 intro song.

Would be hilariously ironic if replacing SH3's VA involved replacing the song's vocals as well. :p

Can't imagine why they would do that since she's worked on every game in the series since SH3 and has a really strong relationship with Konami, having never made crazy demands that aren't in line with what is considered professionalism in the industry.

Don't know why people keep asking about SH3's voices being replaced. They've said from the moment there was backlash that the only reason voices were redone in SH2 was because of Guy. Whether or not that's really the case, they've said it and so I assume they intend to go along with all that implies. He's not in SH3 and they've said nothing about it. Presumably the original voices there are intact. No big deal. (Except on the internet where everything's a really big deal.)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wait, so original voices are back in? I hope this doesn't mean we won't also receive the new voice track. I was genuinely interested in hearing the new performances.

AkuMifune

Banned
dark10x said:
Wait, so original voices are back in? I hope this doesn't mean we won't also receive the new voice track. I was genuinely interested in hearing the new performances.

Now we get to start a petition and build up fake internet rage all over again for the rumored unreleased new voice tracks. I love the internet.

Yes, they're in.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
AkuMifune said:
Now we get to start a petition and build up fake internet rage all over again for the rumored unreleased new voice tracks. I love the internet.

Yes, they're in.
I never really cared about having the original voice work to begin with as I've heard them many times over. If they can include both, though, that's excellent.

SH3 needs new voice work much more than SH2, though (and perhaps an updated script). The writing in SH3 is so terribly awful.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
In post #610 there's a twitter post by Cihi wherein he mentions (in point 5) about somebody "going to bat" for Thessaly Larner.

Now as far as I'm aware, she's the voice actor for Lisa Garland in SH1 and doesn't appear in any other games, someone please assure me that this crap isn't the reason SH1 got pulled from EU PSN.

PS. As someone who's been involved in voice-recording shoots for games I can say with absolutely surety that what Mary says about "buy-out" payments being the norm for both Union/Non-union is absolutely correct. Its one if the reasons why it was so difficult back in the day to attract any sort of name talent.

Frankly I'm not at all surprised at her indignance.

legacyzero said:
i haven't watched the video of Mary, so i'm just going to take your word for it that she's being bitchy or douchey or whatever.

two wrongs don't make a right, but Mary's involvement in the games has been a completely positive thing for the end user experience. whether by her singin or by her acting and directing of the voice work in Shattered Memories.

Cihi has always struck me as a dick, but he was being dickish about a bad performance. Mary is being dickish about good work.

if they're both acting stuck up, i'm going to think worse of the person who is being stuck up about a shitty performance than i'm going to think of the person being stuck up about a good one.

i'll still think they're both stuck up, but i won't think they're equally douchey.

Clear said:
In post #610 there's a twitter post by Cihi wherein he mentions (in point 5) about somebody "going to bat" for Thessaly Larner.

Now as far as I'm aware, she's the voice actor for Lisa Garland in SH1 and doesn't appear in any other games, someone please assure me that this crap isn't the reason SH1 got pulled from EU PSN.

PS. As someone who's been involved in voice-recording shoots for games I can say with absolutely surety that what Mary says about "buy-out" payments being the norm for both Union/Non-union is absolutely correct. Its one if the reasons why it was so difficult back in the day to attract any sort of name talent.

Frankly I'm not at all surprised at her indignance.

Nah the thing about Thessaly's voice overs being re used was konami using it in SH3 without permission. Konami pulled the voice out of the EU release and all new copies.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
BatmanBatmanBatman said:
Nah the thing about Thessaly's voice overs being re used was konami using it in SH3 without permission. Konami pulled the voice out of the EU release and all new copies.

Cool. Thanks for clearing that up.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I don't know how many people are aware of this, but generally speaking when doing a VO recording session around that time, each line was recorded separately and then delivered to the developer as an individual .wav (or whatever) file for further processing.

Essentially the actors' performances were less important than the "ear" of the person/persons concatenating all those individual bits into a contiguous scene.

It was/is a very undesirable way to work, especially if the video/animation component was yet to be done - again, the normal state of affairs at that time.

Its why monologues tend to come across as sounding more natural than dialogue.

Melchiah

sublimit said:
Not always.
Someone can always be an idiot regardless of his/her experience.

Naturally, but experience brings more credibility, and as far as I'm concerned Guy Cihi has none.

sublimit said:
Not always.
Someone can always be an idiot regardless of his/her experience.
as a rule of thumb though, it's logical to take an experience/educated opinion over an uneducated one if we're lacking other information. yes, anyone can be an idiot or have an agenda or what have you... but that works both ways.

you can't logically discount the experience by saying 'they might be an idiot! anyone can be an idiot'. you can logically discount it by demonstrating that the person IS an idiot however.

randomwab

Typographenia said:
I would kill for a poster of this, or really any Silent Hill 2 poster. I've been lurking eBay for years looking for a decent one. The last I saw was framed and went for £100+

Clear said:
I don't know how many people are aware of this, but generally speaking when doing a VO recording session around that time, each line was recorded separately
You must be crazy, because the entire in-game audio is flawless!

UrbanRats said:
*read the comments*
So embarassing to be a SH fan, right now.
Some people should get their heads out of their asses.
It's best not to ever read comments on youtube, but it's especially true for anything silent hill related on youtube.

sublimit

Banned
Melchiah said:
Naturally, but experience brings more credibility, and as far as I'm concerned Guy Cihi has none.
Experience on how to better voice a video game character isn't necessary for someone to have common sense on how laws about contracts work.Especially when it comes to his own experience where he knows what the agreements were.

McGlynn's work experience doesn't give her the right to try and ridicule other people.Although by doing that she's the one who ends up ridiculed.

Melchiah said:
sublimit said:
Experience on how to better voice a video game character isn't necessary for someone to have common sense on how laws about contracts work.Especially when it comes to his own experience where he knows what the agreements were.

McGlynn's work experience doesn't give her the right to try and ridicule other people.Although by doing that she's the one who ends up ridiculed.
*sigh*
How many times are we going to run around in this circle?

-Guy gave up on his crusade because he doesn't have a strong case to stand on.
-MeM's own experience doesn't give her the insight to talk on things she wasn't present for. That's why she was also wrong about who played Laura and so forth.
-Guy and MeM both failed to handle themselves properly and come across as self-righteous jerks.

I'm getting sick of this because there's no discussion going on anymore. It's just a sad parallel to the Guy/Konami bickering in a downward spiral that has long since worn out its welcome.

Clear said:
I don't know how many people are aware of this, but generally speaking when doing a VO recording session around that time, each line was recorded separately and then delivered to the developer as an individual .wav (or whatever) file for further processing.

Essentially the actors' performances were less important than the "ear" of the person/persons concatenating all those individual bits into a contiguous scene.

It was/is a very undesirable way to work, especially if the video/animation component was yet to be done - again, the normal state of affairs at that time.

Its why monologues tend to come across as sounding more natural than dialogue.

And why Resident Evil had that charming quality it first did. Heck, I recall read on 1 or 2 they would actually use words from old takes and just drop them in if it was needed later. Hence for the robotic delivery at times.

BatmanBatmanBatman said:
How exactly did they pull that off? The PAL version came out first.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
I still think the oddest thing about this all is that Guy somehow doing non-Union work in Japan had a deal promising him residuals and other things, it just seems too absurd to be truth. Didn't he claim that at one point?

Now if the claim was (or is) that they owed him money from the original job, that's different.

A lot of questionable things have been said. Cihi kicked things off by threatening to sue Konami over unpaid residuals. After that he pointed out that it would be too big of a hassle to sue them and that he'd only do it if he saw that there was "serious potential gain for me". Somewhere in there he eventually admitted that there was only a verbal agreement and no written agreement about the residuals issue. The voice actress for Mary/Maria made some comments after that where she claimed that Konami told them that Silent Hill 2 would only be released on the PS2 and only in the US. That might be even more ridiculous than Cihi's claims.

Top Bottom