• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA on Vita - New screens, previews and information

Cookie18

I cannot wait to hear a Brit say "Fifer on Viter," because I know that somewhere in Britain, there is an accent that will make this possible.

Game looks rad, by the way. Don't know why people are picking it apart.

Yea, I just noticed that I say it almost exactly like that. Thanks :)

Reallink

lol no, this is fifa 11 on ps2

20QAU.jpg

On first glance, I thought you had taken one of the Vita screens and scaled it up to poke fun at all the sub-QHD Vita titles.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It's capable of anti-aliasing. It's actually more than capable, IIRC some of the chips in it should be able to do AA without much of a resource draw. It's just that a lot of these games are being made from PS3 code quickly and aren't insanely optimized.

Thanks. That's good to know. I guess with first generation titles it's understandable that they rush these things.

LordAlu

I cannot wait to hear a Brit say "Fifer on Viter," because I know that somewhere in Britain, there is an accent that will make this possible.

Game looks rad, by the way. Don't know why people are picking it apart.

You'd be lucky to get that - I had two people in our store today asking to have a go "on one of those Vistas". :p

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I was impressed when I played the demo yesterday on a Vita. I wouldn't worry much about posted screenshots or talk of slowdown. It'll most likely be my first portable soccer purchase ever.

I was impressed when I played the demo yesterday on a Vita. I wouldn't worry much about posted screenshots or talk of slowdown. It'll most likely be my first portable soccer purchase ever.

Yeah, same. After trying the supposedly aliased and low resolution Gravity Rush and being BLOWN AWAY by it I haven't a single doubt.

mxgt

Banned
Shame there's no Ultimate Team but I understand. Would buy it if it was there, it's way too addictive.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Shame there's no Ultimate Team but I understand. Would buy it if it was there, it's way too addictive.

I agree its really disappointing. It would have actually been one of those things that made 3G useful too, being able to buy/sell/trade on the go along with playing games against the AI.

tusken77

Has it got all the same divisions as the console versions?

Will buy if its got the English lower leagues.

From the Matt Prior interview: Vita version has all the leagues and teams that the PS3 version has, 25+ leagues, 500 teams, all assets brought over from PS3.

newsguy

So impact engine and tactical defense are out. Playing the demo I kept thinking "man the D feels like Fifa 11." Now I get why. I won 6-0 in the demo, but I'm sure it's set to casual. I really like the rear touch precision aiming.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I'm not a fan of the back touchpad stuff at all.

Is there a way to turn it off in the options? I don't even want the ability to actually have one of my fingers touch the back of the Vita and do something.

tusken77

From the interview: they're working on FIFA 13 being exactly the same on both systems. Sounds like a FIFA 13 PS3/Vita Dual Pack is likely. Very cool.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
From the interview: they're working on FIFA 13 being exactly the same on both systems. Sounds like a FIFA 13 PS3/Vita Dual Pack is likely. Very cool.
Sounds great, but it means: Pre-order canceled.
I'm not going to buy 3 (or 4) FIFA games in the span of 8 months.
(2x FIFA 13, 1x FIFAVITA and possibly FIFA Street)

I would feel even more silly than I do every year. ;-)

Lausebub

Banned
I'm a huge fan of the FIFA games on the iPhone. The manager mode is pure additcion. And the game does look really nice, but it's nothing compared to this. It really looks a lot like the PS3 version. I wonder, if the developers put more effort in development, would they be able to make a game that looks like this using the A5 of the iOS systems? Or would that be too much to ask for?

Raonak

Banned
I'm a huge fan of the FIFA games on the iPhone. The manager mode is pure additcion. And the game does look really nice, but it's nothing compared to this. It really looks a lot like the PS3 version. I wonder, if the developers put more effort in development, would they be able to make a game that looks like this using the A5 of the iOS systems? Or would that be too much to ask for?

well, problem with smartphones is that apps don't get access to low level APIs. which is why even with better hardware, games don't tend to look as good as they should.

Goron2000

best junior ever
I hope online is standard fifa controls. i can see people being able to exploit the touchscreen controls, especially the shooting system.

Takao

Banned

Other than the OS over head yes, that would be too much to ask for. This will retail for $40, where as some iOS game is going to be like $3 max.

M3d10n

Other than the OS over head yes, that would be too much to ask for. This will retail for $40, where as some iOS game is going to be like $3 max.

The OS overhead is gigantic. AFAIK on the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S (which have 512MBs of RAM) an app can allocate around 170MBs before the OS forces it to shut down. But I think that was before iOS 5, which reduced the RAM available for apps, and even then your apps is within risk of being shutdown if you have many other apps running when using that much RAM. In the end of day, iOS apps cannot use much more RAM than the 3DS games (in the current high-end devices). Games targeting 256MB iDevices need to use even less: 60MBs at most.

Smartphones and tables are quickly catching up to PC levels of system overhead (aka: good luck running a console->PC port in a system with less than 2GBytes of RAM plus a 512MB video card).

There's also storage issue: publishers usually prefer to avoid multi-gigabyte games on the AppStore. I also don't think you can publish something as large as 4GBytes.

lord pie

Serious question. Is the Vita from a hardware point of view not capable of anti aliasing? The screens look great apart from the lack of AA.

The SGX GPU can do 2x and 4x MSAA 'for nearly free', in the sense it has fairly low additional memory and bandwidth overheads and internally uses EDRAM in way that is similar to the 360.

The problem is, not all rendering algorithms work with MSAA (deferred rendering, for example - like in uncharted GA) so like the 360, the use of MSAA will depend entirely on the way the particular engine works. Also, I doubt we will see post process AA on Vita as it'll likely have a much larger cost (as a percentage of frame time) in comparison to the big consoles.

The Unreal engine, on Vita, would likely be a good candidate for MSAA.

Durante

Even without taking into account OS overhead, an A5 is, at best, half as fast as Vita for graphics.

The problem is, not all rendering algorithms work with MSAA (deferred rendering, for example - like in uncharted GA) so like the 360, the use of MSAA will depend entirely on the way the particular engine works. Also, I doubt we will see post process AA on Vita as it'll likely have a much larger cost (as a percentage of frame time) in comparison to the big consoles.
This is all true, but I'd like to add that anyone using deferred shading on a hardware deferred renderer needs to reevaluate their technology.

Even without taking into account OS overhead, an A5 is, at best, half as fast as Vita for graphics.

This is all true, but I'd like to add that anyone using deferred shading on a hardware deferred renderer needs to reevaluate their technology.

Vita has 128 Mbytes of dedicated ram for the gpu (cdram i heard here) compared to smartphones which have one pool of (supposedly) slower lpddr ram. That's another difference from smartphones. We need to see what those + signs next to the arm and powervr chips mean on vita, too.

Durante

°°ToMmY°°;34857473 said:
Vita has 128 Mbytes of dedicated ram for the gpu (cdram i heard here) compared to smartphones which have one pool of (supposedly) slower lpddr ram. That's another difference from smartphones.
That's actually exactly the reason why I said "at best" half. The SoC is basically half an A5, but we don't know how big a difference the memory interface (and whatever else the "+" means, if anything) makes.

Argyle

I am not a rendering expert but I just want to say that I am pretty sure deferred shading is not the same thing as tile based deferred rendering? I could be wrong but it seems that your gbuffer passes could benefit from the hidden surface removal of the tile based deferred renderer? Also, I don't think the tile based deferred renderer will get you more light sources the way a deferred renderer would?

Durante

I am not a rendering expert but I just want to say that I am pretty sure deferred shading is not the same thing as tile based deferred rendering? I could be wrong but it seems that your gbuffer passes could benefit from the hidden surface removal of the tile based deferred renderer? Also, I don't think the tile based deferred renderer will get you more light sources the way a deferred renderer would?
You are correct. I wasn't trying to say that doing deferred shading on a TBDR doesn't work or doesn't have any benefits. What I'm saying is that if you have a hardware architecture where you can do native res with 4xAA and smooth framerate with a slightly smaller number of lights and slightly less complex surface shaders, or sub-native res with no AA and slightly more lights and complex shaders then you better choose the former.

Argyle

You are correct. I wasn't trying to say that doing deferred shading on a TBDR doesn't work or doesn't have any benefits. What I'm saying is that if you have a hardware architecture where you can do native res with 4xAA and smooth framerate with a slightly smaller number of lights and slightly less complex surface shaders, or sub-native res with no AA and slightly more lights and complex shaders then you better choose the former.
I will say that, as a Vita owner who has played through Uncharted already, I pretty much disagree with you wholeheartedly :)

As always it depends on the look your game is going for.

Only Vita launch game I really want. Once a few more come out, or they unlock Remote Play for Killzone and other AAA titles, Ill probably pick one up. Glad they got 1on1 online in the game.

Durante

I will say that, as a Vita owner who has played through Uncharted already, I pretty much disagree with you wholeheartedly :)
That's a bit of a non-sequitur, as we both have no idea what a forward rendering version of Uncharted would look like on Vita. I haven't seen anything in the videos or screenshot that looks like it absolutely requires deferred shading.

Argyle

That's a bit of a non-sequitur, as we both have no idea what a forward rendering version of Uncharted would look like on Vita. I haven't seen anything in the videos or screenshot that looks like it absolutely requires deferred shading.
Like I said, I am not a rendering architect. But I think there is a reason why most modern game engines are switching to deferred rendering, despite its drawbacks. I think having great lighting goes a long way to making a game look great vs. merely good. Having seen the entirety of Uncharted on Vita: the game looks great. You clearly disagree, even though you haven't played it, so that's about where we are at? I don't think it is sensible to speak in absolutes like "a forward renderer is the only sensible choice on a tbdr"...

Durante

I think having great lighting goes a long way to making a game look great vs. merely good.
Sure, but I think that aliasing, line crawl and flickering generally make games ugly, regardless of how good they'd look otherwise. So the first priority should be to get IQ to an adequate level and lock down the framerate, and only then you can try cram in as many detailed assets or complex shaders as possible within that limit.

And it's not like it's impossible to have great lighting in a forward renderer, plenty of games have demonstrated that. It's great to have tech demos with 10000 lights, but does that really contribute much to most games? (I say all this as someone who actually implemented a basic deferred renderer, and thought that the idea is the best thing since sliced bread for a while)

Argyle

Sure, but I think that aliasing, line crawl and flickering generally make games ugly, regardless of how good they'd look otherwise. So the first priority should be to get IQ to an adequate level and lock down the framerate, and only then you can try cram in as many detailed assets or complex shaders as possible within that limit.

And it's not like it's impossible to have great lighting in a forward renderer, plenty of games have demonstrated that. It's great to have tech demos with 10000 lights, but does that really contribute much to most games? (I say all this as someone who actually implemented a basic deferred renderer, and thought that the idea is the best thing since sliced bread for a while)
I think we may simply have to agree to disagree. I don't think I ever once thought "geez, this sub native res is killing me" while playing Uncharted. It clearly doesn't bother me, or, I think, most people (or else everyone would have stopped playing COD long ago)...the only people likely to notice are nerds like us. Imho the key phrase in your argument is "adequate" and it is clear we disagree on what that means.

Honestly I have never had to implement a deferred renderer myself but I have worked with a partially deferred renderer in the past (is there an agreed on term for this? Maybe a prelight renderer?) and I am currently working with one of the more advanced deferred renderers now.

Durante

This discussion is pretty OT in this thread, so this will be my last post on the subject. You're right in that in the end it just comes down to personal preference. I still believe though that the argument for using a forward renderer (or any method that can use HW MSAA) is much stronger on a TBDR where that MSAA is almost free.

I think we may simply have to agree to disagree. I don't think I ever once thought "geez, this sub native res is killing me" while playing Uncharted. It clearly doesn't bother me, or, I think, most people (or else everyone would have stopped playing COD long ago)...the only people likely to notice are nerds like us. Imho the key phrase in your argument is "adequate" and it is clear we disagree on what that means.
You're probably right in that many people don't notice, it's the bane of my existence. (Well, not really, but it's the bane of me enjoying many non-PC games' graphics at least)

Honestly I have never had to implement a deferred renderer myself but I have worked with a partially deferred renderer in the past (is there an agreed on term for this? Maybe a prelight renderer?) and I am currently working with one of the more advanced deferred renderers now.
Are you talking about a Light Pre-Pass renderer?

Argyle

This discussion is pretty OT in this thread, so this will be my last post on the subject. You're right in that in the end it just comes down to personal preference. I still believe though that the argument for using a forward renderer (or any method that can use HW MSAA) is much stronger on a TBDR where that MSAA is almost free.

You're probably right in that many people don't notice, it's the bane of my existence. (Well, not really, but it's the bane of me enjoying many non-PC games' graphics at least)

Are you talking about a Light Pre-Pass renderer?
Yes, that is what I meant :)

NHale

So impact engine and tactical defense are out. Playing the demo I kept thinking "man the D feels like Fifa 11." Now I get why. I won 6-0 in the demo, but I'm sure it's set to casual. I really like the rear touch precision aiming.

Can anyone confirm this? Or is there an option like the HD versions to choose between tactical and legacy defending?

Kiraly

Can anyone confirm this? Or is there an option like the HD versions to choose between tactical and legacy defending?

There is no tactical defending whatsoever, the game is built on the FIFA 11 engine so all of the latest new stuff present in FIFA 12 is not in.

RanoNL

I played the demo on a Vita demopod. The analogue sticks are godlike for this game :9 Very good touch (rear and front) features as well.

yay !

leave the crap out with players falling down as soon as their toe hits a blade of grass

It wasn't perfect, not by a long shot, but it added so much to the way you dribbled past defenders, tackled attackers, fought over the ball and how fouls were awarded.

It just made things way more visceral and intense for me.

I'm really on the fence with this one because I would love a FIFA game for my Vita but I feel like the wise thing to do is wait until the inevitable FIFA 13 comes out later this year. It's just so hard sometimes!

NHale

There is no tactical defending whatsoever, the game is built on the FIFA 11 engine so all of the latest new stuff present in FIFA 12 is not in.

Weird because I saw a video blog from a dev saying FIFA Vita played exactly like FIFA 12. In this case I will just wait for a huge price drop before the Summer or wait for a decent FIFA to be launched for the Vita.

Vita launch games is starting to disappoint me every time something is revealed about the games (no online for MNR, this, Wipeout load times, F1 2011 looking like a PS1 game, etc.).

I'm really on the fence with this one because I would love a FIFA game for my Vita but I feel like the wise thing to do is wait until the inevitable FIFA 13 comes out later this year. It's just so hard sometimes!

It definitely looks like it. To me this seems like EA holding the dev team back so they could sell this game to those desperate for FIFA on the go and then in September they can sell another game because they added the features that were on FIFA 12 + Ultimate Team.

And if they release UEFA Euro 2012 for the Vita, it's 3 football games in a 7 month period.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Thats what i`ll do - why be a Beta tester when the "real" Version is just a couple of months away :)

sun-drop

finally got some hands on with this ... looked great on youtube but i was worried after garnett mentioned a few WC's ago how tiny the players looked.

um yeh ... you'd think these game reviewers would know about camera options , or at least consider it before announcing to the world the players are the size of ants.

dynamic cam FTW

see 5:49 onwards here for eg http://youtu.be/5Hzo-XiXDDI

Top Bottom