• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
confused said:
Can I get some impressions on the following games please? :

Battlefield BC
Street Fighter Volt
ShadowGun
Backstab

New to mobile gaming, can't quite tell what's good or not from pics/video yet
The controls are a nightmare on this one. Avoid even if it's on sale.

Is it just me that am really enjoying Magic Piano? The concept is silly, and being slapped in the face with 'offers' every few min, but the core game is pretty interesting.

Fusebox

Banned
Meier said:
Scribblenauts is fun and a steal at 99¢ but god damn do the controls suck.
Isn't it just tap anywhere on the left side of the screen to move left, and anywhere on the right to move right? That scheme works great for me on iPad.

Dynamite Shikoku said:
Wat. They aren't bad at all if you use a button for doing special moves.
It's just above barely usable on the iPad, but practically unplayable on the iPhone/Touch. Even with maximum button opacity.

low-G

Ugh playing Skyrim, have 7 other recent 360/PS3 games to finish, the Indie Bundle thing on PC, and about 50 other iOS games (my first iPhone) and I'm still buying these 99 cent games I feel like an insane person.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Reese-015 said:
Rage HD does indeed make excellent use of it and it works perfectly for the game but partially because it is on rails and more of a Time Crisis-like game, not a real fps. Other fps's (like the Gameloft ones) use the dual sticks with gyro 'assist'. The idea is that you mainly use the sticks and do the more precise adjustments in aiming with gyro and it works decently. You CAN just ignore the sticks and only use gyro and that's a lot of fun but it's also exhausting and you will get owned in the multiplayer cause for some reason it ends up being harder than using it in addition to the sticks.
Thanks, I think I'll get Rage then since it's cheap. It looks fun to play too, with the dodging and stuff, which perhaps make up for the lack of a lightgun in terms of this type of game. Though I doubt it's as replayable as genre classics. Are there others like it with good gyroscope controls?

Fusebox

Banned
Not sure outside of Gameloft games, perhaps you could find a few and try them out and report back for the rest of us? Or are you still milking that $6 of iTunes credit. :p

Seriously, 9mm and MC3 have the best FPS gyro implementations by far, just get over the irrational developer-hate and join me on the dark side. Joooiiiin the daaaark siiiiidee!!!

Alexios

Fusebox said:
Not sure outside of Gameloft games, perhaps you could find a few and try them out and report back for the rest of us? Or are you still milking that $6 of iTunes credit. :p
Yeah Rage is the first I get!

That Gunship Zombie thing looks like it could use that option...

Galaxy on Fire II gyroscope (or the others tbh) controls aren't good at all, I tried the Lite.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I finally got to sit down this evening and play Starbase Orion. When you understand what's going on, it's pretty good! I've got the hang of what all the stuff does now so I'm building a little empire. 2 hours in and I've barely encountered the enemy yet, which makes me scared. I know they're only a system away though, eep! It seems great though and I've barely scratched the surface. I understand the love now.

Alexios

King of a shame Epoch doesn't have such controls (or is it an option, the other dude said you just swipe and tap but maybe he chose that?).

I'm getting Z too since it's on sale.

Some combat flight sim is free discounted from 4.99 euros (?!). I guess I'll try that too. Marine Aviator. Edit: maybe not, looks kinda shit.

cuyahoga said:
Absolutely love this game, but wish there was some way to hear that lovely song from the trailer.
Oh but there is!
You can download ll the songs from the game + the trailer song (by the super talented wearethemassacre) right here:
http://simogo.com/blog/2011/09/21/bumpy-road-sale-soundtrack-giveaway/

And if you like his Bumpy Road song you should definitely check out his Portal song "into your heart", 'cause it's the best:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6HTEAtTiyk

also... he made this super cute song for us for Kosmo Spin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XloD30qBN0

Reese-015

Alextended said:
Thanks, I think I'll get Rage then since it's cheap. It looks fun to play too, with the dodging and stuff, which perhaps make up for the lack of a lightgun in terms of this type of game. Though I doubt it's as replayable as genre classics. Are there others like it with good gyroscope controls?

Not sure if the Time Crisis ones do it but I'm pretty sure there are no notable other entries on the App Store. That being said, I played the shit out of Rage! Does have quite some replay value if you're REALLY into that kind of stuff. The top difficulty modes are hard as nails.

Fusebox

Banned
Alex, I've never tried it but it looks really dated now, its over a year old and they were still in the process of developing good game engines.

The best FPS on iOS is MC3 by such a long shot that I can't recommend anything else in good faith.

Alexios

Maybe I'll cave on MC3 when it goes on sale.

Hot Pursuit any good? I'm seeing the end of Real Racing 2 so maybe a more arcadey racer will be good to get. Or is something at the same current price much better?

I got Rage HD, Z, and Bumpy Road and have 4.41 euros left (seems I may have mixed up and had more than 6? Or it has yet to update properly).

Fusebox

Banned
Not sure, I just play RR2 when I want to race, I love that game, but I know Asphalt 6 gets a fair bit of love around here as an arcade racer

Let me know what Z is like man, Ive never played it before.

Alexios

I haven't been into a real time strategy game since Warhammer: Dark Omen on the PlayStation (so I guess similar era gameplay as this, lol), it's not my genre, I got it cos it's so cheap and people say it's good, but sure, I'll tell you what I think of it after I play it for a while.

Fusebox

Banned
I just checked some reviews and it got panned pretty hard, but they may have released a tonne of updates since then to fix things, so I dunno.

Alexios

Gettng Scribblenauts also. I'll wait for tommorow for my bank to update and see how much I have left and what to get I guess, nothing more I really really want atm, was already pushing it with some of these. Gonna take a few hours to download everything.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Just wanted to say that there's a reason the iOS GAF weekly challenge was put on hold.
I can't seem to be able to glitch the Game Center app anymore (so to only display profile's nicknames instead of real names) since updating to iOS5. I'll keep trying or I'll think of something to circumvent the problem (suggestions are welcomed), I don't really want to downgrade back to iOS 4.
Sorry if I haven't posted about it earlier, I was hoping to fix it in a matter of days and instead here we are.

Vyer

Dash Kappei said:
Just wanted to say that there's a reason the iOS GAF weekly challenge was put on hold.
I can't seem to be able to glitch the Game Center app anymore (so to only display profile's nicknames instead of real names) since updating to iOS5. I'll keep trying or I'll think of something to circumvent the problem (suggestions are welcomed), I don't really want to downgrade back to iOS 4.
Sorry if I haven't posted about it earlier, I was hoping to fix it in a matter of days and instead here we are.
How were you glitching it before?

Fusebox said:

Seriously, 9mm and MC3 have the best FPS gyro implementations by far, just get over the irrational developer-hate and join me on the dark side. Joooiiiin the daaaark siiiiidee!!!

I'll join after they fire whoever writes the script and character for these games.

Fusebox

Banned
chickdigger802 said:
I'll join after they fire whoever writes the script and character for these games.

The script in 9mm is laughably bad, it's almost so bad it's good ala House of the Dead, but Modern Combat 3 actually has a solid script, solid characters and very good voice-acting.

Don't have a iphone, have a wp7 currently, but planning on possibly switching to an iphone when my contract is up. Saw this sale and picked up:

Shadowgun
Scribblenauts
Contre Jour
World of Goo

Also, got a bunch of good free games.

Bought shadowgun for 69p, while I want to support a dev I just knew it was going to hit this price at some point, waiting worked.

Feel sorry for anyone who bought it last month.

Fusebox

Banned
Diablohead said:
Feel sorry for anyone who bought it last month.

Don't. I've already finished twice so I easily got my $5 worth, and I'm not that poverty stricken to complain about a few bucks.

Also me buying it for full-price allows the dev to discount if for all your poor people, so instead of feeling sorry for me you should be thanking me. ;)

Cloudy

Banned
I just cannot get into touch gaming. The controls totally blow. Whatever happened to that device that let you plug an iphone into a controller?

Dwayne

Cloudy said:
I just cannot get into touch gaming. The controls totally blow. Whatever happened to that device that let you plug an iphone into a controller?
iCade. support is limited to a couple of apps. Shame you can't get into it, many apps do suck control wise, but certainly not all of them.

Alexios

How about just getting games that benefit from touch and motion controls? That's what I'm doing, for the most part. It's not like I'd prefer to play a point & click type game with an analog stick, lol. The same for racing games in my opnion, the iPad2 works like a fine wheel if you haven't already invested in a proper one for your other systems, nevermind the lack of things like analog trigggers and buttons, it's just more fun to play this way taking these drawbacks in account. Of course if you want platform games or whatever other conventional experience then it's best you get those on your other systems outside some iOS exclusive that is both good and cheap.

KtSlime

Cloudy said:
No. It was this:

http://www.icontrolpad.com/

Apple needs to make one and force developers to support it..

I think we'd be better off if they didn't and they started funding research in haptic touch screens. To digitally recreate buttons with texture on screen has a much more promising future than forcing owners to buy a plastic doodad just to play a game.

wilflare

ivedoneyourmom said:
I think we'd be better off if they didn't and they started funding research in haptic touch screens. To digitally recreate buttons with texture on screen has a much more promising future than forcing owners to buy a plastic doodad just to play a game.

this would make joypad a real joy
www.getjoypad.com :D

Fewr

I need help please.

A friend has got a US account, and he wants to turn it into a Mexican account. He tried to do so, but the thing told him to spend all his credit before he could change the region. He tried to do so, but he was left with US$0.66, and now he can't change the region because there's some credit left, and he can't buy anything because the cheapest thing we've found are the US$0.99 games.

Thanks

EDIT: we found a phone number in the support website, called and explained the problem to a lady. She asked for the serial number, and after receiving it she said the warranty had expired and ended the call.
/:

Gaspode_T

Wario64 said:
Has anyone tried 'Z' on iPhone? Does it control well?

I have only played it on iPad, I think it would be not that bad because usually your troops and objectives are spread apart more than a finger's touch away but you might have to squint and even on iPad the sprites are pretty small. Gazunta really enjoys it too so there you go. It reminds me a little of Red Dwarf with the cheesy cut scenes, also reminds me of playing strategy games on 16-bit consoles.

Other topic:

I am kind of disappointed with Super Crossfire HD. The Xbox Indie Game versions controlled and looked better. The warp thing is awkward. It's maybe not bad for the sales price but honestly it goes to show that just because you release it to iOS it might not create a sales sensation unless you are lucky and/or the game is way better than anything else.

Gav47

I already had a mountain of other games (and by games I mean Skyrim) to play but I still picked up Scribblenauts, Bumpy Road and Jelly Defense.

I'm considering Contre Jour, it kinda looks like chillingo looked at every popular game on iOS and rolled it into one game but is it any good? Or is it case of jack of all trades, master of none.

Need some game recommendations for my dad.

Been trying to get him to game for 15 years or so. My mom enjoys 2d mario games and mario kart. But my dad tends to be 'stubborn asian dad'. The only game I remember him enjoying was the pinball game that came with windows xp. But after he got my iphone 4, his interest in games has reached a new high.

His current favorites are pinball HD, some solitare game, and doodle jump. He surprisingly didn't like Angry birds ;)

So any 'approachable' games you'd think would interest my dad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom