• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT| So the industry might be mended

Status
Not open for further replies.
Castor Krieg said:
Just cancel. That money can be used to support other developers as well. I'm sure From doesn't expect people to import en masse, given the game is in Japanese, and it releases so soon in the West.

Yea, that's true.

I'll at least wait to hear back from them tomorrow...

kyubajin

I'm so sad the game launch has been forever tainted by this seemingly lack of QA by FROM :( I know the NA version of Demon's Souls (the one I got) was patched already, was that game launch as problematic as DkS's?

kyubajin said:
I'm so sad the game launch has been forever tainted by this seemingly lack of QA by FROM :( I know the NA version of Demon's Souls (the one I got) was patched already, was that game launch as problematic as DkS's?

There were issues, and if I recall they even had to take down the server a bit. Maintenance as well. It sucks it happened, but they've figured it out and will roll out the patch soon. The online is important no doubt, but still playable and seems to run and look amazing. Could have been an oversight, or could have just been something they didn't expect.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Goddamn that OXM article has me hyped. I played Demon's Souls for the first time a couple months ago, and beat it with the help of the online wiki, gamefaqs, etc and it still took me around 35 hours. This time I plan on going in blind and not referencing anything so to hear that a guy is at 60 hours with the game and not even a quarter of the way done is amazing.

Makes me wish we had a Skyrim VS Dark Souls thread like that BF3 / MW3 thread, not to hate on either game but to discuss things like this article. I get the feeling this won't be the last comparison of these 2 games that gets made, especially when the US reviews of Dark Souls start pouring in.

Plus Dark Souls could use all the publicity it can get, :)

Asked a JP player running the stream if he really found Dark Souls harder and he responded with a "more". Oh can't wait.

I also found the little brother of one of my friends is a Demon's Souls fanatic. So I'm like oh snap. This kid has gotten more cool points.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
So does anyone know when the first western reviews are going to be out? From OXM and IGN UK, it looks like a lot of the outlets are being given plenty of time to try and get through the game.

sublimit

Banned
Yo Gotti said:
Makes me wish we had a Skyrim VS Dark Souls thread like that BF3 / MW3 thread, not to hate on either game but to discuss things like this article. I get the feeling this won't be the last comparison of these 2 games that gets made, especially when the US reviews of Dark Souls start pouring in.

Makes me wonder what Bethesda (honestly) thinks of Demon's Souls.

kyubajin

sublimit said:
Makes me wonder what Bethesda (honestly) thinks of Demon's Souls.
I'd really like to know what they think about the game, seeing how all Western studios only care about more sales and making their games more accessible to everyone instead of abiding by their own principles and goals like FROM seems to be doing.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Joe Shlabotnik said:
They probably love it, and aren't the least bit interested in making anything like it.

I'm sure there's plenty of things they'd love to borrow from the Souls series. Example, the left and right hands being separate and mapped to the triggers, this may have been natural progression for Skyrim but Demon's Souls also did it first 2 years earlier.

If you ask me the games already compete directly. If Skyrim ends up being a disappointment, meaning it's not a great leap from Oblivion, I could happily skip on it and only buy Dark Souls. If Dark Souls were to sell 3 million copies over a few months I'm sure a good chunk of those buyers may not buy Skyrim, so I would hope that Bethesda is paying close attention to what FROM is doing. I don't think they can beat them at their own game but taking a few notes here and there could do the ES series a lot of good.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Bethesda loves DS!

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
They compete? Really? I see them on totally opposite sides. My WRPG loving friends could not wrap their heads around DS. And me as JRPG freak (not so much nowadays though) pretty much had my gaming career resurrected by DS. They way they world build is also much different. DS/DkS already have everything laid out so you see it the way they want. Oblivion type games don't even care if you spend 80 hours doing non-story stuff. To me DS is like a modern day Mega Man game. And Elder Scrolls is a modern day MUD. Yeah that makes no sense. Anyway, I think each scratch a different itch, though if this fall is packed and you have to choose between one....

The_Monk

ssolitare said:
Dark Souls certainly deserves 3 million sales, but I don't think that it will get that.

God man it so deserves it though.

I agree. I guess for the people who never tries DS (360 only users) they now have the chance with Dark Souls, then you got the people who loved Demon's Souls, so I hope for the best.

I just wonder if it is possible to play dark souls + skyrim + october/november games and still have a life... =/

Orayn

Some of the comments on the OXM article surprised me - It sounded like DkS had piqued the interest of Skyrim fans, and they were eager to find out more about the other big RPG of the fall. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if a lot of the sales on 360 overlapped with people who would otherwise be fans of The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, and maybe even Assassin's Creed.

any word on what is superior? PS3 or 360? i have it pre-ordered on ps3 because demons souls ran so well, but i would really prefer to have it on 360 (better controller, better online setup to me). however, if there is moderate performance issues on the 360 vs. ps3 then i'll just stick with ps3

Foffy

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
any word on what is superior? PS3 or 360? i have it pre-ordered on ps3 because demons souls ran so well, but i would really prefer to have it on 360 (better controller, better online setup to me). however, if there is moderate performance issues on the 360 vs. ps3 then i'll just stick with ps3

PS3 is the lead version, so that's going to be the superior one in the end.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
We won't know until October 4th. No 360 release here in Japan. So if you really want it on that system I don't see why not to get it. I doubt it'll be a Bayonetta situation.

I'm still torn between the two versions. 360 is going to have the much better online interface and an analog stick in the right place, but PS3 is going to have more players since there's no JP 360 version and (possibly) look better.

InfiniDragon said:
I'm still torn between the two versions. 360 is going to have the much better online interface and an analog stick in the right place, but PS3 is going to have more players since there's no JP 360 version and (possibly) look better.

huh?

Chiave

InfiniDragon said:
Neither of those things is going to matter for the most part.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Just buy it for your favorite of the two consoles. The nice thing about only owning one of them is that I don't have to make a decision!

Let's not start any console war bullshit here. Pick it for the system that you want. Either way, it's another sale for From Software who deserves all the sales they can get.

Zeal

Banned
It looks fantastic on both systems, virtually identical. The game clocks in right under 4gigs, so there's no need for any compression on the 360, either.

That being said, I will be going with the PS3 version just because the DS community is transitioning over to it. I am sure the 360 will eventually develop a community of great players, too, so it's all good all around.

Anilusion said:
PS3 version is equal or superior in ALL ways imaginable. I don't see why people are having a hard time making up their mind.

it doesn't have a better controller and i much prefer XBL over PSN (interface and the fact that i have more friends on XBL)

kyubajin

pharmboy044 said:
Let's not start any console war bullshit here. Pick it for the system that you want. Either way, it's another sale for From Software who deserves all the sales they can get.
Agreed. FROM deserve all the money and recognition they can get and they have already won the PS3 crowd, time for the hardcore 360 crew to experience what it feels like to be punished this way.

Yo Gotti

Banned
OP needs added in big letters:

SAME EXPERIENCE ON BOTH PS3 and XBOX360

So that this console wars bullshit can be kept to a minimum.

I get people has their own preferences, but I don't get the interface comment.

Almost anything done in DkS online is done through ingame menus. (if it's closer to DS and it seems that way).

And I think party chat is disabled anyway (also dosn't make sense in the game context).

Pumpkins

pharmboy044 said:

I can't believe "console war" stuff still exists at this point in the gen. Nearly every game is multi-plat now, and if there are any differences between versions they're extremely minor.

Kyon

Banned
InfiniDragon said:

wat?

Max said:
Why import for $100+? Ridiculous.
Of course it is, but people have their reasons. Why do people import any games?

Anyway, I'm very curious to see more of the 360 version. Wonder how it would feel to play using the Xbox controller

BigAT

Yo Gotti said:
OP needs added in big letters:

SAME EXPERIENCE ON BOTH PS3 and XBOX360

So that this console wars bullshit can be kept to a minimum.
There's a huge difference between "console wars" and a consumer trying to make the best choice for themselves as an individual. I own both systems, I couldn't give a shit about fanboy nonsense, but that doesn't mean I don't want to know if one of the versions is superior so that I can have the better play experience for my money.

Canova

Banned
Just fucking ban anyone starting console war here. You douches stop asking which system to buy it on, do your own fucking research and stop stirring up shit here...especially the juniors

In Demons Souls we had no shit like this

Chiave

kyubajin said:
Agreed. FROM deserve all the money and recognition they can get and they have already won the PS3 crowd, time for the hardcore 360 crew to experience what it feels like to be punished this way.
Lol, your avatar is awesome btw

I think people are just uniformed. I don't see any 'console war' type shit going on here.

Kyon

Banned
a few of my friends seem to think the 360 version is better cause voice chat, but they have no clue it wont have it because i didnt tell them, oh well.

idk why ppl are fighting though lol guess thats what happens to games that go multi smh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom