• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT| So the industry might be mended

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankT

They can block it if MS allows it. MW2 iirc is the only game that has been allowed. I've yet to see where this has been confirmed either way for this one.

shadyspace said:
Why is it important for this game for chat to be disabled?
That's how it worked in Demon's Souls, the lack of proper communication adds to the atmosphere. You can still do gestures, but I think for the most part, I don't want hear 12 year old kids talking smack or whatever they do.

Cloudius12 said:
That's how it worked in Demon's Souls, the lack of proper communication adds to the atmosphere. You can still do gestures, but I think for the most part, I don't want hear 12 year old kids talking smack or whatever they do.
I don't even own a console with proper voice chat. Just wanted to know the design reason behind it.

Orayn

fuzzyreactor said:
my gf asked me to turn it off because she was getting scared
Well, I was going for "music for exploring ancient ruins by torchlight in a rainstorm," so I'll take that as a compliment.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Zeal said:
the engrish is pretty bad this time. i saw:

"YOU HAVE RETURNED TO THE HUMAN"

uh...yeah.

Great to hear. Demon's Souls had the most charmingly bad voice acting since Deus Ex.

YOO HAVE A HEART OF GULD

Orayn

Snuggler said:
Great to hear. Demon's Souls had the most charmingly bad voice acting since Deus Ex.

YOO HAVE A HEART OF GULD
Really? I thought the voice acting itself was quite good, and From's translations were ever so slightly "off," giving it an even more mysterious quality.

Max

I am not Max
Snuggler said:

YOO HAVE A HEART OF GULD
I thought the voice acting was superb...

Hating on Scottish accents?

ZeroRay

Orayn said:
Really? I thought the voice acting itself was quite good, and From's translations were ever so slightly "off," giving it an even more mysterious quality.

Yeah, the insanity of the world seeped through every NPC, whether the writing was on purpose or not.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Orayn said:

You're right, I guess I was speaking more about the translation and the dialogue than the voice acting itself, but it was pretty goofy at times. I wouldn't want it any other way, though.

Orayn

Snuggler said:
You're right, I guess I was speaking more about the translation and the dialogue than the voice acting itself, but it was pretty goofy at times. I wouldn't want it any other way, though.
You've got to love it when something manages to be both goofy and disturbing. KC Green pulls it off pretty well in his webcomic every now and then.

Image is clickable.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
shadyspace said:
Why is it important for this game for chat to be disabled?
They want you to feel that you are trapped in an hostile environment. That's the way they designed the game. In Demon's Souls, seeing those white souls fighting gave you hope that there are other people who are in the same situation as you, etc. It's pretty clever.

Orayn

Meisadragon said:
They want you to feel that you are trapped in an hostile environment. That's the way they designed the game. In Demon's Souls, seeing the those white souls fighting gave you hope that there are other people who are in the same situation as you, etc. It's pretty clever.
From also wants to emphasize roleplaying a bit more.
Your covenant will have a pretty dramatic influence on which players, monsters, and NPCs you're attacking, so they want you to act on that and totally get into the role without feeling embarrassed.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Reading that another GAFer went Pyromancer makes me kind of want to reroll..either wizard or cleric..

Can the opening movie be topped? I could argue for awhile that Demon souls fmv is the best ive seen in a few years. I think its the music that makes it.

rac

Banned
worldrevolution said:
Reading that another GAFer went Pyromancer makes me kind of want to reroll..either wizard or cleric..
I'm going cleric cause it looked like no one was plus lightning is awesome.

Soma

in-game pics of the winners of the shield contest designs:

1RTmW.jpg

Ceapx.jpg

wEHbJ.jpg

FRHrb.jpg

not a huge fan of the yellow one.

Canova

Banned
moonspeak said:
in-game pics of the winners of the shield contest designs:

not a huge fan of the yellow one.

None of them looks as good as dark silver or brushwood or spiked shield in Demon's souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom