• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT| So the industry might be mended

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I already found a pretty quick way to farm early levels with not much risk..but..it's definitely not 4-2. The enemies in this game (I'm talking in the direct vicinity of the starting area) are crazy. They evade and attack very smartly. I've literally been exploring this initial area for like an hour and haven't done shit. 100 hours.

oroboros

The_Monk said:
Good to know, thanks for answering.

No problem. Bow and arrow seems more useful now too.In Demon's Souls it always felt underpowered to me, but I can usually 1 or 2 shot a lot of the common enemies now. Much more rewarding feeling. There seems to be a bunch of types of arrows to purchase, so should be useful if someone wants to go with some sort of archer build. It seems totally viable to rely on bow and arrow as your ranged attack instead of falling back on spells. Haven't tried out the crossbow yet, hopefully it feels useful for people who like using them.

The game seems like it made a larger variety of playstyles viable. Even throwing knifes and other accessory weapons are pretty good in Dark Souls and I thought they were trash in Demon's.

Canova

Banned
Zeliard said:
Haha like I said, looks like no more early 4-2 mass soul farming. :p

No doubt it's still possible to farm souls to some degree but it's good that they're at least putting a limit to it. Was a bit too easy in Demon's Souls to soul-grind your way through, especially with the Evacuate spell.

oh shit, we're fucked!!

worldrevolution said:
I already found a pretty quick way to farm early levels with not much risk..but..it's definitely not 4-2. The enemies in this game (I'm talking in the direct vicinity of the starting area) are crazy. They evade and attack very smartly. I've literally been exploring this initial area for like an hour and haven't done shit. 100 hours.

That's good actually, for beginners and vets it's ground to get familiar with mechanics and tactics. It'll all be second nature in a few hours.

worldrevolution said:

Yes and the sheer number of enemies! Also the map is so much more complicated compared to anything in DemonS.

Also there has to be a more efficient way to take out skeletons that I am not understanding...

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I adore it since it's just more Demon's Souls but man I just played for 2 hours and feel exhausted and I HAVE NOT LEFT THE STARTER AREA. Having to restart for hitting an NPC definitely stung though. I might resort to using my PSN Plus cloud save as a sort of rollback in case I do something like that again. Just gotta upload it everyday.

kyubajin

oroboros said:
No problem. Bow and arrow seems more useful now too.In Demon's Souls it always felt underpowered to me, but I can usually 1 or 2 shot a lot of the common enemies now. Much more rewarding feeling. There seems to be a bunch of types of arrows to purchase, so should be useful if someone wants to go with some sort of archer build. It seems totally viable to rely on bow and arrow as your ranged attack instead of falling back on spells. Haven't tried out the crossbow yet, hopefully it feels useful for people who like using them.
Yes please, if you could provide any info on crossbows I'd be delighted! I really really wanna roll a heavy armoured knight with crossbow for range and wanna know if it's a viable build.

worldrevolution said:
I adore it since it's just more Demon's Souls but man I just played for 2 hours and feel exhausted and I HAVE NOT LEFT THE STARTER AREA. Having to restart for hitting an NPC definitely stung though. I might resort to using my PSN Plus cloud save as a sort of rollback in case I do something like that again. Just gotta upload it everyday.

That was the plan for me from the get go.

Zeliard

worldrevolution said:
I adore it since it's just more Demon's Souls but man I just played for 2 hours and feel exhausted and I HAVE NOT LEFT THE STARTER AREA.

Seems in line with that one dude who apparently has been playing for 60 hours and is only "a quarter" of the way through.

PuppetMaster said:
Yes and the sheer number of enemies! Also the map is so much more complicated compared to anything in DemonS.

Also there has to be a more efficient way to take out skeletons that I am not understanding...

If they have damage types again, then a blunt weapon smashes skeletons if you have or can find one.

I'm an expert

Zeliard said:
Seems in line with that one dude who apparently has been playing for 60 hours and is only "a quarter" of the way through.

To be fair, like DS, you can definitely cheese your way through it. After I hit that NPC I died and had to run back to check if he was indeed hostile for good. I literally ran through 15 enemies on bridges/stairs without getting hit once in about 30 seconds when it probably took me 15 minutes to get up there the first time. It's like how 5-2 took me a day to beat but now I can run it with my eyes closed in less than a minute. The same DS principles apply, once you know what the game has to throw at you it's pretty easy to shrug off.

Drewfonse

worldrevolution said:
I'm actually using my heals/spells like crazy because I know I can replenish them at the bonfires. Of course, it depends on how close you are to a bonfire. But not having to rely on item management in the form of herbs and mp drinks makes it much easier to say eff it and use your skills.

So yeah, file remade, took 5 mins to get back to the start. I adore the starter area. Big contrast from the Nexus. Lush and green. Now not to hit any NPCs..

Can you use bonfires more than once? How closely are they spaced out? Any drawbacks to using them? thanks!!

Facism

PuppetMaster said:
Yes, but they get back up now after you smash them.

On the stream i watched, they still had hp. They got back up after being smashed yes, but stayed dead when they ran out of hp.

Zeliard

worldrevolution said:
To be fair, like DS, you can definitely cheese your way through it. After I hit that NPC I died and had to run back to check if he was indeed hostile for good. I literally ran through 15 enemies on bridges/stairs without getting hit once in about 30 seconds when it probably took me 15 minutes to get up there the first time. It's like how 5-2 took me a day to beat but now I can run it with my eyes closed in less than a minute. The same DS principles apply, once you know what the game has to throw at you it's pretty easy to shrug off.

I like that they give you the option to just run past a bunch of enemies. It's 'realistic' and it's counter-balanced by you missing out on souls and items. Though they're supposedly more persistent about following you this time around.

One of the amusing things about Demons Souls is just how short from beginning to end the levels are, even without the shortcuts, and yet your first time through you spend ages in them. Almost all of your time in the game is spent in combat - the levels themselves can be traversed from beginning to end quite quickly for the most part.

PuppetMaster said:
Yes, but they get back up now after you smash them.

Wuahaha

jyx

Urban Scholar said:
Was there any doubt? This brings back flashbacks when we were desperate to import it and what not. Fun times.

I wonder what the initial shipment was? 100k?200k?300k?

Orayn

Drewfonse said:
Can you use bonfires more than once? How closely are they spaced out? Any drawbacks to using them? thanks!!
Spacing varies, worldrev can give you actual details.
Bonfires are reusable.
Using them causes all enemies in the area to respawn.

I'm an expert

Zeliard said:
One of the amusing things about Demons Souls is just how short from beginning to end the levels are, even without the shortcuts, and yet your first time through you spend ages in them. Almost all of your time in the game is spent in combat - the levels themselves can be traversed from beginning to end quite quickly for the most part.

This is so true, and I remember telling people in the DS thread way back this when they were crying about poison and swamps. All the levels in that game are super short and can be run through fairly quickly. I think my NG+ took me about 5 hours when my first game took me 60. I crept slow as hell with my shield up everywhere in that game. But once you know it, it's like knowing how a magic trick works, just loses that shine.

The enemies in Dark do chase you..quite far. But pathing can still mess them up, they clip so they can pass throw archways and stuff even if theyre too big.

As for bonfires I'm not far enough yet to see how spaced they are, others are. I'd assume not that scarce as the price you pay for using them is pretty steep.

Orayn

Foliorum Viridum said:
I hope the previous title comes back soon :(

I agree, streams are shit though and I don't get people watching them.
We can have a new title contest when it releases in North America, methinks.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Sold out makes my heart go all warm...

Orayn

jyx said:
I wonder what the initial shipment was? 100k?200k?300k?
Let's think... Xilia was a huge release and pushed >250,000, and DS's debut at 30,000 was considered a solid start. I'd say >100,000 would be a high, but reasonable estimate.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
We're using the same OT-title as we had before (so the industry might be mended) when the game is released in US/EU.

Zeliard

Dark Souls |OT| That game that makes your soul burn slow

:p

And I noticed there's no more Magic stat. Faith and Intelligence are still around. Does that mean they don't differentiate between magic and miracles anymore?

oroboros

kyubajin said:
Yes please, if you could provide any info on crossbows I'd be delighted! I really really wanna roll a heavy armoured knight with crossbow for range and wanna know if it's a viable build.

Crossbows are pretty good. Hard to tell since I don't really like using them. But I tested killing the same enemy with one vs bow and arrow. Crossbow killed with 3 shots opposed to 2 shots with bow. Bow seems more powerful so far because you can take precision shots and get more damage like shooting for the head. But I saw some expensive ass bolts for the crossbow that would probably one shot that same enemy. I think it will be useful for someone who spends the souls to get better ammo and upgrade or find better crossbows for quick auto aim shots when you need them.

Also does anyone know what the item looks like that
cures bad status effects such as poison and plague? I don't know Japanese and have been testing things, but I can't seem to find the correct item yet to cure. Those fucking rats, man.

Ugh being at work sucks, missing all sorts of impressions!

Well now NCSx id saying, on their website, that their copies won't be shipping until the 29th... Cancelling that shit.
What a pointless order.

Labadal

I just realized I have the LE ordered from zavvi. Might get the games after some people complete the game. (The low price was worth it.)

jyx

Orayn said:
Let's think... Xilia was a huge release and pushed >250,000, and DS's debut at 30,000 was considered a solid start. I'd say >100,000 would be a high, but reasonable estimate.

Makes sense! This is a ultra hardcore game, but I think the sales will be higher this time around.

Yoshichan

Labadal said:
I just realized I have the LE ordered from zavvi. Might get the games after some people complete the game. (The low price was worth it.)
baaaaaaaaaaaad mistake

Labadal

Yoshichan said:
baaaaaaaaaaaad mistake

Maybe, maybe not. I'm expecting it to take around 10 working days to arrive, but I don't think I will have any other problems (or at least I hope not). I have ordered from them many times, so I know what to expect.

Yoshichan

Labadal said:
Maybe, maybe not. I'm expecting it to take around 10 working days to arrive, but I don't think I will have any other problems (or at least I hope not). I have ordered from them many times, so I know what to expect.
Yep, same here... I still don't know how I managed to get Killzone 3 day 1 from them.

kyubajin

oroboros said:
Crossbows are pretty good. Hard to tell since I don't really like using them. But I tested killing the same enemy with one vs bow and arrow. Crossbow killed with 3 shots opposed to 2 shots with bow. Bow seems more powerful so far because you can take precision shots and get more damage like shooting for the head. But I saw some expensive ass bolts for the crossbow that would probably one shot that same enemy. I think it will be useful for someone who spends the souls to get better ammo and upgrade or find better crossbows for quick auto aim shots when you need them.
Thanks a lot for the info. I also read somewhere that you can finally reload crossbows while walking so that alone renders it not useless like before. The final piece of intelligence I need is whether they are upgradable or not, considering they weren't in DS.

BeeDog

Has anyone figured out yet what the long-ass codes from the official site are for? (the ones you got for solving that weird-ass background puzzle)

BeeDog said:
Has anyone figured out yet what the long-ass codes from the official site are for? (the ones you got for solving that weird-ass background puzzle)
"prizes" and such. Check the first few pages.

We'll, I've joined the ranks of non-importers. NCSx really screwed me and can offer no better explanation other than their distributor not having it for the weeks release whatever that means. Yet the game was released fine and they received other releases from them this week.

Orayn

jyx said:
Makes sense! This is a ultra hardcore game, but I think the sales will be higher this time around.
Namco-Bandai did a good job of building hype for this game by giving it a strong presence at tradeshows and making that brilliant "Bartholomew" trailer, and lots of sites have been putting up misguided, but favorable comparisons with Skyrim. If it breaks a million, I'll be overjoyed.

My import copy has already arrived in Sweden. Unless our local postal service don't fuck up (they're prone to doing that) I should be able to pick it up on Monday or Tuesday.

They seem to have fucked up my copy of Tales of Xillia though; it's been in transit from Stockholm since Monday and has not had any updates since.

EasyMode

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Ugh being at work sucks, missing all sorts of impressions!

Well now NCSx id saying, on their website, that their copies won't be shipping until the 29th... Cancelling that shit.
What a pointless order.
Just cancelled my order. I'll just wait for the 4th.

EasyMode said:
Just cancelled my order. I'll just wait for the 4th.
Yup same here, I think most of us who ordered from there will. They'll be surprised. Makes no sense that a company who placed an order wouldn't at least get their first allotment when other places did just fine. Not acceptable and no notification from them until later in the day yesterday. You think they'd know... Anyway done bringing it up, but certainly gets me a little bothered.

The good news is its on its way to being a huge seller!

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
The good news is its on its way to being a huge seller!

nothing would make me happier. feels damn good to know it's still possible to make an uncompromising game true to the vision of the designers, not focus-tested to death.. and have it succeed.

how long have From Software been making games, since early 90s or something? and they've never really had a proper hit, they've just got by making games for their fans... now if they FINALLY have a series on their hands that can make them financially more secure and even more free to do whatever projects they want.... that would be just fantastic IMO, they really deserve it. i can only imagine how happy they are to see the sales take off. i'm really rooting for the guys. i wish i could go to their studio and shake everyone's hands heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom