• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT| So the industry might be mended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canova

Banned
BigAT said:
There's a huge difference between "console wars" and a consumer trying to make the best choice for themselves as an individual. I own both systems, I couldn't give a shit about fanboy nonsense, but that doesn't mean I don't want to know if one of the versions is superior so that I can have the better play experience for my money.

Then do your own research, you always know what it leads to every time you ask which system to buy it on.

wtf? do you guys honestly think i give a fuck about PS3 Vs. 360? i don't care what system i get it for, i just want the best experience.

my question was: i prefer the xbox 360's online interface and controller. boom, case closed on that front. with that said, is the ps3 version that much better in the graphical department to overcome the controller and PSN?

and when i say i prefer the online interface, i mean XBL. i don't like logging into psn only to find out that there is some bullcrap update that takes 30 minutes to complete. i also have online leagues for sports games on 360 and it would be nice that people could get into contact with me on XBL while i'm playing dark souls incase something came up in one of the leagues.

but again, it has nothing to do with which system is better and everything to do with this game. why is that so hard to understand?

Pumpkins

BigAT said:
There's a huge difference between "console wars" and a consumer trying to make the best choice for themselves as an individual. I own both systems, I couldn't give a shit about fanboy nonsense, but that doesn't mean I don't want to know if one of the versions is superior so that I can have the better play experience for my money.

Both versions are going to run at the same/similar frame rate and resolution.

It's not like one is in 1080p with 60fps and the other is sub-HD with 30fps. They're going to be nearly if not totally identical.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
wtf? do you guys honestly think i give a fuck about PS3 Vs. 360? i don't care what system i get it for, i just want the best experience.

my question was: i prefer the xbox 360's online interface and controller. boom, case closed on that front. with that said, is the ps3 version that much better in the graphical department to overcome the controller and PSN?

and when i say i prefer the online interface, i mean XBL. i don't like logging into psn only to find out that there is some bullcrap update that takes 30 minutes to complete. i also have online leagues for sports games on 360 and it would be nice that people could get into contact with me on XBL while i'm playing dark souls incase something came up in one of the leagues.

but again, it has nothing to do with which system is better and everything to do with this game. why is that so hard to understand?
yes because you didn't mention all that in your other comment.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
it doesn't have a better controller and i much prefer XBL over PSN (interface and the fact that i have more friends on XBL)

It's gonna be better on PS3, but if Xbox is your preferred console buy it for that.

Pumpkins said:
Both versions are going to run at the same/similar frame rate and resolution.

It's not like one is in 1080p with 60fps and the other is sub-HD with 30fps. They're going to be nearly if not totally identical.

well there were rumors earlier that the 360 version was compressed and had framerate issues. why is it a crime to ask if that is the case or not? no one is turning this into a console wars debate except the people saying "OH GOD YOU WANT TO KNOW WHICH VERSION IS BETTER!? DONT TURN THIS INTO CONSOLE WARS!"

Kyon

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:

lawd

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
There's really no point in debating it any further until we have peeps like Digital Foundry and Lens of Truth comparing them. Let us not crap up the OT of such a glorious video game.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
So..yeah..it's totally fine to ask which system to buy it on. I don't think anyone wants to start a console war. (PS34lyfeyo) But, again, we won't know until October 4th so there's not much point asking now.

There is no install for PS3 version.

Canova

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:

PS3 online community will be much bigger tha 360 community, if you want real dark souls experience then get ps3 version, there!

I doubt you like my answer

Canova said:
PS3 online community will be much bigger tha 360 community, if you want real dark souls experience then get ps3 version, there!

I doubt you like my answer

it's not about liking the answer. as i said i dont care, i have it pre-ordered on amazon for ps3. if no one knows about the graphics stuff for 360 at this point then i guess i'll stick to the ps3 version. i was hoping there might be some impressions for the 360 out there :/

Chiave

worldrevolution said:
So..yeah..it's totally fine to ask which system to buy it on. I don't think anyone wants to start a console war. (PS34lyfeyo) But, again, we won't know until October 4th so there's not much point asking now.

There is no install for PS3 version.
Are save files still locked? That's the main thing that pissed me off about DS. Especially since DS was the game that made my PS3 die heh

Pumpkins

FrenchMovieTheme said:
well there were rumors earlier that the 360 version was compressed and had framerate issues. why is it a crime to ask if that is the case or not? no one is turning this into a console wars debate except the people saying "OH GOD YOU WANT TO KNOW WHICH VERSION IS BETTER!? DONT TURN THIS INTO CONSOLE WARS!"

Ah right I remember that. But I also remember reading that it's going to be the exact same experience on both platforms.

Pumpkins said:
Ah right I remember that. But I also remember reading that it's going to be the exact same experience on both platforms.

well that can be taken a few ways. sure, the overall "experience" might be the same even with an inferior framerate but i would prefer the better framerate over the better controller

BigAT

Chiave said:
Are save files still locked? That's the main thing that pissed me off about DS. Especially since DS was the game that made my PS3 die heh
I lost a SL 140 or so character that I was extremely close to platinuming the game with for that very reason. Extremely frustrating. It pretty much marked the last time I played Demon's Souls.

Pumpkins

FrenchMovieTheme said:
well that can be taken a few ways. sure, the overall "experience" might be the same even with an inferior framerate but i would prefer the better framerate over the better controller

Fair enough. Can't go wrong with the PS3 version I'd say. I don't have much of a choice so I'm getting it for 360. :p

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Chiave said:

I'll turn on the console now and check. My suspicion is yes.

Yep - it's locked. Hence my yearly Plus sub.

Kyon

Banned
Pumpkins said:

i think the term was meant for the experience, not graphics

The_Monk

Do you guys plan to play with the best possible way to enter in the mood of the game world?

I remember, in Demon's Souls if I turned up the volume in the swamps, hearing trolls laughing it would be such a psychological barrier for me... Lol, I mean, this is a scary game, right? Right..?

Oh and please stop with "which version is better" answer me instead! Here!

Here, here!

keit4

Banned
I don't know how the people are so confident about the superiority of one of the versions. The only thing that we know for sure about PS3 version is that it's the lead version and that it has freeze issues, by the other way the only thing we know about the 360 version are the longer load times. I'm buying this for PS3, but arguing which version is better for now are just hypotheses.

J2d

DMPrince said:
you get cloud saving if you're a PS+!
If I stop subscribing to PS+ and then come back a couple of months later is my save still there? I'm getting Demon's Souls again and it would be nice not having to worry about the save file.

I'm an expert

The_Monk said:
Do you guys plan to play with the best possible way to enter in the mood of the game world?

I remember, in Demon's Souls if I turned up the volume in the swamps, hearing trolls laughing it would be such a psychological barrier for me... Lol, I mean, this is a scary game, right? Right..?

Demon's was probably the scariest game I played this gen, just a bit above Dead Space. It's not a spook you around the corner game, it's an oh fuck fuck fuck what's next kind of game.

J2d said:
If I stop subscribing to PS+ and then come back a couple of months later is my save still there? I'm getting Demon's Souls again and it would be nice not having to worry about the save file.

Your save will remain for 6 months.

Orayn

The_Monk said:

Here, here!
Blinds closed, no lights on, cup of tea at the ready.

Chiave

The_Monk said:

Here, here!
Oh god, that place was amazing. And it was a shithole!

I liked playing DS when it was nighttime when everything is quiet and dark. Made me feel like I was there.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
FrenchMovieTheme said:
it's not about liking the answer. as i said i dont care, i have it pre-ordered on amazon for ps3. if no one knows about the graphics stuff for 360 at this point then i guess i'll stick to the ps3 version. i was hoping there might be some impressions for the 360 out there :/
I'm with you. I don't care either. I also have it pre-ordered for the PS3. I just have more people that I play with on XBL and I figured I could get some co-op going with them easier. However, I will stick with the PS3 if there are significant issues with the Xbox version. While the OXM article is pretty high on it, there's no mention about performance. I couldn't care less about pixel counting.

Is there anyone looking at this thread that can tell us when the review embargoes are up for the west?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The_Monk said:

Lights off, curtains down. The only source of light will be a ring of candles surrounding me as I sit indian-style on the floor.

J2d said:
If your PlayStation Plus subscription expires then you will no longer be able to access Online Storage until you renew your subscription. However, any game saves stored will be kept for six months and you will be able to access them as before when you renew the subscription, as long as you do so within that six month period.

also.

If the developer has chosen to implement copy protection on their game saves, you can still copy those files to Online Storage but there will be a 24 hour period, after each save, before you can then download them on any PS3.

RiccochetJ said:
I'm with you. I don't care either. I also have it pre-ordered for the PS3. I just have more people that I play with on XBL and I figured I could get some co-op going with them easier. However, I will stick with the PS3 if there are significant issues with the Xbox version. While the OXM article is pretty high on it, there's no mention about performance. I couldn't care less about pixel counting.

Is there anyone looking at this thread that can tell us when the review embargoes are up for the west?

don't you DARE ask which version gives the superior performance before you drop $60 on it! don't you turn this into console wars!!!!!!!!!!111

Orayn

FrenchMovieTheme said:
don't you DARE ask which version gives the superior performance before you drop $60 on it! don't you turn this into console wars!!!!!!!!!!111
Asking is all well and good, the problem is that we don't really know yet. Either version could have unforeseen problems.

Orayn said:
Asking is all well and good, the problem is that we don't really know yet. Either version could have unforeseen problems.
so far we know the jp ps3 has freezing and from will be fixing that next week. we'll just hope the patch is out in NA/EU region day 1.

Orayn said:

asking is all that was ever done before people blew up.

anyways, i suppose either game could have issues. i think the ps3 version is safer at this point just because there is an example of how the game will run already on the system (DS). just unfortunate that there are no impressions of the 360 version

I'm an expert

I really like the lighting in the tutorial, and the game is much smoother than Demon's. PS3 THE BESTX0RZ CONFIRMED. I'm actually staying away from looking at my trophy list too much so as to not spoil, but getting 2 trophies in the first 5 mins is very..addicting.

The_Monk

Orayn, Chiave, INDIGO_CYCLOPS and Snuggler you are all crazy. :p

Pfft! I play this with a blanket on a cold winter, with water or coffee and some small light. Because I need light to show me the way.

The volume is on medium, and don't get me started on headphones or surround sound. It sure improves my experience but my heart goes crazy playing this game.

EDIT: In fact, I'm thinking about making my self-made Bonfire camp on my gaming setup. I need hope!

EXGN

ssolitare said:
Dark Souls certainly deserves 3 million sales, but I don't think that it will get that.

God man it so deserves it though.

Over in the Media Create thread, they were saying sales are pretty good so far. First day, some trackers had it at 100K+ which is amazing and there are sold out reports. The first game did like 30K week one, so it's a notable improvement.

While I doubt it will hit 3 million, I hope it does exceed all expectations. If any franchise deserves it, it's this one.

At any rate, I bet Sony is feeling mighty stupid right now letting this franchise go. Looks like the way better seller compared to White Knight.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I created my character, watched the intro, game crashed before loading the first area.

:mad: how does this shit pass bug testing?

The_Monk said:

At night, with all the lights off in the house, stereo turned up, with plenty of moon grass refreshments within easy reach.

kyubajin

worldrevolution said:
I really like the lighting in the tutorial, and the game is much smoother than Demon's. PS3 THE BESTX0RZ CONFIRMED. I'm actually staying away from looking at my trophy list too much so as to not spoil, but getting 2 trophies in the first 5 mins is very..addicting.
I remember getting ANY trophy in DS felt like a major accomplishment. I'm not liking this 2 trophies in 5 mins thing... yet I know it might be only the tip of the iceberg for hardcore trophies à la DS.

Orayn

sprsk said:
I created my character, watched the intro, game crashed before loading the first area.

Start up the game in offline mode, it's a problem with From Software's servers. They took them down to try and solve it, but it might be while.

1Vhaj.jpg

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Death Dealer said:
At night, with all the lights off in the house, stereo turned up, with plenty of moon grass refreshments within easy reach.

Nice, same here. I might deploy a cat on each side of the futon for a go-to source of furry comfort during the more harrowing challenge.

I'm an expert

sprsk said:

You have to sign out from PSN. http://darksouls.fromsoftware.jp/online/ Only offline play is available until next week.

kyubajin said:
I remember getting ANY trophy in DS felt like a major accomplishment. I'm not liking this 2 trophies in 5 mins thing... yet I know it might be only the tip of the iceberg for hardcore trophies à la DS.

It's not what you think, it's basically the same trophy set as DS but there's a few simple "tutorial" type ones. Kind of like Assassin's Creed 2.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Orayn said:
Start up the game in offline mode, it's a problem with From Software's servers. They took them down to try and solve it, but it might be while.

1Vhaj.jpg

It automatically switched me to offline mode though...

oroboros

Anyone who was wondering about the lock on system. you can still change which enemy you're locked on by just flicking the right stick just like demon's souls. not sure what the other player was doing wrong, but it works fine for me.

EDIT: Oh, and there are 10 save slots this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom