• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim PC Performance discussion

What's the best way to make the shadows less blocky? I've tried reducing the distance of the external shadows to 4000 from 8000 default but they're still blocky. And can the shadows on the body be enhanced at all? The game looks great but those shadows....

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm loving the ENB mod, but man, the performance hit is significant. It goes from 60 fps
perfect to ~45 fps most of the time.

Stock
84afcd3e04ea9f9a66aa2561781b418dcee43092.jpg

Mod
c8d6a2feeb8e0b618545c9714ec65d0930dd79e8.jpg

What's the best way to make the shadows less blocky? I've tried reducing the distance of the external shadows to 4000 from 8000 default but they're still blocky. And can the shadows on the body be enhanced at all? The game looks great but those shadows....

The only way to really, quickly and efficiently fix all shadows, is by using an ENB 0.113 or later mod. (make sure you get a ENB 0.113 or later! The others don't include the shadow fix).

Check out enhanced motion picture ENB (can't link, at work), but its the best ENB out there so far. About 2-5 FPS loss, and maybe 2-3 more if you enable the shadow fixes. Check out my video on that page to access the shadow fix settings, that you need to edit in yourself (or maybe its an optional download now, I can't remember. I made a video of like the v1.2 of his ENB).

Let me know if this helps =)

The iblurdeferredshadowmask setting will soften them, try setting it to 5.

I reinstalled and I'll be updating my own config soon.

475c1f993b22854eac00ae6b9931bd1dec3a91aa.jpg

Does ENB always blow out the sky like seen in this thread? If I look at the sky I don't just see an indistinct white glow.

Depends entirely on the settings.

Souther

Banned
Man, no matter how many ENB's i try in the end I just come back to Vanilla. So far I think my fav ENB is Opethfeldt's 4.0.

One thing i have found with almost every single ENB is that it totally ruins the Snowflake effect the vanilla game has...It just like totally makes it disappear. I have been in many snowstorms in my life when I lived in the country at night and i can say that Vanilla skyrim does this very very well.

I went on Vacation to my parents in August...They live in the country about 20miles outside the city...we were sitting at a bonfire around 12-1am and it being the only light source besides the stars and moon, you can't see shit if you get up and walk 5 feet in the opposite direction. Therefore Vanilla skyrim lighting is pretty unrealisitic in this sense. It gets better when you move to an area with alot of snow but it's still too bright I find.

AColdDay

Go to the Bethesda forums, it's a clusterf#ck for a good deal of people.

It break Ambient Occlusion support, the new grass shadows seem to affect performance, and don't even look that hot (and they really should be working on fixing the shadows that are already there).

Really, I'm not having the crashing and gameplay corruption issues others are having, but ambient occlusion being broken is utter nonsense. I can't play the game without it after running it with it the whole time I've played it. Sure, you can use nvidia inspector to set a Fallout 3 AO compatibility profile, but the performance of the game under that profile is crap, and the AO itself looks like crap using that profile too.

Alright, having ENB enabled just means I have to anticipate an inevitable CTD. I have an i5 2500, a radeon 5770 hd and 4 gb of ram. What must I do to play skyrim with AO and not have to worry about the crashes?

Putty

Hi Guys,
Just upgraded my rig (i7 3700, AMD 7950, 16gig corsair) and have just bought Skyrim. I originally played on PS3 but now im keen to play and see it in all its glory. What are the best mods available to ramp up the visuals. I understand there are a few texture packs available aswell as Bethesda's own pack. Any help would be appreciated. I realise there are many pages i could trawl through but im being slefish 8)

Cheers
Anth.

hemtae

Hi Guys,
Just upgraded my rig (i7 3700, AMD 7950, 16gig corsair) and have just bought Skyrim. I originally played on PS3 but now im keen to play and see it in all its glory. What are the best mods available to ramp up the visuals. I understand there are a few texture packs available aswell as Bethesda's own pack. Any help would be appreciated. I realise there are many pages i could trawl through but im being slefish 8)

Cheers
Anth.

It would be better to ask at this thread which is the mod thread, but the OP hasn't been updated for a while I don't think.

I use the official texture packs, Static Mesh Improvement, WATER, weapon retexture mod, and Vurt's Flora mod. Some people like the Skyrim 2k mod as well. You should also look into the whole ENB stuff.

SnowTeeth

Banned
I was just wondering, has anyone come up with a conclusive set of skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini settings yet? There's lots of different combos floating around out there but I haven't the faintest idea as to what is best. I realize the ugrids configuration and system specs come in to play, I just hoped there was a superior set of known full visual settings and world stability configs that don't break the game - or computer, around.

Putty

It would be better to ask at this thread which is the mod thread, but the OP hasn't been updated for a while I don't think.

I use the official texture packs, Static Mesh Improvement, WATER, weapon retexture mod, and Vurt's Flora mod. Some people like the Skyrim 2k mod as well. You should also look into the whole ENB stuff.

Thanks. I have 2K textures, water (so much better than Vanilla), weapon retex, flora plus a host of others, but with some variation of what loads from each, such as I preferred some of the tree textures in 2K to what Flora has. I also have the better blood mod, smooth faces, better snow and so on and so on...... So far looks terrific with with everything happily working perfectly alongside each other, all looks really consistent with nothing standing out. SSSOO many mods out there it's pretty mind boggling. Ive been looking at the top 100 all time mods on Nexus and there are one or 2 more I fancy provided they don't break what I currently have. The mesh improvement mod us one of them. With all this loaded it's still running @60fps. I also intend to change ini settings to also whack things up! Thx again for recommendations.

Teleporter

Hi all this thread still lives?
Well anyways Skyrim sure does, best game ever for sure. Ok so im rollin`my 20003th character but i got this weird ass bug with my new cat warrior, i try fixing it but no deal, no references, no google help, no youtube similar bugs just me alone lol.
Anyways if you can please watch the video i uploaded and if you know how to fix this please let me know!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVbvzCVL2-E

MBison

I'm just now playing Skyrim for the first time. I have the official hi res texture pack and of course wanted to know the best additional mods I can put on, I love any extra graphical enhancements primarily. I've googled but most lists are 1.5 years old. Is there any more recent up to date list of best mods or can someone here help me out?

Thanks!

Hzoltan69

Is it normal that vanilla Skyrim (without even the official HR texture pack) at 1080p, no AA needs 1.1GB VRAM?
I recently had the latest patch and DLC installed and they seem to have broken the game - I don't recall having VRAM problems before...

The Llama

Just started modding it, and I have 3 issues:
1. I know Skyrim just doesn't work with 144Hz monitors, but is there any way to limit it to 60Hz without having to manually go into the control panel and changing my monitor to 60Hz every time I want to play it?
2. I'm having a problem where the mouse cursor (well, the Windows "busy" circle thing, actually) appears from the very start of the game. I've read that this can happen when you Alt+Tab, but I'm not even alt+tabbing, it happens when I start the game. Anything known that could cause this?
3. I can't even alt+tab without not being able to alt+tab back (it just gives me a black screen). Guessing this is a mod problem and I can't fix it, but figured I'd mention it.
Thanks.

Deadly

2. I'm having a problem where the mouse cursor (well, the Windows "busy" circle thing, actually) appears from the very start of the game. I've read that this can happen when you Alt+Tab, but I'm not even alt+tabbing, it happens when I start the game. Anything known that could cause this?
Get the mod OneTweak

Top Bottom