• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni PS3 named "Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch" for overseas

This is one of my most anticipated games of 2012. If they manage to capture the spirit and feeling of a Miyazaki movie in a game, I can see myself spending hundreds of hours in this game.

Tiktaalik

Good name

Surprised they're sticking with Ni no Kuni instead of, what was the translation, "Another World" or "The Other World?"

Go_Ly_Dow

You might want to change the overseas part in your thread title to North America.

It hasn't been confirmed for any other regions.

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
Did they really not bother translating 'Ni no Kuni'? Dumb.

Sounds stupid though. "Another World" is already the name of another game, so would lead to confusion, ad the more literal translation of "The Second World" also just doesn't sound very natural.

Aeana

cpp_is_king said:
Sounds stupid though. "Another World" is already the name of another game, so would lead to confusion, ad the more literal translation of "The Second World" also just doesn't sound very natural.
There are myriad other things they could have chosen besides those. It doesn't have to be a direct translation.
Leaving Japanese is not a good idea.

salromano

I don't think 'Ni no Kuni' would market well here.

Still, I'm used to the name so I don't mind. I'm just worried about how those unfamiliar with the game will take it.

cj_iwakura

Aeana said:
There are myriad other things they could have chosen besides those. It doesn't have to be a direct translation.

Some things have a better flow in Japanese. 'When The Seagulls Cry' versus 'Umineko no Naku Koro Ni' for example.

I'm fine with the title.

randomkid

Keeping "Ni no Kuni" in the name is so unbelievably stupid, I really can't believe they left it.

Also, this would be yet another nail in the coffin for the DS version right? Was always a long shot it would make it here, but it's still too bad.

Tiktaalik

With the art it has, Ni No Kuni has the potential to reach a wider audience, but with a Japanese name it's going to be relegated to the niche bin along with Shin Megami Tensei.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Aeana said:

Well... It (sort of) worked for Shin Megami Tensei. :p

Go_Ly_Dow

They really should have shown the game at E3.

Would have been a great place to push the Ghibli link.

Plus they could have shown how pretty the game is on the big stage.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
cpp_is_king said:
the more literal translation of "The Second World" also just doesn't sound very natural.
What? It sounds magical and awesome! It invites curiosity -- makes you wonder what "Second World" means. And at least English speakers could glean some meaning from it -- Ni No Kuni is just gibberish to most English speaking folks.

Aeana

ULTROS! said:
Well... It (sort of) worked for Shin Megami Tensei. :p
It works because the games are very Japanese.
Ninokuni is not. There's no reason to leave that title in Japanese.

Also, cj_iwakura, you seem to think that only direct/literal translations can work. You can communicate the same ideas with different words. Take a look at the subtitles of the Dragon Quest games in NA - they are far from direct translations of the original Japanese subtitles, but they work very well.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
M_Night said:
Do we have sales numbers for SMT games?

Remember that Persona doesn't carry SMT in the name.

Persona 4 does:

boxart-468x.jpg

IIRC, this is Atlus' best selling internally-developed game (I think).

cj_iwakura

M_Night said:
Do we have sales numbers for SMT games?

Remember that Persona doesn't carry SMT in the name.

They do in the states, but they haven't made as big a deal with it lately, it's just kind of there. The only ones that ever had it in Japan were 1-3, Strange Journey, and Devil Summoner(the original, not Raidou).

Also, Catherine was officially their best selling game ever in the US. I believe it even outdid Demon's Souls.

randomkid

If they wanted to keep an exotic sounding title at least choose a single word, jeez. Ponyo and Nausicaa at least have a nice flow in English. Ni No Kuni is just so dumbly awkward, too many syllables, completely unnatural sounding.

Aeana

randomkid said:
If they wanted to keep an exotic sounding title at least choose a single word, jeez. Ponyo and Nausicaa at least have a nice flow in English. Ni No Kuni is just so dumbly awkward, too many syllables, completely unnatural sounding.
At the very least, they could have used Ninokuni without spaces.
But honestly, considering the type of game it is, the setting it has, associating it with Japanese is a bad idea.

I'm glad we got Spirited Away instead of Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi or even The Mysterious Disappearance of Sen and Chihiro.

Coxy

Ni No Kuni sounds fine to me and infinitely better than the inevitable White Witch Chronicles or similar alternatives they would have used

Angry Fork

Should've changed Ni no Kuni to Action Shotgun Pump: The Fourth Bloody War

Glad they kept Ni no Kuni, fuck marketing bs

Keeping the name in Japanese is embarrassing.

The purpose of localization is to localize things, to bring the experience of the original language into a form that those who speak another language can access and comprehend -- not to hold the content at arm's length and feed into the kind of cultural fetishism that elevates the mundane to transcendence as long as it's not written in Roman characters.

This is definitely a case where a direct translation is a bit problematic (the best choice, "Another World," is rather conspicuously unavailable) but to look at that challenge and say "oh, it's too hard! let's just give up and punt" is unprofessional -- and basically guaranteed to hurt the game's performance in the West.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
^ well put.

Brazil said:
Yes, we definitely would.
I wouldn't, but I'm sure others would.

And there's nothing wrong with that. Some people like some things, other people like other things.

I'm getting sick of people saying GAF does nothing but complain.

salromano

charlequin said:
Keeping the name in Japanese is embarrassing.

The purpose of localization is to localize things, to bring the experience of the original language into a form that those who speak another language can access and comprehend -- not to hold the content at arm's length and feed into the kind of cultural fetishism that elevates the mundane to transcendence as long as it's not written in Roman characters.

This is definitely a case where a direct translation is a bit problematic (the best choice, "Another World," is rather conspicuously unavailable) but to look at that challenge and say "oh, it's too hard! let's just give up and punt" is unprofessional -- and basically guaranteed to hurt the game's performance in the West.

I think I saw a "Second Land" translation floating about a while back.

"Second Land: Wrath of the White Witch" doesn't sound so bad.

Edit: Second World: Wrath of the White Witch, Another Land: Wrath of the White Witch, or even New Land: Wrath of the White Witch doesn't sound bad, either.

cj_iwakura said:
Also, Catherine was officially their best selling game ever in the US. I believe it even outdid Demon's Souls.

Wrong wrong wrong. Catherine had Atlus' largest initial shipment ever but its sellthrough to date is lower than a large number of their titles and not even remotely close to Demon's Souls, which was already their best-selling game by a good margin before it went Greatest Hits (and thereby racked up far, far more sales.) I go into it in a bit more detail here.

This is some nonsense that came from several severe misreadings of the available information and I want to nip it in the bud before it spreads.

cj_iwakura said:
I bet if they changed it, we'd have people complaining about not using the original title.

Yes, but only the wrong kind of people.

Aeana said:
I'm glad we got Spirited Away instead of Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi or even The Mysterious Disappearance of Sen and Chihiro.

Spirited Away is a really masterful title localization, given how descriptive and evocative it is.

Top Bottom