• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azriell

I'm so tired of puzzle games, match 3s, word games, falling block games, etc. iOS has burned me out of what was once some of my favorite genres. That having been said, W.E.L.D.E.R. Is fantastic and I love it (enough to spell it out properly while typing on my iPod).

It doesn't really get good until you unlock all the move types and dangerous tiles(a few levels in), but once it does it's really fantastic. I find myself looking the board over for 10 minutes at a time sometimes, without making a move, because each play as so much weight to it. And a few times, burning my last 3 moves to build a big word, because it's my only hope to catapult me over the edge to get a few more moves. Working my way back up to 20 turns from 0 was one of the most rewarding gaming experiences I've had in awhile.

On a related note, games should have an option within to disable auto-lock. I've finally changed mine from 1 minute to never, after years of 1 minute, just because it was getting too annoying while playing W.E.L.D.E.R.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Vyer said:
How were you glitching it before?
I prefer not making it public until I'm 100% sure I can't do it anymore.
It's not like there's any gain in doing it for a normal user since it doesn't stay that way (showing nicknames) once you succeed, you need to glitch it every time you open the app so it's only useful for me to take screeshots of the leaderboards anyway.

Neki

SquirrelNuckle said:
Is it worth getting? I don't like racing games much, but I loved Game Dev Story.
It's not even a racing game though. Racing is a just a by product of how well you've designed your car and trained your character. If you like Game Dev Story, I think this game was almost as good as it.

JaseMath

For anyone who is interested, World of Goo is only $0.99. Last I checked, it was $2.99, so if you've been on the fence for the last few years (like me), $0.99 should seal the deal.

japtor

Shaneus said:
Is Shift 2 one of those games that looks ridiculously good on the 4S/Retina?
It looks ok I guess? I'm not sure I think any of the racing games look "ridiculously good" really, maybe Riptide GP if that counts. It looks nice from both a technical and aesthetic standpoint, while a lot seem to have one or the other but not both.
Shaneus said:
Yeah, I read a review and they said it was basically in between Hot Pursuit and Real Racing 2, but not in a good way, and both of which I already have.
I'd say it's better than Hot Pursuit, although that's kind of because I hate the control in that one. For whatever reason I like it (Shift 2) better than RR2, maybe it's the manual controls or something but I like the driving better in it. Well it has a crappy drift mechanic, but it's worlds better than Hot Pursuit's weird one.

...but I hate the progression system, it's complete checklist type bullshit. It's not just "win a race, unlock!", it's a star system with objectives beyond just winning (stay on track, win by x seconds, etc) and you need x stars to open up whatever new races.
Alextended said:
Hot Pursuit any good? I'm seeing the end of Real Racing 2 so maybe a more arcadey racer will be good to get. Or is something at the same current price much better?
I'm not a fan of it, a bit of a shame since I liked the console one a lot. Asphalt is better but I don't think it's all that great either. There's an old game called Raging Thunder 2 (youtube video) that gets the "crazy ass arcade racing" feel right, not the prettiest game but the aesthetic works and runs well. The iPad version is a cheap upscale and kind of buggy (doesn't handle screen rotation right with controls) but it still works...just play with the steering sensitivity, turn it down cause it's twitchy as hell on the default setting. Wish they'd update it or make a sequel or something to bring the game up to date.

chickdigger802 said:
Need some game recommendations for my dad.

Been trying to get him to game for 15 years or so. My mom enjoys 2d mario games and mario kart. But my dad tends to be 'stubborn asian dad'. The only game I remember him enjoying was the pinball game that came with windows xp. But after he got my iphone 4, his interest in games has reached a new high.

His current favorites are pinball HD, some solitare game, and doodle jump. He surprisingly didn't like Angry birds ;)

So any 'approachable' games you'd think would interest my dad?

Mahjong? I've got mahjong Towers and it's a really well presented version of the game. There's a "lite" version so no risk if your dad does not like it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
low-G said:
Ugh playing Skyrim, have 7 other recent 360/PS3 games to finish, the Indie Bundle thing on PC, and about 50 other iOS games (my first iPhone) and I'm still buying these 99 cent games I feel like an insane person.

I think at 99c its easier to just hit 'buy' rather than write the name down on some list and come back to it later.

heringer

Bought the Fling stick for iPad. It's ok, but I was expecting more of it. My expectations were probably unrealistic though.

Basically, it works well for games that have digital sticks. If it's completely analog you will have to push the stick to the max to get the full effect, and it's a bit stiff. Shadongun is one of those games, to run with max speed you need to push the stick hard. Maybe it will loosen up, I dunno.

On the other hand, it works really well for twin stick shooters. Because the shooting part is completely digital, you only have to gently push the stick for the direction to be recognized. It feels good with those games, and I would probably buy another one if I was big on the genre.

Also tried Dungeon Hunter 2 with it, also works well. Since the movement is digital, it's either walk or run, you don't have to push the stick too hard.

Will try with more games later.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Gaspode_T said:
I have only played it on iPad, I think it would be not that bad because usually your troops and objectives are spread apart more than a finger's touch away but you might have to squint and even on iPad the sprites are pretty small. Gazunta really enjoys it too so there you go. It reminds me a little of Red Dwarf with the cheesy cut scenes, also reminds me of playing strategy games on 16-bit consoles.

Other topic:

I am kind of disappointed with Super Crossfire HD. The Xbox Indie Game versions controlled and looked better. The warp thing is awkward. It's maybe not bad for the sales price but honestly it goes to show that just because you release it to iOS it might not create a sales sensation unless you are lucky and/or the game is way better than anything else.

Not to tread on Reese-015's toes, but I've been playing a shitton on Super Crossfire too and I love it so much. But I didn;t love the default controls at all. If you've not done it already, switch to 'arcade' controls for some d-buttons and a dedicated warp button. Then make the space between the d-button as small as possible. The game is so so much easier to play with this setup, and makes playing it a joy. When warp is it's own button it really opens it up, you can ping back and forth without too much confusion.

And I played a little Z last night too, it's weird, it's really slow compared to more modern RTS games. However, it's age means that maybe I'll be able to get into it, I find myself so easily confused by these games. A slower, more stripped back game appeals to me.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Something's weird with iTunes, the more I buy the more money I have. Last night my bank said I have a measly 4.41 left in this account, I buy another game, see it hasn't refreshed and wait for today to see eactly what more I can buy, now I check again and I have 8.37 left. Lol? Is my bank blocking payments yet I still get the games?

Well, got MC3, hope your're happy dude. I haven't played the other games much, Rage was unplayable in bed (duh), Bumpy Road is neat though.

Zeth

Any tips for the final boss in Epoch? Any specific items I should go back and upgrade by grinding? I have a lazer weapon and decent armor, I know the boss pattern by heart, I just can't finish it without dying.

Alexios

Ok so I just played the first level in Rage HD in virtual window mode. The graphics seem much better in motion than in some of the disappointing screenshots. Although having normal Rage gameplay as the intro part is just dumb. I paid for it, it's not adware, id. It's not quite as precise as I had hoped for (or maybe it's the frame rate that makes it seem so) but it's certainly good, tiring fun, lol. Although I feel the game should have a radar or something like that so that you wouldn't have to spin around just to see if enemies are coming. Unless it does have one and I completely missed it while playing. Maybe normal gyroscope mode is best for casual play, or just increasing the sensitivity will do. I think the reload and fire buttons are also too close to each other and the same for dodge and switch weapons but maybe I just need to get used to it. Scribblenauts seems good too, I played the first 5 tutorial levels. It sure is smooth. The default controls seem nice enough to me so far (I've not tried the virtual stick).

Zeth

heringer said:
Bought the Fling stick for iPad. It's ok, but I was expecting more of it. My expectations were probably unrealistic though.

Basically, it works well for games that have digital sticks. If it's completely analog you will have to push the stick to the max to get the full effect, and it's a bit stiff. Shadongun is one of those games, to run with max speed you need to push the stick hard. Maybe it will loosen up, I dunno.

On the other hand, it works really well for twin stick shooters. Because the shooting part is completely digital, you only have to gently push the stick for the direction to be recognized. It feels good with those games, and I would probably buy another one if I was big on the genre.

Also tried Dungeon Hunter 2 with it, also works well. Since the movement is digital, it's either walk or run, you don't have to push the stick too hard.

Will try with more games later.
Yep, I hate when I need to push really hard on analog stick games. I really only bust them out for infinite field. They're absolutely perfect for those kinds of games. It also works with Super Mega Worm which had digital controls.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What happened to Scribblenauts iCloud syncing? My iPad won't sync to my iPhone progress. Same Apple ID, Gamecenter name.

heringer

Zeth said:
Yep, I hate when I need to push really hard on analog stick games. I really only bust them out for infinite field. They're absolutely perfect for those kinds of games. It also works with Super Mega Worm which had digital controls.
To be fair, mine is a little looser now. For some games it still doesn't work great (like Shadowgun), but I found that it's working very well even for some games with very analog sticks.

It's great for Galaxy on Fire 2, for instance. I finished this game with the gyro controls on the iPhone, but then I bought the HD version for my iPad 2 and didn't found this method as good. Maybe because with the bigger screen I have to tilt more, I dunno. So I changed to analog controls. Didn't like it, way too imprecise. Thankfully, the Fling stick solved this problem. It's super precise now, and I think I'm even better at it than I were playing with gyros on my iPhone.

Tried Glow Fish HD too, and it's glorious with this one. Loved it. It actually makes me wish Aquaria had a virtual analog stick.

It also works really well for Real Racing 2. Though I prefer gyro controls on this one.

Overall, I'm happy with it. It's not perfect, but it can really enhances the controls of quite a few games. Just have to keep in mind that it won't work very well for every game. Also, I would only recommend with a screen protector.

Oh, and just a question, does your stick spin or is it fixed? Mine spins, but I'm not sure it's supposed to be that way.

Alexios

mrklaw said:
Just traded my 1st gen touch in for a 32GB 4th gen. Anything particular that is optimised/4th gen only?
What's 4th gen? iPad2 level or is that older? I think Real Racing 2 is. Looks nice in person and plays like a dream with tilt steering.

Zeth

Yes the actual pad on the fling rotates. I might have to get GoF2HD. I messed around with it for a little while on iPhone but neve got hooked. iPad with Fling could be a great experience.

Alexios

Try the Lite first, I didn't like either the gyro or the virtual stick controls at all on iPad2. Shame cos the game seemed cool. I don't have a Fling though.

heringer

I didn't like the controls without Fling either. There's a Lite version though, so you could always try. It's the non HD version, but it's basically the same thing minus the eye candy.

Oh, and to people who play Fifa 12 on the iPad, this thing is a must. Played the Fifa 12 in 2X mode and it convinced me to buy the HD version of the game. As soon as the price drops (I bet it does by the end of the year) I'm there.

Posted? Some sales going on. Found this on GameSpot's Twitter and Google+

All 99 cents.

The excellent Scribblenauts Remix is just $0.99 (works on iPhone and iPad)
Contre Jour HD is just $0.99. Definitely worth it
Gameloft's great Dungeon Hunter 2 is also $0.99 as are Rainbow Six and HAWX
Spirits for both iPhone and iPad is $0.99
Street Fighter IV Volt is $0.99
The Gears-like shooter Shadowgun is $0.99
Kairosoft's superb Grand Prix Story is $0.99
Peggle is only $0.99
finally, the iPhone version of World of Goo is just $0.99

Alexios

^yes

Is that Falcon Gunner AR game entertaining? It looks kinda cheap but apparently it will be taken down soon cos THQ is losing the licence or something..?

Maybe they'll have a good sale before they kill it.

Can't get used to MC3 controls. Feels like it's made for iPhones. Had better luck setting it down and doing everything with my index fingers in tap controls mode than holding it and using my thumbs. Buttons are far from each other, sticks seem too large so if I use my thumb for aiming I have to move it too far to tap off it and so fire. Gyro controls don't seem as good as Rage's and don't seem to have their own specific sensitivity settings. Any ideas?

heringer

Alextended said:
^yes

Is that Falcon Gunner AR game entertaining? It looks kinda cheap but apparently it will be taken down soon cos THQ is losing the licence or something..?

Maybe they'll have a good sale before they kill it.

Can't get used to MC3 controls. Feels like it's made for iPhones. Had better luck setting it down and doing everything with my index fingers in tap controls mode than holding it and using my thumbs. Buttons are far from each other, sticks seem too large so if I use my thumb for aiming I have to move it too far to tap off it and so fire. Gyro controls don't seem as good as Rage's and don't have their own settings so they are too twitchy if I want faster freelook with the sticks. Any ideas?
You can customise the buttons in MC3. Even their size.

Finished on the iPhone and on the iPad. I think it plays better on the iPad, had to tweak the buttons though.

hyp

shadowgun seems pretty impressive technically and runs great on my iPad 2. gameplay is cookie cutter for the genre but I can see why – they're catering to the lowest common denominator of gamers. nonetheless, it's a nice diversion from the madness that is junk jack.

Alexios

heringer said:

Finished on the iPhone and on the iPad. I think it plays better on the iPad, had to tweak the buttons though.
Take a screen of your setup so I can get some idea if you can. I must have missed that settings screen.

Nm, found it. Can't think of how to make it better outside putting buttons closer. Guess I need a couple flings but they're pricey.

shadowgun plays rather well, I was expecting the guy to move the speed of a slug but he is rather nippy, cover works really well too without having to press a button to get behind it. Very impressive game but on my 4g touch the textures just don't look as good as the itunes store screen shots...

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies

Pastry

Banned
heringer said:

It is a fun game and multiplayer is fun but damn is it broken. Frequently you don't get any experience for the game you played and sometimes it takes experience away from the previous game you had played. It is pretty frustrating to have an awesome game and then not only receive no experience for that game but also have your experience from the previous game erased.

heringer

Alextended said:
Take a screen of your setup so I can get some idea if you can. I must have missed that settings screen.

Nm, found it. Can't think of how to make it better outside putting buttons closer. Guess I need a couple flings but they're pricey.
What control method are you using in MC3?

Diablohead said:
shadowgun plays rather well, I was expecting the guy to move the speed of a slug but he is rather nippy, cover works really well too without having to press a button to get behind it. Very impressive game but on my 4g touch the textures just don't look as good as the itunes store screen shots...
I agree. I just wish there was a sprint or slide button to make things a bit more lively. Overall I like it and it's pretty challenging IMO, don't use solid cover right and you will die.

Alexios

heringer said:
What control method are you using in MC3?
I tried them all a bit but I think dual stick method works best for me holding the iPad2 like a handheld... But I'm not comfortable at all still, I think I did better using the tap method and putting the iPad2 on the stand, using my index fingers on it, lol... Gyro controls seem too twitchy and while they can be nice to correct my aim they also move around a lot with the slightest movement like when I reach for a different button... I don't have such problems in Rage HD.

heringer

Alextended said:
I tried them all but I think dual stick method works best for me holding the iPad2 like a handheld... But I'm not comfortable at all still, I think I did better using the tap method and putting the iPad2 on the stand, using my index fingers on it, lol... Gyro controls seem too twitchy and while they can be nice to correct my aim they also move around a lot with the slightest movement like when I reach for a different button... I don't have such problems in Rage HD.
Yikes, I hate the dual stick method. It got much better when I tried with a Fling, but it's too slow. Just swiping the screen is so much better to me. I finished on the iPhone aiming with my index finger, but with the iPad I use my two thumbs and it feels great.

Alexios

Ok I'll try the tap method again but it didn't seem good with thumbs only, like I had to do large swipes to look around. it didn't just seem to function like the movement controls which basically make a virtual stick wherever you press in that mode... Or will high sensitivity setting fix that?

Edit: ok, higher sensitivity did help with that. Guess I got a half decent setup:
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/2734/img01171.png
Using the space under the buttons on the left and under the gun on the right for movement/aiming. Still not exactly an enjoyable way to play but maybe I'll get used to it.

Too bad the gyro controls aren't like Rage's. Or maybe it's the lack of a movement stick that's irking me the most. I doubt it but I guess I'll find out with Wii U...

But yeah, I don't think I'll be getting another conventional game like this on the iPad 2 any time soon.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Dwayne said:
iCade. support is limited to a couple of apps. Shame you can't get into it, many apps do suck control wise, but certainly not all of them.
It's not supported only by "a couple" of apps. Even League of Evil supports it now.
ICade support will grow. It is pricey tho, but if you jb+MAME it's fricking awesome.

Tried Rainbow Six lite. Actually really impressed with the graphics, controls and feel of the game. Picked that up along with Countre Jor or however you spell it. Had (and still have) no idea what it is but the screenshots looked cool and everyone praises it.

I've cut back on iOS gaming but Shadowrun, Countre, Rainbow Six and Scribblenauts for me. And now I will go back to the sidelines and avoid my old habit of buying every damn thing that comes out for no reason.

hyp

Dash Kappei said:
It's not supported only by "a couple" of apps. Even League of Evil supports it now.
ICade support will grow. It is pricey tho, but if you jb+MAME it's fricking awesome.

howʻs mame compatibility on JB? holy shit i may have to get an icade for this.

hyp

jonnybryce said:
I've cut back on iOS gaming but Shadowrun, Countre, Rainbow Six and Scribblenauts for me. And now I will go back to the sidelines and avoid my old habit of buying every damn thing that comes out for no reason.

tried this for the past 2 years and have constantly failed :(.

i may have to subscribe to the iTunes allowance program just to control my spending.

Alexios

Why aren't there emulators on the App Store anyway? Aren't most or many of them perfectly legal? Just release them there and leave it up to people how they get the roms, just make it like those apps that support importing "documents" from PC and the like. I don't wanna jailbreak my device just for that stuff, especially before the process becomes as smooth, painless and fully featured as Wii homebrew, which doesn't affect official functions in any way whatsoever and has next to no risk.

Alextended said:
Why aren't there emulators on the App Store anyway? Aren't most or many of them perfectly legal? Just release them there and leave it up to people how they get the roms, just make it like those apps that support importing "documents" from PC and the like. I don't wanna jailbreak my device just for that stuff, especially before the process becomes as smooth, painless and fully featured as Wii homebrew, which doesn't affect official functions in any way whatsoever and has next to no risk.
Emulating hardware would be legal, emulating the software/firmware/etc that makes a console run would be illegal. So any emulator they could release legally on iOS could never actually load anything.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
I use the classic mc2 control option for mc3. I much prefer a fixed control stick so i can look around with either hand on either side of the screen

Alexios

toythatkills said:
Emulating hardware would be legal, emulating the software/firmware/etc that makes a console run would be illegal. So any emulator they could release legally on iOS could never actually load anything.
Well they could just not include the bios files either and leave that also up to people like the roms. I think PC emus already do that.

KtSlime

Alextended said:

Emulators have a way of discouraging content owners from porting their software to the platform. Everyone knows the real use of emulators, and it is a legal gray area, while I think people should be able to emulate software they purchased, and it is often the only viable method of playing software that has been abandoned and by all means should have been placed in the public domain, it is more beneficial to Apple and the platform to just leave genetic emulators out of the picture and let the content owners place emulator wrapped roms of their content on the AppStore if they want to.

For everyone else there is jail breaking.

Alexios

With that sort of argument one could argue that encouraging one to jailbreak as the only option for legal emulator use they also encourage the other things possible with it.

Anyway, so Apple has banned that sort of App regardless of the actual legal status? You'd think setting such preferential restrictions wouldn't be good for the service either.

Well, it would be nice to at least see SEGA and the like post up their own Virtual Console app, a nice emulator with lots of global and game specific option sets, and of course iCade support + a compatible controller of their own design (Saturn style 6 buttons please) and then start offering as much of their library as possible with in-App purchases instead of just release 5 or so randomly selected games, each packaged as a stand alone release with its own quirks. It could be on PC and consoles also. Preferably with other publishers teaming up with them rather than creating a whole separate app for each publisher's rom dumps. Although considering many of the other publishers' games would be on non SEGA systems perhaps per publisher services would be fine. Or would that also fall under the banned emulator type App?

Tobor

Apple is running a legitimate store, so they aren't going to piss off the large publishers by allowing iRomz4U on the App Store. Not going to happen.

Legal emulators, like the Commodore 64 emulator that sells properly licensed games as IAP, those are allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom