• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection's new SH2 voices revealed

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Fixed or....?

Nope, they're the exact same screens

632692_20110914_screen003.jpg

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/silent-hill-hd-collection/images.html?tag=images

You can see that they're dated for TGS.

JoeFenix

What a mess, just look at that screenshot.... Can't believe their PR department would approve these shots.

No lighting, plants are missing, objects are missing, no fucking windows lol!

JoeFenix said:
What a mess, just look at that screenshot.... Can't believe their PR department would approve these shots.

No lighting, plants are missing, objects are missing, no fucking windows lol!

Konami PR department is just fucking embarrassing. Not just do they constantly release shit like that, they seem to have no communication with the devs or at least they just ignore it. One of the Vatra devs conversation with a fan was posted on a SH forum where he was talking about how Konami were sending months old builds of downpour around to conventions and without even anyone there to demo it, just sending it out there to die.

Holy.
Shit.

What a mess, they put zero effort on it, or all the money went to the new voices which are quite bad....

BatmanBatmanBatman said:
Konami PR department is just fucking embarrassing. Not just do they constantly release shit like that, they seem to have no communication with the devs or at least they just ignore it. One of the Vatra devs conversation with a fan was posted on a SH forum where he was talking about how Konami were sending months old builds of downpour around to conventions and without even anyone there to demo it, just sending it out there to die.

Konami really seems to work like a small, imcompetent company, If I wouldn't know this company has in their hands a couple of multi-million seller IP's in their hands I wouldn't believe it otherwise.

Relaxed Muscle said:
Holy.
Shit.

What a mess, they put zero effort on it, or all the money went to the new voices which are quite bad....
I really wish HD reskinning ala Halo 1 would become the norm, even though I know that will never happen. Shit like this is an inexcusable travesty either way, though.

Angry Fork said:
Nobody should buy this shit with all new voices. Don't reward Konami's BS.
Even if the new performances end up being better in the end?

BatmanBatmanBatman said:
Hahahaha, oh, Konami. Remember the 90s and early 00s? Yeah, good times.

kunonabi

and the voices actually matched the characters. Besides Maria is already looking like an inferior performance already. Angela will be an improvement but the rest of the cast is doubtful.

SH3 will be a complete and utter trainwreck though.

Angry Fork said:
Nobody should buy this shit with all new voices. Don't reward Konami's BS.

The voices aren't the reason why I love these games. Why on earth should I refuse to purchase a videogame because of changes to the voice acting, which isn't even that great apart from Mary/Maria? We're not dealing with triple A voice acting that, without it, would damage the billion other great qualities about the game that contributes way more to what I like and enjoy about SH2.

Videogames rarely have great voice acting, and when they do, it's more of a cherry on the top. When I'm waist-deep in the atmosphere and am totally immersed in the environments, it's because of the art direction, the visuals, the sound, the music, the tension. The voice performances are okay during the cutscenes but I cannot say that they're the reason why I love the game so much.

I'm just indifferent. There are so many things that makes SH2 great to me. Some of the voice work is part of that, but only really from the work of one of the actresses who, IMO, was way better than the rest. But no, I'm not going to refuse to purchase a product just because one person out of a lot of people may or may not have been treated "unfairly."

legacyzero said:
There's was nothing wrong with them in the first place. They fit perfectly with the game.
Potential spoilers for anyone that hasn't played SH2-

Really? Nothing at all? Pizza.
(Sorry, I ran out of words to use.)

Don't get me wrong, SH2 is in my top 3 favorite games of all time, but the original voices/performances are nowhere near what I would consider a "perfect" fit. There's a lot about them I love, but there's a lot about them that I would change in an instant.

I honestly hope the new voices are better. It's not because I dislike the old ones, but because I would love to be able to take parts of the game more seriously than the original voices allowed me to. I think it would be really great if the new recordings actually benefit the game, and I'm willing to give them a chance because, at the very least, it will make replaying the game worth my time to at least see how things changed.

Typographenia said:
I honestly hope the new voices are better. It's not because I dislike the old ones, but because I would love to be able to take parts of the game more seriously than the original voices allowed me to. I think it would be really great if the new recordings actually benefit the game, and I'm willing to give them a chance because, at the very least, it will make replaying the game worth my time to at least see how things changed.

While the voice work was certainly not GOLDEN in any sense of the word, have you heard the new samples? They are dreadful, truly.

TheChillyAcademic said:
While the voice work was certainly not GOLDEN in any sense of the word, have you heard the new samples? They are dreadful, truly.
I have, and I said that I didn't mind them when they initially were revealed. My only complaints were MeM won't match Mary/Maria's original performance and that Eddie sounds a little strange, but I see no issue other than that. They're not as terrible as most people seem to make them out to be, in my eyes.

I'm sure people were angry that they recast the characters for the Resident Evil remake on GC, but I think that worked out pretty well in the end. Obviously, I can't make that same kind of call on SH2/3 at this point, as we've only heard brief parts of an early product that may or may not represent the final recordings in the game. Can't be worse than the VA in SH1, though.

Persona7

Banned
It seems like this game isn't anywhere near being done yet people were bitching about how the Xbox version caused them to delay this game.

Erigu

RadioHeadAche said:
For those worried about the voices, Guy Cihi said this today:
Well, I certainly wasn't expecting that. Not that I care all that much about the issue (or even the collection), but it certainly is nice to read. It was a bit disheartening how crass the whole thing seemed.

Wordsgohere

Neo Member
RomanticHeroX said:
So much drama to reinstate some truly terrible voice acting.
My thoughts exactly. I can't believe how fervently people have been complaining about this, but that's nostalgia, I guess.

mollipen

RomanticHeroX said:

It's the Star Wars argument. You want to make the product "better" later? Go right ahead - so long as you also give me the version I fell in love with, flaws and all.

shidoshi said:
It's the Star Wars argument. You want to make the product "better" later? Go right ahead - so long as you also give me the version I fell in love with, flaws and all.

Exactly. I know the VA isn't great, but I enjoyed it the first time I played the games and I still want to hear it in this version.

Angry Fork

RadioHeadAche said:
For those worried about the voices, Guy Cihi said this today:

NowYz.jpg
Will be interested again if this is true. Keep the original voices as an option for both 2 and 3 and I'll bite.

RomanticHeroX said:
Fans don't want the VA back because it's good, they want it back because that's how they remember playing SH2/3. There are also many arguments that the stilted/awkward delivery of the lines created a much creepier atmosphere because the characters seemed just as weird and alien as the world they were in. When you put in 'real' VA that's decent/good then it ruins that mood.

AnEternalEnigma said:
It's nostalgia. You change one thing about it, and it's suddenly not the thing that everyone remembers.
Shadow of the Colossus just isn't the same without its shitty framerate! Fuck you Sony!

Angry Fork

LiquidSolid said:
Shadow of the Colossus just isn't the same without its shitty framerate! Fuck you Sony!
To be fair you can still play it with that framerate at 1080p I believe =P

But yea not a fair comparison only because framerate hinders the game and players ability to enjoy it. Fixing the framerate in Shadow is more like Ridley Scott digitally removing the wires from the flying cars in Blade Runner. It's a change people can get behind because it's not something that affects the story/emotion/characters etc.

Signing his rights away together with Dave Schaufele (Eddie). Yup, seems like it is happening. Good on Tomm for pulling konamis hand out of its ass.

XF9tq.jpg

I'm glad everyone came to their senses, swallowed their pride, and got this thing done.

Mary McGlynn can still fuck the hell off, however.

BatmanBatmanBatman said:
Signing his rights away together with Dave Schaufele (Eddie). Yup, seems like it is happening. Good on Tomm for pulling konamis hand out of its ass.

http://i.imgur.com/XF9tq.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Awesome news. Was gonna pick the collection up eventually, but with this happening it's day one! :3

Yep, it's official.

Guy Cihi (James), Monica Horgan (Mary/Maria), Donna Burke (Angela), and David Schaufele (Eddie) have all signed waivers and their original VO will be available as an option for Silent Hill 2.

The guy you need to thank is Michael Ranja of Konami USA. He got this all rolling.

AnEternalEnigma said:
Yep, it's official.

Guy Cihi (James), Monica Horgan (Mary/Maria), Donna Burke (Angela), and David Schaufele (Eddie) have all signed waivers and their original VO will be available as an option for Silent Hill 2.

The guy you need to thank is Michael Ranja of Konami USA. He got this all rolling.

Vincent will hold us up. He always does.

EDIT: Actually, why is SH2 the dealbreaker re: VO and not SH3?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
AnEternalEnigma said:
Yep, it's official.

Awesome, this gives me a big reason to get these HD ports. I liked the original Voice Acting., but I am glad people can enjoy the new voices too.

AnEternalEnigma said:
Yep, it's official.

And with that Konami gets my money. For once Internet outrage has a productive outcome.

Now if only they would include Silent Hill 4.

UrbanRats

typo said:
Situation is being corrected? Sweet!
Fix the Diner blinds GFX and I'm going.

Yes, I'm picky.
Picky? It's not like they're giving you the game for free.
That's one cheap ass bug, in one crucial scene.

Thank you Michael Ranja of Konami USA. :D

Gokurakumaru said:
And with that Konami gets my money. For once Internet outrage has a productive outcome.
Well, we gave Capcom a nice spanking not too long ago with the perma-save backlash.

eggerland

Good to have everything back in the right place.

But I would't blame M.E. McGlynn. She has just trying to defend Konami's stand and, of course, trying to defend her new position with new voiceovers and direction. I can't blame her for having an opinion, true or forced, about Angela's original VO for instance. Also, I love McGlynn's songs too much, big part of "classic" SH personality belongs to her.

rvy

Banned
AnEternalEnigma said:
Yep, it's official.

Fucking Metal Gear Company, lol. They're cheap and they get away with it.

Top Bottom