• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Rich!

Some HD shots I took while just messing around with my completed save on Dolphin:

OH MY GODDDDDD

Linking due to location spoilers (just locations, nothing spoiler-ish). Reduced to 720p, but still looks amazing.

http://s4.postimage.org/fgbegp3e/SX4_P01_5.png

http://s4.postimage.org/fha4qzgq/SX4_P01_11.png

http://s4.postimage.org/fhqo4gei/SX4_P01_7.png

http://s3.postimage.org/42bpuevca/SX4_P01_1.png

http://s3.postimage.org/42brhy7u2/SX4_P01_10.png

http://s3.postimage.org/42bt5hkbu/SX4_P01_18.png

Whoa, I just got spoilered by the Xenoblade Wiki on who the final boss of the game is while looking for where the hell I can find some "Bunnia Scent Wood", so if you don't want something similar to happen to you, steer clear of that place! It's not a really big deal, though.
I knew something was up with him when he seemed sorta benevolent, but still had glowy red eyes. I mean, why else would he have 'em?

Not really digging the
snow area (can't remember the name)
yet, it looks pretty plain compared to the feast for the eyes that is most of the areas. Those pee-colored lights aren't helping either. But I still really love how every new area seems to play differently at this point in the game.

Gvaz

Banned
magicalsoundshower said:
Not really digging the
snow area (can't remember the name)
yet, it looks pretty plain compared to the feast for the eyes that is most of the areas. Those pee-colored lights aren't helping either. But I still really love how every new area seems to play differently at this point in the game.
Valak Mountain.

Btw, what kind of sorcery did Monolith use to make the areas in this game entirely seamless, and if you want to warp to a different landmark in the same area, the warp is instant? Because I've never seen anything like this before.

Even areas you think might have load times like the field to Colony 9, or the Refuge Camp and the canyon where the merchent is on the Bionis' leg which seem like relatively separate areas have no load times between them. And if you want to warp to a totally different location, it's just like 5 seconds of loading.

Like, I'm not sure what they did or how they achieved this, because these areas are just ridiculously huge.

Oxx

The game does seem to warp you pretty quickly, but it can take a few seconds for your companions and enemies to pop-up.

Knux-Future said:
Still waiting.

Good to see the game running on a Samsung though.

When it gets here I can see it in person...if It gets here.

/sadknux
Just for you!

SQtVi.jpg

Loving the game so far!

mèx

Neo Member
Hello GAF, I have a question for you: is it possible to complete the quests after the end of the game? Because I'm 110 hours in and the quests are very very hard now (in fact they're impossible to do).

mclem

Bel Marduk said:
Btw, what kind of sorcery did Monolith use to make the areas in this game entirely seamless, and if you want to warp to a different landmark in the same area, the warp is instant? Because I've never seen anything like this before.

Even areas you think might have load times like the field to Colony 9, or the Refuge Camp and the canyon where the merchent is on the Bionis' leg which seem like relatively separate areas have no load times between them. And if you want to warp to a totally different location, it's just like 5 seconds of loading.

Like, I'm not sure what they did or how they achieved this, because these areas are just ridiculously huge.

I'm pretty sure the entire environment of any given zone is all in RAM at the same time. Plus all the textures. It's just too fast for anything else to be plausible.

There's often a delay while it loads in characters and monsters, so they're probably streamed; the designers considered it more important to get you into the area and playing before worrying about populating it.

MrDaravon

Asking for my wife, trying to avoid scouring the thread and seeing spoilers and whatnot. Using a guide or whatever if needed, is it actually possible to 100% the game in a single playthrough, or is it an absolute requirement to do a new game + (like does new stuff open up)?

mclem

It basically depends on exactly what you regard as 100%.

I *think* the only thing you'd need multiple playthroughs to unlock would be the full set of skill links. As long as you're okay with only seeing one side of 'choice' quests lines (and those generally join together again after a bit), then I think you're okay.

The only real danger against 100%ing in a single playthrough would be timed quests ('timed' in this game meaning 'becomes uncompletable after a given story event', not actually referring to time elapsed). However, I've used no guide, and I *think* I've got the vast majority of those done

MicH

LOL, guess what I got today!

My Xenoblade CE from game. Only six weeks after dispatch to EUROPE! Good thing they didn't get me a refund in the mean time.

-KRS-

So what's the general consensus? Japanese or English voice actors? I selected the Japanese ones immediately but is the English ones any good? Or is it like with everything Japanese in that it sounds stale in English?

meppi

synt4x said:
So what's the general consensus? Japanese or English voice actors? I selected the Japanese ones immediately but is the English ones any good? Or is it like with everything Japanese in that it sounds stale in English?
I usually select Japanese, but in this case I really like the English one.

Dascu

Max-Payne said:
Hello GAF, I have a question for you: is it possible to complete the quests after the end of the game? Because I'm 110 hours in and the quests are very very hard now (in fact they're impossible to do).
In the last dungeon, there's a point of no return: you move into a new area and fight the last couple of bosses, without being able to save in between.

So, you could: Play through the story and then go fight the final boss. Then re-load your last save (probably in the last dungeon, before you go to the final area), and do any quests you still have. If you do those quests first, then you'll be "too strong" in comparison to the last boss, so that's why it might be better to fight the boss first and then go back to do the quests.

synt4x said:
English dub is brilliant

mèx

Neo Member
Dascu said:
In the last dungeon, there's a point of no return: you move into a new area and fight the last couple of bosses, without being able to save in between.

So, you could: Play through the story and then go fight the final boss. Then re-load your last save (probably in the last dungeon, before you go to the final area), and do any quests you still have. If you do those quests first, then you'll be "too strong" in comparison to the last boss, so that's why it might be better to fight the boss first and then go back to do the quests.

Ok, I think I will follow your advice. Thank you!

The Eng dub is excellent.

mclem said:
I'm pretty sure the entire environment of any given zone is all in RAM at the same time. Plus all the textures. It's just too fast for anything else to be plausible.

There's often a delay while it loads in characters and monsters, so they're probably streamed; the designers considered it more important to get you into the area and playing before worrying about populating it.

Honestly, every game needs to use this method. It's soooo much better than waiting, especially if you're only doing one little thing or something. You almost never notice enemies (haven't noticed enemies popping in personally though) or your characters popping in later because you're already running around doing something, and they don't take long to pop in.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You'll notice if you ever do any save/load trickery to get good items from boxes that you can't usually do anything with the menu for the first ten seconds or so after you load a big zone. That's because it is loading all the geometry.

Man God said:
You'll notice if you ever do any save/load trickery to get good items from boxes that you can't usually do anything with the menu for the first ten seconds or so after you load a big zone. That's because it is loading all the geometry.

10? It's more like 5 for me.

LayLa

finally finished, 101 hours on the play clock is proof that this was easily my favorite JRPG for a long, long time

completed Colony 6 reconstruction, although Red Frontier was a huge stumbling block - had to keep reloading and checking the 6 drops in the final Special area to get 2 of them, only time i really felt like i was grinding

fought the final boss at level
and it was pretty epic!
I'd say that's close to the ideal level you'd want, anything higher and it would have been too easy

mclem

Man God said:

That would require some unusual seeking - "Load in everything near first then everything far away". It's also easily testable if you were to load a save somewhere with a big overview of the zone. Besides which, just *why* would it prevent you from entering the *menus* while it's loading the geometry, when *moving about* is a more pressing danger? I still think that at the time you gain control of your character, all of the current zone is in RAM.

I suspect it's more likely that it's because it's loading in the character models and possibly the menus themselves.

On that note, I don't think I've noticed any LODing. Which is a bit curious. Given the scale, I'd expect it to exist, but you can usually see *some* telltale signs, and I just haven't.

Kind of relevant to the loading topic: I don't know if you caught the video posted in this thread about a week ago of the Japanese person emulating with 3 monitors but in that you see in the left and right monitors smaller models vanishing* once they're ~30% away from the middle monitor (the middle monitor being what you can normally see).

*-I suspect that is for framerate issues or a polygon limit acting as a sprite limit used to in the older days.

MicH said:
LOL, guess what I got today!

My Xenoblade CE from game. Only six weeks after dispatch to EUROPE! Good thing they didn't get me a refund in the mean time.

6 WEEKS?!?!

Wait, i'm in California, and my order wasnt "despatched" until 9/21...so i should be expecting atleast 6 weeks from that time?

Oh good lord, this better be worth it!

Zwei

nah, what happened to MicH was an aberration. More than a few importers (myself included) have received their parcels from GAME in 1 - 2 weeks.

Let's just hope that you're not stricken with bad luck like RPGCrazied.

Yeah, i was glad to see that he was able to get the game from another gaffer (i'm relatively new, is that the correct term? LOL), and i'm happy that i was able to order Xenoblade and WKC:Origins (got that within about a week) from EU sites, as i was really upset that NOA wasnt bringing Xenoblade here.

I think i'll just keep my fingers crossed and *knock on wood* and all that stuff for luck.

Zwei

Knux-Future said:
AWWWWW YEEEEAAAAH I got my copy from GAME today. Only took about a week to get here.

fuck yeeeeah.

crappy iphone pic gooooooo

http://i53.tinypic.com/i1cje1.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

[B][I]Nice![/I][/B]

Jomjom

Banned
Where is the best place to order at the moment? I just keep hearing horror stories about cancelled orders, slow shipments, etc.

Thanks for any info!!

synt4x said:

English dub is well-done, but I prefer Japanese for this game because it seems more natural with the SF-anime setting. British English is better for traditional fantasy settings like DQVIII IMO.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
BrettWeir said:
Christ I want this game. Wtf is wrong w NOA???!!!! I refuse to mod my Wii, basically out of ignorance.

It's super easy and safe. Seriously, I'm an idiot and managed to put homebrew on my Wii in a matter of minutes with no issues.

Still twiddling my thumbs waiting for my copy of Xenoblade, though.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Spoilers are for late game stuff, don't highlight unless you're at least through an area with level 70-75 normal enemies.

I'm level 75 and I just got through
Bionis Interior. Lorithia was really annoying, partly because of those stupid minions she would summon, and she kept pushing Fiora (tanking) into the ether and the AI isn't smart enough to get out.
The framerate also sucked, it's been a problem for a while in the later parts of the game. Wish they had taken that into consideration in QA, it can get really annoying. Especially when an entire boss fight runs at ~10FPS.

Is it safe to assume the point of no return is coming up? Saved for the day at the beginning of Prison Island round 2. Need to level up Colony 6 more so I can buy some books because I still have skills I actually use that are limited to level 4, and I'd rather not go into the final boss or anything without beefing those up some. If the final boss is about level 80 (IIRC) then it's probably right around the corner, after Dickson.

LionFranco said:
6 WEEKS?!?!

Wait, i'm in California, and my order wasnt "despatched" until 9/21...so i should be expecting atleast 6 weeks from that time?

Oh good lord, this better be worth it!
So, so worth it. I'd expect 2-3 weeks, but you can hope to see it in 1-2.

And regarding the dub, I haven't felt a need to change it from English. Don't usually like Japanese VA anyway, but the English in this game is really good.

Zwei

aidan said:
It's super easy and safe. Seriously, I'm an idiot and managed to put homebrew on my Wii in a matter of minutes with no issues.

Yep, this applies to me also. Modding my Wii took like 8 minutes. It's a case where, before you even realize it, your Wii already has homebrew.

EDIT - I used the 'Letterbomb' method, by the way.

Hiltz

aidan said:

Still twiddling my thumbs waiting for my copy of Xenoblade, though.

I'm also ignorant when it comes to this kind of stuff but the process is honestly super simple if you use the Letter Bomb method. All you need is an sd card, sd card slot on your pc, download winzip/winrar on to your pc and know how to unzip files and drag and drop them into your sd card folder. The on-screen instructions for installing Gecko Os is as easy as pressing the install button. The only problem I had was a minor issue that was solved by just turning off one setting in the options menu.

RPGCrazied

So um. I'm level 79, geeze this is slow. I want more quests. I tried the
Alcamoth area, those seem to be mid to higher 80's, can't do those. Same thing with the Tephra Cave. Anything about my level? I guess grind more in the last dungeon. I want to be 85 or so before trying last boss again.

RPGCrazied said:
So um. I'm level 79, geeze this is slow. I want more quests. I tried the
Alcamoth area, those seem to be mid to higher 80's, can't do those. Same thing with the Tephra Cave. Anything about my level? I guess grind more in the last dungeon. I want to be 85 or so before trying last boss again.
You could always start by trying to unlock the
4th and 5th skill trees for each character.
Some of them are at the end of long quest lines with lots of EXP, and some of the later ones have you fighting high-level uniques. Or you could always try and get some achievements, which give you EXP. But at your level, the Hoxes/Gogols on the Bionis' Leg should get you two or three levels pretty quickly without many problems.

mclem

Starwolf_UK said:
Kind of relevant to the loading topic: I don't know if you caught the video posted in this thread about a week ago of the Japanese person emulating with 3 monitors but in that you see in the left and right monitors smaller models vanishing* once they're ~30% away from the middle monitor (the middle monitor being what you can normally see).

*-I suspect that is for framerate issues or a polygon limit acting as a sprite limit used to in the older days.

It's standard practice to cull any content the player's not going to see this frame. It's nothing particularly unique to Xenoblade.

It's better still if you can also cull things obscured by objects in front of them, but that's hard to do.

So, you guys who say you are idiots and were able to mod your Wii's, can you link to the exact walkthrough you used?

And how exactly does it work if i want to play my regular games. I heard that there is homebrew that is pretty much only active if you have the sd card with the homebrew on it actually IN the Wii? Is that correct? I just dont want to mess up the ability to play any of my other games by modifying the Wii.

EDIT: I've modified my PSP before with CFW, but that was because i had 2, and wasnt afraid if one of them bricked, but i'm a little scared of modding the Wii and somehow bricking it.

Top Bottom