• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA on Vita - New screens, previews and information

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
yup - i'm happy that the system reverted back to Fifa 2011 in a lot of ways.

Thats what i`ll do - why be a Beta tester when the "real" Version is just a couple of months away :)

if you take that attitude you're likely never going to buy a Fifa game ever! i'm sure we'll get a "Euro 2012" game any moment, then 2013.

Go on - get in there ! It's not a beta version at all - it's ALL OVER YOUR FACE the best handheld soccer game ever made.

Massa

Weird because I saw a video blog from a dev saying FIFA Vita played exactly like FIFA 12. In this case I will just wait for a huge price drop before the Summer or wait for a decent FIFA to be launched for the Vita.

Vita launch games is starting to disappoint me every time something is revealed about the games (no online for MNR, this, Wipeout load times, F1 2011 looking like a PS1 game, etc.).

It definitely looks like it. To me this seems like EA holding the dev team back so they could sell this game to those desperate for FIFA on the go and then in September they can sell another game because they added the features that were on FIFA 12 + Ultimate Team.

And if they release UEFA Euro 2012 for the Vita, it's 3 football games in a 7 month period.

They did the same thing when they first ported the new engine to PC. It's nearly impossible to work on a moving target (FIFA 12 in this case), so they port the previous version and then sync with the other ones.

Similarly the WebKit version used by Sony on the Vita and PS3 is from 2010, which is when they branched and started porting to Vita and PS3. Now that the port is done they'll merge their changes back to the latest version and keep it in sync.

Fixed1979

Ever since I read an article on the Fifa team in Edge (July 09), I've been a fan. This game is no exception, really digging it, it deserves an OP, but I'm way too lazy.

Afrikan

Ever since I read an article on the Fifa team in Edge (July 09), I've been a fan. This game is no exception, really digging it, it deserves an OP, but I'm way too lazy.

Is it EA Canada? They have always been EA's best sports devs, imo.

I hope they will be in charge of the Madden port of 13. I just have a sick feeling EA Tiburon will f'it up. (But I love Madden 12)

wotta

Here's my review for FIFA Football on PS Vita.

http://www.shoptonews.net/2012/02/16/fifa-football-vita-review/

Great game in my opinion. Not a big fan of the front touchscreen controls, but I think the rear pad being used as the goal is genius.

Best portable version of FIFA ever release, by far.

2012-02-18-223052.jpg

2012-02-18-223621.jpg

2012-02-18-223634.jpg

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
For people who have this already, does it have any training modes like in PES? Last Fifa I bought was Fifa 09 and although I liked it, I just don't know all the tricks n shit because I couldn't find any decent tutorial. Really tempted to pick this Fifa up (first since buying in 2008) but it's between this and Virtua Tennis or Hot Shots.

For people who have this already, does it have any training modes like in PES? Last Fifa I bought was Fifa 09 and although I liked it, I just don't know all the tricks n shit because I couldn't find any decent tutorial. Really tempted to pick this Fifa up (first since buying in 2008) but it's between this and Virtua Tennis or Hot Shots.

I think HSG and VT offer more content. FIFA is just playing exhibition matches over and over, although it does have good online 1on1.

It doesn't have a season mode? I read the online seasons are out but i expect to be able to play offline seasons.

Yeah it does apparently. Not sure what that comment about only exhibition is meant to mean, but it's misleading.

Also, not sure if this was posted earlier but probably gives a better idea of what to expect (considering these guys play the console game extensively, unlike IGN)

http://fifasoccerblog.com/blog/ps-vita-fifa-football-review/

Deefuzz

What's the learning curve on this? I enjoy watching soccer occasionally, but never really played any of the games.

But damn the screens for this game look gorgeous! I am VERY tempted to pick it up, but I am not a big sports gamer so I am uncertain if I would just be wasting my money. So is it easy for a newb to learn and get into it?

Cheech

What's the learning curve on this? I enjoy watching soccer occasionally, but never really played any of the games.

But damn the screens for this game look gorgeous! I am VERY tempted to pick it up, but I am not a big sports gamer so I am uncertain if I would just be wasting my money. So is it easy for a newb to learn and get into it?

I played it for 10 minutes on Target's demo unit today, and the learning curve is pretty massive IMO. The controls are a weird mix of iOS FIFA and console FIFA, and it would definitely take some getting used to. The Vita's horrendous shoulder buttons didn't help it any either (especially since the left one is sprint!).

Personally, it's a tough sell at $40 if I had a Vita. I would just stick to a proper console for this one, because learning an entirely new control scheme is just not worth it and would probably screw my play up on the console edition.

I played it for 10 minutes on Target's demo unit today, and the learning curve is pretty massive IMO. The controls are a weird mix of iOS FIFA and console FIFA, and it would definitely take some getting used to. The Vita's horrendous shoulder buttons didn't help it any either (especially since the left one is sprint!).

Personally, it's a tough sell at $40 if I had a Vita. I would just stick to a proper console for this one, because learning an entirely new control scheme is just not worth it and would probably screw my play up on the console edition.

Are you sure you played the right game? (right shoulder button is sprint like the console)

That should tell you a lot about who reviewed the game and his knowledge of FIFA....

Seriously... Some times I wonder if they actually play the game or just write something off the info EA tells them.

I played it literally for less then 5 minutes and it was very clear it had no impact engine.

jcutner

Been playing Career mode as TFC. Really enjoying it, looks great, no noticable lag or slowdowns for me. I love love love the rear touchpad to shoot goals.

Nnamz

Banned
This is my first post on neogaf after waiting for over a year to get my account activated. I just want to say hello. Long time reader of everyone here :p

ON TOPIC: This game looks amazing! No idea why reviewers have been nitpicking it.

Fixed1979

It doesn't have a season mode? I read the online seasons are out but i expect to be able to play offline seasons.

It has season mode, career mode, manager mode etc. It's actually a great package for a handheld sports game...

Been playing Career mode as TFC. Really enjoying it, looks great, no noticable lag or slowdowns for me. I love love love the rear touchpad to shoot goals.

The rear touchpad shooting is my favorite Vita feature, I really hope we eventually get an NHL game that does the same thing. It just feels good.

I do appreciate the front touch pass controls but I'm still not good enough with them to use it efficiently.

Are you sure you played the right game? (right shoulder button is sprint like the console)

I thought that was an odd comment, maybe someone screwed with the control scheme before he used it...Also the touch controls are optional.

sun-drop

this game is US$39.95 (nz$47) on the states psn store ...

and NZ$89.95 on the NZ psn store ...

uuuuhhh??

if i buy this via my ps3 and my US account .... and download it to my ps3 ...will i have much luck loading it on to my vita if i'm logged in on that with my nz account?

this blows

My brother will buy a vita just for this, just like he bought a PS3 and PSP just for fifas, PS2 fpr Pro Evo and N64 for ISS.

He only owns Fifa games for his PSP and PS3 :/

Massa

is this game locked to the account guys? could i download the US version abd play via my NZ account. and get online?

All Vita games are locked to your account. If you buy it on a US account you can only play it in that account.

You could import the cartridge if you're not planning on getting DLC for the game.

Greektown

Neo Member
man im really dissapointed. the game runs at 30 fps. sport games need to run at 60 fps or else they look horrible. also its really stripped down with no tactical defending.

Xena

Uh... so, I got Fifa vita and it won't play correctly! I can't even start a match as it's so glitched it won't show the players on screen. It also happens with that loading screen... the player looks glitched and the scenery too. What in the world is gokng on? Defective cartridge or what? Utterly disappointed.

jlevel13

Graphics are sharp and impressively console like, but the framerate is ruining it. People posting here that it runs at 60fps at times, but no way. It's 30 tops and often drops down into the low 20s or worse, at least to my eyes. On the plus side, the menus finally feel pretty zippy - better than on console, and overall, it's so much better than other portable football games I've played. I have high hopes that by fall, when 13 comes out, it should be up to snuff.

sun-drop

has any one here brought the DD version, off the psn store ?

can you try playing it while logged in on yr psp with an account other than the one you brought it on? ...i'd be keen to see if it plays

alterno69

Banned
Got the game as well, runs pretty smoth offline, as fluid as the console versions except during player closeups but that happens even on the console versions. Online is clearly lower fps but oh well, i'm playing fucking fifa on a portable and that's enough for me. The game is awesome.

Xena

So, something very curious happened. I went back to Target to exchange my Fifa because I thought there must have been something wrong with the game. The guy gave me a new game, and I placed it on the Vita and the same weird glitch appeared. So it ended up not being the game itself. My brother suggested I should go ahead and exchange the vita for another one, and so I did. Now it works; I have no clue why Fifa was the only game that looked messed up (I had played Ninja Gaiden retail and it had worked just fine). Anyway, finally got Fifa to work. I'm still curious as to why the players legs were "cut off"... lol.

sun-drop

other than not having to carry the game card around and having always ready at the touch of a button ...

only asking cause it's half the price on the US store

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I miss the tactical defending, the flow of the game can become too breakneck without the 'contain' feature from 12. Hopefully it's only like this because the game is based on FIFA 11.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I miss the tactical defending, the flow of the game can become too breakneck without the 'contain' feature from 12. Hopefully it's only like this because the game is based on FIFA 11.

Yeah I hope they don't branch off the builds and they build FIFA 13 in parallel, preferably with an option to buy PS3/Vita versions bundled, I will struggle justify to myself paying full price for the same game twice especially when they are an evolution of the previous year's games.

EA Sports have gone on for ages about being able to play on one platform then continue the character progression on another, hopefully FIFA 13 will be the fruition of that dream.

Overall though I am loving FIFA on the Vita, I had to turn of the back touch shooting as my hands kept on accidently shooting from stupid places, but other than that I am enjoying having a proper FIFA game on the go.

NHale

Played the demo yesterday and I noticed constant framerate drops. It was barely playable but maybe the retail game is better.

Gameplay is still good (despite no tactical defending) and the game looks amazing on the OLED and the back touch shooting is a great way to use the Vita features while actually improving the game.

Top Bottom