• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim PC Performance discussion

Erethian

I don't know a damn thing when it comes to this stuff, but I've seen people debate this numerous times. I think the consensus is that if the CPU were really doing the shadows itself, the game would run at 2 fps.

Correct. But that doesn't stop people from believing it.

Durante

I don't know a damn thing when it comes to this stuff, but I've seen people debate this numerous times. I think the consensus is that if the CPU were really doing the shadows itself, the game would run at 2 fps.
More like 2 SPF.
(I had hoped this piece of misinformation was no longer around)

teiresias

In either case, I'd forgotten I'd messed with the distance sliders in the regular game setup options. So I just deleted my .ini files, relaunched the game and let it autodetect everything. Then, I left the sliders alone and went and edited my .ini files again. Now, it seems to handle a shadow map resolution of 4096 @ 4000 distance just fine.

Am I missing something by leaving those sliders where they are? They seem to defaulted around 7-8 on most of them.

Gaaraz

Well who is holding this prisoner? Maybe if you get in good with this faction and look like you are one of them they will treat you differently.

Hmmm, thank you - no idea how to do that but I'll try. Its imperial guards by the way, I went to a big city, had to sneak into one of the main factions house (the two have lots of history and hate each other) and I found out the guy is still alive and hiding somewhere way north east

Problem is, not only do I have no idea how to get in with this faction, it took me almost an hour of wandering to get here - guess ill need to either try and take them on, or waste almost 3 hours of my life for no reason....

Hmmm, thank you - no idea how to do that but I'll try. Its imperial guards by the way, I went to a big city, had to sneak into one of the main factions house (the two have lots of history and hate each other) and I found out the guy is still alive and hiding somewhere way north east

Problem is, not only do I have no idea how to get in with this faction, it took me almost an hour of wandering to get here - guess ill need to either try and take them on, or waste almost 3 hours of my life for no reason....

This is
Missing In Action
? I thought there was a diplomatic way to resolve this but it seems it's a bugged or purposefully gimped quest.

Yeah, but if the shadows are calculated completely using the CPU (as is my understanding), how is trading off FXAA or another AA method (which are all done on the GPU, again, as far as I know), going to buy one anything with the shadows.
Those suggestions were made to reduce vram usage, to not go above your card limits and don't incur in stuttering. I think those are reasonable assumptions on my part, but of course i could be wrong :)

Edit: seems i was spot on.
In either case, I'd forgotten I'd messed with the distance sliders in the regular game setup options. So I just deleted my .ini files, relaunched the game and let it autodetect everything. Then, I left the sliders alone and went and edited my .ini files again. Now, it seems to handle a shadow map resolution of 4096 @ 4000 distance just fine.

Am I missing something by leaving those sliders where they are? They seem to defaulted around 7-8 on most of them.
As soon as you modify a .ini set it to "read only". When using the launcher to adjust settings it can potentially re write your .ini tweaks. So once the tweaks to the .ini have been made and the file is write protected what those sliders say doesn't matter.

What your shadow settings look like in your .ini know?

teiresias

As soon as you modify a .ini set it to "read only". When using the launcher to adjust settings it can potentially re write your .ini tweaks. So once the tweaks to the .ini have been made and the file is write protected what those sliders say doesn't matter.

What your shadow settings look like in your .ini know?

Well, I just launched the graphic settings so that it would auto-generate some new "baseline" ini files for what it detected in my system. After it did that, i left the settings alone and edited the ini files.

I think shadow detail is set to ultra in the settings, and I have Reflect Sky off, and I think Object Decale Fade is unchecked.

That's from memory, I could be wrong on some of those.

I then went in and edited the ini files, and I know they're not overwritten because my shadows look like I'd expect them to at 4096 shadowmap resolution.

I guess I'm just wondering what the settings are in the ini files that are associated with the Object Fade, Actor Fade, Grass Fade, Item Fade, etc. sliders and what recommended settings are for those as well. It seems like they don't change the actual image quality all that much but really impact performance.

Dries

I'm kinda thinking my performance is on the low side for my system.

I'm playing with everything on Ultra, 4x AA, 16x AF with a resolution of 1920 x 1080.

My FPS is between 28 - 45 (average) with the following system:

i5 2500k stock at 3.3 Ghz
8 GB ram
ATI 6970 2 GB

Does this performance seem right?

didamangi

May I ask what version of Afterburner you have, I have checked and the option to show vram/memory usage is not there at all. (I have the latest version)

I too would like to know how to show vram since I getting stuttering since the latest update as well.

Seconded, i thought i didn't have the option due to my version not being the latest one. But since Garrus has the same problem maybe didamngi could explain a bit better.

My version is 2.20 beta 11. The latest one is beta 12, download it here.

A couple of pictures for both of you guys to explain it better.

Click settings on msi afterburner (lower right corner) and find this in the settings:

0EaP9.png

If you want to track the memory usage realtime via osd, click the show in On-Screen Display.

As you can see after playing skyrim, my max mem usage is 991 (cutting it close there :D)

8KC7M.png

TheKurgan

Ugh, starting to get really bad flickering in dungeons. Not all the time, but enough to make me want to uninstall a bunch of the mods I am currently using. Can't seem to pinpoint the problem since the game runs fine when I am outside or in buildings. The flickering only shows up when I go underground.

Anyone else have this problem?

I'm kinda thinking my performance is on the low side for my system.

I'm playing with everything on Ultra, 4x AA, 16x AF with a resolution of 1920 x 1080.

My FPS is between 28 - 45 (average) with the following system:

i5 2500k stock at 3.3 Ghz
8 GB ram
ATI 6970 2 GB

Does this performance seem right?
It seems low, going by pure intuition i would say you should be at high 30s to 60 range.
My version is 2.20 beta 11. The latest one is beta 12, download it here.

A couple of pictures for both of you guys to explain it better.

Click settings on msi afterburner (lower right corner) and find this in the settings:

0EaP9.png

If you want to track the memory usage realtime via osd, click the show in On-Screen Display.

As you can see after playing skyrim, my max mem usage is 991 (cutting it close there :D)

8KC7M.png
Thanks for the explanation Didaman :)

I don't have the memory usage option in my version, so too bad. At what settings are you consuming 991 MB of Vram?

didamangi

Thanks for the explanation Didaman :)

I don't have the memory usage option in my version, so too bad. At what settings are you consuming 991 MB of Vram?

1680x1050, 2xAA+FXAA.

Using these mods:
- Bethesda HD Pack
- Realistic Water Texture
- Skyrim Flora Overhaul
- A Quality World Map
- SkyUI

That's the max, I don't track it real time so I don't know the average vmem usage. Too busy enjoying this awesome game :)

Anyway, have you tried using GPU-Z? It also have memory usage monitoring. (See pic)

1680x1050, 2xAA+FXAA.

Using these mods:
- Bethesda HD Pack
- Realistic Water Texture
- Skyrim Flora Overhaul
- A Quality World Map
- SkyUI

That's the max, I don't track it real time so I don't know the average vmem usage. Too busy enjoying this awesome game :)

Anyway, have you tried using GPU-Z? It also have memory usage monitoring. (See pic)

Didn't have it in MSI either but GPU-Z works great, thanks for all the help.

Help! Google is failing me.

I'm getting massive stuttering while looking around -- especially vertically. I disabled mouseAcceleration. FRAPS shows 60fps constant.

I've got 2x 6950s (2GB, nowhere near maxing out vram) and a 2500k @ 4.7 ghz.

Never ran into this before. Deleted skyrim and re-downloaded with no mods and no HD texture pack -- same problem.

On catalyst 12.1.

PLEASE give me something to try! Thanks...

klee123

Anyone still getting CTD's?

I'm still getting tons of CTDs mainly when I try to fast travel to white run or a location which is far away. Is it due to my hardware or configuration? Even after all of these patches, the game still crashes.

Seriously, I'm fustrated as hell.

Skeyser

I'm getting massive stuttering while looking around -- especially vertically. I disabled mouseAcceleration. FRAPS shows 60fps constant.

Never ran into this before. Deleted skyrim and re-downloaded with no mods and no HD texture pack -- same problem.

On catalyst 12.1.

Try window mod, I had the same issue and it fixed it.

If it works there's a mod that allows you to play in borderless window mode. For some reason Beth didn't include this option.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=4

ACE 1991

On catalyst 12.1.

I had an issue with lots of stuttering while turning. Try using dxtory or any other frame limiter, it completely fixed this issue for me.

Hey guys,

Was looking at picking this up for my gaming notebook

What kind of performance can I expect after all dose patches?

GT460m
Q740 @ 1.73ghz
8gb ram
Win7 64

Thanks!

Quick question.

Using default graphics, how do I disable bloom/HDR. Just after the game was released there was definitely a mod or a program that allowed you remove bloom but keep the rest of the post processing effects. Can't for the life of me find the damn thing now.

Want default graphics, just want to turn the damn eye bloom crap off.

I know I did it around launch, now I can't remember how.

Haven't played for a few weeks steam keeps saying patch 1.3.10.us not surpported yet wont let me update dispite deleting local content files and starting from fresh it still goes back to the same version and wont let me update to 1.4.

Any ideas, I've gone back to release state and not allowed patches but would like recent version if it will let me.

Anyone got any ideas how to solve my problem, why won't my game update or let me play it at all without updating?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I am getting an issue where some NPCs/dragons/creatures/etc are suffering from being semi-transparent. The Jarl from Whiterun for instance...I was talking to him and could see right though his clothes and armor in a semi-transparent way. The Dragon at Dragonsreach also suffered from this, as does Shadowmere(the black horse). Can anyone tell me why this is and what I can do to resolve it?

I am running Win 7 on an ATI 5870 card with 12.1 preview drivers. Only graphical mods I have is FXAA but even with that turned off it still happens.

Durante

I am getting an issue where some NPCs/dragons/creatures/etc are suffering from being semi-transparent. The Jarl from Whiterun for instance...I was talking to him and could see right though his clothes and armor in a semi-transparent way. The Dragon at Dragonsreach also suffered from this, as does Shadowmere(the black horse). Can anyone tell me why this is and what I can do to resolve it?

I am running Win 7 on an ATI 5870 card with 12.1 preview drivers. Only graphical mods I have is FXAA but even with that turned off it still happens.
You are forcing transparency MSAA (alpha-to-coverage) in the driver or some external program.

KaiserAlucard

Neo Member
I'm using Skyrim Enhanced Shaders FX Pure ENB 103j, when I launch the game shadows are nice and dark but after a few seconds they turn a lot lighter. Anyone know what's the problem here?

ZOVFL.jpg

033Os.jpg

i5 2500K
8Gb RAM
ATI 6870 TOXIC
Win 7 64
Catalyst 12.2

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
You are forcing transparency MSAA (alpha-to-coverage) in the driver or some external program.

Hmm...can you tell me where is transparency MSAA in my ATI CCC settings? I don't see anything related to that. *BUT*.....and not sure this is the culprit....I installed ATI Tray tools, but can't run the game with it turned on, so I always shut it down anyways. But could something within ATI tray tools cause transparency MSAA EVEN when ATI Tray Tools has been shut off in task manager?

Ricker

How does the Steamworks thing work? I have it installed and all but I can't for the life of me figure out how to install the Follower Fix content for example...I click on it,then it goes to the next page with the info on the mod,what it does and all the comments by others...I even hit the subscribe button but nothing happens...?

Wallach

Hmm...can you tell me where is transparency MSAA in my ATI CCC settings? I don't see anything related to that. *BUT*.....and not sure this is the culprit....I installed ATI Tray tools, but can't run the game with it turned on, so I always shut it down anyways. But could something within ATI tray tools cause transparency MSAA EVEN when ATI Tray Tools has been shut off in task manager?

At the very bottom of the 3D settings in CCC; the Anti-Aliasing mode needs to be set to Multi-Sampling and not Adaptive Multi-Sampling or Super Sampling.

How does the Steamworks thing work? I have it installed and all but I can't for the life of me figure out how to install the Follower Fix content for example...I click on it,then it goes to the next page with the info on the mod,what it does and all the comments by others...I even hit the subscribe button but nothing happens...?

Just run the launcher after subscribing, I think.

isamu

At the very bottom of the 3D settings in CCC; the Anti-Aliasing mode needs to be set to Multi-Sampling and not Adaptive Multi-Sampling or Super Sampling.

Ahh, that explains it. OK I will try that. Thank you so much Wallace, much appreciated.

Jijidasu

My client keeps bloody crashing and I am clueless as to why.

As I'm starting again I've gone back and forth with uGrids, mods and so on and it will either freeze (game comes to a stand-still, can hear sound effects in the background) or crash to desktop without any warning.

The only thing I can think of would be mods however the majority of my 'heavy' mods (such as textures) are pre-workshop. I have got that fan-made high resolution texture pack + Bethesda's high-res pack though, for which I edited the load order in the .ini.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Hanging to get back into it.

rockx4

Anyone still getting CTD's?

I'm still getting tons of CTDs mainly when I try to fast travel to white run or a location which is far away. Is it due to my hardware or configuration? Even after all of these patches, the game still crashes.

Seriously, I'm fustrated as hell.

I started getting a ton of CTDs when I added those "eye adjustment\blur" mods in addition to some lighting\shadow mods. I decided to just remove all those and all my CTDs went away. Mostly likely you have conflicting mods causing it.

My client keeps bloody crashing and I am clueless as to why.

As I'm starting again I've gone back and forth with uGrids, mods and so on and it will either freeze (game comes to a stand-still, can hear sound effects in the background) or crash to desktop without any warning.

The only thing I can think of would be mods however the majority of my 'heavy' mods (such as textures) are pre-workshop. I have got that fan-made high resolution texture pack + Bethesda's high-res pack though, for which I edited the load order in the .ini.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Hanging to get back into it.

I'm using a lot of heavy texture mods too and none of them cause CTDs for me. I've only had CTDs with lighting and shadow mods conflicting.

Manik

Ugh, starting to get really bad flickering in dungeons. Not all the time, but enough to make me want to uninstall a bunch of the mods I am currently using. Can't seem to pinpoint the problem since the game runs fine when I am outside or in buildings. The flickering only shows up when I go underground.

Anyone else have this problem?

Yep, I'm having the exact same problem. Only occurs underground too. Have tried uninstalling all of the mods I have installed, but still end up with the same thing happening :(

so over the weekend i overclocked my i2500k to 4.2 using AI Suite II's "level up" auto tuning thing.

everything went fine but my frame rate in skyrim dropped a good 7-10fps indoors/cities and 10-12 outdoors. i read a thread online that said this could have meant an unstable overclock as a result of power. i've got a 700W psu and the following:

i2500k w/ 212 Hypercooler HSF
GTX 550 Ti
8gb RAM
128gb SSD
Optical drive
4 case fans

is power my issue? forgive my ignorance, pretty new to the whole OC'ing thing.

squicken

so over the weekend i overclocked my i2500k to 4.2 using AI Suite II's "level up" auto tuning thing.

everything went fine but my frame rate in skyrim dropped a good 7-10fps indoors/cities and 10-12 outdoors. i read a thread online that said this could have meant an unstable overclock as a result of power. i've got a 700W psu and the following:

i2500k w/ 212 Hypercooler HSF
GTX 550 Ti
8gb RAM
128gb SSD
Optical drive
4 case fans

is power my issue? forgive my ignorance, pretty new to the whole OC'ing thing.

You should post the in the general "I need a new PC" thread. But the problem with those auto tuning software suites is that they'll go up and down repeatedly, even when under load. You need to OC in the BIOS for best results. It's not hard with the Sandy Bridge CPUs.

I am loving the nice additions to Skyrim with the latest NVidia drivers. I know that AO was there using nvidia inspector, but the performance gains really make the whole experience shine

Aaron

Hey guys,

Was looking at picking this up for my gaming notebook

What kind of performance can I expect after all dose patches?

GT460m
Q740 @ 1.73ghz
8gb ram
Win7 64

Thanks!
Should run fine on modest settings. Depending on your video ram, you shouldn't install the HD textures pack. I was getting decent results with a four year old video card, so the game scales pretty well.

wtf do these two settings I increased a bit really make that much of a difference in performance?

uExterior Cell Buffer=64
uGridsToLoad=7

Ive tried many ENB mods but they never ran good. I would get like 30-45fps and it would allways stutter. But without enb i would get 60fps on max at 1920x1080.

So I tried an experment and remove those two lines I added ^ and retested an ENB mod and now im allways getting 60fps!

Its incredible. I kinda was against enb due to the performance loss on my system but now its great.

teiresias

Is anyone playing this using an SLI setup? I'm running two GTX460s in SLI and effects such as fire and various magic "barrier" effects show through walls that are in front of the effect. I was able to ignore it when it was just the occasional torch or fireplace making a wall look like it was melting, but after finishing "Revealing the Unseen" I returned to the College of Winterhold to see the following (spoilers I suppose, but no sound, so you don't see much):

http://youtu.be/w6pbHc4eM9k

The effect shouldn't be affecting the characters or most of the lower wall. Here's what it's supposed to look like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqWw1M74tUE#t=14m28s

It works fine if I disable SLI and run with a single card, but I obviously lose a good deal of performance doing that. Does anyone have any clue how to fix this? I've tried changing the SLI rendering mode and that doesn't help.

I'm using the latest 295.73 drivers, btw.

Should run fine on modest settings. Depending on your video ram, you shouldn't install the HD textures pack. I was getting decent results with a four year old video card, so the game scales pretty well.

Thanks for the reply man

Completely forgot about this thread

Hey guys Im kinda confused about what tweaks I should be doing for my system.

I have 16gb of ram and my CPU is at 4.5ghz

Taking that into account are these settings I have ok?

uExterior Cell Buffer=108 (higher or lower?)
uGridsToLoad=7
iPreloadSizeLimit=524288000 (higher or lower?)

and also that Experimental Memory Tweak in the OP?
[Papyrus]
iMinMemoryPageSize=100000
iMaxMemoryPageSize=5000000
iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=8000000000

Ledsen

uGridsToLoad=7

[Papyrus]

I have that same proc and 8gb RAM+GTX560Ti, and ugridstoload at 7 caused unacceptable framerate losses for me. Keep it at 5 (default) unless you really really care about the small (IMO) difference in visual fidelity.

uGridsToLoad=7

[Papyrus]
Uexteriorcellbuffer should be 64. Try not to go over 7 because it becomes to unstable no matter how beastly your setup is. Regarding the other tweaks you should consider some of them do absolutely nothing, i remember early at the games release some guys were setting grassshadows to 1 when that command was disabled.

Others you should try if you haven't already are:
fGrassStartFadeDistance=7000.0000 set this to 14000.000
iMinGrassSize added as the last entry in [grass] try it at 40/30 or 20.
fTreeLoadDistance use 75000.0000
fLODFadeOutMultObjects= set this to 30.0000
fLODFadeOutMultActors=set this to 30.0000
fLODFadeOutMultItems=set this to 30.0000

Those ones make a lot of difference, the other ones involve shadow tweaks.

isamu

Is it trew that 1.5 patch is now out? any impressions?

teiresias

Is it trew that 1.5 patch is now out? any impressions?

Go to the Bethesda forums, it's a clusterf#ck for a good deal of people.

It break Ambient Occlusion support, the new grass shadows seem to affect performance, and don't even look that hot (and they really should be working on fixing the shadows that are already there).

Really, I'm not having the crashing and gameplay corruption issues others are having, but ambient occlusion being broken is utter nonsense. I can't play the game without it after running it with it the whole time I've played it. Sure, you can use nvidia inspector to set a Fallout 3 AO compatibility profile, but the performance of the game under that profile is crap, and the AO itself looks like crap using that profile too.

Dmax3901

I've given up on Skyrim over the last week, I can't really play as everytime I go to leave the building it crashes.

I think I've done something wrong with the Ranger Ridge or Water and Terrain mods. Too lazy to uninstall everything.

It's probably my setup, coincedence, or my nearing 110 hours, but man I've had some performance issues as of late. The only mods I have installed are the Bethesda texture pack and Space Core. I honesty took like a month off from Skyrim, but in the last three days I've had a crash to desktop everytime I've played. The latest was just a black screen when I went into a transition/loading area.

I really haven't ever invested this much time in a Bethesda game before, but man every patch they release seems to just break something or fuck shit up. Is this common or am I just being delusional?

Go to the Bethesda forums, it's a clusterf#ck for a good deal of people.

It break Ambient Occlusion support, the new grass shadows seem to affect performance, and don't even look that hot (and they really should be working on fixing the shadows that are already there).

Really, I'm not having the crashing and gameplay corruption issues others are having, but ambient occlusion being broken is utter nonsense. I can't play the game without it after running it with it the whole time I've played it. Sure, you can use nvidia inspector to set a Fallout 3 AO compatibility profile, but the performance of the game under that profile is crap, and the AO itself looks like crap using that profile too.

It's just stupid. How can a patch released almost 6 months later completely break a game for me and a good number of other people?

Until then, I guess I'll be lowering my settings to reclaim some FPS, and hopefully it'll remove some stuttering.

panty

I'm putting this here too, if there would be a mod or something for this.

Okay so I managed to delete my +100h save and I decided to start Skyrim again from the beginning. I have always played on the hardest difficulty and now when I started I can't beat anyone.

Playing on PC and I just noticed the enemies/monsters have regenerating health. Has this always been like this? This is SHIT. I'm seriously considering stopping the game because of that. I'm certain this wasn't the case when I first started my playthrough when Skyrim came out.

Top Bottom