• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT| So the industry might be mended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angst

Canova said:
impressive, but I dont think this thread will ever match Demon's Souls OT run. It's still active 30 months after it was created. Between OT and OT2 there are over 42K posts!
The thread will pick up steam once the game is out. People need to vent and will need advice on how to proceed. And if there are weird meta-games (something similar to CT and WT) there will be thousands of posts trying to figure it out.

worldrevolution said:
Thief is something I wanted (because of the key) to do but high dex builds just push me to ranged.

Do thieves start out with the master key even if they choose another gift? Are the binoculars a gift only or something you can loot?

I want both, so if thieves get the master key and a gift, I'll go with that and still get my
tutorial boss hammer
--if not I'll go deprived for the early stats.

Soma

Planning on going with Thief as well. But mainly because they look cool to start out with. :D

The high critical hits and master key aren't too bad either...

Zeliard

worldrevolution said:
Thief is something I wanted (because of the key) to do but high dex builds just push me to ranged.

Can you clear something up: Thief apparently starts with a Master Key, but you can also choose the Master Key as your "gift" at the start with the other classes, right?

I want a melee-oriented high attack/high mobility/low defense guy for the entire game, so I've been eyeing either Wanderer or Thief to start off with, but I'd rather pick Wanderer if I can also snag a Master Key with him.

Also since there are apparently a lot more weapons now there should be a greater choice of melee weaps that scale well with Dexterity.

Zeliard

That just makes the decision tougher. Bah.

What happens if you pick a Master Key with the Thief as your gift? Do you just have two? I assume that's totally pointless to do. :p

johntown

Banned
Zeliard said:
That just makes the decision tougher. Bah.

What happens if you pick a Master Key with the Thief as your gift? Do you just have two? I assume that's totally pointless to do. :p
Well maybe you could drop for a friend in PVP.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Yep you'd have two. It's the only gift you can't find in the game anywhere but from what I know it isn't a giant advantage.

And yes, the gifts are also somewhat meant to be tradeable to other people.

Facism

Giriath_89 said:
Deprived run getting that
tutorial boss hammer!

Can you only get it at that first encounter?

[edit]Is the master key a 1 use item and does it have any real importance?

Soma

so I'm checking out the dark souls wikispaces and according to them there's a total of
covenants. I thought there would only be like 3 or 4.

They are (spoilered because i dunno if some people wanted to know these or not):

- Way of White
- Princess's Guard
- Blade of the Darkmoon
- Warrior of Sunlight
- Forest Hunter
- Darkwraith
- Path of the Dragon
- Gravelord Servant
- Chaos Servant

worldrevolution said:
Yep you'd have two. It's the only gift you can't find in the game anywhere but from what I know it isn't a giant advantage.

The last bit has me really interested. How's your thief build going?

Zeliard

Can someone who has the game spoilerize what this starting gift actually does from a functional standpoint:

"Pendant

An item filled with blocked memories. Usage unknown, but recommended first Gift by the game's director, Miyazaki."

And starting off with one of the consumables as your gift seems pointless, especially since you can find those in the game world.

DuendeSmoker

Neo Member
kyubajin said:
My 1st and most beloved character in DS was a Soldier, I was about to beat the game when my PS3 died on me...

2nd character and the one I beat the game the 1st time with was a spellsword -- certainly his magic capabilities helped a lot in the darkest moments of the game but I sometimes felt like I was cheating for not doing it the manly way and hack and slash my way through the end.

Now for DkS, I plan on making a 100% melee + bow character (probably Warrior or Knight) from the get go even if I die a thousand times and cry like a weaned baby. Who's with me?

I am. I could not use magic on DS for nothing but support anyway. Always thought that greeting baddies with a warm great-sword-to-the-face was much more satisfying. I can't wait to see what kind of huge weapons this game has waiting for us.

Although I did a Royalty char once in DS, it ended being a Blueblood Sword build. And man, that hits HARD.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The wait is really starting to kill me... if I don't get to play this game anytime soon, I will rip someones head of.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
The last bit has me really interested. How's your thief build going?

Not going anywhere. Got invited to some 3rd Strike matches. Sigh I swear my luck won't let me play this game. Or I'm afraid. I think I really am afraid to just..start. But I think now..after long thinking..I want..a Knight...

Zeliard

Urban Scholar said:
*scratches chin & raises eyebrow* you don't say...

Trade you a Master Key for this here healing potion.

worldrevolution said:
Not going anywhere. Got invited to some 3rd Strike matches. Sigh I swear my luck won't let me play this game. Or I'm afraid. I think I really am afraid to just..start. But I think now..after long thinking..I want..a Knight...

You want a melee build and you know it.

worldrevolution said:
Hehe, eventually you'll get to it! Knight seems like something a lot of folks will go with. I know for me I'm going wanderer...

kyubajin said:
My 1st and most beloved character in DS was a Soldier, I was about to beat the game when my PS3 died on me...

2nd character and the one I beat the game the 1st time with was a spellsword -- certainly his magic capabilities helped a lot in the darkest moments of the game but I sometimes felt like I was cheating for not doing it the manly way and hack and slash my way through the end.

Now for DkS, I plan on making a 100% melee + bow character (probably Warrior or Knight) from the get go even if I die a thousand times and cry like a weaned baby. Who's with me?
I'm with you, man. Melee is definitely the most satisfying way to play these games for me. I'll be decked out with some heavy armor and a huge shield as well.

I'm an expert

Yeah I know haha. I do this with every RPG with jobs..scrutinize everything and I know in the long run for a game like Dark it doesn't matter. Cleric would probably the hardest for me to play in the beginning so it's an option, knight would just let me be badass. I did like my Pyro so maybe I'll keep it. He's basically a red mage.

The character creation is MUCH better but honestly..none of the faces to me are very attractive even after massive tweaking. I always change the chin/nose and lip color.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Ya'll think the character classes are going to be "balanced"? I recall having a ridiculously hard time with DS ( like everybody else ;P ) with my then melee character, then I went to my mates house and we literally made a joke of the first 30% or so of the game with a newly rolled royal.

Zeth

Are any good clips showing up on YouTube yet? I can't sit and watch streams, boring and kills the experience but I want to check something out.

Edit: does wanderer start with soul arrow? Anyone know what that class gets?

Corky said:
Ya'll think the character classes are going to be "balanced"? I recall having a ridiculously hard time with DS ( like everybody else ;P ) with my then melee character, then I went to my mates house and we literally made a joke of the first 30% or so of the game with a newly rolled royal.

By the end of your first play through all character classes can be pretty much the same, it only effects your start. So certain classes are easier to start with but have less souls to initially spend on upgrades (or something tot hat effect), but once you've played a bit it shouldn't be an issue.

I think I'll go Bandit actually. That's the class starting out with the best combination of vitality, strength and endurance for my purpose, considering the
tutorial boss hammer
has a strength requirement of 24 even when two-handed.

Orayn

Corky said:
I doubt they'll be balanced; they're not really meant to be. Having some choice in the power of your starting class is the closest DkS will come to having adjustable difficulty.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Maleficence said:
By the end of your first play through all character classes can be pretty much the same, it only effects your start. So certain classes are easier to start with but have less souls to initially spend on upgrades (or something tot hat effect), but once you've played a bit it shouldn't be an issue.
Orayn said:
I doubt they'll be balanced; they're not really meant to be. Having some choice in the power of your starting class is the closest DkS will come to having adjustable difficulty.

I see, so who looks like the "best" starting melee-based class?

Zeliard

Corky said:

That's because Royal is the easy mode class. You start off Soul Arrow and MP Regen. You can just sit back and lay waste.

I actually started with Royal my first time with DS, but after getting about halfway through I started over with a Temple Knight and found it much more fun (and I already thought it was fun as hell to begin with).

Seriously, melee is where it's at in these games.

Zeliard said:
Definitely. The combat is thrilling when you're right up in the faces of the enemies. Keeping an eye on your stamina and knowing when to block, roll, and attack is the bread and butter of Demon's Souls for me.

Apeboy

Zeliard said:

Yup. Unless things have changed significantly in DrkS, ranged attack with either spells or arrows was as close to a easy mode you could get in DS.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Zeliard said:
That's because Royal is the easy mode class. You start off Soul Arrow and MP Regen. You can just sit back and lay waste.

I actually started with Royal my first time with DS, but after getting about halfway through I started over with a Temple Knight and found it much more fun (and I already thought it was fun as hell to begin with).

I did the same (Royal -> Temple Knight) and 100% agree. In a lot of other games I stay away from the melee only classes but for Demon's Souls it was melee all the way.

Apeboy said:
Yup. Unless things have changed significantly in DrkS, ranged attack with either spells or arrows was as close to a easy mode you could get in DS.
Arrows are still great with a melee class though. Sometimes you need to use them to draw off one enemy at a time when there is a group of very tough baddies together. Also, 4-2. Freakin' 4-2.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is the save game unlocked this time?

and whats the equivalent of Royal this time round? I'm all for a slightly easier ride first time around. and 'easier' is relative in this game after all..

Zeliard

Not that it literally has to be melee and nothing else ever, of course (though I'm sure many have played that way). Some enemies, like flying ones, you can't attack without a long-ranged weapon like a bow, which is what I used to supplement melee.

But I definitely think a melee-oriented character is the most enjoyable way to play. It's the most challenging and it's where you can really see how the combat system shines.

worldrevolution said:

Can you trade anything in a game? That key may be very valuable to someone who wants it.

Orayn

mrklaw said:
is the save game unlocked this time?

and whats the equivalent of Royal this time round? I'm all for a slightly easier ride first time around. and 'easier' is relative in this game after all..
Saves are locked, though you have the option of cloud saving with a PS+ subscription.

The equivalent of Royal is probably
Pyromancer, who gets some nice magic and a beefy melee weapon.

ironcreed

Banned
moonspeak said:
so I'm checking out the dark souls wikispaces and according to them there's a total of
covenants. I thought there would only be like 3 or 4.

They are (spoilered because i dunno if some people wanted to know these or not):

- Way of White
- Princess's Guard
- Blade of the Darkmoon
- Warrior of Sunlight
- Forest Hunter
- Darkwraith
- Path of the Dragon
- Gravelord Servant
- Chaos Servant

Impressive indeed. I am going to have a hard time deciding which one I want to be affiliated with. Just have to wait and see.

The_Monk said:
Argh, just woke up, I'm kinda slow, but thank you for answering, sir.

:)

I'm considering having a bow for some ranged damage, but I'm not sure if I can't resist not having another melee build. But I know how hard it was in Demon's Souls... =/

Anyone going for melee builds or similar?

People that are going to get Dark Souls plan to get other titles in October, November? Cause I plan but to be honest I have no idea how to manage the time for so much titles + life.

I'm skipping Skyrim for now, although that was mostly because it was coming out near Skyward Sword, but now that I impulse pre-ordered DkS it's absolutely out of the question. I'm also passing on Arkham City for the time being. Basically I think I'm just getting Zelda now, but I am definitely getting Zelda.

I'm an expert

Sticking with my pyro. Tutorial done. But man..not liking how you perform kick/jump attack. It rarely comes out.

Zeliard

ironcreed said:
Impressive indeed. I am going to have a hard time deciding which one I want to be affiliated with. Just have to wait and see.

You can apparently break oaths as well, which has repercussions.

Apeboy

The_Darkest_Red said:
Arrows are still great with a melee class though. Sometimes you need to use them to draw off one enemy at a time when there is a group of very tough baddies together. Also, 4-2. Freakin' 4-2.

Agreed, there is a need for ranged especially in the scenario you mentioned. I'm thinking Cleric for DrkS with lightning might be my choice depending on the properties of lightning in game.

ironcreed

Banned
Zeliard said:
You can apparently break oaths as well, which has repercussions.

In other words, betrayal is going to be a bitch, lol. Even more diabolical threats stacked upon the insanity that is already there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom