• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA on Vita - New screens, previews and information

Kerrby

Banned
Some people said this deserves a new thread, new news = no thread? The junior can't make a new thread so here it is.

SolidSnakex said:
FIFA Vita

lJdDT.jpg

AIkPX.jpg

iyXYX.jpg

gsRzp.jpg

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-10-24-fifa-football-playstation-vita-pics-screenshot-gallery

mocoworm said:
More on FIFA VITA (I posted this in the FIFA thread but it may be appreciated here as well)

EA details FIFA Vita controls, online

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-10-21-ea-details-fifa-vita-controls-online

FIFA Football on Vita properly bridges the gap between handheld and console sports sims for the first time, so says the game's associate producer.

EA's Matthew Prior told Eurogamer that the forthcoming Vita take on the best-selling footie franchise is an almost perfect reproduction of the home console version.

"It's built entirely on the next gen engine," he revealed at an EA showcase last week.
"There are certain features on FIFA 12 that we weren't able to include because we were porting it over and it's hard to port a moving target. It doesn't have the new physics engine but everything else is pretty much there.

"The device isn't as powerful as the PS3 so it's a testament to our guys that they've been able to get the engine onto this device. You'd have to be a super-afficionado of FIFA to notice the difference."

The one major addition EA has made with the Vita version is the inclusion of touch screen controls. You can tap anywhere on the system's screen to accurately direct a pass or thread a through-ball, or flick the rear touch-pad to shoot. Set-pieces can also be orchestrated via the touch screen, "kind of like Flick Kick Football on the iPhone".

"This opens it up to a new level of intelligent play," explained Prior. "Maybe in the past I could see a killer through-ball in FIFA but couldn't make that ball as I couldn't feather the controls right or get the power right. Now you can do it relatively straightforwardly."
Judging by our brief hands-on time with the game, directing passes around the field works rather well. However, the rear touch pad features are more problematic, with it proving all too easy to accidentally nudge the panel and send the ball flying mid-dribble.

Prior insisted that it gets easier to manage the more you play and added that raditionalists can switch off the touch controls all together should they choose to do so. "All these controls are supplementary to what's already there. If you want to play as you would on the PS3, all that control is there. We've not forced users to use the touch screen - it's just a feature we've used to enhance the experience and make it unique to the platform."

The online experience isn't quite as comprehensive as it is on home consoles, but EA has managed to get core one-on-one matchmaking up and running. "We've got full online so you can play against any other user in the world. We've got friend invites and so on and so forth," said Prior.

"We just want to make sure we've got the core, most popular features on there and allow users to play on a worldwide basis. Moving forward, FIFA 12's other modes are things we might try and bring in."

He went on to explain that it's always difficult getting online play set up on brand new hardware, and that EA would rather be conservative than over-reach and release a sub-standard product. "It's never easy to be first on any system. It presents a number of challenges, which is part of the reason we didn't reach for the moon straight away and have Ultimate Team and all the rest of it. You're setting yourself up to fail as there are so many unknowns." Prior argued that FIFA Vita could be a watershed moment for sports games on handheld systems.

"For me, I was never a big handheld gamer but this really bridges the gap between consoles and handheld. Previously if you'd compare the Xbox version to the DS game there was a huge drop in quality. Now the Vita brings that console experience into the palm of your hands. It has converted me."

FIFA Football is expected to be a Vita launch title in February.

FIFA on PlayStation Vita Hands-on Preview
FIFA Vita Producer Matt Prior came up on stage to talk a little bit about FIFA Vita, where he described it as “the most complete and deep FIFA on a handheld console” – saying that it was “Full of depth from EA Sports” with career mode and online gameplay all included in the Vita version. But how does it play?

The first thing we noticed was the sheer beauty of the graphics in this build of FIFA Vita. EA has seemingly used every pixel possible to make this game look very impressive indeed. The colours are rich and deep in the menus as well as on the pitch. Having played FIFA 11 on the PSP just recently, the Vita’s power is really a gargantuan leap forward for handheld gaming, something which is sure to please those that decide to buy the handheld when it launches in Europe on February 22nd, 2012.

New to FIFA Vita will be the use of touch screen controls. Players can literally touch which player they want to pass to, and the same goes for shooting and set pieces. For shooting, players can utilise the rear touch panel on the Vita and think of it as a virtual goal — wherever players tap on the rear, is where the players aim, “taking the shooting away from the AI and giving it back to the player” said Prior. Free-kicks are also a little more versatile, and players can swipe the screen to set the amount of curve they want to have on a free kick. All of these things are optional of course, and players can play in the conventional way should they choose to.

Obviously we took the touch controls for a spin, and the results were mixed. While in concept they sound amazing, we found it pretty hard to add another process to what is already a game which requires sharp reactions and decision making from the player. Lifting the right hand from the controller to touch a player we wanted to pass to and then getting back to the buttons to either play a first time cross or shot takes extra time, meaning defenders can be right on top of you before you have the right amount of power in the cross or shot.

http://www.godisageek.com/2011/10/fifa-vita-hands-impressions/

Quoted the important bits, left out the stuff about FIFA outselling PES 25-1.

credit goes to mocoworm and SolidSnakeX

Looks like more previews and hands on will be coming out soon.

Corto

This will make my Vita a FIFA machine for a few months on... Looks stunning. I hope though that the dev doesn't fall into the temptation to showcase the touch controls and the second analogue with some crazy control schemes.

jonno394

As I said in the other thread i'd like to know more about any chance you can transfer your VP from the console version to handheld as that would make this a guaranteed buy; if not i'll stick to the PS3 version.

mocoworm

jonno394 said:
As I said in the other thread i'd like to know more about any chance you can transfer your VP from the console version to handheld as that would make this a guaranteed buy; if not i'll stick to the PS3 version.

They would be foolish not to offer some kind of incentive as many VITA owners will be PS3 owners looking to continue their experience away from the living room.

I would expect these kind of 'hooks' to permeate the whole VITA experience from day 1.

jiggles

Banned
The shots in the OP are supersampled from 4800x2720 (wtf?) screens.

These are the same shots with the free AA removed, which should be closer to what you'll see on the screen:

M7o2b.jpg

MjW6D.jpg

7FdXc.jpg

Corto

jigglywiggly said:
The shots in the OP are supersampled from 4800x2720 (wtf?) screens.

These are the same shots with the free AA removed, which should be closer to what you'll see on the screen:

Now imagine those in a beautiful OLed... nhom nhom nhom

besiktas1

The only thing that worries me is that it says the new physics engine isn't included. Does that mean the new player impact engine or the gameplay physics...

Captain N

mocoworm said:
They would be foolish not to offer some kind of incentive as many VITA owners will be PS3 owners looking to continue their experience away from the living room.

I would expect these kind of 'hooks' to permeate the whole VITA experience from day 1.

They might not have had the hooks in Fifa 12 on PS3 to make this happen. They will most likely add it into Fifa 13 and have a reason to sell you a 2nd Fifa in 2012 for the Vita.

Massa

Fuck yeah they're using the next-gen engine. FIFA 12 was the first I didn't buy on PS3, will get it on Vita.

PunchyBoy

Banned
That's impressive how EA messed up with the 3DS version, using a shitty engine, no online mode, and will be crying for low sales, although que PSVita got the version with the newer engine and online mode.

Spiegel

besiktas1 said:
The only thing that worries me is that it says the new physics engine isn't included. Does that mean the new player impact engine or the gameplay physics...

Probably this is Fifa 11 + updated rosters.

Massa

PunchyBoy said:
That's impressive how EA messed up with the 3DS version, using a shitty engine, no online mode, and will be crying for low sales, although que PSVita got the version with the newer engine and online mode.

Vita and 3DS have system specs on completely different ballparks.

Spiegel said:
Probably this is Fifa 11 + updated rosters.
Yup. Whenever EA ports a game to a new platform it seems like they port over last year's game and then try to port over as many new features as they can. PS3 titles I guess are the exception as the first Madden, NHL and FIFA games were on par with 360 except for the framerate the first year they putt them out on PS3.

This also is probably the first handheld title they've made thats close to being on par with the best versions. More often than not they've been porting PS1 or PS2 versions to handhelds.

solarus

This looks... Surprisingly good. Either EA is putting effort into a handheld launch title for once, or development on vita is so easy that it doesn't take much effort to produce a console quality game on Vita. Sony NEEDS to market the shit out of this.

Sounds like it's not going to be what I wanted from Fifa, I'll wait for the next game that will come out with Fifa 13 and see what they do with that since there seems to be no mention of crossplay at all with that version.

NHale

Looks surprisingly good. The pitch looks terrible though.

So this version has tactical defending or not? If it has, it's my killer app for Vita.

El-Suave

It would be cool if I could import and manage my Ultimate Team on Vita.

Edit: Oh, he says you can't yet. I wouldn't need to play, just build teams with the cards I have on PS3. Sort of like an App.

Plays like a dream (had no problem transfering my tactics/style from the PS3 version to this one) and looks amazing on the Vita screen. Really impressive stuff on a whole, and the perfect launch title.

Takao

Banned
Now that NHL 2K is dead I only have one horse putting a carrot in front of my nose!

Give me NHL 13 on Vita!

thuway said:
Am I wrong in thinking this looks more PS2 esque than PS3?
It's not as detailed as FIFA 12 on PS3 (it's missing the grass as well as other things), but it looks damn good and nothing like the PS2 FIFAs.

This is a first gen title as well; this is how FIFA 2001 on PS2 looked for comparison:

89400_full.jpg

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Serious question. Is the Vita from a hardware point of view not capable of anti aliasing? The screens look great apart from the lack of AA.

Takao

Banned
Serious question. Is the Vita from a hardware point of view not capable of anti aliasing? The screens look great apart from the lack of AA.

It's capable of anti-aliasing. It's actually more than capable, IIRC some of the chips in it should be able to do AA without much of a resource draw. It's just that a lot of these games are being made from PS3 code quickly and aren't insanely optimized.

Am I wrong in thinking this looks more PS2 esque than PS3?

This is not to pick on you, but it is getting tiresome when people keep comparing Vita screenshot blown up to 3-5 times it's native size and say the graphics look bad. Well of course, they are meant to be viewed on a 5" screen not a 15" laptop screen or 23" monitor. Image quality consists of resolution, screen size, and distance. For instance 720p on a 40" 5 feet away will look worse than 1080p, but at 10 feet away most cannot distinguish the difference. Same thing happens when you sit the same distance but shrink the screen size, it becomes harder to tell the difference, which is why cell phones and handhelds are somewhere around 480p.

Sorry for the rant but I think that is why the original poster made the images smaller in the first post. Because that is closer to what the product will actually look like.

soultron

Banned
I cannot wait to hear a Brit say "Fifer on Viter," because I know that somewhere in Britain, there is an accent that will make this possible.

Game looks rad, by the way. Don't know why people are picking it apart.

Wazzim

Banned
It's capable of anti-aliasing. It's actually more than capable, IIRC some of the chips in it should be able to do AA without much of a resource draw. It's just that a lot of these games are being made from PS3 code quickly and aren't insanely optimized.

Yup, many games like Wipeout use the PS3 code. The second wave of titles should look and run even better.

mxgt

Banned
I cannot wait to hear a Brit say "Fifer on Viter," because I know that somewhere in Britain, there is an accent that will make this possible.

Game looks rad, by the way. Don't know why people are picking it apart.

I think that's how pretty much all of us would say it

Top Bottom