• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim PC Performance discussion

Durante

Haunted said:
Heh, that's always a risk when you're messing around and experimenting.

Most of what you're reading in here hasn't been verified or tested by more than a handful of people.
Yeah, that's why I am resisiting the uGrids tweak. It's apparently irreversible and I'm having too much fun with the game running completely stable right now to risk getting any crashes.

By the way, interior shadows look pretty good for me now. (Sorry for 720p, was playing on the projector)

tesv-2011-11-12-23-1390un2.jpg

tesv-2011-11-12-23-31ooujq.jpg

tesv-2011-11-12-23-598su8o.jpg

Jijidasu

Using iBlurDeferredShadowMask=1 can lead to having extra fuzzy or as I like to put it, floating shadows. If you up the shadow resolutions in both of the .ini files, put iBlurDeferredShadowMask to 0 it should retain a high quality shadow map and without the floating shadow effect.

Worked for me a few times now when troubleshooting after edits.

DoctorZ

Kyaw said:
In case anyone has more ugrid problems, do this as i posted earlier:

Delete the two ini files.
Let the game load up the default ini files and try running the game from your last save.

Another thing you could try is this:

1. Don't change the ugrid number from the one you have used before. (ie. Say you were using ugrid 11 and now changed it to 9, go back to 11)
2. Run the game. Load up the last save that used the ugrid settings that you used before changing down. (ie. The save that ran 11 ugrid)
3. Alt-tab out and edit the ugrid settings to a lower number
4. Open up the in-game console and type in 'refini' to refresh the ini settings.
5. Save and exit the game
6. Then run the game again

I've done this method but it didn't work for me.

Will try this, want to get rid of ugrids and see if my stability increases.

Durante

Corky said:
Which settings did you end up using?
I actually rolled back most changes to Ultra defaults and only changed resolution and distance IIRC. But here are all the relevant ones:

iBlurDeferredShadowMask=3
fInteriorShadowDistance=5000.0000
fShadowDistance=12000.0000
iShadowMapResolutionSecondary=4096
iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=4096
iShadowSplitCount=2
iShadowMapResolution=4096
fShadowBiasScale=0.1500
iShadowMaskQuarter=4
iShadowFilter=3

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Durante said:
I actually rolled back most changes to Ultra defaults and only changed resolution and distance IIRC. But here are all the relevant ones:

iBlurDeferredShadowMask=3
fInteriorShadowDistance=5000.0000
fShadowDistance=12000.0000
iShadowMapResolutionSecondary=4096
iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=4096
iShadowSplitCount=2
iShadowMapResolution=4096
fShadowBiasScale=0.1500
iShadowMaskQuarter=4
iShadowFilter=3

Much obliged good man <3

SalomonA

Hm was playing around with the settings and noticed that 2x AA vs 8x AA and 8x vs 16x AF didn't have any noticable difference. Actually, I think I got better results with 8x AA and 16x AF, and that's really wierd. (better FPS)

AMD PhenomII 965 @ 3,4
Gtx 570
4gb ram DDR3 1333mhz

Setings High/Medium.

DoctorZ

Dmax3901 said:
If I wanted to improve fps slightly with your configs, what would you recommend toning down?

I'm on a gtx 480 and amd x4 3.2 ghz

So I would also like to know some settings to lower from your config base TheOctagon

M_A_C

I couldn't figure out how to take a screenshot so I just took some with my iphone. Damn this game looks amazing sometimes. The Northern lights made my jaw hit the floor.

Running 1080p everything ultra except for distance objects is high. Pretty much stays at 60fps most of the time with some slight dips here and there. Looks amazing on my 55inch.

Core i7 920, GTX570, 6GB Ram, all stock.

IMG_0502 by mac_clevenger, on Flickr

IMG_0501 by mac_clevenger, on Flickr

IMG_0500 by mac_clevenger, on Flickr

Running Skyrim at 1920x810 and it looks great but the FoV feels wrong (cropped instead of wider) and some menus are disappearing off the bottom of the screen.

Anyone else playing at odd aspect ratios having problems?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is the game suddenly closing a common bug? It's not a crash as there's no freezing or application errors; rather, the game simply takes it upon itself to quit to the desktop.

Durante

Mister_Bubbles said:
People keep talking about Skyrim.ini, but I can only find a SkyrimPrefs.ini in the directory - are they one and the same?
There should be 2 files. Are you looking in [user]\Documents\My Games\Skyrim ?

KKRT00

JaseC said:
Is the game suddenly closing a common bug? It's not a crash as there's no freezing or application errors; rather, the game simply takes it upon itself to quit to the desktop.
Yep, especially after uGrid tweak.

Are mods working for You guys? I downloaded armor, cloths and face improvements and i dont see any change at all.

Okay, I'm going to post these one time only and just hope someone adds them to the OP. For too many previously answered questions and myths floating around here at the moment.

uGridsToLoad is (should be) a harmless setting to play with if you know how to restore your saves. As said before, your save becomes effectively 'bound' to the value you specify and will crash the game if you try it with a lower value. What you need to do is load the save with the value it was saved at, then rewrite and refresh the ini, then save again. Here's how:

1) Load game with uGridsToLoad at the 'safe' setting - the one it was at when you saved.
2) Load the save, which should load correctly.
3) Open the console and type the following:

setini "ugridstoload:general" 5
saveini
refreshini

This has restored the uGridsToLoad setting to its default while your save is already open.

4) Save the game. The save you create now will work at any uGrids setting from the default up.

A Large Address Aware patch to the TESV.exe is essential for safe uGrids tweaking, and even then the results are entirely subject to your system specs and the drive you're running the game from. You're totally overloading the game's streaming system by doing this, so you'll probably need the entire game installed on an SSD for stability and performance. The aforementioned exe is a 32bit application that can't, by default, use more than 2gb of RAM. This is insufficient. By following this (very simple) method, you can give Skyrim full access to all the RAM it needs, provided you have enough:

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112556

Doing this can solve a whole range of problems, from instability when taking screenshots to random CTDs. One thing it won't do is create problems. If you're getting them after doing it, the problem is somewhere else.

I'm playing the game at 2160p with FXAA (no multisampling - that's a performance killer) and it's smooth as butter, so these tweaks do work. As with Oblivion, though, once you've taken all the necessary steps, only the intricate configuration of your PC can really determine how stable they are.

Something else to bear in mind is that this is with a vanilla install. In all likelihood, once a significant HD texture mod arrives, uGridsToLoad will become a much more volatile thing to play with.

Game is awesome. The end.

JaseC

KKRT00 said:
Yep, especially after uGrid tweak.

I've left the uGrid cvar well alone. :p Still, this is the second time in ~2 hours that the game has closed. It's not overly bothersome as I find myself saving every time I enter a building or a previously undiscovered area, however the issue is certainly one I'd prefer to play without.

Are mods working for You? I downloaded armor, cloths and face improvements and i dont see any change at all.

Can't help you there, sorry. I'm not using any mods.

JaseC said:

Happens to me every now and then, yeah.

Durante said:
There should be 2 files. Are you looking in [user]\Documents\My Games\Skyrim ?

I wasn't. Many thanks, good sir.

Durante

Just addding to what Octagon said above, I'd suggest the Large Adress Aware tweak even if you're not increasing the grids value. It greatly increased stability in Oblivion, so I did it even before I started playing Skyrim. As I said earlier I haven't had a single crash yet, so it certainly doesn't hurt.

One other thing regarding uGridsToLoad. You should probably read and apply this information from the excellent TweakGuides.com. This is for Oblivion but evidently applies to Skyrim as well.

Memory Tweaks:

uInterior Cell Buffer=3
uExterior Cell Buffer=36

The above values determine how many cells (whether for interior or exterior areas) are buffered into RAM. Note that usually the value of the Exterior Cell Buffer variable is automatically set by the engine based on the size of the uGridstoLoad variable. The higher that variable is, the higher the engine will raise this value. However if you want to smooth out your FPS, try manually setting a higher value for both of these, depending on how much RAM you have. For 1GB I recommend doubling the values (6 and 72 respectively). For 2GB of RAM, I use 16 and 102 respectively. For higher amounts of RAM, try raising them higher, however note that you should also raise the iPreloadSizeLimit value below.

iPreloadSizeLimit=26214400 - This setting appears to determine the maximum amount (in bytes) of RAM allowed for preloading game data. The higher the value, the more chance you have of reducing stuttering. The default value equates to around 25MB (divide the setting by 1024 to get KB, then by 1024 again to get MB). For those with 1GB of system RAM, try doubling the variable to 52428800. For those with 2GB, try double again at 104857600 (100MB). You can raise these values even further to experiment, however note that raising this to a large amount doesn't force all the game data to sit in RAM, and can actually cause crashes. I suggest the maximum anyone should set this to should be around 262144000 (250MB), even for 2GB of RAM. Make sure to raise your Cell Buffer values accordingly (see above).

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Why is in graphics adapter it is saying I have a Geforce 8800 GS when I got a AMD cross fire 6970?

FuKuy

M_A_C said:
I couldn't figure out how to take a screenshot

STEAM have built-in screenshots manager. Use F12 to take a screenshot. Once you exit the game you'll be able to upload to your STEAM Community profile or even share on Facebook.

spk

What do these default to? Mine are set to weird numbers for some reason

fTreesMidLODSwitchDist=1e+007
fMeshLODLevel2FadeDist=1e+007
fMeshLODLevel1FadeDist=1e+007

my shadowmask=1 setting keeps changing back to 3 too...

Truant

The "shadow" fix caused all indoor shadows to disappear. I'm leaving the config vanilla except for tree and rock shadows.

Kyaw

@ Octagon: I'm assuming you are running your Skyrim from a SSD?

I got 13 fps here with Octagon's ini files and Large Address Aware. :lol

Phenom II X4 3.6ghz
GTX 480 1.5gb
4gb DDR2 RAm
Running from 1TB 7200rpm

Durante

spk said:
What do these default to? Mine are set to weird numbers for some reason

fTreesMidLODSwitchDist=1e+007
fMeshLODLevel2FadeDist=1e+007
fMeshLODLevel1FadeDist=1e+007
That's just 10000000.0 (which is actually the default value on ultra) written in scientific notation. Don't worry about it.

spk

DEO3 said:
I tried posting this in the OT, but that thread moves so fast no one even saw it.

I recorded this earlier today, it's what happens in every building I enter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62WxpW_aZXo

Does anyone have any idea what's causing this? It was funny at first, but has long since worn out its welcome. I'd like to be able to be able to do business in a store, or store something in my home, without having to fear for my life.
Limit your fps. The physics and mouse speed act up depending on your FPS

DoctorZ

TheOctagon said:
Okay, I'm going to post these one time only and just hope someone adds them to the OP. For too many previously answered questions and myths floating around here at the moment.

uGridsToLoad is (should be) a harmless setting to play with if you know how to restore your saves. As said before, your save becomes effectively 'bound' to the value you specify and will crash the game if you try it with a lower value. What you need to do is load the save with the value it was saved at, then rewrite and refresh the ini, then save again. Here's how:

1) Load game with uGridsToLoad at the 'safe' setting - the one it was at when you saved.

saveini
refreshini

This has restored the uGridsToLoad setting to its default while your save is already open.

4) Save the game. The save you create now will work at any uGrids setting from the default up.

A Large Address Aware patch to the TESV.exe is essential for safe uGrids tweaking, and even then the results are entirely subject to your system specs and the drive you're running the game from. You're totally overloading the game's streaming system by doing this, so you'll probably need the entire game installed on an SSD for stability and performance. The aforementioned exe is a 32bit application that can't, by default, use more than 2gb of RAM. This is insufficient. By following this (very simple) method, you can give Skyrim full access to all the RAM it needs, provided you have enough:

Doing this can solve a whole range of problems, from instability when taking screenshots to random CTDs. One thing it won't do is create problems. If you're getting them after doing it, the problem is somewhere else.

I'm playing the game at 2160p with FXAA (no multisampling - that's a performance killer) and it's smooth as butter, so these tweaks do work. As with Oblivion, though, once you've taken all the necessary steps, only the intricate configuration of your PC can really determine how stable they are.

Something else to bear in mind is that this is with a vanilla install. In all likelihood, once a significant HD texture mod arrives, uGridsToLoad will become a much more volatile thing to play with.

Answered two questions I had, thanks.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
TheOctagon said:

saveini
refreshini

This will be the default ugrids guide in the OP so if you make additions, let me know via PM, thanks!

And to those with links and materials in the OP, PLEASE KEEP YOUR LINKS ACTIVE AND IMAGES UPLOADED :)

If anything changes, please PM me.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Any of you install the detailed faces and / or no more blocky faces mods? Am I, uh, missing something obvious here? Neither mod will work for me, yet I'm positive I put them where I'm supposed to.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Grrrr, I don't know why but my game keeps crashing when I try to load and it keeps saying my render is Geforce. Anyone here with a AMD 6970 that can send there render info document?

DoctorZ

using TheOctagon's ini files I launch the skyrim launcher and it detects my settings. Is this changing the ini files?

edit: nvm just launched straight from TESV no problem.

Kyaw

DoctorZ said:
using TheOctagon's ini files I launch the skyrim launcher and it detects my settings. Is this changing the ini files?

You need to change the resolution settings and the graphic card name.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
God damn pain in the ass... I really don't want to leave ugrids tweak behind because it does so much, but on the other hand the random CTDs are maddening.

spk

GuiltybyAssociation said:
Any of you install the detailed faces and / or no more blocky faces mods? Am I, uh, missing something obvious here? Neither mod will work for me, yet I'm positive I put them where I'm supposed to.
Have you tried loading loose files in the Data menu from the Skyrim launcher?

JaseC

Corky said:
God damn pain in the ass... I really don't want to leave ugrids tweak behind because it does so much, but on the other hand the random CTDs are maddening.

The game quits regardless of the settings in play. I've experienced the issue using the vanilla Ultra inis, tweaked inis without the uGrids cvar, and now with tweaked inis that incorporate the uGrids cvar. There's no excuse for this bug being present in the game.

spk said:

You really shouldn't need to do anything. You don't even need the usual ArchiveInvalidation method to get the new files working. So long as he's put the meshes and texture folders in his Skyrim/Data folder they should work.

Wazzim

Banned
I can confirm that 8xMSAA has no impact on performance compared to 4xMSAA (I have an 1gb card).
I can also confim that setting shadows on 'high' improves fps with a big amount but does not make the shadows look that much worse.

LiquidMetal14

Wazzim said:
I can confirm that 8xMSAA has no impact on performance compared to 4xMSAA (I have an 1gb card).
I can also confim that setting shadows on 'high' improves fps with a big amount but does not make the shadows look that much worse.
I toned mine down to 4x and posted pics yesterday. Funny enough, the game defaults me to 8 but I still turned it down. I will also try the shadow fix in the OP.

It also seems like you should not launch from the launcher since it may tinker with your settings. I know the Witcher 2 did this to me a lot if I accidentally popped into the config tool, my ini settings would not stay the same. So setting your steam shortcut to the direct ESV exe may be better. I think I will put that in the OP.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
spk said:

TheOctagon said:
You really shouldn't need to do anything. You don't even need the usual ArchiveInvalidation method to get the new files working. So long as he's put the meshes and texture folders in his Skyrim/Data folder they should work.

I just rechecked. One of these mods came inside a Data folder already and I maybe kinda sorta threw that into the Data folder I already had, instead of taking everything out. Slightly embarrassing! At least I'm good to go now, heh.

LiquidMetal14

GuiltybyAssociation said:
I just rechecked. One of these mods came inside a Data folder already and I maybe kinda sorta threw that into the Data folder I already had, instead of taking everything out. Slightly embarrassing! At least I'm good to go now, heh.
We all have that blonde moment /pats on back :p

Top Bottom